How to get a job at Panera Bread.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Host

Do you work at Panera Bread? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

bakerygirl in Sebring, Florida

85 months ago

It's important to watch for when they open new Panera's because thats when the training stores are on "alert" to interview all possible candidates. Atleast the best time to get your foot in the door. Research the company so you are knowledgeable about their products, their core values, and what kind? of employee they're looking for. Be prepared to do Several interviews. Panera Bread want quality employees who want to stay long-term with them. Generally you will find Panera Bread managers are all genuinely exicted and committed to their jobs which i found refreshing! Once you make it thru the time-consuming interview process, then you must wait for their decision to be made. This company has great benefits and is a growing company that promotes within.Dont be afraid to do a "call-back" and check the status of the position. Show assertion, enthusiam, and genuine interest in the position you apply for. Be ready to state your long-term goals for the future, and do Dress for Sucuss to the interviews. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

labdad29681 in Simpsonville, South Carolina

72 months ago

I've tried for 2 years in 2 states (GA & SC) to get a job with Panera as an entry level baker (nights).

First, let me explain that I do NOT have a baking background outside of working in a relative's small bakery as a teenager (25 years ago). I'm tired of working desk jobs and love baking so I want to get started as a baker. I interviewed with Panera in Duluth GA after getting a quick response to sending a resume to a Craigslist ad. I have 9 years experience in food service operations mgmt. They knew before they called me in to interview that I didn't have experience as a baker. I got to the interview 15 minutes early, met with a very nice person and they gave me maybe 3 minutes of their time (after driving 45 minutes to get there) and said "we're only looking for experienced bakers. Go get some experience and come back and see us!" I was floored!!! Why did they call me in the first place??? Not sure but think it might also have something to do with the fact that I wear hearing aids as the person kept staring at them and raised their voice in a louder tone like I was Helen Keller or something.

So, I moved from GA to Greenville SC. Applied again using the same resume. I got a call from a woman named Frances at 7:30pm one evening wanting to know if I could come in at 9pm the next night. I explained that I was out of town at the time but would be back in 2 days. I asked if I could meet with her then. Her response, "No, it's tomorrow or not at all!" Who gives someone 24 hours notice and an ultimatum to schedule a job interview? I gladly would have come in but I was on the west coast and no way I could get back to the east coast in 24 hours.

I tried to call Frances when I got back in town but I guess I woke her up and when I told her who I am and why I was calling, she just hung-up. No "goodbye" or "not a good time" or "call me later", just hung-up!

What's the deal Panera?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Retalos_Ferocious in Mystic, Connecticut

59 months ago

Well, I had my orientation with Panera and it was pretty basic. I was given the run-down of the company policies; no necklaces, one ring, no piercings, tattoos must be covered, dress code is polo shirt with no logos and khaki pants, not cargo pants. I was also given a nifty little visor, explained that their trainings are in sessions or sections. Roughly two days per section and over a 60 day period. Panera has this 90 day period where they routinely evaluate the employees and see if they are a good match for the company. They will make sure you are serious about the job, take to the tasks of the job well, and genuinely see if you're going to do your job or goof off. I was scheduled to go to a second orientation called Planet Bread and that will be tomorrow. Rumor has it that they give samples during this orientation. :D I will come back soon and give a rough description of what happens. Another big policy they have is an explicit waiver that states that you will not give out their recipes. They also have something I find quite unique and really nice which is an employee emergency fund. If all works as it is intended, employees can donate a portion of their paycheck automatically each (bi-weekly) pay period and it goes into a collective fund. If an employee runs into hard times or finds themselves in a position of severe need for money, they can apply for this. I think it just encourages the company's image and outward belief that they like to take care of their employees and that they are dedicated to hiring people who like to help other people. They so far, seem to be a really charitable company. They offer numerous volunteer programs and donation programs which I think is really nice. I think the company will be a keeper. Will update later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

angela in West Haven, Connecticut

29 months ago

did you get and keep your job with panera?? i am interviewing on 7/6/2012 for the day baker position..just wondering if you could give me any insite...thanks :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Retalos_Ferocious in Mystic, Connecticut

29 months ago

I've been here since I made that lost and I'm now a shift supervisor in training to be a salaried management position. it's hard work but a great company! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

did you ever work as a baker first shift ??? i was just wondering what the hours were like??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

wilywoman in Valparaiso, Indiana

29 months ago

Does anyone have info on a catering coordinator position? What it pays? What the location in Valpo is like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

valriemc21 in Queens Village, New York

29 months ago

i need to know where i can because i realy need a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

valriemc21 in Queens Village, New York

29 months ago

angela in West Haven, Connecticut said: did you ever work as a baker first shift ??? i was just wondering what the hours were like??

yes i did where i was i use to open the baker to start the shift 6to 6:30 to get every ready to open at 8

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lmergner in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

Just applied for a baker and customer service positions. Fingers crossed. I'd love to learn more about baking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

hi i had my interview and now tomorrow i am going for what they call observation??? does this mean i have the job??? do i just watch do i do stuff (work) thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

bk1289 in Chesapeake, Virginia

27 months ago

To the emergency fund which is the first in the company it is not so readily accessible you have to be in communication with your superior reccommended for it as panera/st louis bread is a very large company it has to go through a panel as well I am very knowledgeable on panera practices as I have been with the company for over 6 years I have done everything to baking and work all retail store positions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Never Again in Holland, Michigan

9 months ago

I realize this is an old thread, but just in case anyone else reads this...I worked for a Panera store, actually got hired to help open it and lasted about 1 year there. The pay is crap for the work involved. And I see that Panera still doesn't pay their employees that well $8/hr isn't very much. $10/hr to be a 'baker' during the night shift isn't very much. And all the position baker means is that you take the dough that is shipped in daily and bake it. That's it. You don't actually need to know how to make bread from scratch, you just need to know at what temperature and time to bake it.

This is a young persons kind of work, because you will run your feet off on the tile floors. Management is always under stress because of the owners, so that stress always trickles down to everyone else. I became an Associate Manager at $8.50/hr. (this was a few years ago) I ran my tail off every shift I worked, plus had to make sure all the money was accounted for at closing and put everything in a spreadsheet in a timely fashion. You get 2 whole weeks of training and are expected to know how to run the shift soon after. I ended up going back to being just an associate because the amount of responsibility I had didn't equal that bad pay involved. Or risk my health over.

Like a lot of companies, they try to brainwash you at the beginning about how great Panera is, but don't fall for it, it's just another fast food place franchise that costs a little bit more than one of those hamburger places and doesn't pay you what you are worth for the work that you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

compgirl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

1 month ago

Never Again in Holland, Michigan said: I realize this is an old thread, but just in case anyone else reads this...I worked for a Panera store, actually got hired to help open it and lasted about 1 year there. The pay is crap for the work involved. And I see that Panera still doesn't pay their employees that well $8/ hr isn't very much. $10/hr to be a 'baker' during the night shift isn't very much. And all the position baker means is that you take the dough that is shipped in daily and bake it. That's it. You don't actually need to know how to make bread from scratch, you just need to know at what temperature and time to bake it.

This is a young persons kind of work, because you will run your feet off on the tile floors. Management is always under stress because of the owners, so that stress always trickles down to everyone else. I became an Associate Manager at $8.50/hr. (this was a few years ago) I ran my tail off every shift I worked, plus had to make sure all the money was accounted for at closing and put everything in a spreadsheet in a timely fashion . You get 2 whole weeks of training and are expected to know how to run the shift soon after. I ended up going back to being just an associate because the amount of responsibility I had didn't equal that bad pay involved. Or risk my health over.

Like a lot of companies, they try to brainwash you at the beginning about how great Panera is, but don't fall for it, it's just another fast food place franchise that costs a little bit more than one of those hamburger places and doesn't pay you what you are worth for the work that you do.

At least they paid you, stop complaining. do you realise how hard it is to get a job these days. not easy, and a lot of people are getting laid off. you should of hung in there and stayed. there are stepping stones which could of got you a better job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.