Commissions at Petsmart

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

thedogtrainerlady in Edinburg, Texas

70 months ago

Trainers are paid commissions on classes. There are coupons available from petsmart for discounts on the classes. One is from the Howl-o-ween party and the other is given out when a dog is adopted.

My store is basing commission on the class after the coupon.

So Class $109 Petsmart coupon $30 class now $79 commission drops significantly. So trainer is now making less money for same work.

Is that right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Muskegon, Michigan

69 months ago

I have not yet had this happen to me, but I have worked in commissioned sales for over 10 yrs and am now a trainer. You won't like this.....but the coupons are meant to bring in more business. Maybe these people would not be taking the class if it were not for the coupon, and you are still making commission off the class. Look at it this way....Two people with coupons are worth more than one person without, and ALOT more than none:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in Texas

69 months ago

Doglady I understand that they are meant to bring in more business, but the groomer told me that they still are paid on full price. This may or may not be true. However, at first I was told that petsmart store was reimbursed for coupons.

It has slowed down on the coupons for now anyway. I am just bummed that I am not making enough money. Oh well.

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

I stand corrected.....I have now had several coupons turned in. The commission sheet is not set up with a slot for "reduced class prices....", so I inquired to my area trainer. She said no, the store is reimbursed for the coupons and as a trainer we get full commission on those classes.....except for the employee's classes; we get no commission.

65 months ago

My manager has never let me complete the commission sheet even though I was told to do so during my training with the area trainer.

Iwas not paid for the coupon either.

I would love to chat with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rottielover in Williamston, Michigan

65 months ago

I have an interview on Monday for a posistion for a dog trainer at petsmart, I have 2 rottweiler that are 3, 1.5 years old I trained my female with the help of a training class, but I also trained my male on my own, both dogs have their cgc, my male received his at 7months old and is currently training for a therapy dog. I was curious to know if petsmart pays hourly plus commission or if its a straight commission job, I have prior sales experience so I think I would be able to sell classes, but persoannly I would prefer a job where both hourly and commission is involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

The job is both hourly plus commission.

Good Luck.

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

To thedogtrainerlady in texas....my ears are open to you! What do you mean, your manager has never let you complete the commission sheet?!!!!!

65 months ago

I had my interview today, I guess they have more to do through out the week,if I am what they are looking for then I will be called for a second interview, I think I came across very well, I have been around animals my whole life, even though I grew up in the city I had ducks, rabbits you name it... I probably have had any kind of animal from an alligator to snakes, iguanas, birds everything... I really hope I get this job, I have waited tables in the past and did some catering and the last few jobs have really screwed me over, one from no pay for training, which is illegal in Mich to the other not paying me for my whole shift... gets very frustrating..

65 months ago

doglady, I mean that the manager does the commission sheet. I was told during my training that I would be responsible for completing it every Sunday. I did it once and my manager trashed it and did it his way.

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

do you sign your commission report?

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

how long have you been there?

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

On the commission reports I do there is a place for you to sign, basically saying you did the report and it states that the report is a proper representation of your work. Is this the same report you did that one time? And is it the same one your manager is turning in? OMG!

64 months ago

What is the % you get for commission? I did find out that for the 120 training hours I dont have to go far, the same amount of miles then the story I went to for an interview just East instead of West..

64 months ago

doglady, I sign it every week but I do not get to prepare it. I have tried and he threw it away. I do not pressure him cause I really needed the job.

With the coupons we just handed out at the birthday party, I am sure to feel it in the commissions.

Should I pressure him? Where can I find the P&P for the trainer? My area trainer is not any help. I have tried calling and she seems to always be busy. My emails go unanswered. I have been the only trainer for 20 months. I did see that there are levels of trainers. Level 1,2 and 3. Commissions vary depending on the level. I am not sure how you get promoted from one level to the next.

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

OMG! Things are so different on my end. Where do I start? My area trainer is so supportive; to rottielover....I trained in Brighton. She is AWESOME; still very supportive of me and everything I do. If I come up with an idea I run it by her and she helps me "tweek" it or lets me no why it won't work. There are 4 training levels. Level one is when you are first hired. Level two is after you have gotten your accredidation as a Petsmart Trainer. Then you are at 20%. Once you have been there as a trainer (does not go from hire date; it goes from when you start teaching) for six months, you and/or your manager set up an evaluation with your area trainer. He/she comes to your store and observes you. They let you know if there is anything you need to work on, etc. If the area trainer approves, your manager has to approve it and do a status change for you. At that point you move to level three which is 25%. Level 4 is "senior" which is 30%, and that is where area trainers are at.

I guess I really wouldn't care if my manager prepared my commission report; it would just be one less thing I had to do! As long as your manager is having you sign it and it is accurate I wouldn't worry too much about it. But wow, are you at level 2 then? After 20 months, I would think you would be at level 3.

I have gotten a few b-day party coupons, but it is only a $10 coupon; class is $99 instead of $109.

If your area trainer is too busy (by the way, mine gave me her cell number so I could reach her, or I call her store and leave a message....she is very committed) see if there is another area trainer near you. Maybe they can help. I honestly don't know where I would be without my area trainer. Being a trainer can be very lonely....and when you really do something great there is no one in your store to share it with. Having my area trainer to call, at least with the awesome one I have, has made all of that difference.

64 months ago

The only time I have gotten 25% is when I sell over 10 classes for the week. Even then I had to remind him that he promised me the extra 5%. There was even once that he only paid 15% and I had to call him on it. He paid the 5% on the next weeks commissions sheet.

He will calculate the commission sheet using a sales report. The sales report will only give the amount paid after coupon.

What really bugs me is that he originally told me that the store was reimbursed for the coupon. Now he changed the story.

I have to admit that I am not a high pressure sales person. My area is a very difficult area to sell classes. So we are generally only selling 5 to 7 classes a week.

I never call in sick or miss work.

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

Doesn't your commission sheet say "number of invoices attached?" When someone buys a class, they get the pink sheet. The yellow and white sheet go in my "mailbox". The yellow sheet gooes in my binder with the corresponding class sheets and stays with that throughout the class. I put the white sheet in the back of my binder with ongoing classes, and on Sunday those are attached to my commission report. I can't claim a class without the invoice. As far as I know, the sales report is suppose to match the # of invoices attached to the commission report???!!!

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

Do you have help from your store in selling classes? Or do you sell them all?

64 months ago

The entire store associates are helping to sell. For the most part we may talk to them and they come later and get the class.

I do not always recieve the enrollement form. There have been instances where they have never made it to me. Fortunately the PP has their pink copy. Once we finally found one behind the register.

Just yesterday after a week of looking on missing one was found in the managers office. I am still missing one from tonights class. Have no idea where it is.

I should have the white and yellow copy of the enrollement form. White stay in the front of the book, Yellow goes with the roster.

I was told yesterday that they yellows were going to start going to corporate after the end of the 8 weeks.

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

We use to loose invoices all the time to. Now I start every shift checking how many sales we did the day before on fetch. If the invoice was not put in my box (which is what the cashiers are suppose to do) I go looking....and usually start by letting the manager on duty know who helps me. First I check the registers, then the "safe room." The reason I was asking is because to my knowledge the commission report is incomplete if the invoices are not attached. It is surprising that they can complete your report using the sales report. Also, I don't know how they can change your percentage from week to week, since I had to have a status change done to get it. It would seem like they would have to continuously change your status!

You are lucky that you have the entire store helping you. I sell 95% of the classes in our store. That is the biggest challenge...getting everyone to support the training department. Sometimes girls from the salon are approaching my students during class to try to sell grooming (when we are doing exercises in the aisles). I don't mind, but if I am supporting grooming, which has 15 or so girls working in it, it would be nice if they would push training, since I am a one man team! How do you get the whole store to support you?

64 months ago

Where is your box? I do not have one. I would like to suggest it to my manager.

Our grooming salon only has about 5 people so they seldom leave the grooming salon. They do sell a class for me now and then. I have asked them to address my class now and then but they never have time.

The biggest help comes from the managers and a couple of the cashiers. I make it a point to be very friendly and helpful to all of the associates. I think they all like me and try to help me. Plus other than a three managers and one cashier, I have been there the longest!!!!!!!!! They just don't last long.

You are probably right about the sheets being incomplete, but that is typical of my store.

Do you think I am going to be blamed?

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

We have one of those "tuppperwear" looking drawer systems in the manager's office, and each manager has their own drawer with their name on it. We basically use this for communication if we can't talk directly to them. I have one of those "in/out" type boxes you usually see on teachers desks. A legal size basket would be the same thing. It use to sit on top of those drawers, but they moved it to the room where we punch in on a shelf directly above the fax machines. I guess they put it there because I started getting faxes from vets for my students and I was getting upset that they were ending up in the salon! Anyway, managers and associates leave me notes in it too.

I don't think they could blame you for your sheets if your manager is the one doing it. It sounds like you may be getting shorted on your pay though.......you really can't talk to your area trainer? That would really suck.

64 months ago

Since I had my interview on Monday, do you think I should call and check on the stauts of who they decided to hire?

64 months ago

Rottie, I would call if I wanted to know. Do you have an answering machine? Could they have tried to call you and missed you?

I find that if they have called you for an interview the chances are good that you will get the job.

Did they mention the drug testing?

64 months ago

Doglady, I think I should get a box to put in the computer room too.

I never have access to the managers office and they are always busy.

Do you have a locking cabinet in your training area?

Also I got a look at the new calendar thing last night. I had asked one manager but he knew nothing. Then I asked another and she had seen it but its only available through a managers sign on link. It was supposed to be available allready but its not.

So I hope to get access to it soon. It looks awesome.

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

No, no locking cabinet in the training center.

Who normally sets up your calendar? We are kind of running with a "services manager;" It is not an official position, but it has been running well. She was doing the schedule, potty seminar flyers, posters, and some other things for training. I didn't like some of the things she was doing with the schedule, so I started doing that. But she is really helpful. It gives me more time on the floor instead of at the copy machine!

The new calendar is cool, but it automatically schedules classes all the way thru.....so I will probably have to edit it periodically. We were doing the same thing on a paper wall calendar, so it will be nice to not have to write it out anymore and it will save alot of time.

Are you still using the coupons for beginner and/or puppy? Do you have homework to hand out for intermediate and advanced? In our area, some are and some aren't. I heard they were trying to redo these things at a corporate level.

64 months ago

They never mentioned any drug testing I was in there for about 45 minutes with the manager, he told me he had more interviews to do this week and they would call me and let me know if they chose me then I would have to have a second interview, I only have a cell phone and I have it with me at all times.

doglady in Michigan

64 months ago

I had two interviews. The second one was almost a week after the first. The first was about a half hour long, and the second was only about ten minutes. They offered me the position during the second interview, and sent me directly over to do the drug testing. They never mentioned it during the first interview. As far as I know, all employees have to take one.

64 months ago

doglady, where have you been?

I am wondering if I should be concerned about being at level 2 after this much time? I did not even know that different levels existed.

Minium wage goes up in July and I expect that new hires will be once again making more than I.

64 months ago

Doglady are you a level 3?

At what point did you become level 3 and did you have to ask for it?

doglady in Michigan

61 months ago

Sorry....my computer crashed and I haven't made a major point of getting a new one this summer. So, I just wanted to let you know I am back and see if you figured out the answer to this question before I started to continue the conversation.

ahorsofadifcolor in Tolland, Connecticut

56 months ago

wow it's so nice to find other trainers that have the same problems that i have at my store! So after 6 months of training, is it up to you to talk to you manager about going up a level?

doglady in Michigan

55 months ago

ahorsofadifcolor in Tolland, Connecticut said: wow it's so nice to find other trainers that have the same problems that i have at my store! So after 6 months of training, is it up to you to talk to you manager about going up a level?

I would say yes. Just tell your manager that you are up for your six month, and ask what you need to do to make it happen.

Fred in Montréal, Quebec

11 months ago

My store also takes the coupons off of the commission for trainers and the managers do the commission sheets. I do them occasionally but am told to take coupons off and do an average price to account for the coupons. Didn't know that they get reimbursed for them. That really annoys me. Stopped using them so I don't lose money but as far as I am concerned, they have ripped me off for the ones I used in the past. Was going to be nice and give a months notice but just dropped to 2 weeks after this.

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

11 months ago

Policy reads net pay so taking off coupons in right. Id rather have a $99 or $89 sale then have the dog end up with a trainer who doesn't use positive reinforcement elsewhere. Also trainers are required to give 2 months notice or pay back commissions on classes that werent taught or completed.

Fred in Montréal, Quebec

11 months ago

That is ok. Will just pay the commission.

shizzle bay in pomroy, Ohio

11 months ago

I was just hired by PetSmart as a stylist and I'm just curious as to what the training accomodations are. I have to go a few hours away for 4 weeks of training and I am anxious. I guess it will be a few days before they give me the details as to the hotel and such due to them waiting on my drug test result. But I'm anxious and wonder what hotel they use? I know it sounds like an off the wall question but what are the hotels they put you up in like? Are they nice? Do you have to share with people? How much do they give you per day to eat on? :) Just curious and anxious to get this show on the road. Any info would be nice. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.