Urgent request - anybody ever receive reference letters from Petsmart?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Connie in Kennebunkport, Maine

25 months ago

I'm in a situation where my employment performanace has been good to exceptional at Petsmart for over 4 years. It's now time to move on...but Petsmart is telling me they "never" give letters of reference to employees. They are saying that they will only tell future employers that I was there for 4 years.
Has anybody ever received a reference letter from their manager? I really need to know...I have a feeling I'm not hearing the whole story...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

25 months ago

This is true.... Most large companies only verify employment dates for liability reasons. While you may be great and they would like to shout it from the rooftops, someone who sucks might expect the same reference... It is a liability thing.

cleoboa in Garland, Texas

24 months ago

I have received a reference letter from one of my store managers. Yes, they can do this for you if they want to. I was told that only store managers could do this but I don’t think this is true either, I think anyone telling you that they ‘can’t’ do it, just doesn’t want to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

evan baxter in Auburn Hills, Michigan

24 months ago

The official company policy is that references are not given. Officially the company will only verify basics such as time worked, position held etc. RLizG is right that this is how most large companies do it now. cleoboa getting a reference from a Store Manager would be that Store Manager not following company policy. Officially they cannot do this if they want to. They can do it if they choose to not follow company policy.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.