Public Storage News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Public Storage stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Vancouver, Washington

88 months ago

Unfortunately, PS is a farce. The management team really have their heads in the sand. The communication between corporate and the field is spotty at best. No one really knows what's going on. Just try and get an answer from anyone (like benefits/HR) and you'll see what I mean.

They treat their property managers like the dirt under their nails. The pay sucks and don't even ask about the benefits. A PM I know had to pay 5k out of their OWN POCKET for surgery. There is no promotional opportunities for PMs at all. As the Operations President himself said.."It's a dead end job",

The District Managers are expected to work 60-70 hours per week MINIMUM. Upper management frowns upon "family time" and considers it a nuisance. While the DM pay is pretty good to start, things quickly wear down and one gets sick of it. The DMs are constantly moaning about the workload.

IMO..stay away from PS

IMO..they reel you in with a good comp package as a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Amherst, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Public Storage stack up against the competition?

I used to work for Public Storage. The pay is substandard 10.00 an hr. Wouldn't be so bad but you have to run the whole place by yourself. Lot's of responsibility for the money. Also, the benifits are horrible for reg managers. The big wheels have the good insurance, you don't.Lot's of turnover.(even my boss is gone).. As far as them lasting, there a big outfit.Trouble with them is there CEO just made himself well over 1 million last year,and cut everyone else's benifits.. Rate one to ten to work for. 2....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted

83 months ago

They are ate up with greed, it will come back to haunt them eventually. Employee turnover is about 400%, they sell wrong units all the time, lie, cheat, steal. I know someone who is a vender for PS and they owe him at least 25,000 dollars, but you have to sign a master agreement agreeing not to sue them for anything at all in order to get on their vendor list. They treat their employees like total garbage and use them up then throw them away. Founder Bradley Wayne Hughes has a net worth of over 3.5 billion, and they are still cutting hrs and benefits and claim to be in the red. I know of one property in the DFW metroplex that generates 500,000 per month! That's half a million. They constantly lose vendors for non payment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tressa in California

75 months ago

This company is a joke. The news is all over a certain discount store for not treating it's employee's good. Well Public Storage is in the same boat. 8/hr. for a Property Manager. A discount plan for benefits. No ability to take vacation or sick days. This company treats everyone like crap. The biggest complaint is from Senior management foring The Property Managers to force Insurance and lock for each rental other wise the manager will be fired. (atleast that is what I am constantly being threatened with.) If I would have known that this company had no morals and expected the property managers do do illegal immoral acts and then not back them up I would never have set foot anywhere near this company.This company does not pay it's vendors ontime, but expects it's rent to be paid ontime otherwise tenants will face late fees, lien fees and the sale of their goods. Rent increases happen every 6 mos. to a year and nothing happens to improve the property. Those on top just keep getting richer and richer. Seems a little like a pyramid scheme.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

leenyak in Milford, New Hampshire

75 months ago

As a former Property Mgr, I totally agree with you. My D.M and everyone I worked with have all left the company. Since I have worked there all the bonuses for managers were taken away, and alot of the benefits. The CEO has given himself a 1 Million dollar bonus last year.. Your right, Public Storage never paid there bills. We even had our lights turned off!!!! Too bad- its' turned into a scanky outfit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Colorado Springs, Colorado

75 months ago

I used to work for PS in California. Their Call Centers in Arizona and California pay the highest in the industry, they have wonderful benefits and the employee recognition lunches are great. It is like being part of a big extended family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

tressa in California

75 months ago

I emailed my DM yesterday about the relief manager who works at the property I manage on my days off. He did a rental for cash and then turned around a reversed the payment and posted a check that belonged to another tenant and also purchased a house pack. Then he reversed it for cash so now my petty cash is low. My DM responded that I needed to talk to the relief manager and get the money issue settled. When did it become my responsibility to discipline the relief manager who works at my property?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

It isn't!! When I worked there as a manager, we couldn't hire or fire. That is the DMS job.. Sounds like your DM is trying to pass the buck. By ALL means, if you have to, go over his head. You could get the blame for this!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I worked as a Property Manager in NH for them. I worked by myself in a 800 unit facility.. The wage was 10.00 per hr. I did receive Bonuses,but I heard that is all changed now. Benefits??The insurance was horrible for Managers, and you couldn't afford it. Only the big wheels got the good insurance. If your happy working at there call center, good for you..Another thing-- watch your paycheck, they don't like to pay what they owe you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Corie in Metro Atlanta, Georgia

75 months ago

For those of you who worked for PS, how much did you actually make with bonus? There current job postings still 'tout' plus bonus potential - what the heck does that mean? I was about to apply but I'm glad I found these comments. At least I will know what I'm getting into. If the pay (with bonus) is decent enough I'll do it temporarily for the experience and because I need at least some income coming in until I find something better.

So, what is the 'bonus potential' - how much do you actually make with the bonus?
How often are the bonuses? (per pay period?)

How often do they pay? Weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly, etc?
Do they hold back your first week/pay period?
How is the hiring process?
How much do they pay for training and how long (I've seen 15 days and 30 days, which is it?)

Anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.
Is there another storage (or similar) company you would recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

When I worked at PS only the Managers got the Bonuses. It goes on how many units you sell.I did prety well. I have talked to a manager there now and they said all the Bonuses were changed so everyone gets them.. No- Way do you get very much..Training was for about one Month.You got paid every two weeks, however, watch your paycheck hrs... I had to travel over 50 miles for the interview.Hope this answers,some of your questionss. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tressa in California

75 months ago

The bonuses are a joke. They are based on the performance of the district. They are awardered bi-monthly on the second pay check of the month. It can range from 2/hr, 1/hr, .50/hr or 0/hr. depending on the number of hours you work. The bonus is based on delinquency, show-up, imcome/outgo of a property. There is a 25 dollar Christmas bonus. The properties are open every day except Christmas, Thanksging, and New Years Day. The Properties do not close early the day before a holiday. There is no holiday pay. It's just the normaly hourly rate. Mileage reimbursement is iffy. Sometimes the company reimburses for miles other times they send you 6o miles one way without reimbursement. That really can eat up a paycheck fast. Watch your pay check for the correct hours. A lot of DM's are being fired over changing the hours without approval of the employee. Don't count on being able to use time off. Even if it is requested a year in advance and you are told you have the time off a lot can change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

They must really have a lousy CEO now.. People are out of work and these clowns are getting away with anything they want.. Sickening isn't it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chris65 in Millersville, Maryland

73 months ago

Everything that has been posted about Public Storage is so right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cornfed Bloo in Vienna, Virginia

72 months ago

I have applied for a DM position. Do they offer company cars? What are the downsides to being a DM? Do they force you to keep a home office? Do they provide a cell and laptop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tressa in California

72 months ago

PS does not provide a company car. gas reimbursement is iffy.In California your are paid from your starting property and not your home. You will have to do a lot of driving. altleast in California my DM goes around to all 11 properties in his district. they are very spread out some as far as 40 miles apart. My DM now works Saturdays which is good becuase issues don't just happen m-f. yes to cell phone reimbursement. Medical coverage is just as bad as the PM coverage.(non existent). They provide you with a laptop. Most DM's have a home office so they can do payroll after hours. Payroll is done every night after the offices close. Good luck getting your reimbusements on time pay roll does not always pay you ontime. I have gone 3 weeks instead of 2 without a paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya NC in Clayton, North Carolina

72 months ago

I'd only been working for Public Storage for almost 6 months now. Before starting working for them, I had an interview with the DM, he told me the pay was $9.00 an hour, but I told him it said 9.50 an hour in careerbuilder , still have it in my account under careerbuilder that it says 9.50 and hour. I told him that and he said he will check into that for me. As far as I am concerned he lied to me. He emailed me and told me that the company was going to deduct the .50 cents out of my second check because they made a mistake and paid me 9.50 and hour and not 9:00 an hour. I don't care working for a company that do not pay, but the insurance has to be good. I found out that the insurance actually sucks out loud! What the hell is wrong with these people! They ask alot and not give anything! This company is a joke. If coporates benefits are alot better than ours then that should tell us something, just company picks and chooses who they think are better than us lower guys, the ones who are actually making the money for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sickandtired in Rhome, Texas

72 months ago

This company is eat completely up with greed! The founder Bradley Hughes is worth over 4.1 billion dollars and it's still just not quite enough. Everyone from the DM's up are corrupt, they will break it off in you the employees, the vendors, or the customer every chance they get, because there are financial incentives for them to do so. Upper management is not accountable for anything, they pass the blame, lie, cover up, intimidate, cheat, and steal at every possible opportunity. I personally know some damn good people that have tried to work for these pricks, and no matter how efficient they run things, no matter how honest they are, it is never good enough, even with 100% occupancy rate, 0 delinquant past due accounts, ultra clean and organized properties, low maintenance expenses, they are constantly dumped on. They are notorious for not paying their vendors and for shorting their employees checks. This company is an embarrassment to corporate America and the United States! They need to be investigated by the FBI! I could go on and on, there is no end to their madness yet they continue to grow and make billions of dollars, much of it by just not paying people and passing the blame when questioned about it. If you rent from them and your stuff gets stolen or damaged, you might as well grab your ankles because their insurance will bend you over and, well you know......... The property managers cannot legally sell you insurance in Tx and probably many other states, because they are not licensed insurance agents, (please check into this) this is one way they can get out of paying a claim. Pretty slick huh? One friend of mine used to be a vendor for them until he kept not getting paid for work he did, one day a PM discovered that a DM had been deleting his invoices in their computer system, ultimately to the tune of over $20,000 dollars. He is then rewarded by PS INC. $$$ for keeping expenses low! Wake up America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya NC in Raleigh, North Carolina

71 months ago

Thank you very much for your answer.....It made my decision, I feel like I got to wait forever for a paycheck, twice a damn month. This past month it was a day late.nI have been working on getting my continue credits for my Cosmetology License for this year and been a little behind and couldn't work doing that. I wanted to give Public Storage a chance, but I really need better insurance than what they have to offer.
Thank you again :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wambulance in Dallas, Texas

71 months ago

...and now for the good.

Yes, the pay is rather low but the job is so easy, a caveman can do it. It's a simple, easy job. The worst part is trying to get numbers up at the end of the month by playing bill collector.

The way to really benefit from working for PS is to be an on-site property manager. This means you take a cut in pay in exchange for living on site with all bills paid. I do this and get 7.25/hr. + a 2 bedroom apartment all bills paid (except tv and internet, but water, electric, trash is paid).

On top of that, the live on site arrangement is not taxable income. When I filed taxes I looked into this and there is a stipulation on income in regard to this. IF the residence is located at the business, AND is for the convenience of the employer, AND is a condition of employment, then you do not report it as income. The contract with PS states all of these conditions, so there's over $12,000 a year that I'm getting untaxed.

Even better, the bonuses. My district finishes first tier every quarter and my bonus is close to $1,000 every three months. So, that's 7.25/hr, + 1000 every 3 months, + I don't pay rent or utilities, not to mention I save gas by not having to drive to work.

If I went to work elsewhere, I'd have to make a ridiculous amount of money just to break even in the same situation, and deal with traffic, paying bills, etc.

"What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive?"

Well, they're the biggest in the business and expanding. Their chances are better than anyone else's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sickandtired

71 months ago

Well, you just haven't been there long enough, just give it a little time. As for non-taxable income, just monkey with the IRS and see what they can do. As for living on the property, you should get plenty of drunk, last minute idiots banging on your windows after hrs, holidays, and weekends. Peeking in on your woman or man or both of you. Locked in the property becuase they tailgated someone in trying to get their stuff after hrs and skip out on their rent. They will want you to cut their lock because they claim they lost their key when in reality they are having a fight with their spouse and want to get all the good stuff out first before the other one gets out of jail, (you, the PM can't legally cut locks by the way) They will always argue to no end that they already paid their rent when their gate code doesn't work. (because they haven't paid) Since you live on the property, you should be ok with doing much of the needed maintenance on the property, if you were a good employee, you should be happy to do this, off the clock after hrs of course to keep expenses down. Little things like installing new springs on the doors, painting the hallways, changing light bulbs, clean out abandoned units, fixing fence cuts, cut grass, roof leaks, painting etc. They love employees that own pickups, and have all their own tools, hint hint.. After all, you live there, so why not go the extra mile and be a company man??? I know a staunch, old school German who ran his property with an iron fist, No smoking anywhere on the property, no use of the dumpster at all, no cursing, no speeding, overlocked the day after rent was due, NO BS, no after hrs gate opening, if you got locked in, you spent the night, his property ran like a well oiled machine with 100% occupancy and no dead beats, and they fired him for some stupid technicality. His property was immaculate, the best in the DFW metroplex. There is no loyality to the PM's. Get out while you still have your saniy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sickandtired

71 months ago

This PM that they fired is about 71 yrs old and used to manage the property on 14th st in Plano Tx. He is one hell of a man. It's just a matter of time before you get a belly full of their crap. You'd be better off picking up aluminum cans... The last time I checked, I can't own, insure and maintain a car for 7.25 hr even if I lived at home, and you sure as hell can't buy your woman something nice. Don't tell me you don't need a car since you live there. As for being an easy job, There is a property in Dallas Tx that has 1,100 doors on it, and you are expected to make a lock check everyday twice a day, do you know how long it takes to walk around alone and check 2,200 locks? Of would you just sign off on the checklist that it was done? You just haven't been there long enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

"As for non-taxable income, just monkey with the IRS and see what they can do."

Nobody is monkeying with the IRS. As a matter of fact, the tax break for live on site individuals is on the irs website. It's their own statute.

"Since you live on the property, you should be ok with doing much of the needed maintenance on the property, if you were a good employee, you should be happy to do this, off the clock after hrs of course to keep expenses down. Little things like installing new springs on the doors, painting the hallways, changing light bulbs, clean out abandoned units, fixing fence cuts, cut grass, roof leaks, painting etc."

Nope. We have people we call to do all of that.

"The last time I checked, I can't own, insure and maintain a car for 7.25 hr even if I lived at home, and you sure as hell can't buy your woman something nice."

Are you kidding me? 7.25/hr + 1000 every 3 months with no bills isn't enough to own a car?

Nah, I won't tell you I don't own a car because that would be dishonest. As a matter of fact, I have 2, one of which is a 2001 BMW 740i. To top it off, for the first time in my life I've paid for my full coverage insurance on both vehicles all at once for the discount, instead of month to month.

If you can't live on 7.25/hr + bonus after all bills are paid and you aren't even driving to work, then you're doing something wrong, not public storage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

From IRS website;

Fringe Benefit Exclusion Rules

There are certain fringe benefits that are not subject to federal income tax withholding. Also in some cases they are not subject to social security, Medicare or federal unemployment tax and are not reported on Form W-2. Exclusion Rules apply to the following fringe benefits:

* Accident and health benefits
* Achievement awards
* Adoption assistance
* Athletic facilities
* De minimis (minimal) benefits
* Dependent care assistance
* Educational assistance
* Employee discounts
* Employee stock options
* Group-term life insurance coverage
* LODGING ON YOUR BUSINESS PREMISES
* Meals
* Moving expense reimbursements
* No-additional-cost services
* Transportation (commuting) benefits
* Tuition reduction
* Working condition benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

You got me thinking, so I decided to add up the numbers to see what it would I would have to make elsewhere to break even with what I have now. Let's have an in depth look, shall we?

First of all, rent. Let's go easy and just say $800 for the same floor space (although it's going to be in a seedy part of town to get this much space for $800, but we're just talking numbers here, quality of life is another issue). So, rent 800.

For electric, we'll say 150. However, I know we're using more than that now if we were paying in. 3 computers on all the time, big screen tv, nintendo wii, tv in child's room, ac on all day for this terribly hot texas summer. On the other hand, I could cut back drastically and get by on $150/month for electric, again by sacrificing quality of life but again we're just looking at the numbers.

Let's say also that I'm lucky and work is really close, so I only spend $20/week on gas. $80 month for gas. Now let's just say water and trash is $50 altogether.

That comes to additional expenses of $1080/ month which would mean that I need to make $14.75/hour if I'm only working 36 hours/week like I am now. But uh oh, one small problem.

Making $14.75/hour means that I'm going to be in a federal income tax bracket a full 11% higher than I am now. So actually, to pay the taxes on those wages and still break even, I need to make $16.54/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

But wait a minute, we didn't even count bonus, only base pay. Say I got 2.07/hour for the bonus making top tier, with the taxes for THAT as well, it brings it to roughly $2.27 which means that I need to make $18.81 to be where I'm at now in income.

So I'd have to get another job starting at $18.81, drive to work in traffic everyday, and live in a toxic waste part of town all the while watching my time running the AC or watching television for no gain at all. If picking up aluminum cans is a better option, please tell me where you're getting enough cans to make $20+/hour after expenses so I can get started.

Sickandtired in Killeen, Texas

71 months ago

How long have you been with the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Ok, so I have a small engine repair shop in my garage and I make 35-40,000 per yr, I don't have to report that?
Yea, right. If that's the case, they probably own a few billion in refunds to many home based business owners. Some people make hundreds of thousands of dollars in their back yard, is that taxable? Most people know that the IRS does not follow their own rules. They don't care what their rules say. They are going to make an example out of you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

"Ok, so I have a small engine repair shop in my garage and I make 35-40,000 per yr, I don't have to report that?
Yea, right."

What on earth are you talking about? Earning money through a repair shop is taxable. What I'm talking about here is that the value of the apartment on the business premises is not taxable income.

"Some people make hundreds of thousands of dollars in their back yard, is that taxable?"

Most certainly. It's not where you make you're money that we're talking about. It's the APARTMENT AS COMPENSATION that isn't taxable. You have to pay taxes on ALL income that you earn, even if that income is not in the form of cash but other benefits. There are exceptions, and getting an apartment as compensation is one of them.

"Most people know that the IRS does not follow their own rules. They don't care what their rules say. They are going to make an example out of you..."

You're an idiot.

tressa in California

71 months ago

Wambulance, how is it that you can make more than the max quarterly bonus? it is currently 2$ for a tier 1 district. 1.50$ for tier 2.

looking at some of the comments you have made:
"Nope. We have people we call to do all of that. "
first thing is, how do you manage to get Vendors to actually do the work? most of them that i have talked to say they refuse to do work for public storage because PS never pays.

Wambulance, are you the sole provider for your family? spouse? and kids? or are you a single person? do you have any credit card debt etc...?
if you only take into account expenses for car, you are not looking at the entire picture. how much does it cost you to go to the doctors? or dentist? i know the coverage provided by PS is on low par with Welfare coverage. in fact all the same doctors offices and dentists that are even a part of PS DISCOUNT plan are the same as covered by Welfare.

as for the IRS bit i agree with you it is tax free income for the onsite manager and enjoy it very much.

for getting the 18.xx$ per hour needed for the same type of basic living you could easilly wok as a bank teller, or at Samsclub or costco and make that with little to no effort.

Wambulance, your sentiments towards PS were the same as mine when i first came on, being fascinated by the free rent and utilities. however after you have had the job for a significant amount of time 4+ years, you will begin to see that you have been TRAPPED. you will find it nearly impossible to get a new job with better benefits or in another location, because of the initial cost of moving and the VERY short period of time PS provides an onsite manager to vacate.

if you are married, good luck with you or your spouse getting a different job besides PS without being threatend that both of you will be fired etc...

in all honesty, it is not a bad starter job for a guy or gal in school, but it is not a job a family would be able to survive on for long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I said $2.07 out of figuring out hours for the amount of bonus I regularly get, when in actually it's a tad bit less than $1000 because yes, top tier is $2/hour.

"first thing is, how do you manage to get Vendors to actually do the work?"

can't give you any advice there because I don't have that problem and have never had to deal with it. Find a problem, call a vendor, they fix it. I don't have to deal with any kind of issue with PS not paying the vendor.

"if you only take into account expenses for car, you are not looking at the entire picture. how much does it cost you to go to the doctors? or dentist? i know the coverage provided by PS is on low par with Welfare coverage. in fact all the same doctors offices and dentists that are even a part of PS DISCOUNT plan are the same as covered by Welfare. "

Right, I'm talking amount of pay vs. the market for the position I'm in. Like most companies, the healthcare with PS is not good, nor do I claim for it to be.

"for getting the 18.xx$ per hour needed for the same type of basic living you could easilly wok as a bank teller, or at Samsclub or costco and make that with little to no effort. "

Maybe in CA, but not here. Samsclub pays $10.11/hour and costco's mean wage for employees under 4 years tenure is $12.01, up to $13.23 after 4 years.

"if you are married, good luck with you or your spouse getting a different job besides PS without being threatend that both of you will be fired etc... "

have no idea what you're talking about on that one. The other employers we get are going to threaten to fire us? Huh?

I'm not saying that on site living is the best job in the world. Nor am I saying PS has the best benefits or pay. But what I am commenting on is that for the work, the compensation I get is quite a bit more than I'd get at any comparative employer when taking into account on site living. Lower or higher and it isn't worth it. DM's work too much and people living off site don't make enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Now you had to get personal didn't you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

You're right, I apologize.

71 months ago

No problem, I hope it all works out for you. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, I just know how PS operates. There is a reason the founder is worth over 4.1 billion.
Later

71 months ago

You sound like someone that I may know. I bet the property you are talking about is at Mockingbird and 75. Mr Hughes is worth over 4.1 billion. You are exactly right about the master agreement and the vendor (I know him) that is owed 25,000 dollars.
The managers, Bruce and Connie (I guess ther are still there) at the above location are some very good people and they are crapped on constantly.
To hear PS (BS) talk about it, you would think thay are a non profit organization. This company makes incredible profits, you will never convince me otherwise. Just take one property with 800 units on it at an average of 100.00 per unit, that's 80,000 per month, not including all the stuff inside the office for sale, late fees and other hidden charges, we may be talking about 100,000 per month. The managers labor isn't even a factor with these numbers. Just so happens that I know others in the storage business and they are honest about how much money they make, it's a very profitable business, especially in our materialistic world. There are many units that people have been paying on for years haven't been opened for that long. So PS has spent 0 dollars on maintenance for that unit for 15 yrs, but everytime there is a rent increase, their profit goes up on that unit. I have seen people spend 10,000 + dollars on a unit over a number of years and never enter that unit and when they do their stuff is completely ruined from either heat, roof leaks, or rats, and PS will do nothing for that person, you're just screwed. Think before you store your stuff long term.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

They also cut wrong locks and sell wrong units all the time and will do anything to weasel out of it. One female soldier came back from Iraq and found her unit empty. BS INC. wouldn't even give her the few dollars that it sold for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sameoldcrap in anywhere, Florida

71 months ago

I have worked for PS for two years now!!! Sickandtired you dexcribe the same PS that I know but I can see some of wambulance 's points as well!!! My problem is is the people they hire for DM's are pathetic!!! My biggest issue is that the company does NOT PROMOTE WITHIN!!!! I started as a relief became a property manager within two motnhs and now recieved my BA and they tell me NO I cant be a DM!!! I have previous retail experience and management experience, but Im stuck here as an onsite PM. What kind of company does not promote within??? This just makes no sense at all!!! Then to top it all off, they hire DM's with no experience in storage!!! The pay sucks..... even living on site , it is a savings but it still is a ripoff!!! look at al the money you lose in SS income when you retire???? I was happy with my job, but its not a job for a family trying to make it or a newley graduated college student who has to begin paying off their student loans!!!! It would be a much better company though , if they gave the oppurtunity for PM's to advance to DM's!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Right, they don't hire from within which is stupid, especially if you get the higher education requirements in the meantime. I wouldn't want to work as a DM anyway, always on the job, too many hours, too much BS to deal with.

As far as Social Security, the onsite living is calculated as income when determining retirement benefits. Living on site is not taxable income, but it is used to determine average earning when applying for retirement.

As far as the pay sucking, see my math above. If another job that you can work in your area for almost $19.00/hr. just to break even isn't available, then from that perspective the pay is actually pretty good.

71 months ago

wambulance, eventually you'll see the light and by that time you will probably need an ambulance, I guarantee it. Nothing personal, just stating facts. PS cares nothing about the human element, ONLY the bottom line, NOTHING else. In their case, crime does pay.

71 months ago

I'm not stupid. I realize that PS doesn't give a crap about their employees. I'm not here advocating what an altruistic perspective they have, or how good they treat their employees, or how great the pay is...

But I'm also a realist, and with that I understand that the tax free onsite living along with pay is sufficient compensation for PM duties. Period. That's as far as it goes.

It's very difficult for most people to understand that life doesn't consist of sharp black and whites, rather many shades of gray. If someone doesn't like something (in this case, a disgruntled employee of which every company has), then by default their perspective is that every single thing, every single aspect of their object of frustration is considered to be negative. I fully understand that PS as a company has very bad policies, does bad things, and furthermore doesn't put the investment into the hard working employees that it should.

On the other hand, I also realize that the compensation I receive for the job I do is adequate.

The answer is quite simple, really. If PS pay and compensation are terrible compared to the rest of the labor market, then finding another, better paying job should be easy and your PS experience should no longer be relevant because there are just so many other jobs out there that will treat you right and pay you upwards of $19/hour that it seems odd you'd be stuck on milling over how terrible PS is.

retiringsoon in Columbia, Missouri

70 months ago

wambulance in Dallas, Texas said: As far as Social Security, the onsite living is calculated as income when determining retirement benefits. Living on site is not taxable income, but it is used to determine average earning when applying for retirement.

Do you have any idea how the SS Administration goes about valuing the onsite living arrangement when calcualting income to determine how much they will deduct from SS benefits, or how I can find that out?

PSisadishonsetsadexcuseforacompany in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

BE WARNED!!! Don't ever get sucked in to working for PS. They are everything sick dishonest and sad that is wrong with corporate America. I only wish I had kept more proof of the sick lies and dishonesty. They talk out of both sides of thier face, and don't think you can speak up. They will make you go away. So don't get used to that apartment, because you will be looking for a home and a job at the same time when (not if) you decide you don't want to work there anymore. No job is 'simple enough' for the abuse they put thier employees through. Don't think of job growth either. Upper management commonly like to make fun of the'bottom feeders' they hire to work properties. If you don't know that, than they have you fooled. Sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

retiringsoon in Columbia, Missouri

70 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with employee boards like this, and I know GENERALLY to take comments with a grain of salt because the boards hardly ever attract people who are happy with their job. On the other hand, I have to admit that what I have seen on this board does make one stop and think!

In any event, shortly after my initial comment here I interviewed with a DM and that was an eye opener. Bottom-line. . it did not take me long to determine that, whether PS is a good company to work for or not, this guy was absolutely NOT someone I wanted for! Over and out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

10x10 in California

69 months ago

Where do I start?
I wouldn't say tha PS pay is substandard, but it is somewhat low for all the responsibility a property manager bears. However, I gladly took this job to put food on my table.
It may sound as if I'm complaining, but I'm actually just giving you my side of the story.
Being a property manager is an extremely demanding and time consuming job. If you think it's easy, you just haven't been there long enough.

There is definitely an issue with communication between corporate and field employees. Attempting to get a direct answer from anyone about practically anything is impossible. Corporate lacks when it comes to keeping their employees informed on both the property operations level, as well as, basic employee guidance.

I choose not to participate in their medical coverage plan. I have never heard of the company they use. The cost of coverage is relatively inexpensive. That in mind, you get what you pay for. If their medical coverage plan is anything remotely close to the storage insurance they offer their valued customers, you can better believe I won't be signing up for it.
I also find it a bitter to swallow that corporate receives 'top-of-the-line', full fledged health insurance. Field employees on the other hand, do not have that option.

The only promotional opportunity with PS is being promoted from relief manager to property manager. They positively do not promote within, as they should. That in it's self shows a great disloyalty to their employees.
I've never understood why they choose an individual who has never worked a day in the self-storage industry. Not promoting within in any company, is like a slap in the face to it's employees.
Newly hired district managers are generally clueless as to what they are getting themselves in to, and typically do not last long.
Promoting within would be an advantage. Most seasoned property managers know the so-called in's and out's of the self-storage business.

10x10 in California

69 months ago

Part 2;

Or even more, the district they work in.

District managers do tend to complain about numbers quite frequently. However, above their head is someone complaining even louder and more agressively than they are. This is why I don't blame the district managers. Corporate greed starts at the top and trickles it's way down. That is a fact.

Vendor changes aren't common here, but they do occur. It is my understanding that vendor payment history isn't exactly up to par.
Authorization for calling vendors each and every time you need maintenance can be frustrating at times. I often take care of small jobs myself. In our district, we seem to always be over budget. Strange though, we have been 'over budget' since I have been with the company.

The bonuses have been made somewhat unobtainable. The incentive plan has changed numerous times since I have been with the company. If it is a good plan to start with, then why should it be changed so frequently? Bonus potential for those lucky enough to work in a decent area of town OR in a retail store, is much greater. However, if you have both these strikes against you, you'll probably never see much of a bonus. Let's be hones here, not all of us are making bonus. For a fair number of us, it sure as hell doesn't mean that we aren't performing our job to the best of our ability.
From the beginning, they should have come up with a plan that has potential to bonus everyone on an individual basis only.
Bonus individuals on hard work, reliability, honesty and determination.

Call center wages start out in the teens. I'm not sure what their bonus potential is, but I would love to know.

We are fortunate in our district manager. He is simply not an ass. He will back you up more often than not. When there is an issue with a slacking employee, he takes care of it. I'm glad he understands that this is not the property managers job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

10x10 in California

69 months ago

Part 3;

Another thing I have come to appreciate about our district manager, is that he doesn't roll out red carpet for customers.
True; If it weren't for the customers, we wouldn't have jobs. But on the other hand, if it weren't for honest, dependable, hard working individuals such as myself, customers wouldn't have a safe, clean environment to store their belongings in, not to mentioin, their personal and financial information. In my humble opinion, it works both ways.

Our district has had many, many issues with the payroll department. I won't go in to details, but from what I understand there are a few lawsuits floating around. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that integrity is or was ever an issue with the payroll department. From what I can gather, it seems to be an issue with incompetence.

I can't really complain about the lack of overtime pay. Given the nature of this job, there are times when you put in a little extra. Same goes for the district managers, who get paid salary. If you care anything about your job, this probably rains true for just about any position in any given market.

I also choose not to live onsite. I have friends who do live onsite and I've never heard anything good about the apartments. Apartment inspections are quarterly, if not more often here. They are required and do not have to be announced. If that isn't an intrusion of privacy, I don't know what is. I don't even think actual apartment complexes inspect four times or more a year, do they?
In my opinion, the condition of some if not most of the apartments is substandard. I've not only heard horror stories from reliable sources, but I've also seen first-hand, some of the apartment conditions.
I'm not sure what the advantage or perk is to PS by haveing residential onsite property managers, but be rest assured, there is one.

10x10 in California

69 months ago

Part 4;

As per our district, residential onsite property managers do not make salary. They are paid hourly. Wouldn't living onsite imply that you are readily available practically 24-7? What exactly is the advantage of having a residential onsite property manager to the customers?
If overtime is so steadfastly frowned on, then would living onsite imply the expectation of working off the clock?
I urge anyone to think it out before making the decision to living onsite. Once the tenants find out that you live onsite, they will hound you. Believe me, I've heard plenty of horror stories about that too.

You rarely hear of employees being fired from PS.
If you are asked to 'resign' and decline, as per any company, they can and will make it intolerable for you until you quit.
If you for some reason are asked to 'resign' and you accept, they will give you a wopping 72-hours to get out of your apartment. All this per the contract you signed with them. One can be asked to 'resign' if your numbers aren't quite where they should be OR if someone else comes along that PS thinks can do a better job than you. Not to worry, charma catches up with everyone sooner or later.
If you do happen to get traded off for a greener pasture, it's likely that your replacement will quit shortly after being hired OR end up 'resigning'.
I do an outstanding job, yet I still can't possibly be expected to have a perfect month, every month. Neither can any other property manager.
I deal with enough stress over making numbers, I can't possibly imagine also having the stress of the '72-hour' notice hanging over my head.

All in all, I do believe that this company definitely needs to be investigated on a wide variety of aspects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cornfed Bloo in Vienna, Virginia

69 months ago

PMs and RMs are NOT field employees.

"The only promotional opportunity with PS is being promoted from relief manager to property manager. They positively do not promote (FROM) within, as they should. That in it's self (ITSELF) shows a great disloyalty to their employees.
I've never understood why they choose an individual who has never worked a day in the self-storage industry. Not promoting within in any company, is like a slap in the face to it's (ITS) employees."

If you feel that you should be promoted, have someone proof read your posts and you may understand. Or paste in into Word. PMs typically do not have a multi-unit background. Managing ONE location does not give one the skills or experience for multi-unit. I would bet my eye teeth that a worthy PM could apply for a bench DM position. In my district prior multi-unit is a must, so PMs just never will advance. The jobs really are night and day. I do agree that promoting from within is a good thing but this company just doesn't work that way. It's not like you were misled when you were hired.

You open by saying you aren't complaining and that you took the job to put food on the table, then you whine for four flippin' posts.

NO COMPANY IN AMERICA DOES NOT LOOK OUT FOR THEIR BOTTOM LINE! Name ONE company (your "dream company") that just lets the employees make up rules as they go. Search just about any company and you'll find a site just like this with all the employees blowing off steam. If there is some utopian company out there, point me in that direction.

Why in the world would an ex-PM be allowed to stay in an apartment after their employment? Should all employees in the world with company cars be able to keep them until they find a replacement once employment ends? It has to be turned in right away. Same for company cell phones. Again, it's fully disclosed at hire, so what's the issue?

This is for all-- is there some company out there that you think would be perfect?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Storage Pro in San Diego, California

69 months ago

I've been reading the comments on Public Storage & cannot beleive anyone who feels so negatively about them would constinue to work for them. I have been in the same company for going on 7 years, with my last position lasting 6 years. Over the years, I've heard alot of crap about PS & abostluley postively would not work for them. Then again, I've alot of crap about alot of other com-panies. My first self storage position was with a family owned company, whom, that time, was mid-sized, but you felt like a real person, not like a number. They drove you a little batty with run of the mill BS, but over time this company has gorwn exponentially & I would not go near them with a 10' pole again. Way too much BS.

Owner operators have greater expecations these days than they did years ago. You are not just a "warm body" in this business. regard-less of appearances or if you are new to storage, what others tell you. If you are looking for a place to "flop" & not expend much energy, storage ain't it!

For those of you who are unhappy with PS or any other place you're working, I know it's tough out there right now (I got into self storage when we had our last hosing crash & I lost my busiiness & my home), but I'd be lookin' for a new job.....maybe you're in the wrong industry.

If you don't like what you're doing, get out. Remember, you take you with you. If it's an inside job, you aren't going to be happy anywhere.

In the perfect storage job I'd have few problems-I'd be in a state of the art proerty, no leaks, no asphalt/concrete issues, gates that do what they're supposed to do all the time, software with no glitches, computers that don't crash! I'd make budget every month without marketing my ass off (which doesn't always work anyway), & d I'd make bonsues just by suiting up & showing up. The good news is, most things work most times & I make bonus most times. Most days, I actually enjoy what I do & some days I even comes up with great ideas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.