Does Qualcomm hire interns or entry level program engineers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Bama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

84 months ago

c,c++ or java.
Can only US citizen work for the company?
Any advice for someone interested in this kind of positions?
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CarneAsadaBrito in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

I don't work for qualcomm, but I just interviewed w/them last week (still waiting on results from the interview). Yes, they do hire interns. A few of my interviewers stated they were interns there previously and one interviewer had worked there for about two years straight out of college, so yes, they do hire entry-level engineers.

I imagine getting an internship or entry-level position at Qualcomm is very difficult and competitive. You probably need to be a very outstanding student, great grades, etc. My advice to landing at least an interview with them for these types of positions would be to
1. Get some experience in your particular technology of interest (ie Symbian development, Windows Mobile development, Android development, etc.). Preferably some kind of work experience related to it. If that's not possible, it's also very good to build expertise at those technologies by doing your own personal projects. The idea is to demonstrate a high ability in the position you are applying for both on your resume and during the interview.
2. Get a copy of "Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job"
3. Get a white board and get comfortable displaying your technical ability on the white board

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CarneAsadaBrito in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

continued...

That said, my advice to landing full-time positions at top-tier companies like Qualcomm, Google, Microsoft, etc. is to get some really solid work experience.

Join a good consulting type company for a couple of years. The beauty of these types of companies is that they are often the source of contingent staff for companies like Qualcomm, Microsoft, and various big-name OEMs. What this means for you is that you are often put on-site at these places and basically work there as an employee, getting VERY valuable work experience directly related to your technology of interest. You'll find that either the host company (MS/QC) will want to hire you on full time if you do a good job and/or you will find it infinitely easier to land interviews at any company, including Qualcomm/Microsoft/Google.

The danger in joining one of these consulting companies is that if you are not a citizen and rely on them for your visa, they will try to handcuff you to staying for lower wages by prolonging your green card sponsorship (in which case, I say just pay for the green card yourself if you can afford it).

I have interviewed with Qualcomm, Microsoft, and Amazon among others. With the exception of Amazon, I have never needed to use anything besides C (Amazon is very big on OO, so you should really learn the nuances of Java and C++).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ABC1234 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

69 months ago

@CarneAsabaBrito

Hello!

Can you tell me if Qualcomm is hiring right now? I read the news about the hiring freeze, but I have already given my interview and the engineering group hasnt made up its mind yet. Does the hiring freeze affect the groups in QCT as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CarneAsadaBrito in San Diego, California

69 months ago

I've been working for QC for 2 months now. I saw one of the technical leads giving a tour to someone who was either a new hire or an interviewee, so I guess they haven't completely had a freeze. I haven't heard much about any hiring freezes, buy I imagine if there was one, it would affect QCT as well.

If you've already had your interview, I'd give it about 2 weeks to hear anything back. If you don't hear anything after two weeks, you could ping your recruiter with a friendly email and just ask if there was any initial feedback from your interviews and if the decision is going to be affected by the hiring freeze you read about.

hbfa16 in Irvine, California

68 months ago

@ABC1234
I had an onsite interview on 19th Nov with Qualcomm..just got a mail from HR that I didnt get the job..What about u??

www.telecomtiger.com/Corporate_fullstory.aspx?storyid=4671&section=S162

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana

66 months ago

does anyone know how long "final approval of VP" would take??? I had my onsite in december, i think it went pretty good actually... and according to HR, the tech team has already approved me for hire so they told me "its in for the final approval of the VP"... whatever that means. Its been about 2 weeks since then i have no update from them. Don't know what to think!

mobileguru in Glendale, California

66 months ago

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana said: does anyone know how long "final approval of VP" would take??? I had my onsite in december, i think it went pretty good actually... and according to HR, the tech team has already approved me for hire so they told me "its in for the final approval of the VP"... whatever that means. Its been about 2 weeks since then i have no update from them. Don't know what to think!

Went through interviews myself recently and HR just told me that they have just put into effect a company wide hiring freeze.

66 months ago

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana said: does anyone know how long "final approval of VP" would take??? I had my onsite in december, i think it went pretty good actually... and according to HR, the tech team has already approved me for hire so they told me "its in for the final approval of the VP"... whatever that means. Its been about 2 weeks since then i have no update from them. Don't know what to think!

I was hired in Sept. (way before the hiring freeze) and it took about 2 weeks for "VP approval."

66 months ago

mobileguru in Glendale, California said: Went through interviews myself recently and HR just told me that they have just put into effect a company wide hiring freeze.

what group if you don't mind me asking? was that a technical position? and did you have to ping HR to get an answer or they emailed you first?

so, let's say its a freeze... does that mean they "unfreeze" at some point and consider you again? or will your candidacy expire? I am kind of new to this "job-search" deal....

66 months ago

ok I don't understand, i guess: why would they interview people, spend money for flights, accommodation, etc. (even if its "pennies" to them) if they know that they cannot hire you? .... frustrating! .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana said: ok I don't understand, i guess: why would they interview people, spend money for flights, accommodation, etc. (even if its "pennies" to them) if they know that they cannot hire you? .... frustrating! .....

It's because the hiring freeze came down pretty quickly and suddenly after you'd already been interviewed.

66 months ago

ok one last question before i calm down: wouldn't HR inform me of the situation, like it was with mobileguru? isn't that a policy?
Even in december onsite i was actually concerned about hiring freeze, but HR proudly denied it, saying they are still hiring.

mobileguru in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana said: ok one last question before i calm down: wouldn't HR inform me of the situation, like it was with mobileguru? isn't that a policy?
Even in december onsite i was actually concerned about hiring freeze, but HR proudly denied it, saying they are still hiring.

I interviewed about 2 weeks ago (and they said they were still hiring), prior to the latest QCOM quarterly earnings which were announced last week. With Qualcomm not doing as well as they expected, they issued an immediate hiring freeze and each hire needs to go through some higher approval process / justification. I had to reach out to HR to find out more, they did not call me or email me. Call your HR rep to find out an update. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HopefulHRIntern in Springfield, Missouri

66 months ago

I interviewed for an internship (non technical) about 3 weeks ago and it went great. From talking to prior interns, I learned that the process for hiring interns goes very quickly. However, I have yet to be contacted for a follow up, even though during my interview she said another interview was likely. Do most interns go through multiple interviews? How long does this process take normally? Have any summer 09 internships been offered? Does anyone know how many HR internships they offer traditionally? Will the number of internships drop likely due to the economy? Sorry for all the questions, any info will be appreciated!

DQQ in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

I work for Qualcomm, and we are not on a total hiring freeze. We are just being more selective about the positions being filled. Also, we are still bringing on interns for the summer, not sure if they cut the number of interns though.

Good luck, its a great place to work :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

@ DQQ or someone with qualcomm HR experience:
so "patiently and quietly waiting" is the only option to get some clarity? or would you suggest bugging HR once in a while for an update?

DQQ in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

@ EvLer.

Well, not sure what I would tell you. If you never inquire back, you might fall off the radar so to speak. So asking for an update isn't a bad thing. I just wouldn't do it every day or something :)

If they said the group approved you, and they just need further approval, that's not a bad position to be in. Just depends on how critical it is to fill the opening and the group's budget. I assume this is a job at the San Diego office?

66 months ago

anybody with an offer yet? :(

aban in San Diego, California

66 months ago

Does Qualcomm hire experienced professional in intern position?

66 months ago

No offer yet, in fact, I have not heard from anyone at Qualcomm in a couple weeks! It still shows me as "under consideration" or "open" for the internship, hmmm. I have interviewed for a few other places since my interview with them and, well, the other places just make me want to intern at Qualcomm even more. Seriously, I would do it for free.

66 months ago

well.... i just officially was put on hold....(sigh)..... just not sure if that means that they still will consider me in the month when they said they will lift the freeze. Does anyone with HR background know?

65 months ago

Just found out yesterday, the HR intern position was cancelled for budget reasons. So sad, if I can't even find an internship then I am terrified to graduate in this economy!

sda asd in Gainesville, Florida

65 months ago

Hi DQQ.

Can you please tell what sections at denver office have more budget than the others ?

chimera in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

EvLer in West Lafayette, Indiana said: anybody with an offer yet? :(

I just got a internship offer from Qualcomm .The position is in their Santa Clara office.

Abhinav Gupta TAMU in College Station, Texas

64 months ago

chimera in Los Angeles, California said: I just got a internship offer from Qualcomm .The position is in their Santa Clara office.

Hey Chimera,
Did you get the offer for "Android Customer Engineering Intern (Summer 2009)" position. I was interviewed for this position 2 weeks back and haven't heard from Qualcomm after that. Please let me know if you got offer for this position.

chimera in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Abhinav Gupta TAMU in College Station, Texas said: Hey Chimera,
Did you get the offer for "Android Customer Engineering Intern (Summer 2009)" position. I was interviewed for this position 2 weeks back and haven't heard from Qualcomm after that. Please let me know if you got offer for this position.

No,It's the Web Application Developer Position.They got back to me in a week's time.

Avni Baveja in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Hi . Can some one tell me what kind of questions for android are asked in interviews I'm looking to intern in a company in pennslyvania for android itnernship

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Waiter in Syracuse, New York

44 months ago

Hi Same here. Did u Get the offer letter after approval?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.