What's the company culture at PetSmart?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 114)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at PetSmart?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at PetSmart?

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Bend, Oregon

94 months ago

Petsmart has a very strict dress code. A Petsmart shirt that the employee must pay for. Tan slacks, brown or black shoes, a matching belt and socks that must match the pants or the shoes. No tattoos can be visible and only one earring per ear. No other piercings are allowed.
The typical day in the life of a Petsmart employee is: come to work and be told how many pet training classes you need to sell for the day. Have your supervisor ask you 20 or 30 times how many classes you have sold. If the store does not meet their daily quota of classes then the store manager gets chewed out by the DM for "not caring about the lives of pets" it does not matter whether there are customers to sell classes to, the only excuse for not selling the classes is that "you m ust not care"
Working for Petsmart is very much like working on a used car lot. The only thing they really seem to care about is how many pet training classed you can sell during the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Germantown, Maryland

91 months ago

Yikes, Jeff..sounds like working for blockbuster lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Dog Trainer in Calhoun, Georgia

89 months ago

PetSmart has tried very hard to make their employees look like Walmart employees. I am a trainer for PS. The public would be very surprised to know that trainers at PS are certified BY PS and have 16 hours of bookwork and 80 hours with an area trainer. Are they really qualified? You go check it out. It is only as good as the trainer in the store. 80% of PS trainers aren't even qualified to make grooming appointments. And take a guess as to what qualifications the District SERVICES Manager has? This is the idiot over the trainers. Most of them have never trained any dogs. Does this sound like PS truly cares about pet parents and dogs? NO! Its all about the money and I can't wait until some TV station does an undercover investigation to let the whole country know what a JOKE PS training is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

I do not work for corporate, I work at the store level in Chicago. I honestly believe in the policies and strategies we have as a company that is dedicated to people and their pets. I am no less entitled to my opinion as Jeff is to his and you to yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

sick of alex k in Ventura, California

87 months ago

while i understand that you back your complany that has been so good to you, do you ever stop and think about how other stores are run? yes, there are fabulous petsmart. sometimes, they get lucky and hire store managers that actually know a little something about animals. but you need to be honest with yourself. i dont know the number of stores nationwide, but there are alot. do you honestly think all stores are run that way? its a corporation, the bigger it gets, the less ontrol they have over singular stores. this is what i have noticed. you have the petsmart thats been around for 10 years that everyone goes to. its old. it hasent been newly renovated. floors are marked and scoffed, paint is fading. then, they decide to put a new modern petsmart one town over. and if anyone goes into petsmarts that hve been built recently, they are amazing. they decide to hire a good manager b/c its a new store, who in turn hires good employees. what do you have? i highly functional staff and a wonderful place to work. but what happens to the rinky dink petsmart one town over? well, corporate cuts their hours, so even when its busy you dont have coverage (how fun for an employee), low pay with little raise, doing work that is out of your job desription b/c there is simply no one to do it. the outcome is a store that screams out of order. employees are unhappy, managers are unhappy. and all they talk about is "i wish i worked for the other petsmart"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Dory in Tualatin, Oregon

87 months ago

I agree with Jeff - We're suppose to have at least 65% of our customers have PetPerks, and We're suppose to sell 3 training classes each day.

Granted, our store hasn't open yet, we're starting our "UNLEASHED!" training this weekend - but they are incredibly uptight about dress code. I don't have black/tan shoes (so I'll hafta go out and get some) nor a "belt to match" (I'm hippy enough, I rarely need belts)

shirt tucked in, hair combed. no visible tattoos, more then one pericing per ear, or jewlery other then simple pericing.

As much as I love animals and care about them - I'm starting to rethink about getting a job here. Too much emphsis on selling stuff (Although our services are great - Plasma "PetScreens" T.V in the PetHotel? DAMN! I don't even have a plasma flat at home! and Certinally not for my pet in his own SUITE!) and I'm not a fan of cleaning poop and pee. (Thus the reason I like cats. They can use the bathroom themselves)

So far, most people are friendly, but I highly doubt any of us will ever get togeather for Happy Hour cocktails after work : /

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I apologize for taking so long to respond, my laptop was down. I do understand that not every store is equal. The idea behind this forum site is to give people interested in this company a broader sense of how things are really going. Ironically, my store opened only 3 years ago, is slow paced, and as such has allowed us to work on maintaining our store standards. However, less than 3 miles down the street within the city proper, the oldest store in the city is also the busiest within the entire company's roster of stores. It's ten years old, looks just as described, and is the busiest store in the company. The building has little to do with the people in it. I celebrate my team's successes and failures by looking at what we're doing, or not doing, and try to improve it. Yes, I reward my associates for making a huge sale of something like a tricked out fish tank or reptile habitat, but not because of the sale itself. Instead of selling a goldfish in a bowl to someone who comes in with the idea that it's perfectly fine to keep that goldfish in a bowl, I reward them for educating the pet parent that it's better for the goldfish to be kept in a tank...with filtration...and space. I also agree that working outside of a job description isn't ideal, but cross training also has it's benefits. Not only does a person become better at lending help when it's needed, but they may find something that they like doing with the majority of their time, and settle there. Please try to remember that although this is a retail job, it's a unique retail job, and it comes with its own unique challenges. Hopefully, the staff will find a way to muddle through and find that balance, albeit difficult to attain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Yikes in San Antonio, Texas

87 months ago

So after reading this discussion, I'm starting to re-think my decision to work for this company. I applied for a job in the pet hotel which DID NOT include cleaning poop and pee, yet I was told that all employees are "cross-trained" before starting the job they actually applied for. Yet, the manager told me that the position I applied for is usually for fulltime employees. I requested only part-time work since I have another full-time job. I'm starting to wonder if they lured me in with the desk job just to give me a pooper scooper....?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Yikes in San Antonio, Texas said: So after reading this discussion, I'm starting to re-think my decision to work for this company. I applied for a job in the pet hotel which DID NOT include cleaning poop and pee, yet I was told that all employees are "cross-trained" before starting the job they actually applied for. Yet, the manager told me that the position I applied for is usually for fulltime employees. I requested only part-time work since I have another full-time job. I'm starting to wonder if they lured me in with the desk job just to give me a pooper scooper....?

PetSmart is a pet store, and unfortunately if you are not in a position to clean poop as it is, you may have to at some point anyway. If you work in the hotel, the pets there poop. The Salon, expect some poop. Pet trainers, especially with a puppy class, see plenty of poop. Petcare, lots of different kinds of poop. Managers, cashiers, and stockers on the floor have to sometimes deal with irresponsible customer's poop. The fact is, Pet stores = poop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Yikes in San Antonio, Texas

87 months ago

I understand I have to deal with poop/pee working at a pet store...duh. I have dogs of my own. What I mean is I did not apply for a job to be in the back with the doggies all day, mopping it up all day. I haven't even been trained in the front AT ALL. And $7 per hour is not enough for everything that needs to be done in the back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Yikes in San Antonio, Texas said: I understand I have to deal with poop/pee working at a pet store...duh. I have dogs of my own. What I mean is I did not apply for a job to be in the back with the doggies all day, mopping it up all day. I haven't even been trained in the front AT ALL. And $7 per hour is not enough for everything that needs to be done in the back.

My store does not have a PetsHotel, it's too small in square feet. However, if training in the hotel is anything like the rest of the store, most associates are run through each of the major departments to gain a better understanding of store ops, layout, and organization. Pet care associates for example, will be trained on the register and shown how to do price audits before they actually start to learn pet care. It's done to help build up the skill set of the associate so they can help fill in a gap when needed. The hotels may have a similar structure where you become very aware of how things are maintained in back. It seems that you would be better able to help customers understand what you do for their pets when they are left in your care if you have firsthand experience working in that position. I wouldn't expect you to be stuck back there for very long, but if that is the case with you, it may take a little reminding to your hotel manager of the position you really applied for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Re-thinking in Puyallup, Washington

86 months ago

I applied at Petsmart and have an interview coming up for dog training. sounds like its not a good place to work for? should i rethink this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Portland, Oregon

86 months ago

I have worked for Petsmart for a total of four years. My first three years were in the late 90's and then came back seven months ago. I have worked at three different stores in the Petcare dept. as a lead. I am pretty shocked at how this company has turned into a selling machine centered on money-making rather than taking care of its employees and values. All companies need to make money but not at the expense of their employees. Our store manager is always grouchy and negative as we can never sell enough classes. This of course affects the other management negatively. As a result, most of our employees feel that this is not a positive, uplifting company to work for. Our customer feedback has not been great for our store as we have such a skeleton staff due to recent cutbacks with the new auto-scheduling program. Aren't customers a priority? Hope this gives you some insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

The new scheduling system hasn't rolled out here yet, how's it going for you guys? We're going to make the change very soon...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

FrankBob in Hazleton, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

I agree. I have worked for PetSmart for 7 years and I am not able to stand it anylonger. The new scheduling system has 4 people in PetCare in the morning and then at night there is 1 cashier, 1 PC associate and 1 manager. Sometimes there is a stockboy that floats inbetween depts. Imagine being a customer on a Fri or Sat night and walking into a store being run by 4 people. If Pet"Smart" really wants us to devote the time to the "pet parent" that they say the do, they should staff their stores to allow for this. A proper fish or reptile set up takes time, esp in the fall with all the fairs passing out "cute little turtles" and your standing there trying to catch fish while explaining why a 2 inch turtle needs a 150 dollar set up all the while the phone is ringing and your being page to the small and furry habitat to allow a 4 year to pet a hamster. Oh yeah, and actually, you just caught the wrong fish, b/c they want "that fish" to go with their oscars, goldfish, koi and "chinchillids". But its ok, they've been in the 10 gallon tank for two years now without any problem... perhaps if you sold them a Training to help make yoru quota you might educate the person moreso than the dog and they can put the credit towards their GED. What I think is even more hideous is that b/c I transfered, I make less that the associates that started at the store I transferred to, and what is still worse is I am making a dollar more than half of the managers. But then again, I have become a self taught electrican and plumber with a bit of help from CASCO, when they call back... as I have recieved no training on the system I have to maintain and my managers know less than I do. The ONLY positive thing I have to say about petsmart, at least for the two stores I have worked in, is that you can take an animal to the vet, no questions asked... but i see this policy begining to change as well. The only reason I haven't quit yet is I do work with some awesome people, or at least used t

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Alex K in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

My store is feeling the same strain, as are many stores we've been in touch with. The only thing I've been able to do in my position is try to make the resources we have left go as far as possible. I'm in danger of losing valuable people if we cannot begin to properly utilize our new scheduling system. Argh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

survivor in Baiting Hollow, New York

85 months ago

The new scheduling system is horrendous! Our store is going to lose people left and right. There is an overwhelming expectation of multi-tasking in all the departments. I don't agree with selling small animals and birds and now rabbits. Management is stressed to the gills. The return policy is ridiculous and begs for abuse.
Now, on the other hand, I love the store and my job! No job is perfect but there is enough leeway here to do humane education and help animals. I love the fact that they give away precious retail space for adoptions although I have seen the newer stores with much less space available.
From what I understand, PS sent trucks full of supplies for hurricane Katrina animals.
You gotta realize, this is corporate we are dealing with. No matter what the original philosphy was, the bottom line is $$$$. Hey, you don't want the big wigs to have to give up their mansions on Dune Road, do you? (ha ha)
I make the most of the opportunities given to me by PS. So far, it has worked out well for me. Don't avoid a job there because of the flaws. Every job has negatives and positives. Go for the positives and educate pet owners and do the very best you can for the animals!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pnknlvr96 in Colorado

85 months ago

I was just hired at PetSmart and the uniform is a polo shirt they give you and khaki pants and tennis shoes. Yes, I'll have to buy some khaki pants but I'll wear them outside of working there so it's not a big deal. This specific store just got a new manager three weeks ago and he is amazing. His entire philosophy about work is that it can be fun at work too. I am excited about this and maybe it's just lucking into a good store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

franky_402 in Ottawa, Illinois

84 months ago

Well i have never been to a petsmart store but i started at Distribution center 36. I have been there for 7 weeks now and i love it. 18yo and making 13.00 an hour. No dress code besides no logoed shirts. Also you get 6 free shirsts after 90 days. We have unit goals to ship out and we go home when we get it done. With the busy season weve been getting out sometimes 7 hours all the way to 11 hours. But overtime at almost 20.00 an hour aint bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Denny in Yuba City in Yuba City, California

83 months ago

I read this whole blog and have a couple of comments. #1 If PS isn;t run like a business then you'll all soon have no jobs to pay you (or to apply for). #2. It is a difficult thing for a company to communicate new objectives to people who don't want one more thing to do... (IE sign up for petperks) without making it just another mandate. The bottom line is that the business has to stay healthy to keep you employed. The other bottom line is that the customers have to stay happy for the business to stay healthy. The pet Perks card should be important to everyone because if they sign on they will get direct advertising from PS and buy more stuff because they see what's on sale and will have your companies name and read the ad once a month or whatever the timing. That should be very important to every associate. Also I have no qualms about the fact that going to work for somebody else means making them money. If you are really good at making them money then you get more money and or a promotion with more responsibility. If you are marginal then you get the same money or get sent to another store when their staff gets low. (A manager isn't gonna send away their best!!) If you are less than marginal you get a pink slip. If you have an issue with that aspect of being an employee open your own business. I did. And let me tell you that their is significant risk in that. I had employees and it's different when they are expecting to get more money and wanting to do less to get it. It's called life in a capitalistic economy in a democratic nation. And it's the best deal on the planet. You get what you earn. Not satisfied with your job, work harder and smarter and you will be rewarded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

lea

82 months ago

I have a question, I'm going to be working at petsmart soon part time. I know that the rules there are no visable tattoos etc but what is the rule on hair? I know at some jobs they say u can't dye your hair any colors or it has to be dark not bright. I was just wondering because I wanted to dye my hair but I didn't wanna do it and then not get hired. I will be working at the petsmart n san leandro ca so if any1 has some experences there let me know pls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

KC Oliver in Wisconsin

82 months ago

Alex from Chicago, you are right, a pet store = poop. I am an associate in WI, and one of the questions I was asked in my interview for my position was, do you have a problem or concern with cleaning up or caring for animals? NO, I do not, the way to best describe whether you enjoy your job at petsmart or not,is... #1 if you yourself are, or have been a responsible pet owner. #2 Don't take the job if you truly do not care about pets, or further educating pet owners(pet parents.) # 3 retail is known to have views from both sides of the coin, pleasantry and nightmares depending on the culture of the corporation you work for. If you have worked retail long enough, you will know how to spot a good fit just by visiting the store often as a customer,using all of their services, getting a feel for the job satisfaction of several employees and asking the right questions in an interview. Remember it is retail after all, and keeping the customer coming back is what is important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MacBerry76 in San Antonio, Texas

82 months ago

Yikes in San Antonio, Texas said: I understand I have to deal with poop/pee working at a pet store...duh. I have dogs of my own. What I mean is I did not apply for a job to be in the back with the doggies all day, mopping it up all day. I haven't even been trained in the front AT ALL. And $7 per hour is not enough for everything that needs to be done in the back.

I am a full-timer in the PetsHotel. Though I applied for both Pet Care Specialist & Front Desk Associate positions, apparently I got hired for Pet Care only. I keep getting told I will get cross-trained after such and such date..but has yet to happen. Even if you do get cross-trained, everyone at some point will be doing Pet Care work in the back. It's unavoidable..same rule applies for Doggie Day Camp too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois said: The new scheduling system hasn't rolled out here yet, how's it going for you guys? We're going to make the change very soon...

It was supposed to happen in October of last year..there were 'bugs' so it was pushed to December...still were problems. Supposedly to be fully rolled out in the next couple of months. I can hardly wait ::rolls eyes in sarcasm::

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

lea said: I have a question, I'm going to be working at petsmart soon part time. I know that the rules there are no visable tattoos etc but what is the rule on hair? I know at some jobs they say u can't dye your hair any colors or it has to be dark not bright. I was just wondering because I wanted to dye my hair but I didn't wanna do it and then not get hired. I will be working at the petsmart n san leandro ca so if any1 has some experences there let me know pls

The rule concerning hair colour here gets a little strange. I have naturally red hair, with the occasional dose of henna added to it to keep it vivid. But I have gold highlights on the front of my hair/bangs only. That's apparently ok. But a co-worker wanted to dye her entire head of hair red (she's hispanic with dark hair) and they told her no. So proceed w/ caution...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pnknlvr96 in Colorado

82 months ago

Lea, it depends on the position. For cashiers I think they're a little more strict, but we have some guys in stocking who have mohawks.

And Alex, I heard we are supposed to get the new system this summer. I don't anticipate it being any different than now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

We have had the new system for months now. It is very time consuming for the mgrs that do the store scheduling and learning it made them all pretty cranky! Employees must punch in 2 minutes before or after the scheduled hour and most times the clock won't accept the punch. So then, a mgr needs to be called to over ride the clock, pulling them away from other things. If you switch with another employee, the clock will not accept you. It is a dumb system as far as I can see and dumps more time consuming nonsense on the mgrs, who are already jam packed with responsibilities.
As far as the salon goes, it is much better when groomers can punch in 15 minutes before their shift and be ready to greet pet parents in uniform and ready to work. Groomers should be able to check their own dogs in and discuss the groom with the pet parent. Rushing through the door still in your coat when there are multiple appts waiting for you does not look very professional, IMO.
Ok that's my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy714 in Largo, Florida

82 months ago

I personaly work for Petsmart and i have for almost 2 months, and i totally love it! My managers are totally awsome. And i have no complaints about the company at all. Yes you work hard, but your job is really what you make of it. So please dont be discouraged about appling for a job their. If you have any questions feel free to ask....I will be honest and tell you the truth as i know it. Tammy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Roseburg, Oregon

81 months ago

FrankBob in Hazleton, Pennsylvania said: I agree. I have worked for PetSmart for 7 years and I am not able to stand it anylonger. The new scheduling system has 4 people in PetCare in the morning and then at night there is 1 cashier, 1 PC associate and 1 manager. Sometimes there is a stockboy that floats inbetween depts. Imagine being a customer on a Fri or Sat night and walking into a store being run by 4 people. If Pet"Smart" really wants us to devote the time to the "pet parent" that they say the do, they should staff their stores to allow for this. A proper fish or reptile set up takes time, esp in the fall with all the fairs passing out "cute little turtles" and your standing there trying to catch fish while explaining why a 2 inch turtle needs a 150 dollar set up all the while the phone is ringing and your being page to the small and furry habitat to allow a 4 year to pet a hamster. Oh yeah, and actually, you just caught the wrong fish, b/c they want "that fish" to go with their oscars, goldfish, koi and "chinchillids". But its ok, they've been in the 10 gallon tank for two years now without any problem... perhaps if you sold them a Training to help make yoru quota you might educate the person moreso than the dog and they can put the credit towards their GED. What I think is even more hideous is that b/c I transfered, I make less that the associates that started at the store I transferred to, and what is still worse is I am making a dollar more than half of the managers. But then again, I have become a self taught electrican and plumber with a bit of help from CASCO, when they call back... as I have recieved no training on the system I have to maintain and my managers know less than I do. The ONLY positive thing I have to say about petsmart, at least for the two stores I have worked in, is that you can take an animal to the vet, no questions asked... but i see this policy begining to change as well. The only reason I haven't quit yet is I do work with so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Roseburg, Oregon

81 months ago

sorry bout that last one it wasnt me (obviously). I have worked with petsmart for a year now. I was hired as a cashier and after just one month i was offered a lead position which i knew nothing about. after i declined i have been on my store manager's bad side ever since. about 3 months into the position i was offered cross training in pet care because we were so understaffed and i accepted. for the next 8 months it would be a tug-a-war with where i was stationed between the petcare manager and the store manager. i would cover for people when i couldnt, be yelled at if i wasnt in the right place at the right time, and when the new scheduling system came out it was all hell from there. for the past 2 months i have been in petcare solely because we only have 6 people and we are all maxed out on hours. almost everyday that i close i do not have help and i am by myself which angers customers when there is more than one person that needs my help at a time. Answering phones and pages and the occasional cart run (because i have nothing better to do than someone elses job) is routine. I can also honestly say that no one, and i mean NO ONE, not a single employee likes my store manager. She is horeindous when it comes to anything that isnt her getting her way, complete with yelling at employees and then later pretending she cares. As for the dress code i work at petsmart, which is a glorified walmart, not for the fbi. i think if i want to wear jeans i honestly dont think a customer will care, nor will they care if i have a tongue ring they cant see because they too have tatoos and piercings and the customers that dont cant see them anyway. All customers care about is whether you can solve their problem and nothing else about store policies and procedures. period. i have stayed at my job for the only fact that i love the people i work with, for the most part. And that is the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois said: My store does not have a PetsHotel, it's too small in square feet. However, if training in the hotel is anything like the rest of the store, most associates are run through each of the major departments to gain a better understanding of store ops, layout, and organization. Pet care associates for example, will be trained on the register and shown how to do price audits before they actually start to learn pet care. It's done to help build up the skill set of the associate so they can help fill in a gap when needed. The hotels may have a similar structure where you become very aware of how things are maintained in back. It seems that you would be better able to help customers understand what you do for their pets when they are left in your care if you have firsthand experience working in that position. I wouldn't expect you to be stuck back there for very long, but if that is the case with you, it may take a little reminding to your hotel manager of the position you really applied for.

I wish I could say I agree with you, but that is an ideal scenario in a perfect workplace world. But in my reality, it doesn't happen that way at all. I've been promised cross-traininmg, even signed an action plan stating a timeline in which I need to learn these key areas...but I am full-time and have yet to see that happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TBTnewspaper in Saint Petersburg, Florida

80 months ago

Hi Tammy, I'm trying to reach you for an article I'm working on for tbt*. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!

Dalia Colón, tbt* reporter
St. Petersburg Times
490 First Ave. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone: (727) 893-8717
Fax: (727) 892-2343
dcolon@tampabay.com
tbt* circulation = 73,000 daily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Whom are you trying to reach. Please clarify your post, thank-you.
~Tennille

TBTnewspaper in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi Tammy, I'm trying to reach you for an article I'm working on for tbt*. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!

Dalia Colón, tbt* reporter
St. Petersburg Times
490 First Ave. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone: (727) 893-8717
Fax: (727) 892-2343
dcolon@tampabay.com
tbt* circulation = 73,000 daily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in Texas

80 months ago

Dog Trainer in Calhoun, Georgia said: PetSmart has tried very hard to make their employees look like Walmart employees. I am a trainer for PS. The public would be very surprised to know that trainers at PS are certified BY PS

Pet trainers are not certified, but they are accredited, there is a difference. I was an Area Trainer that accredited them and was was with the company over 10 years. I no longer work for them, don't shop there, alot happier with life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in Texas

80 months ago

Dog Trainer in Calhoun, Georgia said: PetSmart has tried very hard to make their employees look like Walmart employees. I am a trainer for PS. The public would be very surprised to know that trainers at PS are certified BY PS and have 16 hours of bookwork and 80 hours with an area trainer. Are they really qualified? You go check it out. It is only as good as the trainer in the store. 80% of PS trainers aren't even qualified to make grooming appointments. And take a guess as to what qualifications the District SERVICES Manager has? This is the idiot over the trainers. Most of them have never trained any dogs. Does this sound like PS truly cares about pet parents and dogs? NO! Its all about the money and I can't wait until some TV station does an undercover investigation to let the whole country know what a JOKE PS training is.

It is all about the money. Before I thought they even cared about the customers, but the customer service has gotten really bad in the last year, I am very disappointed in the company. Glad when I sold all of my stock at the first of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

happynow07 in Memphis, Tennessee

80 months ago

I also worked for PS and i am sure happy it's OVER, I was there 10+ years and they changed so much I would never shop there now. They don't care about the associates and definately not the customers they care about the numbers and sales, and Alex you almost sound brainwashed. I was in training,I was one of those X trained associates that was stretched way too thin and pulled in every direction because of a skeleton staff, yet I was EXPECTED to produce training sales?? How is that going to happen when I am cashering,stocking covering the fish, cart runs???? well I had it and left, No real loss I dont need PS to be a good trainer, I can do it right by caring for the quality of my work NOT the quantity. My "perk" is to read these stupid comments and be really glad I am done with PS no more wasting my time or energy on them. Alex I wish you luck with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Re-thinking in Puyallup, Washington said: I applied at Petsmart and have an interview coming up for dog training. sounds like its not a good place to work for? should i rethink this?

RUN, RUN AWAY!!! work some where else!!!!! PLEASE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in Texas

79 months ago

You are absolutely right. I was over for almost 11 years. PetSmart doesn't care about the trainer, or the training, all they cared about was making money. I have never been so disappointed in PetSmart as I am. I am a good trainer and I am taking my talants and helping my clients better their relationship with their dog. I was tire of them telling me that I can't do this and I can't do that. I spend hundreds of dollars at seminars, and does PetSmart help with that, hell no. Then because I am furthering my education, they tell me that I can't do what I have learned. Alot of my past students won't even shop at the store anymore. They are going to PetCo and other places. PetSmart does not understand what we dealt with. I am all about quality, giving my very best for those students. They had my e-mail to vent their frustrations, if they had questions. I went well beyond for this company and they treat you like crap. They fired me over letting someone use my 30% coupon! I am no longer stressed out. I am back at my happy training self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MissNicci in Chesapeake, Virginia

79 months ago

Amen dreamer27! Former "pet trainer" for PS here, lol. I started with PS 1 year before rollout of the new "pet training" program. So, we're talking some years back, lol. I was glad to finally see some uniformity across the board in ALL PS stores. However, I am one of the original trainers on the East Coast and my accreditation didn't come from 16 hours with an open book. (Which appears to be their new policy.) It was earned with 80+ hours of "in classroom" training, including heavy testing. Plus another 40 hours of "hands on" with the local humane society. (All the while still running classes on the old program.) Even that was bare bones in my book, lol. Thank goodness I had real dog training experience behind me before I became a PS "schill." I worked 7 days a week with absolutely NO back up or support from my area training instructor, district trainer, or even regional trainer (the last 2 had never trained a dog or taught a class in their lives... how ironic, lol.) Demands were constantly heaped on me to build sales but, the cashiers who were required to help me (God bless them) were teenagers who worked part time and had no sales experience whatsoever. Still, I persevered. I built a strong training base with repeat clients and through word of mouth. I even ended up with clients who were unhappy with the other area PS trainers, (who simply read from the book and didn't get hands on with the dogs or the training clients.) Living in a "military" area, sales were hard to come by. Often made worse by other local trainers (3 of which were less than 2 miles from my store) who bad mouthed PS because of their previous training program. Let's face it, PS stepped on a lot of mom and pops and pushed "positive reinforcement" training as opposed to compulsory. (Not that it's a bad thing.)I was forced to bring my own dog in, and told to lie to customers and tell them that my dog had personally been trained on the new PS program. When I objected....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I was told that doing so would build my sales to an "acceptable" level and ensure my future employment. I did bring my dog in but, refused to lie about his training. This did not make my managers happy. I was criticized for not being a team player and was offered even less help than before from my new "problem" Specialty Manager. Then I did a set up at a local dog festival for PS charities and took my dog along. My area training instructor showed up and brought her extremely unruly and untrained dog. There she proceeded to yell, slap at, and hang her dog in front of JQ Public (in PS uniform I might add.) This was right about the time PS started playing musical chairs with managers hoping to weed out the dead weight. My area training instructor got spooked and began a smear campaign against me. Blasted me for lower than acceptable sales and poor customer service skills (neither of which was true.) In my nearly 4 years with PS I had only 2 training returns and neither was for incompetence of lack of customer service. Then my old Specialty Manager (who had been shipped to another store awaiting dismissal) called me up and told me flat out that my AT instructor was out to get me because she feared for her job (which I would have NEVER taken even if offered.) Next thing I know, I'm being called to the Store Directors office for a meeting to discuss my "poor" sales and attitude. They hired a 2nd PT trainer since I was "incapable" of building "better" sales. Huh? In actuality, the new PT trainer was my replacement. One who wouldn't make the AT instructor look so incompetent herself. To top it all off, they actually expected me to train my own replacement, lmao! Last time I checked, that didn't fall under my job description. Obviously, I refused (since I was on my way out the door anyway, lol.) They promptly removed me from my training position. However, I was offered a CSM position by my store director....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in Texas

79 months ago

Thank you so much MissNicci for your comment. I was forced to bring in my 10 year old shih tzu for a demo dog to do sales. She knows alot of tricks, but she was getting burnt out. Hell, this is my dog and if I want to keep her home for the mental wellbeing of her, I WILL. They also forced me to take other associates dogs on their approved list of course, even the store manager and teach them tricks (free of course). People are not looking for tricks, they are having problems with their dog. I can't really handle their dog, if I have someone elses untrained associates dog with me. I loved PetSmart until the last year, to totally being stressed out, unhappy, being there. I gave almost 11 years of something that I gave my all in, and get treated like crap. It still puts me into tears just thinking about it.

They need train the new instructors better.

I loved my cashiers too. They worked so hard for me to get the classes, but then again they were like being pressured by the managers too.

I am so much happier now. Will never work for coporate ever again. I'm done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

How's that for laughable? I had been dismissed for poor customer service skills and lack of sales yet, I was offered another position that directly utilized my horrible skills? I declined and was told I would be allowed to finish up my "in progress" classes. As the clients learned of my impending dismissal, they wrote letters to corporate as well as my store director. When that effort failed, they asked for refunds for their classes. I've been told that PS refunded thousands of dollars in classes soon after. Of course, this made management more unhappy so they cut most of my remaining classes and I was only allowed to finish my graduation classes. On my last Saturday with PS, I was doing 2 graduation classes and my specialty manager turned up the store music so loud in the receiving area that my clients couldn't even hear me. When they protested, he emailed corporate and tried to talk them into having me escorted off of store property immediately. They declined (bad publicity I suppose) and I was left to finish up classes for the day. On my last day, a customer came in and interupted my graduation class because he was "looking for an adult" to help him with a purchase. I put my class on hold for a few minutes and helped him. (The 18 yr. old manager was too busy racing carts up and down the aisle with other associates.)So much for my "poor" customer service skills, eh? I didn't do it for PS, I did it because in spite of PS's treatment of me, I still believed in doing my job to the best of my ability. Several months later, my old store director called me and apologized. He asked me what it would take to get me to come back to PS as a trainer. I told him I would, when hel* froze over. We laughed and he told me that my old AT instructor had been removed from the training program for failing to show up for scheduled classes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

low sales and poor attitude. LMAO! The PT trainer they replaced me with was rude and totally inept. My specialty manager had been fired for leaving the back doors unlocked. There really is justice... sometimes you just have to wait for it, lol. I too loved my job. I was blessed to work with some of the brightest young people and some of the finest managers (not all of them) you could have ever had. My clients were exceptional. TBH, I keep in touch with quite a few of them and they too have left PS behind, (including my old store director.) Nobody was happy with the direction PS was heading. It is all about the almighty dollar, period. It's not about the customer or keeping good, decent, hardworking associates. One of my managers told me on her way out of PS that it's all about "who ya know, and who ya bl*w, lmao.

Sounds like you're in a better place dreamer27. I am too but, it took a long time to get there. I won't even step foot in a PS now. Haven't since the day I left. When life hands you lemons... make lemonade. I'm still training for myself and loving it everyday even more. Best of luck to you!

*Future PS hopefuls... tread very carefully. LOL. That's my best advice.

Take care all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

MissNicci in Chesapeake, Virginia said: low sales and poor attitude. LMAO! The PT trainer they replaced me with was rude and totally inept. My specialty manager had been fired for leaving the back doors unlocked. There really is justice... sometimes you just have to wait for it, lol. I too loved my job. I was blessed to work with some of the brightest young people and some of the finest managers (not all of them) you could have ever had. My clients were exceptional. TBH, I keep in touch with quite a few of them and they too have left PS behind, (including my old store director.) Nobody was happy with the direction PS was heading. It is all about the almighty dollar, period. It's not about the customer or keeping good, decent, hardworking associates. One of my managers told me on her way out of PS that it's all about "who ya know, and who ya bl*w, lmao.

Sounds like you're in a better place dreamer27. I am too but, it took a long time to get there. I won't even step foot in a PS now. Haven't since the day I left. When life hands you lemons... make lemonade. I'm still training for myself and loving it everyday even more. Best of luck to you!

*Future PS hopefuls... tread very carefully. LOL. That's my best advice.

Take care all!

I am glad to hear that we did not have our spirits broken by PS, We went on our own and are TRULY making a difference in the pets lives. LOOK in to the LEGAL aspects of this haarassment and hostile environment, Alex read and LISTEN this many people across the states can't be wrong. HMMMM......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in Texas

79 months ago

When it comes to the dress code, come on, I was a trainer and wearing a khaiki color pants is very unreasonable. The color make us look fat. :( Not to mention females should be able to wear black during certain times of the month. It's very easy to get dirty after being there even afew hours during the day, and then you look like crap. I wore the Area Trainer shirt, but the other trainers wore the shirts with the writing all on the back of the shirt. You would think they would make them alot nicer for them, more professional. I also had to order my shoes online to find an all black shoe. My feet are very small, and a regular store doesn't carry them.

Trainers need to further their education and PetSmart does not provide this. All the seminars I went too came out of my pocket, and then was told, "Don't Bring it Here". I am excited about helping the students, but guess PetSmart doesn't care about that. As long as its positive reinforcement I do not see a problem in it and I have been training for many many years. So many students that I had to turn away doesn't say much for the training there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex K in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

Oh, the irony!

After defending the fundamental principals of PetSmart, and of my store, I ended up terminated in February. I don't regret what I've said here. As brainwashed as I may have sounded, I made a career at PS that worked for me until I couldn't recognize the company for what it used to be. I loved the work, the pets, and the people, but I agree that PS is going in a very different direction and I can't continue to affiliate myself with such a company. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum.

Alex K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Alex,
I am very shocked and at the same time very sorry to have read this. Though at times I may have disagreed with your points of view, I appreciate the valuable insight as well. I hope your posts here have not played a part in your recent termination. So far alot of what I have read here has given me much food for thought as well as confirm my observations about the PS company. Much luck to you and your future career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Wow Alex! I also enjoyed your comments. I have worked at PS for a little more than 2 yrs so am not familiar as to the old ways. but now that I am salon mgr I am seeing it is all about the money. They keep putting more paperwork on us and taking more and more of our time and alot of this stuff is redundant and unnecessary. Instead of being hands on in the salon and helping to make the money, I am forced to groom less and spend alot of time in meetings and conference calls and doing reports on the computer. It is all a waste of time too! I do love the job though- I love the people I work with, I love the animals and love managing and helping the rescue animals. I love being able to do humane education. I am feeling that I am learning alot and I will end up using that knowledge in my own business some day.

One thing I feel is so unfair- any CRO is accepted as truth. We should have a right to a rebuttal! I told the store mgr that there is a percentage of whack jobs and liars in this world and we are going to come across some of them. PS needs to understand this and not believe everything a customer tells them! We seldom get any in the salon but when I do, I have made a conscious decision to not let it ruin my day. I can't give my side of the story so why bother getting upset? It is what it is.

Good luck to you Alex and take those skills that PS taught you and use them for good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KH222 in Connecticut

76 months ago

I have recently accepted a position with PS, though I have not started yet (this week sometime.)
I am in PetCare...they did mention cross training, what does that REALLY entail?
Also, when they spoke of the job etc they never mentioned having to sell a certain number of training classes or anything, is this in all stores?
Please advise. Thanks!!

They did mention a new scheduling system coming SOON. But didnt really explain what it meant.... ?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.