Progressive Verbal/Math Pre-Employment Test

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

KEH in Minneapolis, Minnesota

85 months ago

Hello Everyone:

First let me say I have taken several pre-employment test and passed them all in previous years. Unfortunately the Prgressive Verbal/Math di not work for me about a month ago.

I took the test last Feb and did not pass the first part - Math and Verbal. I tried to hard to answer each one and did not pass any up. There are 50 in the section. I felt that I had passed, but no way - I was stunned.

I am going back in May to retest and hope to do bettter. Any suggestions on that part? Do you remember how many you answered? Did you skip questions and move to the next? I believe the 2nd part of the testing will be ok - just the Verbal/Math - guess I am losing my brain cells.

My thoughts were to skip the ones I do not feel are going to be answered correctly and not worry about how many I answer.

The recruiter mentioned that lots of people do not pass on the first try and to come back in 90 days - you should do better. I hope so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you - KEH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Adriene in Santa Ana, California

84 months ago

Hi KEH,
I feel your frustration!! I just took the Progressive test and didn't pass the verbal/math part either. I don't know how many questions I answered. I didn't skip any and just answered the next one in front of me. Maybe that was the problem?? It's so maddening...I have my bachelor's degree and can't pass some stupid test. Is it a ploy to make us feel stupid??
Any suggestions??
Adriene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

83 months ago

You guys are lucky. I've applied at Progressive and I can't even get called in so I can take this test.

What did you do to make them interested enough so you can go in for the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dick Shyster in Medina, Ohio

81 months ago

KEH in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hello Everyone:

First let me say I have taken several pre-employment test and passed them all in previous years. Unfortunately the Prgressive Verbal/Math di not work for me about a month ago.

I took the test last Feb and did not pass the first part - Math and Verbal. I tried to hard to answer each one and did not pass any up. There are 50 in the section. I felt that I had passed, but no way - I was stunned.

I am going back in May to retest and hope to do bettter. Any suggestions on that part? Do you remember how many you answered? Did you skip questions and move to the next? I believe the 2nd part of the testing will be ok - just the Verbal/Math - guess I am losing my brain cells.

My thoughts were to skip the ones I do not feel are going to be answered correctly and not worry about how many I answer.

The recruiter mentioned that lots of people do not pass on the first try and to come back in 90 days - you should do better. I hope so.

Thank you - KEH

Jake-- I took the test last week in Akron. Some tricks to taking this test include-- know how long you have to answer each question. Answer as fast as you can. Have a answer picked out --a,b, c, or d that you answer if you don't know for certian. That increases your odds--better than no answer. When you get to 2 minutes left just answer all the remaining questions c. Again this increases your odds-- a 25 percent is better than zero. Fifty in 12 minutes andyou may not have time to go back to unanswered questions.

The company knows no one will answer all correctly--they are looking for a percentage correct--you need to move the odds to your favor--if only a little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ozzie in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

I took the the Farmers math/verbal test and did not pass either. All Insurance co. must have the same tests. I unfortunately left about 6 questions unanswered, thinking they would not count against me. NOT! Then they said I have to wait a year to apply again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Orangeburg, South Carolina

81 months ago

I just took the test and passed out the first time...I asked the recruiter for help and what the trick was (since obviously nobody can answer 50 questions in 12 minutes)...she said to answer as many as you can, not taking too much time on any one question... "Basically, it's to see how well you handle being under Pressure"...I think I got to question 34 or so with the majority right...I took the time for the ones I knew how 2 do and totally guess on the ones I had no idea!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Geismar, Louisiana

80 months ago

I took both Progressives' tests the other day and passed them both. I got to question 41 out of 50 and scored a 29 (Passing is a 20). The lady told me that the average score is 17-22. Sad thing is I don't have a degree, you college boys read way too far into things. Just do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mo

80 months ago

I passed the verbal/math quiz no problem.

Check out the Wonderlic tests on ESPN web site and you will be set.

Some little math questions like what's the next number after; 8, 4, 2,

Do the easiest first then go back if you have time , try to get a good 21 in.

Also , cover up that grey haire , they don't seem to like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GLC in Hartford, Connecticut

80 months ago

KEH in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hello Everyone:

Thank you - KEH

I knew in advance just need like 20 correct to pass, took my time answering so I only got through like 30 or 34 questions but I did pass the first time. Hope this helps, Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Pompano Beach, Florida

80 months ago

I have applied on line many times for the Claims Adjuster Tranee position in the past months, however, my resume has been overlooked even though I have a college degree and at least a 2-20 license.

I am working on revamping my resume -- using more of the keys words for the job in my resume. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

The suggestions for getting to the next stage -- getting through the verbal and math pre-employment testing are excellent. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yraza11 in Tinley Park, Illinois

80 months ago

Hi I am going in for the assessment tests soon and I was wondering if I should wear a business suit or would it be better to just wear business casual clothing....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Iowa

79 months ago

I would recommend a suit. First impressions go a long way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jung kang- in Cedars, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Can anybody tell me for any tips for emotional quotient test (EQ)?
How can I make good mark and get qualifed?

Are there two interviews or three interviews
(includes phone-interview) for job process?

Also, what kinds of interview questions when I have phone-

interview?

How different questions from phone-interview and face-to-face

interview? Is it hard? How long it takes?

Please some detail tips not general or vague!

You can give me several examples of questions when you had.

Thank you, anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne A in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Today was my computer exams..

1. 50 qs in 12 minutes.. Qs were similar to a High school exam.. like what's the next number after; 6, 4, 2,1/2,1/4, ___.. everything is multiple choice.. finish as much as you can.. If you have time, go back.. There is a timer displayed on the screen to keep track of time..

2. If you pass the first one, the second exams consist of personality questions.. it's a rating from 1 to 5 and where you believe you fit. I passed by answering all questions that show that I'm independent, needs little to no supervision, good team player, etc...

After I passed both exams, the lady told me that they will call me via phone today or tomorrow for a phone interview.

Wear business casual attire.. For me, I only spoke with the admin. lady..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

endjor74 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I just took the tests yesterday with the progressive insurance recruiters for a summer internship. They came to my university and took an immediate interest in me, so they asked me to take the tests. I had classes that day, so I had to take the parts of the tests at different times. I can't really remember the tests, because they were all a blur. This is what I can remember.

The first test consists of 4 parts:
1 Numeric
The numeric part of the test is as described above. I think there were 50 questions in this part. Some of the later questions got pretty difficult, it had 2 or 3 patterns going on in alternating numbers (1 3 2 5 4 7 8 9 or 3 6 12 15 18 36).

Thats the only one I can really remember, the other three parts blurred. I can remember the names of two other sections, it was verbal and symbolism. The fourth might have been reading. The hardest questions that I remember were as follows:
You get 5 pieces of information
Beth owns a farm
All of the people that live on the farm are related to Beth
Allan works on the farm
Joe is a friend of Allan
Derek worked on a farm
Then you get another statement
Beth lives on the farm
Then decide which of the following answers best describes the statement in relation to the information given:
A) True B) False C) Uncertain

The Second part of the pre-employment test is a personality survey. Apparently progressive surveys its own employs and does comparison matching between current employees, their effectiveness in the company, and their scores on the test. Then they compare your answers to those statistics to see what value you hold to the company. My recruiter told me that they normally only lose people to the first part of the test and barely anyone gets knocked out on the second.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

endjor74 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

This is a continuation from my previous post.

Also, contrary to the comments stated above, I was told that the tests are more like the SATs. It is better to NOT answer questions you don't know because you actually lose points when you guess. I was told that it is better not to guess on my exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Gemini1999 in Citrus Heights, California

74 months ago

I just took the computer test the one time. The first test was kind of stressfull - having 50 questions to answer in a very limited amount of time. I was only able to answer 30 questions, but I guess that I scored high enough as I was asked to take the second test. The second test was more of a personality profile exam to find out what kind or type of person you are. I passed that test too. I was surprised that I passed, I usually don't do well on computerized tests - I get too nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Scottsdale, Arizona

69 months ago

I just want to say thank you to everyone, especially Mo, I took that practice test on ESPN and it really helped me pass I think. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Mentor, Ohio

45 months ago

Just took these tests last week. Passed them both.

The first test, they don't expect you to answer all 50 questions, just answer as many as you can.

They are fairly simple common sense problem solving questions. I got up to question 43, it wasn't until about question 40 that I started getting geometry type math questions. I would imagine that I got about 35 right.

From what I have heard, you need a 22 to pass.

My suggestions... Just relax, use common sense, and just skip questions that you don't know the answer to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tester in Round Rock, Texas

43 months ago

I just took the 50questions 12 min assessment in Austin for Inbound Sales/Cust Service and didn't fair so well. I agree that it is like a SAT or GMAT prep. My only problem was that I spent too much time on one questions looking at all the answers instead of just selecting the right answer and moving forward. I'm pretty sure the questions I answered were correct, however, I didn't finish many questions because of my approach.

My advice to others is to look at the question and select the answer as soon as you recognize it - don't worry about checking all the answers - it will slow you down.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

absolutelv in Cedar Creek, Texas

43 months ago

Agree with Jim in Mentor, took 2 days ago in Austin, math/logic/vocabulary, etc. Passed the test, if I thought the question was going to take more than 10 seconds (you have roughly 14 sec per question) then I guessed and went to next one. Finished about 38 questions and time ran out.

Tester in Round Rock, Texas said: I just took the 50questions 12 min assessment in Austin for Inbound Sales/Cust Service and didn't fair so well. I agree that it is like a SAT or GMAT prep. My only problem was that I spent too much time on one questions looking at all the answers instead of just selecting the right answer and moving forward. I'm pretty sure the questions I answered were correct, however, I didn't finish many questions because of my approach.

My advice to others is to look at the question and select the answer as soon as you recognize it - don't worry about checking all the answers - it will slow you down.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

absolutelv in Cedar Creek, Texas

43 months ago

endjor74 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: This is a continuation from my previous post.

Also, contrary to the comments stated above, I was told that the tests are more like the SATs. It is better to NOT answer questions you don't know because you actually lose points when you guess. I was told that it is better not to guess on my exam.

OH well, I guessed on several, and still passed so I'm not sure if you are penalized for wrong answers--don't think so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MaDmOnKy in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

I passed the 12 min assessment, it seemed common sense. There was a lot of questions like "is miner the oposite of minor" and for all of these i chose they were different words. There was a math question that stumped me and i didnt have time to think about it so i skipped it. Something like "if a clock loses 1 min 39 sec a month how much did it lose a day".

I failed the 90 question second part and was told by a nice fellow in the Tampa local named Dennis I wasnt what they were looking for and if I wanted to I could be retested in 90 days. There was nothing on that test that could rule me out. I have 12 years call center experience w/sales experience, ive handled escalations, been a team lead. Im thinking maybe they thought I was over qualified and next time I will choose "never had a job before" and see what happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaDmOnKy in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

Another math question was something like "if 3 eggs cost 10 cents how much does 1 1/2 dozen cost" I put 60 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

blackrosa04 in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

Keith in Geismar, Louisiana said: I took both Progressives' tests the other day and passed them both. I got to question 41 out of 50 and scored a 29 (Passing is a 20). The lady told me that the average score is 17-22. Sad thing is I don't have a degree, you college boys read way too far into things. Just do it.

I will try that. I took the test today and did not pass. Some of the questions are impossible to do without taking some time to work the problem out. I answered about 34 questions. I cannot believe I did not get at least 20 right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

paraparai in Jupiter, Florida

14 months ago

CJ in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I have applied on line many times for the Claims Adjuster Tranee position in the past months, however, my resume has been overlooked even though I have a college degree and at least a 2-20 license.

I am working on revamping my resume -- using more of the keys words for the job in my resume. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

The suggestions for getting to the next stage -- getting through the verbal and math pre-employment testing are excellent. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Look for what they are looking for at the job description, and add that up to your resume. If you worked before for a bank you will have what they need. Good luck

r2d2 33594 in Valrico, Florida

5 months ago

CJ in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I have applied on line many times for the Claims Adjuster Tranee position in the past months, however, my resume has been overlooked even though I have a college degree and at least a 2-20 license.

need help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

r2d2 33594 in Valrico, Florida

5 months ago

if you need help email me a pregowithzoe@gmail.com. been there 10 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hejuluz in Jersey City, New Jersey

2 months ago

The best piece of advice taking assessment test I ever received was to only answer "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree", never answer in between regardless of what you think and feel. Take it from me, I failed many assessment test even though I was qualified for the position, once I received this advice I never failed one again. I took the progressive assessment test before and failed, I now passed it this time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.