Lead positions a "trial" and they're evaluating whether or not to keep them?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

NGab in Corning, New York

14 months ago

I have been a PetSmart employee for 2 1/2 years now -- about a year and a half of that being in pet care -- and for the past few or several months I have been trying to move into the pet care lead position. When I first brought this up there was a lot going on in pet care at the time and I was told that their main concern was to fill the pet care manager position (or the support manager position if the person currently at that position decided to take the pet care manager position) and then they would turn their attention to lead positions. A while later I brought the subject up again when there were no changes one way or another and I was told that the DM would be spoken to to see if they wanted to go ahead and fill the lead since nothing was gong on with the manager positions. Some time after I again asked to see what was going on and at that point was told that lead positions (and even area trainers, apparently) were a sort of trial run and they were deciding at the end of the fiscal year whether they were continuing them or now.

After a conversation with a co-worker today, however, I heard a few red flags apart from the ones that had already come up for me and I started to more seriously wonder about what I was being told. Has anyone else heard that lead positions were being re-evaluated?

It seems to me that they have been going for quite some time to be on a "trial basis" of sorts...especially as in the past 6 months the lead position at the registers and in receiving have both been filled at my store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

12 months ago

PetSmary runs a ton of tests in different markets. I would not be surprised if they were re-evaluating things

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Someone who works at PetSmart in I work at a PetSmart but I can't tell you where!, Alberta

12 months ago

I worked in PC for over a year and tried my hardest to get pc lead. Here's PS's dirty little secret; you're making them great money just staying where you are and jumping the hoops to try to get to a supervisor position.
Salon is the only place where you have a real chance to move up but good luck getting into there because you're so good at pc that they don't want to move you! I had to quit and come back many years later to get the p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Not true. PetSmart makes more money when they have great leadera in the right positions. Hindsight is sometimes 20-20. There were times when I thought that i was ready for the next position and probably wasn't. Lucky I had great managers who held me back and worked with me on my opportunities. This has helped me to avoid some of the pitfalls that people moved forward too quickly ran into. (And often allowed me to move more quickly into higher positions

Here are some suggestions. Id reccommend taking them and running with them if you want to move up
1. Learn to work in other areas of the store. Work hard and have a great attitude about it when you do. Also ask lota of questions so you do things right.. It is easy to be short-sited in petcare. Volunteer for some overnighys and early mornings.. the hustle when you are doing it. Be the first to the register when backup is needed . Ask to cross-train in bathing so you can help them out when need be. Save lives by learning more about and selling train I ng. Help the adoption groups. Use CARE with all associates and pwt parents

2. Talk to your manager about setting you up with an Individual development plan...and montly one on ones.

3. Own your own growth. Learn and live by the success factors (if you dont know them...ask a manager for a copy..infact ask for the hourly manager success factores worksheet if you want to be a leader.) Know and relate things back to the critical and practice the COACH model (you should ask about these too if you dont know them

4. Ask managersand peers (especially those you are uncofortable with!) For direct feedback about what you can do differently. Most impotiantly dont get defensice and be receptive when they give it.

5. Read leadership books. My favorites are Fish! And Whale Done!

Own.Lead.Inspire :D

12 months ago

Again disgusting spelling from me. I need spell check on this

12 months ago

Critical priorities. For some reason I forgot to type priorities.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.