Petsmart trainers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

sclarklmt in Acworth, Georgia

36 months ago

Seeing if anybody had any information about trainer positions at Petsmart, preferably in Atlanta area. Pay, responsibilities, benefits, etc. What training methods do they use? I have 5 years experience in dog training in a variety of methods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia

36 months ago

99.9% of pet trainers are part time. Pay varies by store even in the same area because stores are in diffent pay bands. Pay is set by the company based on area & experience but trainers also make commission so that increases the take home. Usually their are atleast 2 pet trainers/store. Typically the trainers are also required to work in other areas of the store ie. Pet Care / Cashier / Bathing / Stocking. Depending on the store and number of pet trainers usually 15 - 30 hrs. per week. PetSmart has set methods and class requirements. 100% positive reinforcement training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I'm applying with a store in the perimeter, what was the pay range at Marietta? The location is close enough to be comparable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Also what is the commission? I'm really looking for rough numbers here, trying to gauge income possibilities.

RLizG in Marietta, Georgia

36 months ago

sclarklmt in Acworth, Georgia said: Also what is the commission? I'm really looking for rough numbers here, trying to gauge income possibilities.

You should go through the interview process and get the numbers. A lot factors into them. Let me say this about PetSmart. If you are working for the money and not because you have a passion for pets and training, it is probably not the right fit for you. The pay isn't bad, but they have high expectations for employees and trainers especially. Also, most trainers don't make as much as possible at first because you are not seeing roll-over sales, private classes, and referrals...but in time those things do come. Working with pets can be frustrating. The Pet Trainers often have frustrating schedules due to class times. You work when other people are off, because that is when most people have time for class. You will work 3 hour shifts some days and usually super long weekend shifts. Their is a training sales plan that you are expected to exceed. Pet Training saves the life of the pet many times by keeping it out of the shelter....so it is serious business to those of us who work for Petsmart because we love pets and want to make a difference in their lives. Being a pet trainer at PetSmart is a lot of work, and the successful ones all truly love their jobs and have committed to them 110%. The money is just icing on the cake...and strangely enough those who are not after the money usually make plenty. Your Pet Parents can tell if you are genuine. The ones who worry about money going in, rarely last in my experience. The North Georgia district has an outstanding DM, but he has increadibly high expectations and a true passion for pets. He expects a lot from the trainers. The upside...those who train because they love training, love PetSmart. You would work under an increadible DM, and undoubtedly an amazing store director in North Georgia.

Becca in Marietta, Georgia

32 months ago

Did u get a training job? I would say I disagree on a few points with RLizG...the pay isn't complex...it's hourly plus commission. During your two week training period, you are a level one trainer, 15% commission per class. Once you become accredited, you move to level two, which is 20%. You stay at level two for a MINIMUM of six months...you have to get DM approval (NOT an easy task in the N Atlanta district...), and THEN you move to 25%. IF you are somehow able to become promoted to area trainer, that is 30% commission and typically full time. There are only two in the N Ga district, but 5 in Atlanta. You said that you have five years training experience, so as long as you are good with positive reinforcement, and following a structured curriculum, you're good :) Because of your commissions, you can actually make good money...the key is to focus on each individual opportunity for a sale. They will work you hard from my experience!!! ;) But then again, I love it and I'm still there!

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

31 months ago

I did not mean that the commission is complex. The hourly pay is based on pay bands which make it complicated to say what hourly(base) pay will be for one store or another. It is based on a lot of economic factors for the area, etc...and honestly I don't know how much of the pay structure the company really wants out on the internet so I was trying to tell this person to just go interview....but training isn' something that should be sugarcoated either. Trainers and Groomers need to LOVE what they do!

Also, you would have to be pretty darn awesome to become an area trainer in 6 months. North Georgia has amazing trainers in most if not all of its stores.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.