Petco Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 83)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Petco?

What do you like best about working at Petco? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Coulterville, Illinois

91 months ago

I have to answer this, even though my answer will be controversial...

I am a pet groomer with decades of experience. I work VERY hard, have excellent business ethics and treat animals and their pets with the utmost respect. Pet grooming is an industry where a GOOD QUALITY groomer can earn a substantial income.

I am very displeaased with the marketing and lack of training and lack of quality that PETCO offers.

First of all, PETCO seems to think that six weeks training is all a groomer to be needs. Then they charge a ridiculously low price and then sell "add-ons" to make the overall cost of the groom up there with the privately owned shops ANYWAY. And the quality of the groom is substandard...

Petco establishes themselves in "lucrative markets" and then makes the independent groomer suffer. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix the grooming job that a PETCO groomer has done. Just go and watch how they groom...I do occasionally and it is horrible.

They pay on an average of $7 an hour or commission, which is terrible pay. The groomers that they have is by and large "rejects" from other shops. WOrd gets around in communities and the "word" on Petco is not good...

The hiring process is application, written test (personality profiliing), and then a very political interview. They mainly want someone who is UNEXPERIENCED and then train them IMPROPERLY to groom pets. I think very poorly of PETCO and how they have RUINED the pet grooming industry.

I am a groomer that has earned between $800-1000 a week, instill good manners on my clients' pets and take excellent care of my clients and their needs. I don't use cage driers, nooses or have to restrain unreasonably.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (125) / No (144) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Troy, Michigan

91 months ago

Diane ... It was interesting to read your comments on PETCO.

The job market in Michigan is horrendous (but people still LOVE their pets) & I was thinking about retraining myself & going into pet grooming. I actually thought PETCO would be a good starting point to get on-the-job training but, from what I read, it seems that is untrue. My question to you is ... where/how do I go about getting trained/started as a groomer? Any comments/help would be appreciated.

My only other question; Are you self employed or do you work for a small independant "pet salon"? I get the impression like you what you do & make a living at it.

Thanks - Barb
(NOTE: If possible, please state in subject line: Petco Forum Reply - Diane The Groomer.

Otherwise, I will not open the email response. My way of controlling unwanted emails)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Troy, Michigan

90 months ago

Thank you for your comments & good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Millersville, Missouri

89 months ago

James said: Can someone please just give some figures on the salaries, if you hated your job your on the right site to find another one.
Petco pays either $7 an hour or commission, but only after you have spent $2000+ to go thru their training/certification program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Daigle in Las Vegas, Nevada

87 months ago

Petco is a part of the Banfield Pet Hospitals. My dog was horribly treated by Banfield. I took him into Banfield the month before he had to be put down for his "wellness exam." The vet did not even examine him. A month later I took him back since there was a very obvious mass on his left hind leg. The unlicensed "nurses" took ex-rays. The vet did not even look at the ex-rays. They put him in a small cage all day. When they called me to tell me to come get him he could hardly walk due to being caged all day. The vet, who never examined him, told me he a neurological problems and referred me to a neurological veterinarian. They game me the ex-rays to take to the neuro center. I looked at the x-rays at home and saw the large mass, even though the x-rays were of poor quality, VERY POOR. I made an appointment with a veterinarian in private practice. He looked at the x-rays and said he thought my dog had an advanced primary mass on his hind leg. My dog was treated with care and put down. Banfield/Petco should not be allowed to be in business but they have political connections nationwide. They are a despicable corporation and should not be allowed to do business in the way they do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (177) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Petsmart is affiliated with Banfield, not PETCO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

andrew in Hopkins, Minnesota

85 months ago

I have been grooming for a short period of time relitively.1 1/2 years as a groomer and a month as a bather.Petco is very good for learning the tricks of the trade at least in MN. Its a fast track to learning how to groom .The people with years an years of experince would "fix" my grooms the first few months.I was lucky that I had groomers around me that would help me along the way.I get paid commision that comes to about 1200.00 every two weeks before taxes.It all depends on your speed as a groomer.Im still slow because like i said im still relitively new. I find it funny that the people that rag on petco never really have a good alternitive answer to learn how to groom besides petco or petsmart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

andrew in Hopkins, Minnesota said: I have been grooming for a short period of time relitively.1 1/2 years as a groomer and a month as a bather.Petco is very good for learning the tricks of the trade at least in MN. Its a fast track to learning how to groom .The people with years an years of experince would "fix" my grooms the first few months.I was lucky that I had groomers around me that would help me along the way.I get paid commision that comes to about 1200.00 every two weeks before taxes.It all depends on your speed as a groomer.Im still slow because like i said im still relitively new. I find it funny that the people that rag on petco never really have a good alternitive answer to learn how to groom besides petco or petsmart.
oh and by the way they paid me to go to school.7 dollars an hour but still

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

that sounds like a much better situation than the previous posts indicated. thanks for your input

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Ventura, California

85 months ago

i cannot believe how judgemental the original poster is when they havent even worked for the company. yes petco/smart are corporations, making thm automatically less desirable to a lot of people. but i will say this, you get benefits, gaurenteed hourly pay, and a good foundation. i went to work for petco. i did half of the grooming school. I didnt get along with the instructor so i opted to become a bather then redo the course later. i made 40% commission, and let me tell you you cannot find any job in any private salon that is willing to pay bathers what they should. i made on average 400-600 a week. the experianced groomer there made anywhere from 800-1500 a week, which i believe is about the same if not more than the original person stated. if you can find a good store, it is a great place to work. you do not have to pay for training, they pay you to train. yeah its min. wage, but its also full time 8-4:30 (about 300 a week). i was able to have a second job when i went through training. they do make you pay if you quit or get fired before a year. but i had job security, worked with great people, and could have benefits. after working in a few private salons, i will say if you want something simple, petco is the way to go. most private salons start haircuts at 45-50 in my area no matter the breed or condition of the dog. at my petco, we did some haircuts for 30, 35, and 40 bucks (small dogs and regular clients). i have yet to find a salon that i am happy with, but i always loved petco

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Louis in Germantown, Tennessee

84 months ago

I worked at petco as merchandiser for one of the largest companies suppling pet food. All of the management I came in contact with were ignorant and arogant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

keith in Raleigh, North Carolina

84 months ago

Boy I was really hoping for better news on the company. I'm not looking at going in as a groomer, but I sure hope i'm not looking at $7 an hour or commission.....

I understand they are a large corp and need to make money, but i don't want to go to for people that are just about money. I'm looking to be around some dogs, or at least help some people with their dogs. If they are only there for money, and we are hurting dogs with bad advice, then i would hate my job.

I met some of the big "non-profit" people at a rescue event, and to say the least I wasn't impressed. They do save a lot of animals, but they were looking for press and cash, oh yeah and they would save a few dogs while they were there. I don't mind people making money, even a lot of money, but when I saw dogs suffer from it, it really turned me sour.....

Focus on what your purpose is first and customers will see that, do it for only cash, and you loose focus.

I hope someone can give me some great words, and perhaps some insight...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Welcome to the economy of the USA. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Granny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

The best companies, do it because they love the business. They care about their employees and customers. Just like this thread people are telling others about how unhappy they were with the company. Done differently a thread like this would be bragging about the company and getting more clients and employees. I assure you if a vet, or whatever hurt my dog, I would make sure it got some press somehow.

I've owned several businesses, and people might not be that fast to tell their friends when someone does something right, they sure will if they do something wrong. Good employees and more customers means more money. And in this case, I assume most of the people through the door are animal lovers.

I hope your nickname is granny, and you aren't name calling. I understand what big business thinks what business is , and their huge need to make shortterm goals, but in the long run they destroy their business. People don't continue to go where there are rude untrained people. People won't over pay for a service, but they will pay more than they could get it somewhere else. A smiling face, a helpful employee, knowing your dog is safe, and then seeing a nice grooming job, will have you a loyal customer, and they will tell a few friends. To me thats good business.

Making more money, and planning for the long term isnt bad business. To treat everyone you deal with poorly, including the dogs, only to save money will kill a business dead as a dog, pun intended.

I meet 3 new dogs yesterday. Zeke and I worked on one of the dogs problems. I answered endless questions from someone else about his dog that you could tell he really cared for, but needed some answers. None of that was 'business', but at least two will come ask for my help again. If I worked in a store, they would buy from me, even for a few bucks more, because i helped, I cared.

They can keep the new business. If you help someone, and do it for no other reason than you care, they will spend money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Keith, I am not insulting people. The "granny" is me. I obviously have a lot more experience with life than you do. I started my working career in 1957, probably before you were born. I have a lot of experience with greedy American businesses, particularly Banfield Pet Hospitals. (See my previous post.) I complained in writing about this Banfield incident to the Oregon Department of Justice, Attorney General. he incident involved gross malpractice. The Oregon Dept. of Justice did nothing. So much for this "honest state." The DOJ in Oregon is more than likely in Banfield's pocket. I with you good luck but do not be naive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Well granny you are a bit older than me, but i do have 27 years business experience, and even more with dogs. I'm not naive, but I do expect too much out of people and businesses.

Understanding how businesses work is not a hard concept. Was an analyst so I really say the way businesses think first hand for quite a bit, and it was sad. Pay cuts, layoffs, MARGINS, higher prices, and they all seemed to forget every business is a customer business.

My family was also into the legal system. Nothing could be sicker than that group, save maybe our government. I was expected to be a lawyer, and I was just too damn honest.

These are the type things that makes me want to work with dogs, but i will have to find a company unless i start a doggie daycare or something. If you are working for $7 an hour, you better love your work, or you hate your job. I likely wont be able to hire on with them because of my experience and education. I will also likely fight with management relentless if we aren't there to help dogs and/or their owners.

Building a better business, isn't naive. helping your customers and treating good employees isnt either, it builds business. It builds a client base, and that brings in profits. hiring the dumbest cheapest SOB's you can find sure the heck doesnt. It gives you great margins, until your client base says bye....

i understand people, business, and the legal system more than most, but dislike all a great deal, least big business. i like dogs a lot, and they are always part of my day. I don't know dogs like many, but I sure understand them more than most people.

i'm working on a way to help some dogs out, and it will involve our damn legal system. makes no sense to work with "non-profit" organizations that dont care. It also makes no sense for me to try to help a dog,2,40 if 30000 more are being born more a day then people.

my dog is still intact after 11 years but he has no puppies, but he might one day. he'll be leaving me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

soon, and i want one of his puppies, perhaps.... Hes good breed(mix), and I got him at almost exactly 6 weeks. Given the right mom, they would have great puppies, and no one would get a puppie that wasn't good with dogs.

People get so upset with me on this point. A rescue dog is okay for some, but all Zeke's faults I put into him. I also spent several months looking for "him" If I can find a good home for all his puppies i have that right. NO ONE that i've talked to has agreed with me. I've saved dogs and done my part for them. I've raised my dog to be an asset to the world, he's changes dogs lives and people opinions of dogs. We have earned that right.

Bad pet owners are the problem, just like with kids. its very rare that either come out poorly. We have over population, but we don't try to stop that but nutting all males, or testing them..... You need a license to drive or to have a dog, but not a child, but they dont train people on the dogs or the child.

Sorry went off on a pet peave. More jails and rescues aren't going to fix two huge problems with US. Its the laws and education that need to change. Niave, heck no, frustrated, &%%$ yes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Huh? in Oslo, Norway

84 months ago

Mary from vegas: while i sympathize with your experiance, this thread is about petco, not petsmart or banfield. Keith- what are yot talking about? your point was lost in the novel you wrote

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Huh? in Oslo, Norway said: Mary from vegas: while i sympathize with your experiance, this thread is about petco, not petsmart or banfield. Keith- what are yot talking about? your point was lost in the novel you wrote

I agree just wow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Cincinnati, Ohio

83 months ago

You people have all missed the points of this particular thread. The original poster asked about working conditions, salaries, benefits. Most of you drone on about meeting dogs and PetSmart. No wonder none of you are getting hired. You can't seem to follow simple instruction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sabrina in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

I love how the original question was never really answered. I hope the poor guy from Germantown received his requests from somewhere else. If you want to rant and rave about big businesses, etc, then find the right channel. Though these rants did make me question applying for a job at Petco.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

The Drew in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Huh? in Oslo, Norway said: Mary from vegas: while i sympathize with your experiance, this thread is about petco, not petsmart or banfield. Keith- what are yot talking about? your point was lost in the novel you wrote

Hilarious!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lauren, who is also huh in Ventura, California

83 months ago

so mary what are you, the self appointed droner who puts everyone to sleep? if you dont need a job, nevermind one in a pet store (like omg, the people who work there are so below you. only people who are ignorant about animals take their dogs to banfield for anything serious, so maybe you should spend some more time in a PET STORE) then why are you in here? to spread the word about how horrible banfield is? go away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

nocturnal in North Kingstown, Rhode Island

80 months ago

andrew in Hopkins, Minnesota said: I have been grooming for a short period of time relitively.1 1/2 years as a groomer and a month as a bather.Petco is very good for learning the tricks of the trade at least in MN. Its a fast track to learning how to groom .The people with years an years of experince would "fix" my grooms the first few months.I was lucky that I had groomers around me that would help me along the way.I get paid commision that comes to about 1200.00 every two weeks before taxes.It all depends on your speed as a groomer.Im still slow because like i said im still relitively new. I find it funny that the people that rag on petco never really have a good alternitive answer to learn how to groom besides petco or petsmart.

Thanks for this helpful post. You are so right. Some of these people probably have never experienced applying for job after job only to hear the owner tell you that they are only employing people with "experience." This is exactly why I am going to work for PetCo as a Groomer's Helper, hopefully soon, once a position opens up.

From what I gathered from talking to the Groomer Manager at the nearest PetCo, is that things change every week at their location.. and to keep calling back each week if a position opens. So that is what I am doing at the moment as they already have my application. Then once I get experience I can move on from there.

How long do you work at PetCo before they send you to a training school? And do you have to travel out of state for this training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Previous Petco Employee in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Petsmart is associated with Banfield Hospitals, not Petco.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ncs in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

groomers make $7 an hour or 50% commission whichever is greater. you have medical, dental, & vision insurance, health and dependent flexible spending accounts, 401k, and paid vacations available. it all depends on the people you wind up with how happy you are with your job, just like any other job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kay88 in Athens, Ohio

76 months ago

How are the grooming assistant jobs at Petco? Are grooming assistants forced to got to grooming school and eventually become groomers? I'm not looking for a career in grooming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lyndy in Raleigh, North Carolina

73 months ago

I was just hired by Petco in NJ for their Groomer Trainer Program. I was told it would be 3 months and start after 1 month of bathing and brushing. The program may not be for everyone and should not be condemn blindly. I have to retire early (51). I love dogs/cats, been grooming my own and friends for years! I go to shows and watch groomers all the time. The local Grooming School is $7000.00! I would love to go if I were younger w/o a son college or w/more money! Petco will give me the chance to fulfil a dream of becoming a groomer, supplement my retirement income and not be bored! I can continue to volunteer at the shelter and sharpen my skills and may move on one day. I must say that I never had any problems with the services at Petco. I have taken my dogs to a top groomer $$ who I believe was cruel to my dog. It doesn't matter where you work - a private groomer can be horrible! Thanks for the comments from experienced Petco folks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elle Belly in Seattle, Washington

70 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Petco?

What do you like best about working at Petco? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Hi there!!

My name is Elle and I have worked at Petco on and off for 13 years. I started working for the company before Petco offered any extra services. There are many things people don't understand about Petco.

The first thing is it is a typical american corporate company. Yes. It is. But that is not necessarily a bad thing! As a long term employee, I get three weeks off of Paid time off! I get PTO for bereavement, maternity, and sick leave. Petco recognizes its top employees nationwide! We have an intranet that all employees have access to and can communicate with. If there is a problem with management or any other employees we have an anonymous call center to help out. I have never had a problem with petco in the long term.. I have medical, dental, vision, life and auto insurance with the company's group plan. We even have a wireless contract with Verizon, even thought I dont participate in that particular plan. we have 401K. And we have other things that on can invest in to make the future easier. Petco also hires for upper positions from within as much as it can!

I am not a groomer but the same benefits are offered to everyone store level. As a bather/brusher the entry level position you are entitled to these after 3 moths full time. you do get less if you are part time, but you get them right off the bat. Petco pays for and pays you while you are in school to be a groomer. then you must intern for 6 months before you are considered a FULL groomer. This is for the safety of the animals, as well as the groomer. You get paid 40% of each groom you do as an intern, 50% as a full groomer and 60% as a grooming manager. So the pay is competitive.

Petco and Banfield have never been affiliated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Gregg57 in Charles Town, West Virginia

63 months ago

I think the problem with Banfield is not the company, but with the individual vets.

When we lived in Springfield MO, Banfield had the two best vets I have ever had for my Shelties. They were both high-ranking graduates of Mizzou's Vet Program in Columbia, MO. They treated our Shelties for 9 years and saved one of them from an arachnid bite that could have killed him. Where I currently live, there is no Banfield nearby, so I can't offer an opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

kukukachoo

62 months ago

I am a groomer a Petco. Today I found out the GM cut my days ffom 4-5 down to 1 day a week - she is trying to force me out and SHE will - i have never been repremanded and have no write up -as little as two weeks ago told me what a good job i was doing - one of the associates in the salon is married to a GM in a store close by. And is a source of constant gossip. And she has a couple of write-ups and is still there - It appears our GM is hesitant to let her go. Everyone in the salon seem to be scared of her. She did get out of line with me and I ask her if she had a problem w/me to come to me w/it and that what started this chain of events. The GM refuses to sit down and discuss this with me. Lucky I have been grooming off and on for 20 + yrs. So i will be able to find anothe job. I find this very unprofessional and will either go to coporate or see my lawyer or maybe the labor board . Maybe so of the Petco's are great to work for but not this one. she should lose her job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Quarkbar in Florida

62 months ago

I hope things work out for you kuku. I don't know how they can cut your hours so much...are you the only groomer besides the salon mgr? Just wondering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kukukachoo

62 months ago

Quarkbar in Florida said: I hope things work out for you kuku. I don't know how they can cut your hours so much...are you the only groomer besides the salon mgr? Just wondering.

She can cut the hours as she please making very hard on the salon manager-funny thing I was in the store w/ my dog shopping and she the GM Hustled me for a job -I wasn't even looking :( make me wonder about her. We have 2 other groomers but the salon manager is going back to maryland for vacation in July an they need more the one and a-half groomer to keep up the numbers-- the groomer that is married to the GM from the Beaumont store is not much of a groomer and is a constant source of irratation. for all the groomers not just me. Our GM just doesn't care that the salon manager is in a bind. which is sad - none of the groomers are under 44 except the salon manager- and It's really is taking its toll on her. 3 of us are excellent groomers and all get along w/ each other . But the good news is i got a new job today and i am the first hire in. so hopefully there will not be to much drama -- But what goes around -comes around and we live in small area. word travels fast. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Trainer #1 in New London, Connecticut

52 months ago

Diane The Groomer in Sparta, Illinois said: Often when a groomer is being considered for a position, it has become customary to test their skills one of three ways. One of course obtain reliable references and see photos and call past clients, but many people will not supply honest references. The second way is to have them groom their own dog in your presence. The third way is to have them do a "demo dog" at the shop. The main problem with this is that you will have to watch them every step and be capable of steping in should the need arise. I have done a few of these demos. The first one was a cat that was completely matted to the bone and very unhappy. I came to find out that the cat had been picked up off the street. Needless to say that said a lot about the potential employer.

The second time was at a Petco. Yes, I broke down and applied for a position once.
And did a "demo"...

To start in grooming, I would recommend that you purchase soome equipment and practice on your own dog or a friends dog. Then offer to groom dogs and cats at your neighborhood shelter. Take photos of before and after and when you are confident in handling clippers and scissors apply for a position as a part time bather/brusher with a local groomer who has a reputation for doing pets correctly. Then take it from there. Go to dog shows and watch the pros. Ask groomers at the shows where they got their experience. Othwewise, I would move to a very big city or one with a large senior population and attend a reputable school of grooming there. Bypass Petco...It'd be like learning to cook starting at McDonalds...

I agree that Petco & Petsmart have bad groomers. They don't want trained groomers.They want to train you incorrectly I might add. I have 18 yrs of grooming experience. Do NOT try to learn on your own! It is easy to cut an animal if you do not know what you are doing! Go to a reputable groomer & ask if they would train you. You could start as a bather.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Trainer #1 in New London, Connecticut

52 months ago

Diane in Millersville, Missouri said: Petco pays either $7 an hour or commission, but only after you have spent $2000+ to go thru their training/certification program.

That is what they tell you but if you check with the other schools you will find that they are better and in the long run not as expensive as the $2000 Petco claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Edana76 in High Point, North Carolina

48 months ago

I have to answer this, even though my answer will be controversial...

I am a pet groomer with decades of experience. I work VERY hard, have excellent business ethics and treat animals and their pets with the utmost respect. Pet grooming is an industry where a GOOD QUALITY groomer can earn a substantial income.

I am very displeaased with the marketing and lack of training and lack of quality that PETCO offers.

First of all, PETCO seems to think that six weeks training is all a groomer to be needs. Then they charge a ridiculously low price and then sell "add-ons" to make the overall cost of the groom up there with the privately owned shops ANYWAY. And the quality of the groom is substandard...

" Sorry but you are incorrect. I've been a Groomer/Salon manager since 1998 with Petco now. I do competion styling and am certified in 3 groups. Your Training is 3 month and after that you are with your Manager side by side for 1 year.
Our prices are in average of the other local shops"

I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix the grooming job that a PETCO groomer has done. Just go and watch how they groom...I do occasionally and it is horrible.
"goes both ways, we fix alot of cuts other salons have created"

They pay on an average of $7 an hour or commission, which is terrible pay. The groomers that they have is by and large "rejects" from other shops. WOrd gets around in communities and the "word" on Petco is not good...

" We have the highest sales and clientel in NC and SC. I myself have a large clientel that brings me good buisness and a great paycheck"

The hiring process is application, written test (personality profiliing), and then a very political
" There is no written test. You submit an application online and if you have experience, you get called"
"Sounds like you have been the reject, which is why u r so bitter"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Trainer #1 in New London, Connecticut said: That is what they tell you but if you check with the other schools you will find that they are better and in the long run not as expensive as the $2000 Petco claim.

The Grooming school here in NC charges $6000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I love my job and my co-workers, which is a very rare thing! I get paid time off (3 weeks) bereavement, medical leave, medical vision and dental insurance and 401K.
I have a super awesum understanding GM. My Team is awesum! We are a little family and treat our customers that way. We have the highest rating in Customer services which shows our hard work.
Thur-Sun are like Grand central station, super hectic but I love it. No dog ever stays more then 2 hours, no cage dryers and 75% of customers know me by name and vice versa. Im consider myself very lucky!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Diane in Millersville, Missouri said: Petco pays either $7 an hour or commission, but only after you have spent $2000+ to go thru their training/certification program.

Incorrect, you get paid while you are training. After 3 month you get paid PLUS commission. You also right away get medical insurance and 3 PTO days. PLEASE do not throw info out if you have NO clue what you are talking about!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Mary Daigle in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Petco is a part of the Banfield Pet Hospitals. My dog was horribly treated by Banfield. I took him into Banfield the month before he had to be put down for his "wellness exam." The vet did not even examine him. A month later I took him back since there was a very obvious mass on his left hind leg. The unlicensed "nurses" took ex-rays. The vet did not even look at the ex-rays. They put him in a small cage all day. When they called me to tell me to come get him he could hardly walk due to being caged all day. The vet, who never examined him, told me he a neurological problems and referred me to a neurological veterinarian. They game me the ex-rays to take to the neuro center. I looked at the x-rays at home and saw the large mass, even though the x-rays were of poor quality, VERY POOR. I made an appointment with a veterinarian in private practice. He looked at the x-rays and said he thought my dog had an advanced primary mass on his hind leg. My dog was treated with care and put down. Banfield/Petco should not be allowed to be in business but they have political connections nationwide. They are a despicable corporation and should not be allowed to do business in the way they do it.

" If you really went thru this you would've known you were inside a PETSMART not a PETCO" To bad for your dog but get ur lies straight before spreading them"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Bellevue, Washington

48 months ago

Mary Daigle in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Petco is a part of the Banfield Pet Hospitals. My dog was horribly treated by Banfield. I took him into Banfield the month before he had to be put down for his "wellness exam." The vet did not even examine him. A month later I took him back since there was a very obvious mass on his left hind leg. The unlicensed "nurses" took ex-rays. The vet did not even look at the ex-rays. They put him in a small cage all day. When they called me to tell me to come get him he could hardly walk due to being caged all day. The vet, who never examined him, told me he a neurological problems and referred me to a neurological veterinarian. They game me the ex-rays to take to the neuro center. I looked at the x-rays at home and saw the large mass, even though the x-rays were of poor quality, VERY POOR. I made an appointment with a veterinarian in private practice. He looked at the x-rays and said he thought my dog had an advanced primary mass on his hind leg. My dog was treated with care and put down. Banfield/Petco should not be allowed to be in business but they have political connections nationwide. They are a despicable corporation and should not be allowed to do business in the way they do it.

Actually that would be Petsmart not Petco that is connected to Banfield.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Bellevue, Washington

48 months ago

They pay for your training but you have to pay for your tools, I think thats fair. Not only that but they pay you while you are being trained.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

mrspathfinder@yahoo.com in Albertville, Alabama

45 months ago

Diane I have news for you. I have been a dog groomer for 23 years I started in Atlanta GA as a show groomer then went to pet grooming when I had children. I am VERY good at grooming and all of the pet groomers I work with at Petco are top of their game. You gave a very broad generalization when you spoke about groomers at Petco which is very unfair. Petco hired me knowing that I had over 20 years of experience and I proved myself to have above average ability to groom. As far as the interview I did not find the interview to be highly political or anything else. Our prices are actually higher than most because you get what you pay for ,are you sure you are not thinking of Petsmart. Petco would never settle for substandard groomers and I know that for a fact ,there was one trying to work there when I first hired on ,she didn't make it. Not to be mean or rude but have you tried to work at Petco and not been hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrspathfinder@yahoo.com in Albertville, Alabama

45 months ago

You don't use nooses well then you are opening yourself u to having a dog get injured
while in your care. The noose is there not for control but to prevent injury to the animal. Do you also take your personal pets outside without a leash? Or is that unreasonable restraint?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wonder in Jacksonville, Florida

44 months ago

Congrats on your new job, hope it is working out well.

That is what a spiteful GM will do. My GM did get out and now the new Salon MGR is the person I trained at Petco to groom. A new groomer with 6 months expierence is better for them than a seasoned groomer who would just not conform to their games. Oh, and corporate is no help as they stand behind their GM's because they can not accept that things are running poorly because of them. Everybody covers their own behinds and someone needs to be outsted... One thing good is like you I have 20 plus years exp. and found another job. And the other thing good is my head has stopped pounding because of the games of a poor groomer and bather wanting me out and a GM to fall for them.

How i Wonder,,,

kukukachoo said: I am a groomer a Petco. Today I found out the GM cut my days ffom 4-5 down to 1 day a week - she is trying to force me out and SHE will - i have never been repremanded and have no write up -as little as two weeks ago told me what a good job i was doing - one of the associates in the salon is married to a GM in a store close by. And is a source of constant gossip. And she has a couple of write-ups and is still there - It appears our GM is hesitant to let her go. Everyone in the salon seem to be scared of her. She did get out of line with me and I ask her if she had a problem w/me to come to me w/it and that what started this chain of events. The GM refuses to sit down and discuss this with me. Lucky I have been grooming off and on for 20 + yrs. So i will be able to find anothe job. I find this very unprofessional and will either go to coporate or see my lawyer or maybe the labor board . Maybe so of the Petco's are great to work for but not this one. she should lose her job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Saint Michael, Minnesota

44 months ago

I just wanted to say...Petco is NOT a part of Banfield. Petsmart is. Let's keep Petco and Petsmart straight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eye opener in Sebring, Florida

39 months ago

kukukachoo said: I am a groomer a Petco. Today I found out the GM cut my days ffom 4-5 down to 1 day a week - she is trying to force me out and SHE will - i have never been repremanded and have no write up -as little as two weeks ago told me what a good job i was doing - one of the associates in the salon is married to a GM in a store close by. And is a source of constant gossip. And she has a couple of write-ups and is still there - It appears our GM is hesitant to let her go. Everyone in the salon seem to be scared of her. She did get out of line with me and I ask her if she had a problem w/me to come to me w/it and that what started this chain of events. The GM refuses to sit down and discuss this with me. Lucky I have been grooming off and on for 20 + yrs. So i will be able to find anothe job. I find this very unprofessional and will either go to coporate or see my lawyer or maybe the labor board . Maybe so of the Petco's are great to work for but not this one. she should lose her job.

This is what these company's do. They use the good groomers and learn how to run their company the way the mom and pops run theirs. They are trying to run every small business out! They say how much better they are becuase of their better setups, but they are No Better!. They have inexperanced groomer's. They care nothing about the Pet Parents, They are just looking for money!. People are over charged to Help The MIDDLE Man Get HIS OR HER BONUS!! Its time we started seeing This for what It IS and Stop Letting These companys Take ADVBANTAGE OF US!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

eye opener in Sebring, Florida

39 months ago

Its time That we Started to Think of the Small Business Groomer. We are the ones who started Grooming. The corporation's Are Taking over and The Consumer is paying a very High price for The MIDDLE MAN. They have used good groomers to make there company what it is today. They train students for only 4 wks! Some people who have never even picked up a pair of clippers!.. Why do we allow this to go on?? Think about this people! They are putting student threw there own grooming schools at the rate of 5 - 10 people every 4 months
! Pretty soon they will have more groomers then dogs and they will only be paying these people a very low pay! Stop helping these companys to grow!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

grizlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

38 months ago

The hiring process is application, written test (personality profiliing), and then a very political
Opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. With you, your main problem I bet is being updated!
You sound like the old dog that can't be taught a new trick!
The way times are and money is you need to do the best you can with what you have, these young kids going through now a days if they are good, they would excel through any kind of training if they want it bad enough. I myself would probably like to learn from multiple people, meaning different styles, different techniques and different dog handling techniques than from one opinionated old bag like you.
I'm sure not everything you do in your shop is the "right" way. Anyone stuck there with you, would learn your style right or wrong! Go wherever you can and wherever you can afford to go and get any kind of experience you can because the snobs (like this lady or any (majority) shop owner isn't going to let you in there anyways. I got my dog grooming certificate in 1988, some times it's tough and some times it's great! You can learn something you can use or something you would never do working with different people. Do what you want, do what you can afford and get knowledge wherever you can.
Good Luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.