Pet Trainer at Petsmart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

juflier10 in Maryland

70 months ago

well...it all depends on the training classes you will be teaching. our trainer comes in pretty much everyday (of course she gets days off, just like everyone else) about 2-3 hours before a class or so. she will walk around and try selling classes, or even help stock when she sees we need it. she's a great trainer, and unfortunately leaving in august, so 2 of our pet care associates will becoming part time pet trainers, they are going to get trained soon at another petsmart for a few weeks. it seems pretty chill, train classes, sell them, and sell them. she pretty much has her own schedule which is cool. good luck with your new career at PetSmart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dreamer27 in somewhere

70 months ago

All PetSmart will care about is selling and making them money. Don't know how much experience you have with training dogs, but I know it is not enough training that they give you. I know, because I was the Area Trainer and trained the trainers. You will be doing work out of a work book, reading, taking a test. You will be observing the area trainer, then help her in classes. Then you will be doing some of her classes to get you ready to do your own classes. So that is only 2 weeks. You will be working out of a curiculum book, and you will be expected to do it week by week. If there is a method that you want to do in class, you are not allowed, period! I have alot of training behind me and I keep updated on all of the current training methods. PetSmart is way too frustrating for me, so I left (fired) for letting someone use my 30% off coupon But I am so glad I am not longer there. The curiculum came from some outstanding trainers, BUT when they got it done, PetSmart took most of it OUT. I have my own in-home training business and its wonderful. I can actually teach my cliets more effectively. Some of my own students at the store is so pissed, they found me in the phone book, they no longer will shop in the store and have hired me to come to their house.

You will expected to work weekennds. The current instructor in my last store is working Sat and Sun, 6 days a week, and the store manager is not hiring anyone else for her. So she doesn't really have a life outside the store, so she is frustrated. Anytime we had an instructor leave, I was there to pick up all of her classes and work 6-7 days a week, so that they wouldn't get the refunds.

You are threatened to get written up if you do not make your quota for the week. The managers get in trouble for not making it, and it travels down to you. I lost out on alot of family vacations, you are expected to be there on holidays. No vacations in November, Dec. I was their trainer for almost 11 yrs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

pkdetroit in Detroit, Michigan

63 months ago

I too was an area trainer. Some, very few actually, of my "students" came with dog experience. Several did not even have a dog, nor did they ever have a dog. I find this to be an insane policy. What the company is counting on is no prospective clients asking questions about a particular trainers experience and/or qualifications. I do not believe it is enough to merely "love dogs and be a people person" as I was once told by a district services manager. Personally I would not take any kind of such instruction from such a novice, let alone PAY for it!
The training program for new instructors is way too short. A few hours of book learning then two weeks of practical training is just not enough for anyone to call themselves a "dog trainer"...it takes years! And this of course depends on just how experienced your area trainer is, some are good,some are in their position because they are able to "sell" classes. In my mind being a good salesperson does not automatically make you a qualified trainer, but it seems to be that case for PS. In the district where I worked there were 3 area trainers. I heard through a colleague that one of taught her new instructors a lot about selling selling selling but practically nothing about dog training.
All associates are expected to sell PT classes, not just the trainers. If "plan" for the week is not met, the trainers are held accountable and have to give reasons why they did not try hard enough. I don't know how many times I explained to managers at all levels that I was more interested in selling classes than anyone else in my store since I was on commission and if they thought I was not trying hard enough that MADE NO SENSE. But of course a scapegoat is always needed so the trainers, especially full time/senior/area trainers are the ones who will be asked to take the fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in Texas

63 months ago

Its true that you will recieve very little training regarding the dogs. Its about proceedures and selling classes. Petsmart will not give you any continueing education. Unless it is regarding selling.

What I know is what I trained myself through reading every book and watching every video I can find.

My store limits my hours to pretty much the classes I have. I have very little time to sell classes.

I never get breaks and have worked through lunch many times. As soon as class is over I have people waiting to talk to me. Even about where to find product in the store since we never have enough employees on the floor.

Manager wanted classes back to back to keep my hours low and only 4 hour shifts to keep from haveing to give me breaks. This is impossible because people want to ask questions after class. Always.

I only stay because I love the dogs and for the most part the people in my classes.

Oh and don't think you will get class supplies easily either. It is like an act of congress to get clickers, homework handouts, binders and such.

I have even been scrutinized for training treats and having products to demonstrate with in the training area.

I started this job hoping to make a difference in the lives of dogs and feel that has happened to some extent, but I am not happy there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pkdetroit in Detroit, Michigan

63 months ago

<<My store limits my hours to pretty much the classes I have. I have very little time to sell classes.>>

But they of course expect you to make plan even though you are given limited time to talk with prospective clients.

<<Manager wanted classes back to back to keep my hours low and only 4 hour shifts to keep from having to give me breaks. This is impossible because people want to ask questions after class. Always.>>

I scheduled my classes like this on purpose...the break between was supposed to give me time to do stuff, but as you said there are always questions, so I never got that break. Having a new class coming in forced my clients to ask question during class.

<<I only stay because I love the dogs and for the most part the people in my classes.>>

I stayed longer than I should have for the same reason.

<<Oh and don't think you will get class supplies easily either. It is like an act of congress to get clickers, homework handouts, binders and such.
I have even been scrutinized for training treats and having products to demonstrate with in the training area.>>

The budget for pet training supplies is calculated by how many classes you have "sold" the previous week not by how many dogs you have enrolled in classes that need the materials you are REQUIRED TO HAND OUT. This makes absolutely no sense.

<<I started this job hoping to make a difference in the lives of dogs and feel that has happened to some extent, but I am not happy there >>

I probably would have stayed with the company longer if a transfer to another store had been approved by my then store director...who vindictively blackballed me after I left even though I had given her TWO months notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I had no idea supplies were calculated. No wonder. I beg for them and am told they were not sent. Sometimes I am told they were cut from the budget.

They even sell my clickers sometimes. I have to copy the homework handouts and we are always out of paper or toner. Sometimes we are out toner for a week.

I have made caledar copies on my home copier because the store is out for so long.

Is it my manager or corporate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

63 months ago

ATTENTION ANOZ in Murfreesboro......
Wow......I felt such a sinking feeling when I read all of this. I can't say that I don't agree with alot of the complaints; or that I haven't made the same ones myself. But it is what you make of it! Two days before I left for my two weeks of training with the area trainer my store manager actually asked me if I had a dog....oh my lord. If I hadn't originally thought that I was hired due to my 12 years of successful, strictly commissioned sales experience, I absolutely knew it then. I realize your post was 7 months ago, and I would be curious to see how you are faring. I do this job because I LOVE it. It is true you do not receive enough training, and that they expect too much from you for the hours you are aloted to teach your classes well, give the best customer service you can, and SELL. My area trainer, in my opinion, is absolutely AWESOME. And according to my calculations, she is making about $50,000.00 a year. I keep in contact with her; on average we talk about once a week. I didn't care alot about making my "quota" for selling training classes when I was in my two weeks. I was glued to her, hanging on her every word, learning as much as I could. The guy I went thru the two weeks of training with was more concerned with out selling me and proving that he knew more about training dogs than I did.....which he did. He was fired within one month. I studied my a@# off outside of class, and continue to do so. This month my dog will be taking the CGC. I give my "students" my home phone number. I have been doing this for only five months, but I already have had more dogs enrolled in my classes than any other trainer in the last two years. I do this because I love it. People LOVE watching my Sheltie do everything I have taught her. I am making 1/4 of what I could be, and of jobs I have turned down. But I love going to work everyday. I will never complain about this job. IT IS A JOB YOU DO BECAUSE YOU LOVE IT, not for the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Doglady I do it only because I love the dogs. But the strain of being the only trainer is taking its toll on me. The strain of not getting supplies is taking a toll on me. The strain of people comming with out a leash and collar to every class is taking a toll on me. The people comming to class 30 to 40 minutes late is taking a toll on me. I need a vacation. I get bad vibes from my manager about it.

Are you saying you never have these problems with students? I think the problem is I care too much.

This past week end I met a nice couple that had taken Petsmart training in an other city and said in all three levels of training, they witnessed the same problems with the other students that I list above. It takes time out of the class that should be spent teaching the ciriculum and not haveing to repeat the same things to the late arrivals and or the people who have not shown up the previous week.

I know that is not petsmarts fault except that I can not really say anything for fear of customer asking for a refund.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

61 months ago

thedogtrainerlady in texas......I hear ya! I hope I did not give you the wrong impression. I do have the same problems....and I have the fear of returns as well. Please note that I am typing, so you can not hear the tone of my voice. I would love to connect with other trainers; trust me, I know it is a thankless job when it comes to other associates. No one understands what we do.....especially not the managers! They are "in charge" of us, yet if we walked out they would be lost. Our's is one position they could not cover if they had to. When the DM fired one of our trainers, with no notice, I was the one that looked through the unorganized files and tried to save his clients; I missed two and they were returned. That should have been something the managers caught prior to them showing up for class with no trainer on duty, instead of them turning the enrollment sheets over to me and asking me to try to save it after the fact. I use to run my classes with a half hour in between. Now they have rolled out this schedule that reqires us to run them back to back. I have fought it tooth and nail, but finally gave up. Now I have students getting there 10 minutes before their class, walking in disrupting the last 10 mminutes of a previous class, thinking it is already starting. It is very frustrating.
As far as students showing up without collar or leash......I have come to leave a table out with spares that I require them to put on their dogs upon entering the training center. If they arrive late, too bad. They will get the homework at the end and they just have to go with what is going on at the time. If they want to find out what they missed, they can sign a clip board on the table and I will call them at my earliest convenience to talk about it. I usually just inform them of another class they can attend.
As far as supplies go......what is it you need? I make alot of my own.....but I don't know if that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

61 months ago

Another thing I do is keep a clipboard in my cabinet in the training center. It is always addressed to the store manager with the week ending date on it. If I need supplies, have a schedule request, have to write off something for store use, anything like that, I grab that clipboard and write it down. At the end of the week, I sign it and turn it in with my commission report. I always sign it, "thanks for your support!" Maybe my managers are more supportive than yours, but this has worked really well and has served as our "weekly communication log." I also schedule all classes with one week off between the end and start of another class at the same time, and have a call sheet with current enrollment student names and phone #'s; so if I happen to get sick I can call and leave messages for all students that class will be cancelled that day and it won't screw up the callendar. This has only happened twice, and my manager was so thankful that I had contacted all of my students prior to calling in to him, he told me that the next time I didn't even have to bother calling him (which I would still do, just in case someone showed up)
It is ALOT of work, and I do hope maybe some of this will help. Our store has been at the bottom of the pack for three years; since I took over we are one of only three stores in our region that is making plan for the year. It is a great feeling! But I know how tough it is. I would love to communicate with you!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

toomanydogs in Washington

61 months ago

[QUOTE
Wow! I feel like someone did a documentary on my time at PS. I was there 5 yrs. I was hired to re-build the client base after a "hang'em high and make them cry" old school trainer did reputaion damage.I did what they hired me for and loved my job. Sales went up. 17th to 3rd in district.Politics were awful. I dealt with the lies from mangement and above. Was hired for full time, DM took it away due to a "paper" not being filed properly when hired. I met all the req. the DM made to get the Area trainer post,given a time line to start then was told he left and the new gm didn't know about it.Pressured for sales, lack of tools, threats, no selling hrs. I could deal with that stuff. It was the "other trainer"that did me in. She was so bad I trained her another 2 weeks after training because the area trainer told the manager that was the only way she would approve it. We were hired at the same time! I was accused of stealing clients,loading the calender with puppy/beginner classes for myself, switching dates on her so she missed classes and a host of other weird and unfounded accusations. My class lists started disappearing and reappearing elswhere. The break room, the office on a shelf. ON MY DAYS OFF. When I addressed the issues with mngmt I was told I needed to support her. They made me give my classes to her. She twisted things and was so rude one moment, very sweet the next.I went to the DM, he said to solve it myself.She moved from cashiering,salon and pet care for difficulties with people. She's done 1 advanced class and 4 intermediate classes in 5 yrs. No joke. I went through accountabilty of sales prior to leaving. Managers sold 3 of my classes a month as opposed to 3 a WEEK for her. I was told it was because I was a better sales person and they didn't have to worry about me filling classes. I finally left when I realized it wouldn't change. She's their lead trainer. Clients are leaving in droves and I have grounds for a hostile environ.suit. No one wins

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J Smith2010 in Oregon

53 months ago

toomanydogs in Washington said: [QUOTE
Wow! I feel like someone did a documentary on my time at PS. I was there 5 yrs. I was hired to re-build the client base after a "hang'em high and make them cry" old school trainer did reputaion damage.I did what they hired me for and loved my job. Sales went up. 17th to 3rd in district.Politics were awful. I dealt with the lies from mangement and above. Was hired for full time, DM took it away due to a "paper" not being filed properly when hired. I met all the req. the DM made to get the Area trainer post,given a time line to start then was told he left and the new gm didn't know about it.Pressured for sales, lack of tools, threats, no selling hrs. I could deal with that stuff. It was the "other trainer"that did me in. She was so bad I trained her another 2 weeks after training because the area trainer told the manager that was the only way she would approve it. We were hired at the same time! I was accused of stealing clients,loading the calender with puppy/beginner classes for myself, switching dates on her so she missed classes and a host of other weird and unfounded accusations. My class lists started disappearing and reappearing elswhere. The break room, the office on a shelf. ON MY DAYS OFF. When I addressed the issues with mngmt I was told I needed to support her. They made me give my classes to her. She twisted things and was so rude one moment, very sweet the next.I went to the DM, he said to solve it myself.She moved from cashiering,salon and pet care for difficulties with people. She's done 1 advanced class and 4 intermediate classes in 5 yrs. No joke. I went through accountabilty of sales prior to leaving. Managers sold 3 of my classes a month as opposed to 3 a WEEK for her. I was told it was because I was a better sales person and they didn't have to worry about me filling classes. I finally left when I realized it wouldn't change. She's their lead trainer. Clients are leaving in droves and I have grounds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

J Smith2010 in Oregon

53 months ago

J Smith2010 in Oregon said:

Ok the last one didn't work well...
I was also an area trainer for PS for over 5 yrs. I came to the job with over 10 yrs of experience. I know one thing for sure, PS DOESN'T care about the dogs, the "pet parent" or "total life time care" all they care about is that weekly goal. The manager was (is) horrible to her employees and to most clients. The person they replaced my position with has never trained anything past her dogs at home and NOW in a few months she can train others??? There is little training to begin with and no continueing training. These people are even spraying bitter apple in the dogs mouth because they bark!!! They tell their clients this. Even after they have been told by the vet that its dangerous!!! PS and their training program is a joke!!! They have some very talented trainer that really know what they are talking about but they treat them so badly they don't last. To all of you...Do as I did...get out and then take the business away from them. Its the only way to "SAVE LIFES!!!!!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

big shop in New York, New York

53 months ago

I am fond of the small pets very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

niecy sweet in Appleton, Wisconsin

52 months ago

Anoz in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I've just been interviewed for a position as a pet trainer, and I'm sure I have the job. I am very interested in doing the job well, and I would like to know what the job and job training are like, what are common complaints about Petsmart's pet training programs, what are the usual hours and anything else you believe would prove helpful. I asked some of these things at the interview, but didn't through answers. Maybe there are none, but I'd appreciate it if you gave it a try ^_^[/QUO
Petsmart really doesnt care, I agree with the answer from J Smith, they only care about numbers, to get our goal done. Our manager doesnt talk with anyone in the classes. I try to make them feel they are doing the right thing, but one manager out of 6 isnt going to cut it. Our new manager has gotten at least 3 Cro's on her and they still havent done anything to her. I am leaving there in March as my future husband wants me closer to him, and there is no petsmart where he is at. I believe the ones of us that care about the animals need to hold our ground just to ensure that the animals are well taken care of. and to keep the stupid managers out of there way. I also agree with J about taking the training else where, as that is what a 10+ year pet trainer in our store is going to be doing and as soon as her new shop is set up , I am going to be pushing people her way. she has a degree in animal behaviour with focus on dogs and horses. and yet as she works in petsmart she isn't allowed to let her students know this as and i quote. "that is not what we teach", i was like we dont teach good BEHAVIOUR? then what are we teaching? lol oh well.

veggievamp24 in Glen Burnie, Maryland

51 months ago

I am currently a trainer at PetSmart and am in the running to be an Area Trainer. I agree and disagree with a lot of what's been said. I agree that they don't give you enough training. But if you really care about the dogs and your career as a dog trainer, then you will train yourself. Most dog trainers out there are self trained anyway. I have read so many different books on training, and have learn so much through my own research. I disagree that PS only cares about making plan. Yes, they are a business, and yes, they are out to make money. That is why everyone works, to make money. But, at least at my store, we care about the dogs we train. My managers come into my classes, talk with the pet parents, and try and help them in anyway possible. Yes, they care a great deal about making plan every week, but so do I. The more classes I sell them more money I make. But also, the more dogs I help. I feel sorry for all the people who posted here that had bad experiences as PS trainers. I guess it has to do with where you work. I love my store and my managers. They all (except maybe one) care a great deal about dogs and want to help them. By making plan each week, we are helping that many more dogs. When I miss plan, my managers don't flip out on me, I have never been threaten to be written up because it's not just my responsibility to sell classes. The managers and associates are all supposed to sell too. So, when we miss plan, yeah we're upset, but we just try harder the next week. The only time I have ever heard anyone get on our case was when we missed plan several weeks in a row, because I was the only trainer in the store. And even then, I wasn't in trouble. I just had to send a plan to my DM on what I was going to do to change it. I love working at PS and I love training dogs. Again, I'm sorry if everyone else on here has had bad experiences, but please don't take it out on PS as a whole, not every store is like that and it's not fair to plan PS for a few bad stores

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in calgary

51 months ago

Looking back, I think that two weeks preparation training is not enough. Trainers are ill prepared to deal with behavior problems unless they have experience and education. Groomers are given one month training. Why only two weeks for Pet Trainers?

Trainers have to deal with the dogs and the people. I think that this is why PS training has such a bad rep because new trainers are not given enough training. Not that they don't care or want to do a good job, they do. It is just that they should have more hands on before being thrown to the wolves.

Sure you can train a nice dog or puppy to sit and down and such, but what about the adult dogs that lunge and bark and snap.

I know what you are going to say "Sell them a private class".

Fat chance in our area. We pretty much have to take what we can get. I was in a hard sell area. Most dogs are kept on chains in the back yard.

The training area is inadequate. We have no desk or writing area. If we have a large demo dog then we have a large crate that could be used as a desk but I have a small dog and small crate. I was supposed to have an instructors book, a current class log book with current classes and a book for pending class enrollment. Where was I supposed to keep these books during class time?

The kindergarten stools are a joke. I routinely had older heavy or disabled students and had to be hauling folding chairs from the break room.

There are no dividers to separate distracted or ill behaved dogs. It was a constant battle. If you do continuing education, you will find that most training facilities have good chairs, tie downs, dividers, a desk, toys, equipment and such.

So I say why is it up to the trainer to seek and pay continuing education? PS should routinely provide this for the trainers.

I cared enough to learn on my own and am now a CPDT-KA trainer. It was because of my love for training and my love of dogs that I achieved this goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

PetSmartDoesDiscriminate in Arizona

44 months ago

Why would any of you continue to work for Petsmart at all? Especially anyone being a CPDT-KA.
Good lord, I can see using petsmart to get the hours needed to take the exam and all, but after getting the certification, get the heck out of there and get a REAL job. There are plenty of places, Much, much, more reputable and moral, and ethical than PetDumb.
Surely if you are a CPDT, you know how the "Professionals" speak of petsmart? What kind of a hypocritical corporation preaches of teaching "positive" reinforcement, then has trainers praising "The Dog Whisperer" and Cesar Millan and all of his crap?
The "Other" trainer I worked with boasted of having met the little turd on a few occasions, and has an 8"x10" framed color photo of himself and that idiot standing together.
He is so dang proud of this. And when I have pointed out, and/or sent links to videos/articles showing clear evidence of this idiot, having absolutely NO behavior education at all, and not even having graduated from high school, using very harmful, painful,often even torture techniques,and in one case, nearly killing one dog, on video, and veterinarians speaking on all the research which has proved these methods DO cause more behavior problems to occur rather than reduce them, he has gotten angry, and withdrawn,eventually ending up stabbing me right in the middle of the back.
This guy is a joke. The whole store is a joke. The company is a joke.
Oh, and the entire 'shock collar' thing? What the heck is that all about?
Why even bother having dog training classes? Just open up the glass doors wide, and let them grab. They don't care who they sell those things to and they don't even know anything about how or why they DON'T work, or the dangerous effects they can have and potential for abuse.
In the area I am from,I know there are tons of rednecks, trying to catch the dog,early friday morning,to get ready for a fun filled Saturday night on the porch with beer and buddies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in calgary

44 months ago

No longer at Petsmart. I'm doing quite well on my own. I don't regret my time there as I made wonderful friends and contacts. It gave me tremendous appreciation for people that work retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

dogglover

19 months ago

I just hav a question. I am considering leavin PS, but I don't want to have to give back the commisions. Should I wait untill the class is compltely over. Or would it matter if I left now. I edon't have a job lined up at the moment. But I fear I can't take one more day at PS. I moved from florida to sc and had. Transfer put in. The managers don't want you to talk to people for more than 3 minutes. Which is crazy because you can't just walk up to a person and say. Would you like to sign up for classes. Which is what they expect you to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

19 months ago

You do need to put in 2 months notice as a trainer or you will owe te commissions back as you did not earn them if you did not teach the classes. You sign something to this effect when you go to accreditation and weekly on your commissions worksheet. Have u considered transferring

doggtraining in Romulus, Michigan

16 months ago

PetSmartDoesDiscriminate in Arizona said: Why would any of you continue to work for Petsmart at all? Especially anyone being a CPDT-KA.
Good lord, I can see using petsmart to get the hours needed to take the exam and all, but after getting the certification, get the heck out of there and get a REAL job. There are plenty of places, Much, much, more reputable and moral, and ethical than PetDumb.
Surely if you are a CPDT, you know how the "Professionals" speak of petsmart? What kind of a hypocritical corporation preaches of teaching "positive" reinforcement, then has trainers praising "The Dog Whisperer" and Cesar Millan and all of his crap?
-we have amazing trainers at our store. We have customers come in with thinking Cesar millan is good and with their dogs wearing prong collars. Our trainers convince them that anything that chokes a dog is bad and Cesar millan is wrong and mean/horrible. We have some of the best trainers in our district and we even have a trainer who does therapy dog certification. We try our hardest to convince people not to get shock collars or anything and do class instead. I love our trainers and people come in just to have them train their dogs. Almost everyone does roll-over classes too. We are even in one of the poorer areas too and still manage to sell lots of classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TrnFido in Orangevale, California

10 months ago

Hello everyone, I read through most of the comments submitted and appreciate your honest thoughts on the Trainer job at PetSmart. It's interesting for me as I have been in the training field for 30+ years and am considering working as a trainer for PS, maybe becoming an area trainer, and climbing the corporate ladder. As a young trainer starting out I was fortunate to have been hired by big time training companies such as Guide Dogs for the Blind, Canine Companions for Independence, and others. I also ran my own training company for 28 years. Due to some personal issues I've had to work though, I closed shop a couple years ago, now it's time to get back to the important issue of helping people to have a positive life long relationship with their companion dogs. Regardless of the negative aspects of working for a corporate entity, you should have appreciation for the opportunity. As a young an upcoming trainer I too found myself being critical of "other" training programs and especially the large corporate infiltration of the training industry. This is America however, a profit driven society, and everyone is entitled to a piece of the pie, superstores included.In my humble opinion, I would suggest for any training associate departing the PS world to be grateful to the extent that you had the opportunity and take away the good (there must have been some),that you can apply to any future endeavor you may seek. Keep in mind there is room for improvement in every program, so do your best, the pups are counting on it. Good luck and best wishes to you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

peggydiana in Weatherford, Texas

7 months ago

Hi, love your positive attitude that reminds us all to make lemonade when given lemons. I would like to know the rest of the story with you; in other words, please update us on how you are doing with your classes and additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Sorry, my post is directed at the doglady in Michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Montréal, Quebec

7 months ago

While I agree with lots of stuff here to an extent, some is wrong from my perspective. I am not allowed to have any equipment or spare leashes in the training area as it is against P&P. This includes cones etc. for advanced classes.

Despite having destroyed the annual target in the first few months, it is a nightmare to get treats for training. The liver treats other stores use work very well but get told I can't use them as they are not the approved treat. Instead I am forced to use a cheap treat that half the dogs won't take and nearly all the ones that will, spit it out again. I am sharing one hat between 5 - 8 dogs graduating. This really makes the store look pathetic in my opinion.

As soon as I walk in I am used as a cashier to save the store on hours and then get left with 1 hour to have lunch, set up the training ring plus sell classes. Never used to take lunch till I realized that I was being docked a half hours pay every day regardless so the store wouldn't get in trouble!!!

As for P&P's, the store cares only about the ones that suit them. I have classes running most days till the store closes. So in the half hour left (Been told I MUST sign out on time due to hours not being available) I have to collect the carts, empty the oops station, face the WHOLE dog section including beds, food, treats, leashes etc. and tidy the training ring up.

No matter how many times I point out that I am supposed to sanitize the training ring floor for Health and Safety reasons, they don't care. Priority is the noticeable stuff in case a DM walks in and I am not allowed to stay even 10 minutes over to do it!!!

I will be leaving in a month and am so gutted it went this way. What started as a job I love and still do has really been soured.

doggtraining

7 months ago

I'm sorry your store is like that :( I'm lucky to have great managers who allow me to have cones and other things in my room and I'm sorry you get stuck closing cashier and training!

Fred in Montréal, Quebec

7 months ago

The managers are good but tied by company policies and told how many hours they can allocate. /guess it depends how strictly managers follow P&P's though. Some of them are crazy and detrimental to good service.

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

7 months ago

Cones are considered agility equipment and are not supposed to be kept in the ring. PetSmart is trying to provide consistent training from location to location and agility isnt part of the cirriculum. Most trainers do have to do some work I other departments. You earn 1.something hours for each class sold a week, as well as 1.25 hrs for each class running with 5 dogs enrolled. If you are not selling enough or running small classes you will struggle to have time to get everything done. Most average size stores earn 15-20 training hours a week if they are filling classes and making sales plan. My store has 2 trainers. If all they did was work in training hours they would only get 7.5 to 10 hours each a week. One of my trainers can sell classes well from the register, so she prefers to be there while not training whereas the other prefers to be able to float the floor from petcare. Consider crosstraining. Also you might want to sit down and talk to your store manager in a non-complainy way.

Fred in Toronto, Ontario

7 months ago

I average around 8 - 10 classes sold per week. If I wasn't stuck on cash for 4 hours every day I would sell lots more. It leaves me 1 hour to take lunch, get the ring set up and sell classes. Then I am in classes all evening.

7 months ago

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY! said: Cones are considered agility equipment and are not supposed to be kept in the ring. PetSmart is trying to provide consistent training from location to location and agility isnt part of the cirriculum. Most trainers do have to do some work I other departments. You earn 1.something hours for each class sold a week, as well as 1.25 hrs for each class running with 5 dogs enrolled. If you are not selling enough or running small classes you will struggle to have time to get everything done. Most average size stores earn 15-20 training hours a week if they are filling classes and making sales plan. My store has 2 trainers. If all they did was work in training hours they would only get 7.5 to 10 hours each a week. One of my trainers can sell classes well from the register, so she prefers to be there while not training whereas the other prefers to be able to float the floor from petcare. Consider crosstraining. Also you might want to sit down and talk to your store manager in a non-complainy way.

Constructive comments. thanks. Can you share how the trainer on the cash register approaches the pet parent about classes, i.e., has the time to share the necessary info if there are people stacked up in line tapping their foot with impatience. I have not been able to come up with a plan that works though I know this is the answer....sell while on the register instead of complaining about it. Thanks for any input.

7 months ago

peggydiana in Weatherford, Texas said: Constructive comments. thanks. Can you share how the trainer on the cash register approaches the pet parent about classes, i.e., has the time to share the necessary info if there are people stacked up in line tapping their foot with impatience. I have not been able to come up with a plan that works though I know this is the answer....sell while on the register instead of complaining about it. Thanks for any input.

Also, does the cash register working trainer have a brief, basic approach she uses to start the conversation and get the sale closed quickly?

Fred in Montréal, Quebec

7 months ago

I haven't figured it out. When I raise it with the manager, I get told I have to either call for backup (which never comes as all management hate doing cash) or trust my colleagues to sell a class. In the year I have been there, nobody other than myself, or the manager on very rare occasions, even talks about training.

Every day I watch training sales walk out the door as I don't have time to leave cash. Whenever I do, or complain about the situation, I get a written warning for bad attitude and leaving cash unattended.

Management don't really care that I can not live off of my basic salary and need the commission to pay the mortgage.

All irrelevant now as I have a new job and will be leaving a job I really enjoyed till it was ruined by Managers following P&P when it suits them. Was going to give a months notice but now going to give 2 weeks as I have little reason left to give anything to them.

Betty D in NYC, New York

4 months ago

Pet trainers can actually do what they love as a freelance trainer... Depending on the level of commitment and your time flexibility, freelance trainer can be a fun thing to do:)

Betty D
NYC
petcareprovider.net

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.