PetSmart Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at PetSmart?

What do you like best about working at PetSmart? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Quintes Matthews in Columbus, Georgia

96 months ago

What are the Benefits of PetSmart?

How did Petsmart get started?

Is PetSmart doing well?

Why should a person work for PetSmart?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

Salaries at petsmart in Schooleys Mountain, New Jersey

90 months ago

If you are looking for a little bit higher of a job opening such as an assistant manager or product manager at pet smart they start you roughly from $12.75-$16.00 an hour plus yearly raises and bonuses. So if you want higher than a regular employee and not all the responsibility of a manger and looking to make 32-37k a year. This would be a good solution.

Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

pbmax in Nicholasville, Kentucky

89 months ago

Hi,
Could anyone tell me how to score an interview at PetSmart. I applied for a store manager position posted on monster.com. I have over eight years retail experience, with 3 in management. I meet all of the miniumum requirements for the position but need to know how to get that interview! The online application is somewhat generic and doesn't even leave room for a cover letter. I'm trying to find out who i can contact directly to get that extra edge in. The employee i spoke at the store, was hesitant to give me a district manager name or contact. Is that the position directly above Store Manager. Thanks guys! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Admor in North Richland Hills, Texas

89 months ago

starting pay for trainer was $9/hr (30 yrs exp), 90 day review was done at 8 months and got 25 cent raise. no word on the 6 mo. review. trying to find a contact person to check on medical leave benefit = impossible. constantly told if class wasn't sold i'd be fired. Classes raised to $109 recently. No single students in class even if nobody else signed up and that is the only time the student can come in. Supposed to re-schedule ongoing class to match work schedule when became cashier to get away from the sales pressure. Hours scheduled vary from day to day. One day you will be there til 10 pm or later and the next you open the store at 8 am. Told to clock out and then finish the task.

Managers work 11 hour days. at our store they stocked shelves during the day! They are sort of salary and sort of not. Department managers clock in & out like associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

This is a very spread out question, but here goes...First things first, I'm offering my answer based on the scale followed in this state. Local and Federal labor laws may govern different pay scales depending on where you are. Associates usually start at $7.00 dollars and up depending on experience related to retail operations as well as pet care experience. Starting pay scale will also be affected by department. Generalized positions like cashier and stock will inherently start slightly (if I could italicize I would do it here) lower than pet care, but this is again dependent on specific factors. The Salon and Pet training positions are services positions. With training and commission pay involved, the pay can vary wildly. Managers are also planted up and down the scale. Entry level management positions pay a little better than that of highly experienced associate positions. Since the positions are ideal for high potential associates to advance to management, the pay jump here may not be dramatic. Department heads make better money because of a drastic increase in responsibility, and there is incentive to manage your department well. All of these positions so far are hourly, so department heads down to associates do punch in and out as usual. To date, the only salaried positions in the store are that of Operations Manager and Store Manager. The Ops Manager is the right hand man of sorts to the Store Manager, and helps to maintain the store in the absence of the Store Manager. Both positions here require the greatest store experience and as such carry the greatest difference and amount of pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

New-B in Phoenix, Arizona

86 months ago

Hi,I am new here and new to the petsmart working team.
I just had my interview and my drug test done yesterday. The man that interviewed me seemed to sure that I was going to be hired. I am just waiting for the call.
How long does it usually take for Petsmart to call you?
I know 48hrs for drug test.What color pants and shoes do I have to wear? Where do I buy the shirt? I want to buy the pants and shoes before I go in to fill out the paper work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

franky_402 in Ottawa, Illinois

86 months ago

starting out at a dc with me i started at 13.00 dont know about raises or bonuses. We have plasmas in our break room along with five fridges and two freezers. Also we have 30 microwaves, this is just in our main breakroom. We also have a breakroom for shipping and recieving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Wainscott in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

84 months ago

I am very interested in obtaining employment with petsmart. I love my animals,new products, and it is my choice of stores to shop at. Also I have researched their benefits,availability to move up in the company and continuously learning more about pets,their care,health,needs, and products. Have completed on line application, and hoping for the opportunity to join petsmart. Sincerely Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

beefsteak in No Where, California

83 months ago

Just a quick run down for the newbies: I started off at $8.00 an hour more than a year and a half ago so I'm sure it's gone up a little bit since then. Only the Store Manager and Operations Manager get a salary based pay. All of the other managers are hourly. Manager bonuses are dependent on whether or not the entire store makes plan for the fiscal year. If one department for example grooming doesn't make plan, you can expect a pretty poor bonus. Employee discount is 15% off purchases. Pretty low compared to prior jobs I've had.

As a new employee you'll be supplied with one or two shirts (depending on how generous your store manager is feeling) and be required to wear khaki pants, a belt, and black, brown, or white shoes.

There are five main departments: Grooming, Training, Cashiering, Stocking, and Pet Care.

Grooming at times can seem like a seperate entity. (At my store they NEVER answer their phones) Expect to spend a majority of your time in Grooming and little next to NO time on the sales floor. You're basically either a bather and spend your entire day washing and drying dogs or an actual groomer. There is a grooming manager also.

Most stores either have one or two dog trainers. Be aware that how many hours you work depends on how many classes you have which of course depends on how many classes you sell. The good news is though you have the entire store helping you sell. Not by choice mind you....

Cashiering can be one of the most boring and one of the most hectic jobs in the store. On slow days, you'll be begging other departments to give you something to do and on busy days you'll sometimes wonder why you wanted the job so much in the first place.

The stocking department has an incredible ability to weed out the "weak." If you have trouble lifting 50 pound bags of dog food, don't expect to last long in this position. The main goal of this department is to get products out on the sales floor as quickly as possibly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

beefsteak in No Where, California

83 months ago

(continued from above post)

Learn to drive a fork lift and you can get a pay increase (five cents yay!) The Presentation and/or Pet Products Manager usually head this department.

And last but certainly not least MY department. Pet Care. This department is responsible for ALL of the animals in the store. Fish, birds, reptiles, small animals....you do it all. Daily tasks include feeding all of the animals, cleaning cages, medicating sick animals, scrubbing tanks, selling animals and answering any and all question customers may have about them. This department can be a real eye opener for a lot of new employees expecting to come into the department and cuddle with animals all day. The realities of life and death are harsh and are played out at PetSmart on a daily basis. Expect to deal with many MANY sick animals and see many, MANY deaths. It really can be quite depressing. While PetSmart may not be the worst pet store in the world, there is need for GREAT improvement in how they breed and transport their animals.
Oh and think you know a lot about animals? Think again. Your knowledge will be put to the ultimate test in this department and if you happen to be one of the few who truly do care and seek out knowledge and actually DO know what you are talking about, you'll be greatly UNDER APPRECIATED both by the customers and your fellow employees.

Bottom line, if you're a true animal lover, I'd stay away unless you think you can really handle seeing them die on a daily basis and at times go without treatment. If you're just looking for a part-time job to make some quick chump change, this place is for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (105) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

juflier10 in Silver Spring, Maryland

81 months ago

pbmax in Nicholasville, Kentucky said: Hi,
Could anyone tell me how to score an interview at PetSmart. I applied for a store manager position posted on monster.com. I have over eight years retail experience, with 3 in management. I meet all of the miniumum requirements for the position but need to know how to get that interview! The online application is somewhat generic and doesn't even leave room for a cover letter. I'm trying to find out who i can contact directly to get that extra edge in. The employee i spoke at the store, was hesitant to give me a district manager name or contact. Is that the position directly above Store Manager. Thanks guys! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-p

If you really wanna get in there call the store directly that you have applied for online. Ask to speak with their hiring manager (Operation Manager), he/she is in charge of all the hiring of associates and what not. So many people call and ask the status of their application, and I just forward them to our ops manager if he's in. Most of the time, he will review the application and specifically ask for their name, and go to them first. It shows you really want the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

juflier10 in Silver Spring, Maryland

81 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at PetSmart?

What do you like best about working at PetSmart? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

As for salaries, it really depends on the specific store you are working for. Some stores may really need the extra help, and therefore up the pay a bit. The average pay is between $7 and $8 an hour for newbies (cashiers, pet care, stockers). But it's all up to the operation's manager that hires you, the more skill you have, the higher you'll be paid probably.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

P in Chesapeake, Virginia

70 months ago

Why do new people get more hours??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

69 months ago

P in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Why do new people get more hours??

Usually, I think, it is because they are trying to "entice" the new people, and cut the hours out of the ones they are trying to get rid of. If they find you valuable employee, you get more hours. If you keep getting your hours cut, they hope you will quit. If you quit, you can't collect unemployment. Pretty simple business politics, really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EJ23228 in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

What exactly are the benefits for full time employees? The website doesn't specify. When do health benefits start, and are they paid by the company, or a percentage? Who is the provider (VA area)? Thanks for any information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

EJ23228 in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

What is the current starting rate for a full time bather planning to go to the grooming school? Minimum wage is increasing, and the pay mentioned is dreadfully low. I want to work there, was very impressed with both the local salon and store managers, and take my commitments seriously. I'm struggling with being able to financially afford taking the job, plus being out of town for a month. I'll pay a live-in sitter for my own critters during that time. Thanks to everyone that has provided helpful information. I've done retail for years - so much of job satisfaction depends on the individual store team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Bronx, New York

47 months ago

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois said: This is a very spread out question, but here goes...First things first, I'm offering my answer based on the scale followed in this state. Local and Federal labor laws may govern different pay scales depending on where you are. Associates usually start at $7.00 dollars and up depending on experience related to retail operations as well as pet care experience. Starting pay scale will also be affected by department. Generalized positions like cashier and stock will inherently start slightly (if I could italicize I would do it here) lower than pet care, but this is again dependent on specific factors. The Salon and Pet training positions are services positions. With training and commission pay involved, the pay can vary wildly. Managers are also planted up and down the scale. Entry level management positions pay a little better than that of highly experienced associate positions. Since the positions are ideal for high potential associates to advance to management, the pay jump here may not be dramatic. Department heads make better money because of a drastic increase in responsibility, and there is incentive to manage your department well. All of these positions so far are hourly, so department heads down to associates do punch in and out as usual. To date, the only salaried positions in the store are that of Operations Manager and Store Manager. The Ops Manager is the right hand man of sorts to the Store Manager, and helps to maintain the store in the absence of the Store Manager. Both positions here require the greatest store experience and as such carry the greatest difference and amount of pay.

you say pay varies working in the salon how much would you say the bather gets in petsmart are there more than one is it behin the scenes where no one sees you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Admor in Santa Cruz, California

47 months ago

The bather's pay varies with whatever is the local rate -- usually minimum wage. They may/may not share in any tips. There is usually one or two bathers and they work behind the scenes -- not where the public can see you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Hoboken, New Jersey

47 months ago

Admor in Santa Cruz, California said: The bather's pay varies with whatever is the local rate -- usually minimum wage. They may/may not share in any tips. There is usually one or two bathers and they work behind the scenes -- not where the public can see you.

Do they receive benefits medical and 401k like all the other job positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SBaker in Abington, Massachusetts

43 months ago

mary in Hoboken, New Jersey said: Do they receive benefits medical and 401k like all the other job positions?

Hey, Mary

I don't know if this answer is still relevant to you, but the part time associates get Aetna SRC insurance. It's a limited benefits insurance that actually has the option of covering a lot. It's a PPO plan. They also have dental for the part timers.
For the full timers, medical, dental and vision is covered through United Healthcare - and it covers a lot. It also has a 401k and options to buy stock.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia

42 months ago

benefits.petsmart.com totally specifies all benefits. Benefits are awesome. PetSmart is awesome. They will take care of you if you take care of them. I've made more $ working else where, but i have never loved working anywhere as much as I love working for PetSmart. Couldn't see myself anywhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ladit1408@gmail.com in Trenton, New Jersey

40 months ago

Just wondering,I'm Looking for a Pt Job only 20hrs a week,With no Benefits offered to Partimers,Do you offer to Pt PPL?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia

40 months ago

yes. different than full time benefits, but there are optional part time benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mdc76082 in Littleton, Colorado

18 months ago

Quintes Matthews in Columbus, Georgia said: What are the Benefits of PetSmart?

How did Petsmart get started?

Is PetSmart doing well?

Why should a person work for PetSmart?

The best advice I can give, is if you are interested go to the following link. You will not be able to login to the HR portal, but the tabs at the top of the page are easily navigable and you should get a lot of information and company history.

Here is the website link: benefits.petsmart.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

EJ23228 in Richmond, Virginia said: What exactly are the benefits for full time employees? The website doesn't specify. When do health benefits start, and are they paid by the company, or a percentage? Who is the provider (VA area)? Thanks for any information.

Yes, the website benefits.petsmart.com/ does tell you about full-time, and part-time benefits, what is required by newly hired associates, when benefits go into effect, open-seasons for benefit applications, etc. There is a plethora of information, you just won't be able to login to the HR portal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

beefsteak in No Where, California said: (continued from above post)

Learn to drive a fork lift and you can get a pay increase (five cents yay!) The Presentation and/or Pet Products Manager usually head this department.

And last but certainly not least MY department. Pet Care. This department is responsible for ALL of the animals in the store. Fish, birds, reptiles, small animals....you do it all. Daily tasks include feeding all of the animals, cleaning cages, medicating sick animals, scrubbing tanks, selling animals and answering any and all question customers may have about them. This department can be a real eye opener for a lot of new employees expecting to come into the department and cuddle with animals all day. The realities of life and death are harsh and are played out at PetSmart on a daily basis. Expect to deal with many MANY sick animals and see many, MANY deaths. It really can be quite depressing. While PetSmart may not be the worst pet store in the world, there is need for GREAT improvement in how they breed and transport their animals.
Oh and think you know a lot about animals? Think again. Your knowledge will be put to the ultimate test in this department and if you happen to be one of the few who truly do care and seek out knowledge and actually DO know what you are talking about, you'll be greatly UNDER APPRECIATED both by the customers and your fellow employees.

Bottom line, if you're a true animal lover, I'd stay away unless you think you can really handle seeing them die on a daily basis and at times go without treatment. If you're just looking for a part-time job to make some quick chump change, this place is for you.

Your post is so misconstrued and warped. Most comments such as this come from individuals who have a personal grudge against their particular store. True, you won't get rich from working here, it's a start, which means experience in the pet retail trade, a plus for those just entering the workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

doglady in Michigan said: Usually, I think, it is because they are trying to "entice" the new people, and cut the hours out of the ones they are trying to get rid of. If they find you valuable employee, you get more hours. If you keep getting your hours cut, they hope you will quit. If you quit, you can't collect unemployment. Pretty simple business politics, really.

See, negative comments like this mean nothing. These are made by people who have no clue about how business works. They are usually posted by individuals who hold grudges against their specific store for whatever reason. Hours get cut because of restructuring, budgetary issues, or home office says so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bo213 in Lilburn, Georgia

3 months ago

pbmax in Nicholasville, Kentucky said: Hi,

-p

It is an impossible task to speak with ANYONE at petsmart especially the dc. As far as I know they don't even answer the phones at this place.the only thing I could tell you would be to go to the business and knock on the door and you possibly could get someone that way but other than that idk. Let me know if you are able to speak with someone, I would love to know the secret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

idowhatiwant in Corpus Christi, Texas

2 months ago

beefsteak in No Where, California said: (continued from above post)

You are very wrong my friend. I work in the grooming salon and in the salon we only have people that applied for that position back there. We don't get any type of help or other people from other departments back there at all. And as far as the Pet Care department goes. Pet Smart does not breed or transport their animals. They buy them from a seller and that seller transports them and breeds them. And end rant. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.