What's the company culture at Petco?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Petco?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Petco?

Reply - Report abuse

danrox46 in Danville, Virginia

87 months ago

There is a new Petco store which just opened up in our town. Needless to say, I was very excited! We had nothing like this in our area and I am a pet owner and very much a dog lover. I visited this new store one Sunday morning and was very disappointed.

The people they have employed could be NO less friendly if they tried. I tried to speak to one lady and she kinda grunted at me. Others were loading shelves never acknowledging anyone’s presence.

I am in sales myself, and true I am in commission sales, but this does not excuse such rudeness when one is in a retail facility with their dog. People who are employed by pet stores should make a point to at least speak to the animals and smile if nothing else.

I am very particular about my little poodle and will not consider leaving him with anyone who doesn't show me that they truly love dogs! This is something that should be addressed by management as they will not gain a loyal cliental this way. I may add that I would never let the groomer or trainer deal with my dog unless they change the way they relate to customers. I will be visiting again to see if this has improved.

Location Danville VA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Ventura, California

87 months ago

so were the groomers and instructers rude to you or just the sales asscts? when i worked for petco, al of clients told us in the salon that we were so much more friendly than the peoplein the store. threy used to say they actually only came to us for grooming, but went to petsmart for toys and food. my thoughts are, as much as petco states to hire animal lovers, i cannot remember any of the sales assoc/ at my store loving animals. at my store, the only girls they hired had tattoes and peircings (both not allowed according to company guidelines) and all the guys were arrogant a**es who worked loads in the morning. but what can you expect when the gen. manager let a dieing iguana out the back door b/c "it was going to die anyway"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

minnesotaman in Zimmerman, Minnesota

87 months ago

Yea we have a Petco and Petsmart and you walk into Petco and they workers there all look like they rather be someplace else and when you try and talk to them they kinda bark at you. but at Petsmart soon as you walk in the door the employee at the checkout thing is like Hello how are you today what do you need today and its really nice to hear that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Port Washington, New York

75 months ago

mmm...I just started a career at Petco, I don't think I like it that much. I'm not her to shoot my mouth off, get into arguments, and/or be opinionated. I just want to know how exactly Petco treats their employees, hell, I'm not
doubting you, I just need some feedback..

Thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

smfrye1024 in minooka, Illinois

74 months ago

minnesotaman in Zimmerman, Minnesota said: Yea we have a Petco and Petsmart and you walk into Petco and they workers there all look like they rather be someplace else and when you try and talk to them they kinda bark at you. but at Petsmart soon as you walk in the door the employee at the checkout thing is like Hello how are you today what do you need today and its really nice to hear that.

that's one store! you can't sum them all up as bad places to go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smfrye1024 in minooka, Illinois

74 months ago

every store is different i worked near the city and people /customers alike were rude , but it's fast paced and people like to get something for nothing so it goes both ways. .... moved an hour away and the one close to home now everyone is sweet as pie, there are uniforms so that answers the dress question and people do go out together i have lots of friends from both stores . as far as too close of relationships there is no fratenizing with your co-workers so don't act too chummy in front of managers. Again that differs w/ stores too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Timberwolf63 in Tucson, Arizona

73 months ago

Every Petco is different. I worked for them for 5 1/2 yrs. and would still be there but moved to Vermont for 6 months. I started as a cashier and moved up to Asst. manager. I worked at 3 different stores during my employment and can tell you that it depends on how the General manager runs the store as to how the associates act. If the G.M. is good than the store will always be clean, the workers nice and the service great -but a bad G.M. can make it totally the other way. As for age -you have to be 18 yrs. old now due to working with animals and the risks involved. Hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Marie B in Bridgeville, Delaware

31 months ago

I am a new member to this forum and interested in the ones about Petco. I hope a store comes to Delaware? We need one because it would bring more jobs for the state.I am a pet parent and care about all animals. If anyone knows when a new store is opening in Delaware please reply? thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rasta Oney in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Linda Marie B in Bridgeville, Delaware said: I am a new member to this forum and interested in the ones about Petco. I hope a store comes to Delaware? We need one because it would bring more jobs for the state.I am a pet parent and care about all animals. If anyone knows when a new store is opening in Delaware please reply? thanks.

Hello Linda,
There will be a store opening I'm Seaford Delaware very soon. I will be one on the management staff of the store. Ive read alot about bad stores and management. This will not happen at our store. Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Rasta Oney in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hello Linda,
There will be a store opening I'm Seaford Delaware very soon. I will be one on the management staff of the store. Ive read alot about bad stores and management. This will not happen at our store. Have a nice day.

Hello Rasta, I am surprised to hear from someone on this forum. I had applied to Petco in Seaford,De. Sales associate, PT Sales Associate and Dog Trainer. I really love working with motivated people like me who care about animals and being part of a team. I hope to get a call about going to an interview that would be the best day ever! Rasta are you moving down here? Well,have a nice weekend! Petco where the pets Go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rasta Oney in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Hello Linda

Actually I live near Laurel,DE. Not sure why it says Philadelphia. I just was hired myself, so I'll definitely keep your name in mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Rasta Oney in Coatesville, Pennsylvania said: Hello Linda

Actually I live near Laurel,DE. Not sure why it says Philadelphia. I just was hired myself, so I'll definitely keep your name in mind.

Hi Rasta, I just got your reply and thank you for keeping me in mind. I really want to work for Petco-seaford, I have great customer service skills and love to work with the public.My application was sent on 1/28 , 2/10/12 and 3/3. All different positions.I drive by the store watching things changing and can't wait till it opens!Hope to hear from you? Take care for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Rasta Oney in Coatesville, Pennsylvania said: Hello Linda

Hello Rasta, Do you have any idea the grand opening date for Petco? Please reply me back if you can? I thank you. LMB

Rasta Oney in New York, New York

29 months ago

Hea, I'm guessing 6-8 weeks maybe less.

29 months ago

Rasta Oney in New York, New York said: Hea, I'm guessing 6-8 weeks maybe less.

Hello Rasta, Thanks for the info.Do you think I should re-apply for the positions that I applied to 2 months ago? I guess petco will have me on file, right? I just don't want to go to the bottom of the pile.I look forward to petco opening! I hope to meet you also.Take care.LMB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rasta Oney in Souderton, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

No need to reapply. They weren't looking at applications yet. But they are now. I recommend calling the store in Ocean City to see if they reviewed your application and that your interested

29 months ago

Rasta Oney in Souderton, Pennsylvania said: No need to reapply. They weren't looking at applications yet. But they are now. I recommend calling the store in Ocean City to see if they reviewed your application and that your interested

Hello Rasta, thankyou for replying to me. Contacting OC is all right but I still want to try working for seaford,de location. I'll try them today. Thanks. Have a nice day!

Rasta Oney in Wilmington, Delaware

29 months ago

Lol. No you misunderstood. You have to contact OC for the positions at Seaford,DE. That's where we're hiring from. A manager that's going to be the GM is looking at applications for his Seaford staff when the store opens up.

29 months ago

I just called OC and talked to someone and he said he is setting up a location for interviews next wk. I am so excited! He had looked at my application and said he would be calling me next thurs. Yeh! thanks for everything in this forum, it's been a lot of help! Thank You!

29 months ago

What's the dress code at petco? Is the basic uniform worn at all times?

Rasta Oney in Norristown, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Dark pants. Uniform shirt

29 months ago

Rasta Oney in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Dark pants. Uniform shirt

Hey just went by the store, looking great so far! Interview thurs. and kinda nervous, I'm sure it's normal right. Have a great day!

29 months ago

Rasta Oney in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Dark pants. Uniform shirt

Well I had my interview today, I got the job! I go to the training process next wk. I"m so happy! This is the best day I've had in a long time.I'm looking forward to opening day!Have a nice day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rasta Oney in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Linda Marie B in Bridgeville, Delaware said: Well I had my interview today, I got the job! I go to the training process next wk. I"m so happy! This is the best day I've had in a long time.I'm looking forward to opening day!Have a nice day!

Ok. Congratulations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pre-Vet Proffessional in Tiverton, Rhode Island

14 months ago

I worked for Petco for 7 years and everything completely depends on your store manager.
You get loads of PTO and the experience of working alongside animals however during my employment I had 3 different stores and assistant/GM pairings over a period of time;

1) made sure you got all your PTO, took care of all the animals and I never heard her complain about "losing her bonus" to animal care. everyone got along and would go out for drinks. live and let live.

2) one manager was the same, unfortunately her assistant caused a high turnover beginning the first month of her being there; workplace harassment was rampant and PTO payments and scheduling would disappear. she even called me while i was being sedated for surgery to see if I would work on my PTO...

3) just all around awful, both were like my second encounter to the Nth degree if you can imagine it any worse. I'd get chased around and coerced to quit because my second job in healthcare meant I couldn't close and that didn't meet her liking even though I was still bringing in the most commission of my department and doing all my duties faithfully

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.