How to get a job at Petco.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Petco? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Brandy

92 months ago

Petco seems to have the same jobs posted over and over again for extended periods of time. I know a few people who have applied to a couple of them over the last year with no response, and they continue to repost the same openings. Are they not filling these jobs? Why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Bloomfield, New Jersey

92 months ago

Who the hell wants a job at Petco. If you are into witnessing the suffering of innocent creatures or taking orders from some pimply faced child then this is the place for you. Do all of the earths creatures a favour, research pet supply retailers who abide by a code of ethics wich include not selling products which have not been tested on animals such as shampoos, powders, sprays, etc. Also select a retailer who maintains a clean shop and whos animals are well treated, healthy and not neglected and who contributes a large potion of profits to shelters and other support servcies for homeless animals. Never purchase products from any retailer who chooses profits over the humane treatment of our furry friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (270) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy

92 months ago

I've noticed that they have posted two director positions for supply chain and distribution over and over again for the last year. Why is that?

I've spoken to someone who is a director of supply chain for another reputable company and applied for one of these with no response at all. Are they not serious? Are they disorganized? Why would they keep wasting people's time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in San Marcos, Texas

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Petco? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I worked for PETCO as a D.M. for five years. They are a "network" hiring organization. If you know someone that knows someone that works at a hiring level at PETCO you can get in easily.
It is a "good old boy" organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Bloomfield, New Jersey

92 months ago

Strange that a S**T hole like Petco would have to be a place to know someone to get a job. I guess in this case its lucky for those of us who dont know anyone there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (82) Reply - Report abuse

Deb

92 months ago

The number of reposted jobs is crazy. What is the real story behind posting the same jobs over and over? Anyone from Petco know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

just me in San Diego, California

91 months ago

All of you guys are a bunch of LLLLLLLLLOOOOOSSSSSeeeeeeRRRRRSSSS!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (249) Reply - Report abuse

Cathie

91 months ago

I have have been employed by Petco on a part-time basis for only a short time and what I've seen in this short time regarding animal concern and care is VERY disheartening to this animal lover. Bob from San Marcus is also correct describing Petco as an "old boy network". All of Petco's literature is very high on promoting from within when, in fact, they usually DO NOT unless you do know someone!
They could care less about training and promoting current employees who like there jobs and would like to stay on but would also like to move up. In the short time I've been with Petco I have seen no real concern from either local or district management regarding the animals in their care nor the employees they employ.....We are BOTH dispensable!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

AKhan in Matawan, New Jersey

91 months ago

if u really want a job u have to keep calling them until they give u an interview... lol... thats what i did and i have an interview tomorrow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Clanton, Alabama

91 months ago

Deb said: The number of reposted jobs is crazy. What is the real story behind posting the same jobs over and over? Anyone from Petco know?

I applied to PETCO when I saw four different manager-type jobs postd online. After no rsponse, I went dirrectly to the store. I was told by the manager that PETCO shows opening all over the country. He said his job had been posted for two years. Not reliable at all. Yes, that store DID seem to be run by very young people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Petco Boss in Range, Alabama

90 months ago

Just because a store is run by young people doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Why would you have a problem with that? Maybe you should question yourself. Petco is a great place to work. Only disgruntled employees complain about their jobs, and usually they're not performing worth a crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Saint Augustine, Florida

90 months ago

Brandy said: Petco seems to have the same jobs posted over and over again for extended periods of time. I know a few people who have applied to a couple of them over the last year with no response, and they continue to repost the same openings. Are they not filling these jobs? Why?
I agree , I have over 10 years experience in retail management. Everything from loss prevention to building a store. Great references and the last store I ran did over 15 million, I didn't even get a call back. Same jobs are posted for last four months that I have noticed. Employers--stop wasting our time and yours! Lazy lazy take them off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Salt Lake City, Utah

89 months ago

At least Stacy is able to express herself articulately and is able to utilize both punctuation AND capitalization. Both of which are staples of written communication. Just Me seems unfamiliar with the existence of either of these rudimetary English skills. Just Me would better off utilizing his/her time taking an online GED course and less time insulting other people's well expressed and seemingly credible opinions. Just Me, your opinions lose credibility when you expose yourself as an ignorant, illiterate, huckleberry and a bully. Get something relevant to say and then learn how to express it as a non-idiot if you ever want to be taken seriously. Stacy's concerns about the well being of animals and animal related ethics are important aspects to those people who are interested in acquiring a job in an animal related field.

just me in San Diego, California said: Oh yeah look at miss tough one thinking they are to much for petco they are really to small and stupid to work there that is why they dont get hired you think by saying this you are kool you should just go get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Germantown, Maryland

89 months ago

Bob in San Marcos, Texas said: I worked for PETCO as a D.M. for five years. They are a "network" hiring organization. If you know someone that knows someone that works at a hiring level at PETCO you can get in easily.

Maybe in your chain..over here it was as simple as going online to fill out the application and walking right in with an enthusiastic attitude. I got hired on the spot..wasn't hard at all. Looking back though, I wish I hadn't have stepped foot in that place hehehe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Germantown, Maryland

89 months ago

Petco Boss in Range, Alabama said: Just because a store is run by young people doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Why would you have a problem with that? Maybe you should question yourself. Petco is a great place to work. Only disgruntled employees complain about their jobs, and usually they're not performing worth a crap.

Then I need to move to Alabama, it seems they know how to run things down there. I am a disgruntled worker, but not because I didn't work crap. I was hired at $8.00/hr. I was so punctual and trustworthy that within two months I was promoted to Team Lead at $9.00. Then the problems started. In my 6 month stay with Petco, we had 4 changes of management. The Store manager who hired me was fired after a month of my being there so I didn't really get to know her. The Assistant manager stepped up and had to handle the role of both Store/Ass. manager. It put pressure on all of us. Mind you were were understaffed, not because we did not have a plethora of people trying to apply for the job but because corporate simply did not give us the hours to employ more than 8 people. With 7 day business hours, it was hard to distribute workers throughtout the week, considering that to run a place that large you needed at least 3 people min working one shift (Manager, cashier, floor sales-man or backup cashier), to which there were two shifts, daily! So time/workman distribution became a problem and my new manager told me she needed my help. I became her "mini-assistant manager" still working for $9.00/hr..but it was odd when my duties started turning into salary manager work including, payroll, scheduling, ordering supplies, scheduling vet care etc etc. In the end I was being used; and after my bitter fellow co-workers fingered me in some non-existant scandal, HR decided to remove me because of it, without proof, when in reality they wanted to wash their hands clean of abusing and overworking someone who should have only been a regular team lead. Sucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Flushing, New York

89 months ago

Brandy said: Petco seems to have the same jobs posted over and over again for extended periods of time. I know a few people who have applied to a couple of them over the last year with no response, and they continue to repost the same openings. Are they not filling these jobs? Why?

I know. I went to a open house, had retail experience and various certificates in animal care and they said I wasn't qualified. I think it was an age thing as I am 50, however they advertise they are age friendly. I then went into various stores and everyone is under thirty. I guess they want the publicity of being of being open minded but don't practice what they preach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Petco Employee in Copperas Cove, Texas

89 months ago

Don in Flushing, New York said: I know. I went to a open house, had retail experience and various certificates in animal care and they said I wasn't qualified. I think it was an age thing as I am 50, however they advertise they are age friendly. I then went into various stores and everyone is under thirty. I guess they want the publicity of being of being open minded but don't practice what they preach.

I am WELL over 50 and did not have any problem securing a position at Petco. Perhaps your experiance was not in the needed areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

James in Whitewater, Wisconsin

88 months ago

Petco is really not all that bad, considering you really do have to become a vet in most cases with the animals in the Wellness center. I was reading the post from the guy about being a "mini-assistant manager" The only way you are going to get better pay and make yourself known is to be assertive, that is the only way. You should have asked for the full position and the pay that comes with it or your gonna walk, how damn hard is that?
Anyway, you need to be assertive and know what you want to do in the company and they will place you anywhere you want to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

employee in Lansing, Michigan

88 months ago

Stacy in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Who the hell wants a job at Petco. If you are into witnessing the suffering of innocent creatures or taking orders from some pimply faced child then this is the place for you. Do all of the earths creatures a favour, research pet supply retailers who abide by a code of ethics wich include not selling products which have not been tested on animals such as shampoos, powders, sprays, etc. Also select a retailer who maintains a clean shop and whos animals are well treated, healthy and not neglected and who contributes a large potion of profits to shelters and other support servcies for homeless animals. Never purchase products from any retailer who chooses profits over the humane treatment of our furry friends.

A business is in the business to make money. Personally, I have worked for a couple different family owned pet stores and have seen MUCH worse cases of animal care and neglect. I've found PetCo's policies on animal welfare to be far more top notch than any other pet store I've ever worked for. They actually have an hourly check of animal health and any deceased animals- including fish- get cremated by an outsourced company. Also- ANY sick animal is immediately tended to by a vet- EVEN the MICE!! I feel PetCo has the best quality care for sick or dead animals. And the comment about working for pimply-faced young kids is a crock of crap!!!! I started managing a pet store when I was 21 and was a DAMN GOOD ONE (I ended employment on my own terms at the age of 30)! AGE DOESNT MATTER if you have the proper skills- MOST PEOPLE ARE LACKING IN COMMUNICATION SKILLS- which is why they have a hard time finding a job!
So you must not use shampoo, makeup, etc. cause pretty much all of our own products are tested on animals!! Check your labels! And if you're so worried about animal testing- what about other daily stuff you use that is harming OUR EARTH!! Do you use plastic bags? diapers for your baby? etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

To the employee in Michigan. What do you do there now, I am a sales associate, I don't get paid as much as I would like, but after you get done with the Petco Certifications do they really put you into the management pool?
The reason that I am asking is because I am graduating this May with a degree in Administration, but I've worked my 5 years through college in retail environments, but I like Petco and I want to transfer away when I get done with school, do they do that for anyone that wants a management position? Also what do you think they look for in their managers and also how long do I have to be with them before I can become an Assistant Manager, Operations Manager or Merchandising Manager?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

employee in Lansing, Michigan

88 months ago

James in Whitewater, Wisconsin said: To the employee in Michigan. What do you do there now, I am a sales associate, I don't get paid as much as I would like, but after you get done with the Petco Certifications do they really put you into the management pool?
The reason that I am asking is because I am graduating this May with a degree in Administration, but I've worked my 5 years through college in retail environments, but I like Petco and I want to transfer away when I get done with school, do they do that for anyone that wants a management position? Also what do you think they look for in their managers and also how long do I have to be with them before I can become an Assistant Manager, Operations Manager or Merchandising Manager?

Thanks

James,
I have started as a sales associate, but have been asked about taking a team lead position. After your certifications - YES- they will put you in the management pool. They prefer to hire internally instead, however, if you are hired in as a team lead, you will get paid more, versus moving up. Which I wish I had known prior to taking a sales associate position otherwise, I may have waited for the team lead position to open first. They are great at relocation also- they have had a couple transfers since I've been there. They have also stressed that there are many other positions to move up into if I decide not to take the team lead position. I don't know your situation or experience, but I DO have 9 years previous pet retail manangement experience, also an associate degree in management, and 3 years clincal work. So I have a lot tucked under my belt, that would be suitable for a position like that. I think you have to be a team lead, before moving up from there to assistant manager, etc.
Hope that helps, although I'm sure each store general manager is different when it comes to them running their stores and positions available. So just be sure to keep your communication clear and open w/mgr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Thanks very much for you information, I was having trouble getting a straight answer. My retail experience is 6 years hardware and customer service, but they were mostly sales positions and one limited management experience which I was really sorrry to have to leave because I was still in school. I will be graduating at the end of May, but my experience with this company is only 5 months. I truly need a new job title and I have made that known to them, I just need to get the certifications done and from what you've told me that is all that is really holding me back.
Is there anything else in your experience that they look for with there management people? Also, when someone that they have working for them graduates with a college degree, do they automatically give them a pay raise and try to find a position with more responsibilites? What was the big pay difference between a Team Lead and say an Operations Manager?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Bronx, New York

88 months ago

Petco Employee in Copperas Cove, Texas said: I am WELL over 50 and did not have any problem securing a position at Petco. Perhaps your experiance was not in the needed areas.

I saw various other positions advertised in petco and still wasn't contacted, as a couple of other people I know of in similar position as I am in that they weren't hired either even though quilified- I called the area supervisor who I interviewed with, with no success. in short she didn't return phone calls. I asked to s/w her superivior and was told I should resmit my reume and put in a couple of postions I would be interested in, again Lots of adds but no reponse from Petco. I Know Vetereinary care, Training companion animals and have retail experince. all postions advertised for. Yes, you have a job and are over 50 and that is great, but what is your areas demographics. The only place I've seen Petco & Petsmart have people over 50 working are in areas where retirement communties are located and there are a shortage of young workers. Come up to NYC area and find someone over 50. Not good for a company that advertises on 4hire 50 and older. In short I now buy my pet food for my 2 dogs and dogs I foster from private Mom & Pop stores where they at least know my name. The baby boomers are aging and getting compion animals so Petco's marketing and hiring
policy is the only thing that is over 50 years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

PreppyZully in Reseda, California

81 months ago

ok HOW CAN PEOPLE GET A JOB AT PETCO?>CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ,DOSE ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE...RECOMMENDATIONS? (*`,`*|||)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

garyperry in Las Vegas, Nevada

79 months ago

I love working with dogs, cats, fish I have a dog now his name is eddie, a pom..I've been taking care dogs (poms) for the past 30 years...I would like very much to work for petco..Thank you

Gary Perry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Kyttyn in Wheeling, West Virginia

77 months ago

I applied at PetCo once and didn't get a response. I have a friend who worked there and when I asked her why, she said they get LOTS of applicants. So, when I applied the second time, I made sure to go in the very next day and make sure the manager got my application and he then set up an interview right then and there! You just have to be active about getting a job there, it's competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kyttyn in Wheeling, West Virginia

77 months ago

Also, I might add that not only does retail experience help, but so does animal experience! I also work at our local zoo. So even if you can't work at your local zoo, you can at least try to volunteer at one or an animal shelter or something similar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brittiany haley in Danville, Virginia

75 months ago

i need a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

brittiany haley in Danville, Virginia

75 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Petco? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

no i hered to was going to opean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

blahblah in Mcminnville, Oregon

68 months ago

I only have fast-food experience but they called me for an interview 2 weeks after applying online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amandi in Ypsilanti, Michigan

66 months ago

The main thing to keep in mind is that Petco is not just for someone who 'needs a job'... Petco is for someone who loves animals and the more experience you have with animals the better. There is extensive training so a desire to learn is a must and be excited about the company when you do get the interview, that'll help you get the job ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nona112 in Minnesota

66 months ago

It's retail and many retail jobs seem to have a high turn over rate. As far as "getting in", you have to be proactive in the job market. Recently, they received over 400 applications for a new store in Minnesota. You MUST call and follow up with companies this is job hunting 101, filling out an application is not showing a high level of interest compared to someone who is sending in resumes and following up with a phone call. Yes, it may seem over kill, but you need to consider what you're competition is doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nona112 in Minnesota

66 months ago

Cathie said: I have have been employed by Petco on a part-time basis for only a short time and what I've seen in this short time regarding animal concern and care is VERY disheartening to this animal lover. Bob from San Marcus is also correct describing Petco as an "old boy network". All of Petco's literature is very high on promoting from within when, in fact, they usually DO NOT unless you do know someone!
They could care less about training and promoting current employees who like there jobs and would like to stay on but would also like to move up. In the short time I've been with Petco I have seen no real concern from either local or district management regarding the animals in their care nor the employees they employ.....We are BOTH dispensable!!!!!!

Sorry to inform you, but MANY companies promote from within. Have you been proactive and mentioned to your supervisors you'd like to learn more? If they don't respond you could always use your own resources, like the internet, library and local zoo to learn more about animals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nona112 in Minnesota

66 months ago

It's retail and in retail it seems to be very common to have a high turn over rate. Also, they are a nation-wide company so they most likely get a flood of applications. Your friends MUST follow up with phone calls, besides this is business protocol anyways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nona112 in Minnesota

66 months ago

Stacy in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Who the hell wants a job at Petco. If you are into witnessing the suffering of innocent creatures or taking orders from some pimply faced child then this is the place for you. Do all of the earths creatures a favour, research pet supply retailers who abide by a code of ethics wich include not selling products which have not been tested on animals such as shampoos, powders, sprays, etc. Also select a retailer who maintains a clean shop and whos animals are well treated, healthy and not neglected and who contributes a large potion of profits to shelters and other support servcies for homeless animals. Never purchase products from any retailer who chooses profits over the humane treatment of our furry friends.

Wow, you seem to have a lot of anger. As far as the pimply faced child, you must be 18 to work at a Petco, I'm 23 and have a few pimples does this imply that I don't know anything based on my appearance and age? That's considered agism.
Petco does contribute profits through their Petco Foundation, do some research about it before you badmouth a company. They also highly promotes adoption.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nona112 in Minnesota

66 months ago

PreppyZully in Reseda, California said: ok HOW CAN PEOPLE GET A JOB AT PETCO?>CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ,DOSE ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE...RECOMMENDATIONS? (*`,`*|||)

Hello, try a job fair if you see they're hosting one. If not, send over a cover letter, resume and application. It may seem like overkill, but it will set you apart from all the other applicants.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fatalxstars in Burnsville, Minnesota

63 months ago

I applied for the burnsville mn location when i was 17, got an interview but was too young then reapplied when i was 18, got the job immediately and have been there for two years. we've been through three different GM's but still managed to come out well. I did not know anyone in the company, nor did i think i would get the job. If you present yourself in a professional manner and have the skills required for the job then you should get it. Education and animal experience is a must. I got promoted to a CAS position when i had only been there for six months, now i'm currently going to transfer to the new Chaska store because of my work ethic. And as for the treatment of animals, at the burnsville location animals still, and always will come first...Plus Petco holds your application for 90 days, so if they really are hiring, and you didn't get a response, you're not good enough or you're not what they're looking for. try petsmart. .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Sh in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

Anon in Germantown, Maryland said: but it was odd when my duties started turning into salary manager work including, payroll, scheduling, ordering supplies, scheduling vet care etc etc

Actually in the P&P under job discriptions. All of those duties are under the Team Lead position. Which is a moot point now since there is no longer a Team Lead title, now it's Department Managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SunnySky in Hutchinson, Kansas

61 months ago

Let me say first and foremost....PETCO is an EOE. I am over 50 and did not have a problem getting a job at PETCO.
Here are my tips for getting a job at PETCO and anywhere else.
1. Fill out the online application.
2. Follow-up with an inquiry, in-person preferrably. Phone calls are okay but shows a lack of committment in obtaining a job. Be Eager.....show up in person and you might even get an interview.
3. When you do come into the store for a job or interview, please do NOT wear worn out jeans and other tattered clothing. Any tattoos and piercings should be down-played. NO gum chewing!!!
4. When you have an interview, please show up on time.
5. A firm handshake and eye contact and a smile is a must.
6. During the interview, be articulate. Answer the questions concisely without going on and on.

Just a few of my thoughts, please feel free to add comments
It's easy getting the job, keeping it is another conversation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

debbie4him in Fort Worth, Texas

61 months ago

SunnySky in Hutchinson, Kansas said: Let me say first and foremost....PETCO is an EOE. I am over 50 and did not have a problem getting a job at PETCO.
Here are my tips for getting a job at PETCO and anywhere else.
1. Fill out the online application.
2. Follow-up with an inquiry, in-person preferrably. Phone calls are okay but shows a lack of committment in obtaining a job. Be Eager.....show up in person and you might even get an interview.
3. When you do come into the store for a job or interview, please do NOT wear worn out jeans and other tattered clothing. Any tattoos and piercings should be down-played. NO gum chewing!!!
4. When you have an interview, please show up on time.
5. A firm handshake and eye contact and a smile is a must.
6. During the interview, be articulate. Answer the questions concisely without going on and on.

Just a few of my thoughts, please feel free to add comments
It's easy getting the job, keeping it is another conversation

I am over fifty also. My employment experience has been limited because I was a stay at home mom. But I worked three years in health care, three in education, three in the Marine Corps, 1 1/2 years at Walmart. I have a B.A. degree. Except for my own experience with animals at home I really have little experience. I want the job at Petco because I love animals and I think I finally realized what I wanted to be "when I grew up". I have my own pet sitting business I started last month but I am losing money in that due to my location. I live in the country. Anyway, what do you suggest I do? I filled out an application online last week and I've called yesterday and today. Got hopeful responses but they never called back. My hope is to learn dog grooming and dog training and all there is to know about dogs. I love them, they are my passion. I am hoping to get a job as a dog bather. Please advise me and once I get the job how do I keep it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SunnySky in Hutchinson, Kansas

60 months ago

I would continue to check back with the GM (General Manager)
Just let him/her know you are interested in any job related to dogs. However, if there is something else available...GO FOR IT.
The idea is to get your PAW in the door.
I really like dog training....read whatever you can on the subjects related to dogs. BTW, Karen Pryor wrote the book (training Manuel) for PETCO. Read her other published books.
I'm from the "OLD SCHOOL" when it comes to job interviews. Dress in nice slacks, blouse and if you must wear tennis shoes, make certain they are clean. Yes, I know, the working enviroment is casual but that doesn't mean you should dress casually in jeans and a tee shirt. A Neat and tidy well-groomed appeareance, but not too dressy, is a "must" for setting yourself apart from other applicants.
If you are a member of the local animal shelter or rescue organizations, be sure to mention your volunteering experience.
Since dogs are your passion, be able to discuss "why" they are your passion. PETCO motto is "Animals First"
Once you have the job keeping it is pretty easy. Don't be a complainer, show up on time, be friendly, helpful, and eager to learn.
I hope this answers your questions. Please let us know when you start :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pecher1234 in Ithaca, New York

54 months ago

Bob in San Marcos, Texas said: I worked for PETCO as a D.M. for five years. They are a "network" hiring organization. If you know someone that knows someone that works at a hiring level at PETCO you can get in easily.

What are the chances that Petco would hire a previously employed Petsmart grooming salon employee for a salon stylist or manager position if they have a 4yr old misdemeanor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blue in Jacksonville, Florida

51 months ago

I was recently offered a job at petco to be the inventory person. What is the starting pay for the inventory job and also how soon can one be promoted to say salary. I have a lot of retail experience and I want to someday become a GM or even DM. ( I would have to quit my current job to take this one and im just trying to decide which one would be better ive been with my current place of employment for 5 years and so far I havent been able to make it to salary, for some reason the DM doesn't like me so I haven't been promoted yet even though I have several store's GM approval.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linz982 in Huntsville, Alabama

44 months ago

Does anyone know how much Petco pays an assistant manager to start? Is it similar to other types of retail?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Butterfly1970 in San Jose, California

41 months ago

I see there is a new store called Unleashed by Petco coming to San Jose. I applied a few weeks ago online. What is up with the tests??? What happened to filling out an application and getting to know an applicant by the interview?! Oh but not Petco. They make you take a long test and that is how they are going to determine who I am and if I deserve an interview??? Ridiculous!!! I'm an honest and hard working individual. Guess the company doesn't want to use their brains and let a computer do it for them. After reading info on this site, maybe I should be happy they never called me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Diehard in S.F.V., California

41 months ago

I just got hired at PETCO today. I'm really excited. I worked there when I was about 19, and it was a fun experience just being a cashier. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I just walked in and filled out a paper application and then followed-up, like most jobs worked when hiring in "the old days". I've been looking for clerical work for a few months, which is what I've done for the last decade after getting out of retail, and I decided to give it a go with the online application. I guess it's a rarity (based on what I've read here), but I got a call from the District Manager a few weeks later, had a great interview at the store a couple miles from my pad, and I start as the Complete Animal Care Department Manager tomorrow afternoon! I guess that means I run the part of the store in regards to any of the animals other than dogs and cats, under the District Manager and Assistant Manager there, of course. The pay is totally decent, and I'm stoked on working with animals and the public again. I've been sitting behind a desk for too long, plus I hear the benefits are killer, and I really love the bright, cheery environment of PETCO... all colorful n' what-not. And if it isn't that way now, it will be after I get there! So for anyone looking to get work there, don't let some of the posts here get you down. There's totally a chance! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ShyButFlirty in Kissimmee, Florida

37 months ago

I'd applied to Petco many times in the past two with no response. This year alone I've applied to three locations in the Orlando area and when I'd called they said they weren't hiring but yet keep posting jobs. But with that said four days ago I applied to a position at a closer location to where I just moved to and the next day got a call for interview which I'm going to tomorrow. I think the only reason I got it because the location I applied to this time hasn't open yet so they are hiring new people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RC in San Francisco, California

35 months ago

employee in Lansing, Michigan said: A business is in the business to make money. Personally, I have worked for a couple different family owned pet stores and have seen MUCH worse cases of animal care and neglect. I've found PetCo's policies on animal welfare to be far more top notch than any other pet store I've ever worked for. They actually have an hourly check of animal health and any deceased animals- including fish- get cremated by an outsourced company. Also- ANY sick animal is immediately tended to by a vet- EVEN the MICE!! I feel PetCo has the best quality care for sick or dead animals. And the comment about working for pimply-faced young kids is a crock of crap!!!! I started managing a pet store when I was 21 and was a DAMN GOOD ONE (I ended employment on my own terms at the age of 30)! AGE DOESNT MATTER if you have the proper skills- MOST PEOPLE ARE LACKING IN COMMUNICATION SKILLS- which is why they have a hard time finding a job!
So you must not use shampoo, makeup, etc. cause pretty much all of our own products are tested on animals!! Check your labels! And if you're so worried about animal testing- what about other daily stuff you use that is harming OUR EARTH!! Do you use plastic bags? diapers for your baby? etc...

Yes Petco has a good animal policy on paper, but like anything it is up to the people to enforce it. At my store it is not the case, animals are not seen by vets in a timely manner. Managers don't care, and the people that do care don't really have the power to change much. I called the hotline to complain tonight...I had to wait a really long time to get through and I'm not surprised at all. We had a reptile habitat that wasn't working for 3 months!!! All the managers knew and so did the DM, but fixing it was out of their hands. SOMEONE who was able i.e. a manager should have arranged for the animals to go to a store where they would have proper heating and light, instead we got new animals in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

carb in Whittier, California

34 months ago

Applied to petco about 2 weeks ago. Called today to follow up and was told they are not hiring. Seems like a pretty shady policy to constantly post jobs that they are not looking to fill...

PS I'm in Illinois not California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.