Area Temps

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Timea in Barberton, Ohio

92 months ago

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with this agency? The jobs they post sound way too good, and I'm concerned there is a catch. Please let me know if you know anything about the company! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Cole in Mason, Ohio

92 months ago

Area Temps does have a lot of jobs but most of them are in the lower end of the payscale. Pay attention to what you sign. Like any agency, if they don't call you, call them back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Timea in Barberton, Ohio

92 months ago

Linda Cole in Mason, Ohio said: Area Temps does have a lot of jobs but most of them are in the lower end of the payscale. Pay attention to what you sign. Like any agency, if they don't call you, call them back.

Thanks. They called me to the office to register, but didn't go. It's a 40 minute drive so i only want to go if it worth it. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Bronx, New York

91 months ago

I've used them, their is no catch. They post high pay rates to bring in as many people as possible for their clients. They are a no cost service which means they make profit from the companies. I found that if you have the right skills for their companies you can make good money. I build control panels and have made $15 an hour through Area Temps. If your unskilled its harder and pay is low, around $9 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Avondale, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Timea in Barberton, Ohio said: Hi,

Does anyone have experience with this agency? The jobs they post sound way too good, and I'm concerned there is a catch. Please let me know if you know anything about the company! Thanks

Although they advertise high end permanent jobs they are a temp agency. Their high end ads are bait and switch. Be aware of this up front. I applied for permanent executive secretary work only to be told they rarely have that type of position, even though they ran an advertised job - then they called me repeatedly to take short term temp positions at a much lower rate - very annoying. I have reported their bogus jobs to CareerBuilder just to be annoying in return.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Audi in Cleveland, Ohio

89 months ago

JS in Avondale, Pennsylvania said: Although they advertise high end permanent jobs they are a temp agency. Their high end ads are bait and switch. Be aware of this up front. I applied for permanent executive secretary work only to be told they rarely have that type of position, even though they ran an advertised job - then they called me repeatedly to take short term temp positions at a much lower rate - very annoying. I have reported their bogus jobs to CareerBuilder just to be annoying in return.

Tell me about it. This group is an absolute joke. Not only do they IN FACT use the bait and switch method - they rarely return calls. BE AWARE of this friendly little group!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Todd Henry in Westlake, Ohio

89 months ago

This is a terrible temp agency. The agents are rude and will not let you talk to them on the phone. They also take a very, very big chunk of your pay. I happened to find out exactly how much the company they hooked me up with was paying for me, and it was about twice as much as what area temps doled out to me! They essentially take half your paycheck and don't even tell you about it! STAY AWAY FROM AREA TEMPS. You can save yourself a lot of money and trouble by looking at the job listings on their website for free and then sending your resume directly to the companies listed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Clare in Walnut Creek, California

88 months ago

You have to schedule an appointment with them, take several tests and basically keep following up with them. Mind you, they say it will only take about 40 minutes, but make sure you have blocked off about 3 hours of your day. I have years of experience, but found that they are more interested in getting the money from their client than they are about making a happy fit. Example, Temp to Hire Positions-If you already know, that after working the temp position, that this will not be a position you will want for the long term, but the client loves you, they will make little attempt to find you something else. This also is the case with Accountemps, since they are the same company, just different divisions. My last experience was pretty miserable and I outlasted many other employees, but their unwillingness to look out for your "best interests" was extremely disrespectful.

I don't see much "Best Practices" here. Also, keep in mind that each temp agency is bidding for the same jobs at the company, so if you are registered with several agencies, don't let the other one know, you have representation elsewhere. Otherwise, if your lucky, you'll get a nice earful from the account manager who just lost the bid, because they weren't fast enough on the draw and blame you because you were.

Bottom line...It is a tough market out there. You have to register with as many companies as possible to open the opportunity door for you. However, you have to take part, by nagging them and calling every day. Stating, I don't understand why there are all these unfilled positions online, which I am more than qualified for and you haven't called me. Do you need anything else from me?(put the ball back in their court)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Honey West in Portland, Oregon

88 months ago

CareerBuilder,is as bogus as they come , Some of these places need to be investigated on they really do. they do not tell the truth, of what jobs are open it is a ploy to get you in Then say that job is taken . then take the job off the board.!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kayla marie in Raleigh, North Carolina

88 months ago

FYI--Area Temps is NOT a division of Accountemps as Clare mentioned in her comment. Just wanted to clarify that for anyone who was looking to register with either agency. Area Temps is strictly local to the Northeast Ohio area. Many people get them confused with other agencies due to similar names.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JR93

88 months ago

This is from Cleveland.com regarding Area Temps. FYI

EEOC accuses Area Temps of discrimination

A giant in the temporary-staffing industry, Area Temps of Cleveland, violated federal law by matching workers with companies' requests for people of a certain race, age, gender and national origin, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission charged in a lawsuit announced Friday.

The EEOC's class-action lawsuit follows a three-year investigation into Area Temps' practices.

Area Temps also illegally profiled applicants according to their race and other demographic information, the EEOC said. And the government agency charges in its suit that Area Temps illegally fired an employee who helped the EEOC with its investigation and another employee who opposed the company's discriminatory policies.

Area Temps founder and Chief Executive Ray Castelluccio declined to comment on the suit, referring questions to company attorney Tim Ditchey. Ditchey couldn't be reached for comment Friday evening.

"I find it very disturbing that racial profiling of this type is still happening, 40 years after the enactment of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act," EEOC regional attorney Jacqueline McNair said in a written statement. "Discriminatory practices such as this should serve as a reminder to all of us that there is much work to be done in the field of civil rights."

The EEOC accuses Area Temps of violating the federal law that prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender or national origin.

The company also violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the suit said.

Area Temps, founded in 1987, employed nearly 8,000 people in 2005, according to its Web site, making it one of the largest employers in Greater Cleveland.

In some cases, the company failed to assign people for temporary employment because of their race, gender, age or national origin, the suit said. In other cases, it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BSH in Cleveland, Ohio

87 months ago

Better get your facts straight mister! First of all, you accepted an opportunity for a pay rate correct? Nobody forced you to take that opportunity. How AT gets their bill rate is really of no concern of yours. I believe that's how they get paid, as well as how they offer all of the benefits that are available to people such as yourself who cannot find a job on their own. Remember ignorance is bliss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Lake George, Ohio

87 months ago

I know that major corporations in the cleveland area request only certain races and ages, "someone with half a brain that is cute" I believe that is discrimination, correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

in michigan in Dearborn, Michigan

87 months ago

RE: Todd Henry

Maybe you should check your facts before accusing. I have been in the application process to be an account manager with OfficeTeam. Like many other, I am working hard to try and find a job.

In regards to your comment:

Fourth, it is my concern when an agency is getting as much money as I am to have someone to sit around and make a couple phone calls once or twice a month, when I'm the one driving to work every morning and putting in an honest day's work.

The job I have been applying for is one where I would show up to work at 8:00 am and stay until 5:30 pm most days and later one day a week. An account manager is expected to make at least 165 phone calls per week. They spend extensive time calling potential companies, looking for jobs for "project professionals" like you. The company is fast-paced and rigorous. I am looking at the job requirements and wondering how difficult it will be to keep up with the demanded performance. I think you should realize that there is ALOT of overhead cost and time that goes into finding jobs and qualified candidates. If you think that Robert Half International got listed in Fortune, Forbes, and Newsweek as a TOP company to work for by simply "making calls once or twice a month," you need to check your facts. Your rep at AccountTemps or OfficeTeam will work as hard as they can for you. If you don't like a job they offer you, turn it down! If you stand out as a well-qualified candidate, then you will be at the top of your reps mind when they find a great position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Todd Henrey in Westlake, Ohio

87 months ago

People who work for Area Temps might be getting screwed too. Our arguments are not mutually exclusive; we are essentially addressing separate issues. My concern is that Area Temps takes too much money from people. Your concern is that it gives its own employees too much work, or doesn't pay them enough, or both. Either way, the corporate fat cats make a lot of money and the peons like us go broke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BSH in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

Todd Henrey in Westlake, Ohio said: People who work for Area Temps might be getting screwed too. Our arguments are not mutually exclusive; we are essentially addressing separate issues. My concern is that Area Temps takes too much money from people. Your concern is that it gives its own employees too much work, or doesn't pay them enough, or both. Either way, the corporate fat cats make a lot of money and the peons like us go broke.

That's what Area Temps gets paid to do....FIND YOU A JOB. You would not have had that job had it not been for AT. An Agency can make 20-30% of an employees actual salary.
Mister you are very ignorant if you think an agency is going to find you a job for little compensation. You have no clue what it entails to find those "oppotunities" that you are complaining about! And many of these companies will ONLY hire through an agency. They do not want to bother with the interview process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Ron in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

part 2 I applied for employment from Area temps at least 4 times in Parma Ohio and once in Macedonia for employment at Rockwell automation… I was working with the Good will e55th street with Jeff (counselor).. Sent in a resume by Fax as requested.. on Tuesday 8th. April 2008 I have the fax and confirmation….. on Thursday 10th April I Receive a call about 9.45 about a position. And to come by David……After talking with my counselor and coming out to the Area Temps on Mayfield Road. I was asked for Id I presented ID then the wanted a birth certificate, I told them it was online on my secure site. They said that not acceptable. Then They asked about a social security card. I requested to see the supervisor. I spoke to him about what I could accomplish today…. And would have taken the test. However my guidance counselor had to a time constraint with GW…I called back Spoke to David Who asked for my social Then said he could not find me in the system even though I had at area temps 4 times since 1988 to 2002 and several id’s to prove it but Area Temp has failed to Find them in Their record anywhere…..

When I called them back today on the phone all of a sudden there were not any position available. And that I should not waste time coming in at completing the 2.5 hours to testing

every thing was fine on the phone and they called me to come in but every thing chnged once they saw me in person ... see i sound very different on the phone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Ron in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

How can individual have faith in our country when the country treats is own people bad..... The primary function to work and feed one's family is severly handicaped when employer's agencies, continue this practices.. .You tell your kids to go to school and get a education, stay off drugs etc. but where does it really get them when the system they and you put fail in fails. where then are they to go? A clear message need to be sent not only to the agency thru mass termination of parties envolved from the president office to the temp office,, then they should go after the employer that asked them to descriminate against these individuals/ clients.... but see this is why ohio is loosing so many residents as it is what is now 1500 residents a day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gray Gray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Your resume looks informative enough apply at this web www.indsci.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cluburich in Huntley, Illinois

80 months ago

Office team a scam? I sat and tested and tested and had an appointment to meet with one person who did not mention any of the testing nor how long this would take. I came in on one job listing in career builder and landed up being hounded by Robert Half. They tested me on bookkeeping and quickbooks eventhough I did not want to be a bookkeeper or that my degree was not accountant like at all!!!! I called on another job at another location and they acted like they had no idea how their jobs are being advertised. Saying that the Rosemont office can't take job orders in Rolling Meadows- but the phone number was their office and they new nothing absolutely nothing about the job. I think they are filling their files with resumes and basically wasting our valuable time and gas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

pinkie34 in Cleveland, Ohio

76 months ago

I was laid off from my job in April, and have registered with both Office Team and Area Temps. I took tests and interviewed at both places for office positions, and passed with flying colors. My background check was fine as well. I have eleven years administrative experience, excellent computer skills, type 75WPM, and have a bachelor's degree. Yet, neither place has offered me a position. I've applied for jobs repeatedly with both places online, emailed them, called them, etc., and nothing. These are jobs I KNOW I'm more than qualified for. Area Temps won't even give me the courtesy of returning my phone calls. And, with both places, I see the same positions listed over and over again. If these are actual jobs, why aren't they being filled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

CatRecords in Boise, Idaho

76 months ago

I don't get why they interview you and screen your qualifications and ask you all these questions about how much are you willing to travel and what your pay expectations are if they don't take them into consideration when they call you for a job. I was offered a job that paid 9.00 an hour and required me to travel over an hour to get to when I specifically stated that with all my qualifications if it was not in my district i would need at least 12 an hour. Has this happened to any one else. This sucks because now I am not getting offered anything else because they judged me because I would not except this position. I really could not afford to I would be paying more just to go to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen Farley in Lakewood, Ohio

64 months ago

The ads that AT posts are recruiting ads. Basically, they are ads to bring people in to register. AT has actually changed a lot in the past few months. It is hard to get a hold of anyone, but they cut their staff A LOT!

The reason it is hard to find a job through there is because they don't have as many as they used to. It is the economy. They try to help as many people as they can.

And just an FYI, the more you call, the faster you get placed. Trust me on this one.

The recruiters who call you for jobs have the corporate big wigs breathing down their necks constantly. Nothing is ever good enough for them. So honestly, people's best interests might not be taken into consideration. Just be careful. Make sure you know the pay rate up front.

And for the person who said to just send your resume to the client who they have posted on their website, this is not possible. They do not release the client's name to you until you accept the assignment. If you take matters into your own hands after that, they will sue you. You sign a paper during your interview regarding this.

And just to clarify the ID situation, you are told on the phone which IDs to bring with you. It is required by Homeland Security to have proper documentation. The administrator needs to see originals or certified copies of your identification and it can not be expired. It is the law. A law which costs a lot of money to break.

My honest opinion is that I wouldn't really bother going there at all. I don't feel that it is worth the time. And very few actually get placed. There are thousands and thousands of people in the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen Farley in Lakewood, Ohio

64 months ago

When you register in the past, your basic information stays in the computer system. That's it. They can see your address, name, and skills. You will still come up in a skill search if they are looking to place someone with your skills. The person who called you, wanted you to come back and re register so he could send you on the assignment. You are told what ID's to bring. It is your fault that you did not have them with you. This is required by Homeland Security. If you would have had them, you would have been able to complete the process and most likely would have had the job. In the mean time, they probably found someone else to take the job. When clients want someone, they want them now. They can not wait for someone to argue with them about IDs. There are others who are more than willing to accept jobs. And to say that you weren't hired because of how you look, that is just an ignorant thing to say.

Doris in Barberton, Ohio

37 months ago

They are a friendly group, but still no job. You have to call them back but forget about it if you have any type of crimal backgroud. In a nut shell that are a joke!!!!!!

freya in Cleveland, Ohio

28 months ago

I have been to a couple of their places here in ohio and I use a power chair strange I have never gotten a call back

Pinkie in Cleveland, Ohio

27 months ago

Area Temps is a joke. I registered with them a few years ago, when I was laid off from work. I did the interviews, passed all of their tests with flying colors, good references, etc. I still didn't get offered a single assignment, even after following up with them repeatedly.

I registered with their Mayfield Heights office, and the place was so unprofessional - a bunch of young people who were sitting around flirting and joking, and didn't see enthused at all about helping me finding a job. I believe most of the "jobs" Area Temps listed in the newspapers/online, don't even exist, but are only listed to lure in people to register, and fill quotas.

Area Temps also lost an EEOC lawsuit a few years ago, for sending temp employees to certain employers, based on race, for example, women and minorities (male and female) were not given jobs when employers requested white males. I've received a couple of small payments from the class action suit against Area Temps. Google Area Temps and EEOC settlement, and there's a bunch of stuff about it online.

I would stay far away from Area Temps. If anyone has any suggestions for any legitimate, decent temp agencies (Cleveland area) who actually give assignments, I would love to hear about them, as I am currently out of work again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

chering55 in Cleveland, Ohio

22 months ago

Just left the Mayfield Area Temps very unfriendly office. I sent them my resume last wk for local temp-to-hire position (which I hardly believes exists now), then was asked to take their online tests, which took about an hour at home. When I arrived 10 minutes early today for my appointment, they had me fill out another 10 pages of testing and skills info (with music blasting). And fill out by hand their employment application where you can't even fill in the address because the fields are so small. (couldn't do this online ahead of time?) Took another hour. Then!, handed a brochure about their policies of employment. Hello, Area Temps, the 70's want their money back!! And the 1860's want their slavery back!! $100 "No Start" Penalty and $500 (fine) Completion Pledge Package (have to complete assignment). No excuses--no sick, tardy, car issues, traffic hold-up, no unacceptable job, boss, inhumane conditions, perm job etc. Failure on your part on either of these issues means you are converted to Federal Minimum Wage if not termination. 120 weeks mandatory work before accepting permanent employment with their customer (who needs medical benefits, right?); and ALSO have to sign contract where YOU are liable for fees if employer offers perm position and doesn't cough up fees or only pays partial (fee = 25% on $25,000 job = $6,250). AND, cannot accept permanent work from their customer, their customer's affiliates, or customer's referral to another employer for 1 year if you did temp gig with them (or liable for fees). No unemployment comp if there's no work available after your gig. I read these two contracts several times while I waited for my interview and decided I needed an attorney to review them before signing on as an 'employee' of Area Temps, & excused myself before my interview. I think they just wanted my employer contact info (do they hire temps? checkbox) and salary ranges for their database. Also in packet: EEOC v Area Temps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pinkie in Cleveland, Ohio

22 months ago

WOW!!! That is truly disturbing, cherring! Good reminder for me to stay FAR, FAR away from Area Temps!

Lynn in Cleveland, Ohio

19 months ago

The information given by cherig is absolutely true. I know someone that walked out on an interview today because of these horrible policies. Just for your information, if anyone comes on here and has already agreed to these pay for work policies, it is highly possible that they would not be upheld in court. The best thing is to not agree to them in the first place. The practices basically bond you to the company. They would not be able to do this if we had a stronger economy. What they are counting on is that you are desperate. If sued, especially given they lost to the EEOC for some pretty disgusting practices in the past, a judge would jump all over them for this. So, if you signed and are now worried, if they come after you, tell them they can talk to your lawyer. It is extremely doubtful these practices would be upheld in court. To be safe, stay away from these folks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.