Placement/Employment Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Anonymous in Colorado in Pleasanton, California

88 months ago

I work for one of these listed agencies and would like to point something out.
We run our business telling clients that we can fill positions with as little as a few hours notice (which we do, typically with candidates that are unemployed and ready to work with no notice). When an agency specializes in temporary and temporary to hire positions, how can you expect them to wait for 2 weeks notice? My advice if you are currently employed, focus on agencies that specialize in Direct hire placements or search for a new job on your own.
Generally speaking, candidates do not pay fees for this FREE service. When you register with an agency, you have people working on your behalf to find you a job AT NO COST to you besides the trip to the office to register. We work very hard day in and day out to place every qualified candidate that comes through our door and wish that we could.
Shame on you for expecting something that is not guaranteed to you. Staffing agencies are meant to be an additional resource in finding employment, not a one stop shop. If an agency doesn't have luck finding you a new opportunity, keep looking on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Leonie

88 months ago

I WORK THROUGH A GREAT AGENCY CALL COWORKS AND IF YOU ARE SEEKING TEMP/TEMP-PERM THEY ARE GREAT. THEY DO PLACEMENT FOR SCHERING PLOUGH. A GREAT CONTACT PERSON IS (*name and number removed - incorrect information supplied)
GOOD LUCK TELL HER LEONIE SENT YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leonie

88 months ago

I WORK THROUGH A GREAT AGENCY CALL COWORKS AND IF YOU ARE SEEKING TEMP/TEMP-PERM THEY ARE GREAT. THEY DO PLACEMENT FOR SCHERING PLOUGH. A GREAT CONTACT PERSON IS (*name and number removed - incorrect information supplied).
GOOD LUCK TELL HER LEONIE SENT YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

annonymous2

88 months ago

I got my current career thru Office Team. They actually referred me to the company that owns Office Team where they have a division to help people who are already employed full time find new full time employment. This division got me my current job in less that 2 weeks. It may not be the agency, but the skills the candidates may or may not have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Waste of time in Rogers, Arkansas

88 months ago

Now why would you say, "Shame on you for expecting something that is not guaranteed to you." This is a fine example of how unprofessional and inexperienced this company is. I guess you've never taken or studied how to handle conflict. You just turned dozens of potential clients/employees away by that comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Danovis Pooler jr in Oakland, California

88 months ago

I am seeking a Computer Tech position in Oakland California:

My name is Danovis Pooler Jr I have experience with various Unix OS and windows y2k pro
windows XP home and pro and 2000 advanced server. In cisco i do ip routes ip address setting and gateways,My skills in Unix terminal program is converting different Packages ,updating and upgrades and setting permissions And setting ip addresses and creating users and passwords. Setting partitions and building PC's and setting up networks. In Emeryville California i went to what it use to be Silicon Valley College now is Western Career College from 4/2004 - 8/2006. I am trying to get info on where i can find work in my field if anybody out there know where places to go i will thank you and i be very very happy . If you want to chat my yahoo group is: UNIX78 and my email is: danovispoolerjr@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hawkins

88 months ago

This is a reply to the person in Colorado who works for a temp agency. Believe me I have been unemployed from downsizing just recently and ready to go to work on the drop of a hat, but Office Team, Manpower and other agencies that I gave my time for testing and interviews never call you for work. Believe me its not because I don't have great skills or experience. I am very overqualified for these agencies, but not to good to earn a check to pay my mortgage until I find a professional job on my own. These agencies are poorly staffed with idiots who have no HR experience or credentials. If they don't have work, say so, don't pray on willing participants only to leave them out to dry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

I have to agree that almost every temp agency is what I would call very un-effiecient. As a potential employee you go in to their office & jump through all the hoops they want you to then you never hear a word from them. Like I have read & heard, many times the agencies are advertising for positions that really don't exist so they can build up the applicant pool. I don't understand this concept when there are sooo many people already signed up with these companies & they will not call the people who are already registered with them. It really is cruel to do this to people who really need a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stargazer in Saint Louis, Missouri

88 months ago

I've been an Office Team client since the end of September. Here it is January and I have yet to be given a temp assignment from them. Every time I call them, they send me to the same person's voicemail to leave a message and they NEVER call back. On top of that, they thwart me for showing interest in particular jobs they have posted on their site. I'm so disappointed in this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pdumms in Fenton, Michigan

88 months ago

I cannot agree that all temp agencies are bad. After looking for a job for over two months after losing one I stopped at an agency. I was tested and they called me in 3 days for work and I've been working ever since

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashloid in Tampa, Florida

88 months ago

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!

A. RECRUITMENT AGENCIES: All this talk is BAD PR for you - do you realise how many people DONT EVEN BOTHER to apply for jobs that you advertise? Do you know that this results in BAD PR for the COMPANY you are helping? By becoming affliated with you, it only brings them down to your bad name. Such a shame...

B. COMPANIES ADVERTISING WITH RECRUITERS: Keep all these conversations in mind the next time you decide to fork out $10k for them to find you a new employee - seems like screwing ppl over is what they do best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Plainfield, Illinois

88 months ago

RHI's main headquarters are in Pleasanton so you obvioiusly work there. Your attitude is that your offering "Free" service, but you are making your living off of the hard work and skills of the employee's you place. The least you could do is treat them with a little respect instead of acting like you are doing all of these unexpecting applicants big favors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SY in Atlanta, Georgia

88 months ago

I have signed up with several agencies temp to perm and direct hire.......filled out applications, tested at 100%, talked one on one with a recruiter....AND nothing happens. No call back....even if I call to inquire about potential leads....no call back. Believe me....I am not slacker....10 years with the same company.....promotions...job eliminated due to reorg....I am really, really surprised that these agencies are able to get away with what they do...and don't do. I wish I could sue them....the application being the contract that they breach because they provide absolutely NO SERVICE, but, make soooooo many promises in their ads and during your interview. Any takers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juana in New York City in Little Neck, New York

88 months ago

I have the same problem you do. I had Essex call me twice with a job. They said will call you for the interview and then they never call. I have given up the employment agencies. Something is wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

Anonymous in Colorado said: I work for one of these listed agencies and would like to point something out.
We run our business telling clients that we can fill positions with as little as a few hours notice (which we do, typically with candidates that are unemployed and ready to work with no notice). When an agency specializes in temporary and temporary to hire positions, how can you expect them to wait for 2 weeks notice? Generally speaking, candidates do not pay fees for this FREE service. When you register with an agency, you have people working on your behalf to find you a job AT NO COST to you besides the trip to the office to register.

Shame on you for expecting something that is not guaranteed to you. Staffing agencies are meant to be an additional resource in finding employment, not a one stop shop. If an agency doesn't have luck finding you a new opportunity, keep looking on your own.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear here - anybody in their right mind will not register with just one agency just to jump at the rare chance of taking a TEMP position on 2 hours notice that may become permanent. And as for FREE - you don't pay for my gas, 3-4 hours for the interview/testing time, the 2 hours for any drug testing, dry cleaning, or especially for my cell phone, just in case you honor me with a call back. BOTTOM LINE: To register with one agency, may take up to 6 hours. My time is valuable, too. Do this with about 10 agencies, and the time adds up.

As a potential permanent employee, you have every right to register/apply wherever, and if you are confirming 3 or 4 jobs, you have every right to tell potential employers, you can start on a certain day. This is usual practice in most companies. If they are so desperate for someone that quickly- permanently - my experience is that this work area has issues.
I'm not expecting a guarantee, however, I do expect and deserve respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

tell someone who cares.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Get counseling, um? How about you do your job and stop wasting company time on websites like this? Gese - prime example of employees at recruitment agencies wasting work hours when they should be doing their job - get counseling, huh? How about you get a life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

hahaha..right! And you call me a loser..haha. Um..Yep..ah sure... hahaha.. you need help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Get a life and stop emailing me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rosie

88 months ago

I have to agree about the sordid situation at Office Team. I had worked for them in 197 as an in-house switchboard operator in 197 when it was a desk with only three girls running it. I tested well, I keep calling my counselor, got sent Skillport by email (a training program), but that's it. All I can say is call friends, local businesses you deal with (everything from your local laundress, landlord, hairdresser,grocery, etc. You never know. And touch base every so often. Drop off resumes when you travel anywhere. Find out HR managers from corporate websites and use their e-mails and phone numbers regularly. Also, as a thought: too many people have college degrees now. Many of those college required jobs are being outsourced
now. No one was urged to go to vocational schools since they were considered "second best". Well, I can tell you that contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc. have jobs that CANNOT be outsourced. Many of them make six figure incomes, don't spend money on useless corporate clothing, get government help for training, and don't leave college with a huge debt load for themselves and their relatives. Their money goes into their pockets right off. AND, (sorry aout this) they are far more interesting, smarter and less snooty then college graduates. And many can take off for vacations and traveling when THEY want to and a sick day out is not cause for nail-biting anguish. Women and men should rethink seriously if they want to continue working for a CEO who got his job through social connections, or keep making silly, repetitive Powerpoint presentations till you gag, and endure juvenile office politics that make you sick. I certainly am. Yes, I went to college (in Germany, no less; and it was much harder than getting a degree in marketing (what a bottom feeder)or business administration. Research and think on it, good people. I now you want to work. So do I. Get $300 smackers for unplugging a toilet for some idiot yuppie (takes about 1 hour)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Still Strong in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

ashloid said: tell someone who cares.

I did. You are the one that is out of place here. If you are employed in marketing, why are you venting and being abusive in this forum? We are here to support and energize each other. Job searching is hard enough without someone coming in, in the 7th inning making personal attacks. Karen started this stream. This was a civil dialogue until you and Pleasanton showed up - let's get back to that.

88 months ago

Karen - you misunderstood - I was supporting you and telling Ash... she was being rude. Not you. Look at my response, it starts with her comment: ashloid said "tell ..." - it was back at her, not you. With such a name so close to hemorrhoid, can you imagine where she's a pain?

Take a breath. I'm supporting that you started a good discussion and she should go elsewhere. That's all.

ATL in Lilburn, Georgia

88 months ago

Anonymous in Colorado said: I work for one of these listed agencies and would like to point something out.
We run our business telling clients that we can fill positions with as little as a few hours notice (which we do, typically with candidates that are unemployed and ready to work with no notice). When an agency specializes in temporary and temporary to hire positions, how can you expect them to wait for 2 weeks notice? My advice if you are currently employed, focus on agencies that specialize in Direct hire placements or search for a new job on your own.
Generally speaking, candidates do not pay fees for this FREE service. When you register with an agency, you have people working on your behalf to find you a job AT NO COST to you besides the trip to the office to register. We work very hard day in and day out to place every qualified candidate that comes through our door and wish that we could.
Staffing agencies do NOT offer a FREE service. You are being paid for your time and it IS your JOB to find someone a job that signs up. You are being paid by the company that you bill for your service. What a crock of s*** that you are providing a FREE service. I have my resume posted online and have "temp" agencies calling me to get me placed, only to WASTE my TIME going in to the office to find out there really is NO job and they just want to LOOK like they are staffed and ready to fill positions. LIES ALL THE WAY AROUND, from the people you have come in to "apply" to the companies you "say" you are finding workers for. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME TO GO TO ANY EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES. They are only about making a quick buck off YOU!!!

Brenda Howard in Cleveland, Ohio

88 months ago

ATL said: Staffing agencies do NOT offer a FREE service. You are being paid for your time and it IS your JOB to find someone a job that signs up. You are being paid by the company that you bill for your service. What a crock of s*** that you are providing a FREE service. I have my resume posted online and have "temp" agencies calling me to get me placed, only to WASTE my TIME going in to the office to find out there really is NO job and they just want to LOOK like they are staffed and ready to fill positions. LIES ALL THE WAY AROUND, from the people you have come in to "apply" to the companies you "say" you are finding workers for. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME TO GO TO ANY EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES. They are only about making a quick buck off YOU!!!
Amen! I had the same EXACT thing happen to me -- more than once! These agencies advertise for positions available, and jobseekers apply, thinking the advertisement is legitimate. Then we're contacted, informing us on the "many opportunities available," onlu to go to the office and spend 2 hours and interviewing, and you NEVER hear from them again, unless you really become a nuisance! Well, I've learned my lesson: NO MORE AGENCIES!!!

Brenda Howard in Cleveland, Ohio

88 months ago

EXACTLY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Still Going in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

stargazer said: I've been an Office Team client since the end of September. Here it is January and I have yet to be given a temp assignment from them. Every time I call them, they send me to the same person's voicemail to leave a message and they NEVER call back. On top of that, they thwart me for showing interest in particular jobs they have posted on their site. I'm so disappointed in this company.

Star - I like that - not to minmize your efforts, but, are you registered with more than one agency? I'm registered with at least 8 and haven't even had a nibble in 3 weeks - except 1 job that was 50% what I was making and the other two that were 1.25 hour commutes, one way.
In the mean time, see if you can get access to their online training, even if it's just 30-45 minutes a day. That way you are using that resource to better yourself and when you go to test elsewhere, your scores will be better. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rod in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

The testing scores does not matter. I've been with OfficeTeam for a very long time ( more than 3 years) and not ONCE have I been hired. I do Data Entry .... at the time I took the Data Entry test, they told me my scores was unlike anything they ever seen and was kinda shock ( I keyed over 15,000 keystrokes an hr.) The job was requiring like 10,000 keystrokes with a pay rate of 13 dollars an hour. They told me later that the job was filled and that they will continue to marked me available for future assignments/jobs. It's all b/s. These agent are simply building up their database by getting you registered under them and polishing up their database as a potential candidate for reputable companies that will hire THEM by seeing their impressive work of database of people like YOU and I. Pissed ? Yeah, be pissed.

Meanwhile, Im involved with suing one of the agency as we speak. I'll update on the outcome. Good luck to you all, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ATL in Lawrenceville, Georgia

88 months ago

Good for you!!!! Good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Looking for Real Solution in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

One thing I really don't like at all is being required to leave a photocopy or give your social security number, driver's license number, references, etc. BEFORE there is an actual job to pursue. I've been told that I won't be considered if I don't fill out 1099's, etc. This info could be provided after the client states that the candidate looks good from their resume and interview with recruiter. I don't like having this info floating around in their offices. This day/time, you don't know who their employees are. I have seen too many employee turnarounds in these offices AND info left on their desks - in clear view of other candidates. I don't believe my info is that secure. They may not see a problem, but, clearing up one identity theft can cost $100's and many, many months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

We know, sort of, who to avoid.

Let's try another direction. Can anybody share some GOOD recruiting companies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

88 months ago

Looking for Real Solution said: One thing I really don't like at all is being required to leave a photocopy or give your social security number, driver's license number, references, etc. BEFORE there is an actual job to pursue. I've been told that I won't be considered if I don't fill out 1099's, etc. This info could be provided after the client states that the candidate looks good from their resume and interview with recruiter. I don't like having this info floating around in their offices. This day/time, you don't know who their employees are. I have seen too many employee turnarounds in these offices AND info left on their desks - in clear view of other candidates. I don't believe my info is that secure. They may not see a problem, but, clearing up one identity theft can cost $100's and many, many months.

As soon as I saw this I had to respond. Never, I repeat NEVER give an agency any of this information unless you are starting a job with a set start date. They can not make you provide this information before a valid offer of employment, and if they do it is illegal for them. This is MAJOR EEO violations because all that information can be used as an illegal way for them not to hire you. I REPEAT, NEVER GIVE OUT ANY OF THIS INFO WITHOUT A VALID JOB OFFER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Justin - Thank you for your answers. You'd think that after working 25 yrs I'd have a bit more sense. Maybe just too trusting.

How do you answer a demand like this? I have not provided my SS# or DL# to one of these agencies. They called me to come register with them. I saw, printout was on desk in plain view, who they were reviewing me for. I company that I would NEVER work with.

How can this be an illegal way NOT to hire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Can I go to agency and tell them give back my application, etc? I did get this back from an agency while I was still there - told them I needed to make correction and walked. But this agency has had it over a week. They said they can't keep my 1099 long in their office.

Also, can recuiter send copy of your resume to client without asking you first? I've had this happen both ways - with and without my permission.

Thanks again. You're the first recruiter in the last 3 weeks that has given me some "positive" and informative feedback that is invaluable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Looking for Real Solutions in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

Hi Justin - you got me thinking - again.

Also, with same agency, they wanted me to sign off on some paperwork about low income something. I think it had to do with Work From Welfare program. I was told if they placed people who are working to get off welfare, they get a tax break. Yep - this is the same company that wanted to copy my social security and driver's license. In fact, there were 3 app's with - social security cards attached in plain view - even for a quick camera shot with a cell phone. They said that I was a good candidate for one position. I know they've contacted 2 of my references.
Can they forward my resume to a client without asking me first? I saw a sheet with my name and name of a company that I NEVER would work with.
You'd think after 15 years I'd know these answers. But some temp agencies work differently. I expect peole to be more honest than they are.
Last - this is a franchise agency. Is that what all agencies are? Thanks so much again.

88 months ago

First for the legality of this information. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits the discrimination on the basis of several different factors (race, ethnicity, national origin just to name a few). The ADEA (Age Discrimination in Employment Act) also covers individuals 40 and over from being discriminated against. As a rule, companies should never ask for your drivers license because it shows your age and also race. Can be obtained after job offer is made for I-9 purposes. SS Card should NEVER be asked for before a job offer is made. This is also for the I-9 and lets a company know you are eligible to work in the US. This should NEVER be obtained prior to employment. There have been numerous changes to the SS laws recently that state when people can ask for SS#.

For your second question, unfortunately recruiters can send your resume wherever they want. This is highly unethical but I see it happen all the time. If this is a concern, you should make sure that the company specifically states that they will contact you before submitting you anywhere. Alot of the larger staffing firms are bad at this, and it is hard for the ones that actually contact the person before hand. I can't tell you how many times I've called someone to submit them, they tell me they haven't been contacted by a recruiter, and submit them only to find someone already sent them there. Very unethical if you ask me.

If I missed something, feel free to ask any other questions you have.

88 months ago

Yes it is correct that companies that hire low income families receive a tax break. Its a government program to help people on welfare receive work. It gives an incentive to employers.

As for the SS#'s your example is a perfect example of why there has been so much SS card reform lately in the law. People are becoming to lax in regards to keeping your information private. Read my previous post about the other SS stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Oh for the agency part, no not all staffing companies are franchises. There are many smaller family owned companies. That is what I work for, it is myself, a marketer and 2 other recruiters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking for Real Solutions in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

88 months ago

JustinK said: First for the legality of this information. ... I can't tell you how many times I've called someone to submit them, they tell me they haven't been contacted by a recruiter, and submit them only to find someone already sent them there. Very unethical.

Justin - Please forgive me for cutting some of your quote, just trying to continue stream.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your answers. For a change, someone who gives the straight, cut to the chase answers.
I understand about the age thing, over 40, either too experienced to pay or too old to train. I was even told by a recruiter at a job fair to put in my resume, over 20 yrs, and not 25 years experience, just for this fact. The funny thing is, I've been told repeatedly, I don't look or sound my age at all. I have actually gone for interviews and recruiter would approach someone older, not realizing I was the 40 something inte.
Why in the world does a good company not want someone energetic and experienced to work for them? Don't they want someone professional that will be a credibility to them? I just don't get that part. Also, I don't have the mommy thing to worry about. I know that "do you have kids?" is an illegal question. Just getting frustrated that I want to work, I am an excellent employee, and willing to learn quickly.
PS: Got any suggestions for temp agencies here? OR how to get the attention of "REAL" prospective employers? I was at F500 company almost 20 years and laid off. Told I was "too qualified for" my current position. Yeah - I got caught in that age bracket, not young enough for lower salary and not close enough to retirement to force the "age discrimination" card or leave by attrition. Quite a few of the "older employees kept" had awful dispositions and attendance records. Me and quite a few of my co-workers had "exceeds" reviews.
Unemployment in Raleigh area is low. However, the higher paying jobs are in RTP (too far)-been there, done that.

88 months ago

Looking for real solutions, to answer your questions age should not be a consideration when looking at people for a job. I was just pointing out that it is illegal for companies to ask age or questions that reveal your age in a round about fashion (aka high school graduation date). Unfortunately I do not know of any staffing companies in your area besides the larger ones so many people have problems with. My only advice to that is to try and find a smaller company to work with. Do a quick google search on staffing agencies in your area.

Hope that helps.

88 months ago

Finally, A Real Job At Home ! said:
Many excellent work-at-home opportunities are available. you can start your own business and enjoy the many benefits it provides.
Register Online Now.
www.geocities.com/jobshome12
Thank You.

People, please do not fall for this stuff. Most of them are scams that require money up front or something.

88 months ago

Finally, A Real Job At Home ! said:
Many excellent work-at-home opportunities are available. you can start your own business and enjoy the many benefits it provides.
Register Online Now.
www.geocities.com/jobshome12
Thank You.

If you are really lonely and need a bunch of junk e-mail, sign up with these folks and you'll get "offers" galore. Like Justin said, alot of them "business opportunities" - yes, for them, not you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

Boy everyone has me scared now about identity theft by leaving a drivers license number and/or social security number on a job application.

I have encountered this while walking into manufacturing companies to fill out a job application.

I also did this with a staffing place in North Olmsted, Ohio, called Champion Staffing. I never did get a call for any type of work.

How does one know for sure if someone has tampered with their identity information?

I am also skeptical in giving out my personal information for a credit report.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Knoxville, Tennessee

87 months ago

Credit reports are also to see how "valuable" you are. That is screwed up. I was laid off and then was pregnant and could not get insurance. I have morals and ethis, but my credit is horrible!!! To them, I am not a vaulable employee, I guess (despite my college and other prof certifications). What a joke

Jeri Gurka in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

stargazer said: I've been an Office Team client since the end of September. Here it is January and I have yet to be given a temp assignment from them. Every time I call them, they send me to the same person's voicemail to leave a message and they NEVER call back. On top of that, they thwart me for showing interest in particular jobs they have posted on their site. I'm so disappointed in this company.
Same treatment here in Texas Robert Half Company is the Corporate office for them ,Direct your complaints there if no luck there try Better Business Bureau.

87 months ago

Rod said: The testing scores does not matter. I've been with OfficeTeam for a very long time ( more than 3 years) and not ONCE have I been hired. I do Data Entry .... at the time I took the Data Entry test, they told me my scores was unlike anything they ever seen and was kinda shock ( I keyed over 15,000 keystrokes an hr.) The job was requiring like 10,000 keystrokes with a pay rate of 13 dollars an hour. They told me later that the job was filled and that they will continue to marked me available for future assignments/jobs. It's all b/s. These agent are simply building up their database by getting you registered under them and polishing up their database as a potential candidate for reputable companies that will hire THEM by seeing their impressive work of database of people like YOU and I. Pissed ? Yeah, be pissed.
Meanwhile, Im involved with suing one of the agency as we speak. I'll update on the outcome. Good luck to you all, though.

Class action suits work real well

87 months ago

ashloid said: Get counseling, um? How about you do your job and stop wasting company time on websites like this? Gese - prime example of employees at recruitment agencies wasting work hours when they should be doing their job - get counseling, huh? How about you get a life.
you better look in the mirror when you say that!!!!

Ugh in Grand Rapids, MI in Allendale, Michigan

84 months ago

Pdumms in Fenton, Michigan said: I cannot agree that all temp agencies are bad. After looking for a job for over two months after losing one I stopped at an agency. I was tested and they called me in 3 days for work and I've been working ever since

What temp agency was this if you don't mind me asking, I have been here since Nov. and am beyond desperate for a job and have had the worst luck. Thank You

Elizabeth in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Generally speaking, candidates do not pay fees for this FREE service. When you register with an agency, you have people working on your behalf to find you a job AT NO COST to you besides the trip to the office to register.
If by "Free" you mean that no money is exchanced for your service, well that's a gross mis-representation. Does the candidate open their wallet to be represented? In a sense, yes they do. Agencies negotiate hourly rates and salaries on behalf of their clients, not their candidates. I know this because I work in HR and deal with recruiting agencies on a regular basis. Recruiting Agency X is representing candidate, calls us, we like the candidate and the cards are now on the table. How much a candidate will take home hourly depends entirely on relevant experience. If Recruiting Agency X tells the candidate their compensation will be $19.00 per hour, you can rest assured Recruiting Agency X will be charging us about $36.00 per hour. That's almost 100% profit for the agency. Same goes for salary. Say Recruiting Agency X is representing a receptionist candidate, and she says her low is $35,000., because that was her salary at her former employer. Recruiting Agency X will initially tell the candidate OK, then come back and say "Oh, the client isn't willing to go that high" or "The market is in the low 20's for these types of positions" or insert any sort excuse the agency wishes to come up with. That's because the agency cannot ask for $35,000. for the candidate if they are going to charge the client $8000. to place the candidate. So really, the service is not "Free" to either the client or the candidate. The candidate will get "Lowballed" by several thousand dollars to make up for the placement fee the agency is charging. Sure, they are in business to make money, but it certainly isn't "Free" by any stretch of the imagination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Grafton, Massachusetts

83 months ago

Elizabeth in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Generally speaking, candidates do not pay fees for this FREE service. When you register with an agency, you have people working on your behalf to find you a job AT NO COST to you besides the trip to the office to register.

I work at at small staffing firm in MA. I've been in the business for over 25 years. Any company that is charging 100% markup is not the firm you want to be with.

However, there is what is called the payroll burden. This inc
ludes FICA, Federal taxes, Workers Comp, and any other taxes. The cost can be anywhere from 30-35%. So,if we pay someone $20.00 per hour, it is costing us roughly 26.00 to put them on the payroll. If we charge a 50% mu, we are billing 30.00 per hour. The 4.00 per hour has to cover all the overhead and profit. You have to do a large volume of business to make a lot of money, unless you are with an agency that places high level IT or Legal professionals.

I agree with the majority of comments I've read where people have been treated poorly. It's definitely out there. For professional recruiters who are ethical, who treat the candidates as customers, and who build and maintain relationships, the "bad" guys are giving the whole industry a bad reputation. Look for small, local firms, that have been in business a while. They tend to have much better reputations.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Ann: Thank you so much for the well thought out, and nicely written response. The beginning of my post was a quote from the original thread on Page 1; I hope this does not cause confusion for readers.

You are correct in your hypothesis that my industry is in the legal profession, hence the higher rates. My supervisor has developed an exclusive relationship with 2 small, independent agencies and will not explore other options. This is quite a drawback, as their talent pool can be rather shallow. Epanding to include other agencies would allow us a wider range of talent to choose from. It is unfortunate for the firm that there are more qualified candidates out there, but we rarely see them due to the previously established relationship with said agencies.

Part of my responsibities include processing the paperwork for temps/new hires, and I do see the numbers. What we are charged does seem a bit much.

Please allow me to say I do have sincere, and genuine empathy for what it takes to land a job in this economy. My personal experience included signing up with no less than 3 dozen agencies, who all promised me the moon but ultimately did not deliver. It wasn't until I landed at 1 of the 2 agencies that my firm uses that my luck turned around. So it's a bit of a catch 22 in that while I'm grateful to be employed, it almost doesn't seem completely above board.

Hope this post will shed a little light on how things can sometimes work. Best of luck, and Godspeed to everyone out there looking for employment. Always remember that you are worthy of being treated with respect, and eserve a living wage.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.