How to get a job at Raytheon.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Host

Do you work at Raytheon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Disgruntled Raytheon Employee in Wrentham, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I actually work at Raytheon and applied for a transfer to Tucson 1 month ago. I have yet to hear from HR if they want to have me down for an interview. So my gut feeling is if you are applying from outside the company...good luck you're going to need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Feeling the Pain in Cheyenne, Wyoming

87 months ago

I agree with Disgruntled. My wife is in the Tucson area and has a vast background as an executive assistant with DoD Contractors. She has applied for numerous "openings" and has been refused for all positions. She has a standing Secret clearance and an awesome list of referances. I guess she just dosn't know the secret handshake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntled raytheon employee in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Oh man it's neopotism at it's finest. The summer interns just started and I can't name one that doesn't share a last name with one of the engineers. It's amazing that we're still in business with some of the idiots they hire just to say they have a "diverse" workforce. I'm going to BAE...$10,000 toilet seats here we come!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

You guys are funny! in Nashua, New Hampshire

87 months ago

disgruntled raytheon employee in Boston, Massachusetts said: Oh man it's neopotism at it's finest. The summer interns just started and I can't name one that doesn't share a last name with one of the engineers. It's amazing that we're still in business with some of the idiots they hire just to say they have a "diverse" workforce. I'm going to BAE...$10,000 toilet seats here we come!

Ive tried to get into BAE as well as Raytheon for years and best of luck to anyone trying....As far as all the engineers sharing the same lasts names...that was funny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Tucson, Arizona

87 months ago

Raytheon blows. I have been trying to get in there for years too. I have two masters degrees and lots of relevant experience. They did fly me out to Tewksbury once, but after the interview I couldn't even get HR to return my calls. My friend works for them here in Tucson. He actually threw a fit in front of HR when they totally ignored my resume and his recommendation to a job in international BD. They ignored him too. Unless you're connected at the hip to someone there, I suggest you spend your time looking at other opportunities with real companies - if there is such a thing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

qw in Denver, Colorado

87 months ago

James in Tucson, Arizona said: Raytheon blows. I have been trying to get in there for years too. I have two masters degrees and lots of relevant experience. They did fly me out to Tewksbury once, but after the interview I couldn't even get HR to return my calls. My friend works for them here in Tucson. He actually threw a fit in front of HR when they totally ignored my resume and his recommendation to a job in international BD. They ignored him too. Unless you're connected at the hip to someone there, I suggest you spend your time looking at other opportunities with real companies - if there is such a thing...

Need to know someone to get a job these days...What happened to the United States????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

86 months ago

disgruntled raytheon employee in Boston, Massachusetts said: Oh man it's neopotism at it's finest. The summer interns just started and I can't name one that doesn't share a last name with one of the engineers. It's amazing that we're still in business with some of the idiots they hire just to say they have a "diverse" workforce. I'm going to BAE...$10,000 toilet seats here we come!

It was this way too when I worked at IBM in Clevleland while in college earning my EE. Nepotism, you bet! A popular saying when workers finished a project was, "good enough for government work."

In 1994, my last year in college IBM did major downsizing and I was laid off (along with many others).

Me? I have no family or friends in industry, so I don't have to tell you that I am still unemployed; 5 1/2 years and counting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Penc in Bellevue, Nebraska

86 months ago

Actually, Raytheon is the only government contractor that took the time to tell me where things stand with regard to my applications. I still am looking for work, but in my case (not too long looking, yet) they have at least attempted to communicate to me, and indicate some interest in my qualifications. At least in the case of their Omaha office. As in any job seeking instance, networking does definitely help. But this is universal and does not apply strictly to Raytheon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Diamond Bar, California

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Raytheon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Put in for about five different administrative positions and never heard back once other than the standard email that they received my application. I have over 20 years experience and all of the qualifications, so not really sure why it is so hard to get an interview. They must do all of their hiring from within the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hola in Marietta, Georgia

84 months ago

I was interviewed for a IT job at their Alexandria office for about 2 1/2 hours during the lunch hour (no body cared about its a lunch hour). They were not at all organized in the sense that they changed the interviewers at the last minute and they were not on the schedule. Also, there is a lot of disconnect between the HR and the dept. When I called the secretary the other day regarding the status, she never picks up my phone (This happened to me even before the onsite interview). Overall its a wierd experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Augusta, Georgia

84 months ago

Y usted tuvo que sentarse alli y faltar no solamente el almuerzo pero la siesta mide el tiempo tambien? Una que verguenza!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Milner in Anna, Texas

84 months ago

Don't give up. After a year of applying to jobs out at Raytheon, they finally called me this week to come in for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Former Raytheon Employee

83 months ago

Worked for Raytheon in Las Vegas for 6 years, 'til another gov't contractor took over. Recently applied on line to a posting. Description fit my qualifications perfectly (+ Raytheon was listed on my resume). Received an automatic "do not meet qualifications" e-mail within about 10 minutes! Makes ya think if any humans really look at these things. (PS: Hiya, Diamond Bar! Lived there for about 3 years; grew up in West Covina!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Ohio

83 months ago

Former Raytheon Employee said: Worked for Raytheon in Las Vegas for 6 years, 'til another gov't contractor took over. Recently applied on line to a posting. Description fit my qualifications perfectly (+ Raytheon was listed on my resume). Received an automatic "do not meet qualifications" e-mail within about 10 minutes! Makes ya think if any humans really look at these things. (PS: Hiya, Diamond Bar! Lived there for about 3 years; grew up in West Covina!).

Wow sorry to hear that. Parker Hannifin in Cleveland/Elyria is the same way. But they beat your automatic rejection by about 8 minutes, lol! I no sooner applied online, and about 2 minutes later I had a rejection email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

broccoli in Southampton, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

Interviewed at RMS in Tucson. Make one mistake -Forget to shake someones hand in a group setting (ie not sticking hand out first, or fast enough), or do/say anything that can be perceived in a negative way, you will be crossed off the list. Highly critical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

azeem in chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

What are the chances of getting a call for a second interview in a different business. First interviewed at Tuscon, but didn't get the job. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Graceful585 in Sonoita, Arizona

71 months ago

Raytheon is extremely difficult to get into. I was told by someone who actually got in that when you submit your resume online through their website it is scanned for key words so make sure your resume has key words pertaining to the postion you're seeking. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AeroHopeful in San Francisco, California

67 months ago

James in Tucson, Arizona said: Raytheon blows. I have been trying to get in there for years too. I have two masters degrees and lots of relevant experience. They did fly me out to Tewksbury once, but after the interview I couldn't even get HR to return my calls. My friend works for them here in Tucson. He actually threw a fit in front of HR when they totally ignored my resume and his recommendation to a job in international BD. They ignored him too. Unless you're connected at the hip to someone there, I suggest you spend your time looking at other opportunities with real companies - if there is such a thing...

I have had a similar experience as a senior at a top 15 university with research experience applying to Raytheon. The whole time during the interview being conducted by various employees I heard a few of them talk about how excited they were to speak to the applicants from the local state university that seemed to dominate the ranks of the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nathan Labadie in El Cajon, California

65 months ago

AeroHopeful in San Francisco, California said: I have had a similar experience as a senior at a top 15 university with research experience applying to Raytheon. The whole time during the interview being conducted by various employees I heard a few of them talk about how excited they were to speak to the applicants from the local state university that seemed to dominate the ranks of the company.

My interview went very well. They were very interested in my design projects, which helped since I'm going to a small state university on the west coast. In my opinion, they are very selective based on your particular research and breadth of hands-on experience. Try to sell that experience as much as possible. It worked for me since I landed the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angeline lilky in New York

63 months ago

Unfortunately, the last name comment is very true. Raytheon oprerates their HR department in the stone age. Neopotism for sure.... I am a former employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

neusa in Las Cruces, New Mexico

63 months ago

I first had a series of onsite interviews. No bites. I made a profile on their website at rayjobs.com/campus and applied for tons of positions. Whenever a local college or university held a career fair I attended and slowly got to know a few specific raytheon employees from the area. I learned that raytheon has an active internal recruiting program so if you know someone you definitely have a better chance. Overall, the main objective is to get your name all over their positive radar. It was surprising the level of difficulty given an EE degree with a 3.9 GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lindi in nice city, Idaho

63 months ago

Not very professional---sent an email after a call from the HR Talent Req---gave a time, but did not detail interview was to last 4.5 hours with 6 different people (not mentally prepared for that)---did not find out until showing up for interview---he came out handed me a paper schedule, said he would see me at the end of the day and walked off...very rude at end of day....then was told that I would hear from them by end of next week---sent thank you's with no reply....after sending a follow up email---was sent a one line email back "hello, position is filled." that was it. I gave them my entire background history, social security number and permission to check every part of my life...I know I have great references and perfect credit---but that was unprofessional and makes a person wonder what happened???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John Smith88 in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

I have lived in the Denver metro area for 7+ years. I have submitted my resume for years for the aurora campus, just a resume black hole!

Then, about 18 months ago I submitted it again and got a phone call and face-to-face interview within about 7-14 days. It was the first time submitting my resume to them with my Master's degree in Computer science (also B.S. in CS as well). I have 14+ years of experience as a SW engineer. I already had an active TS/SCI clearance from another company, which didn't seem to help get past the resume black hole. Maybe it was my M.S. degree + years of experience that got me in the door? Or perhaps it was just timing and sheer luck? (probably the latter).

What I have noticed in the last 18 months of working there is that 40-50% of the workforce there are A) Ethnic Minorities (black, asian, chinese, whatever), B) Women, or C) GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual Transgender), they even have an official GLBT raytheon site and club to join.

There is a double standard when it comes to work performance (and especially layoffs). It's VERY hard to lay off or fire anyone from A), B) OR C) category. But if you're a WHITE MALE, then it's A) HARDER to get in the door (even with a clearance), and B) EASIER to get LAID off when layoffs come around.

I just got laid off, they laid of 30 people, several of which were from the area I worked in, and all of them were WHITE MALES. Even though I personally know that the job performance of the other categories is "acceptable" or less, compared to their peers.

However, the majority of the people that work there are all very bright, and very hard working for the most part. Another reason it's hard to get in is because once you're in, you never leave because it's a pretty good company to work for. Great benefits and competitive total compensation. When someone retires or gets laid off it may create an opening later (if they win follow-on contracts down the road and have already laid off).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

SS in Mckinney, Texas

59 months ago

I applied for over 10 positions but no luck so far and no calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

weebo in Windham, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Great company to work for , but unfortunatley its one of those places were you need to know someone to get in . I have family that works in there, so they helped me lots to get in and stay in. Regardless of the fact , i wish you good luck . Again , its an awsome company to work for . its a "real" company . it sure as hell beats baging food or flipping burgers ! . If you keep on insisting , they will get back to you sooner or later .

-weebo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Want back in my career field in Belleville, Michigan

49 months ago

Although I'm not unemployed, I am like many of you and are under employed. I was a corporate trainer downsized 7 years ago and actually had to talk my way into being hired at a call center.

I have been applying for training positions through their website since October 2009. The last time I applied was in May. I had gotten so used to never hearing anything back, I was surprised to have my first phone call to set up an initial interview. I don't know anyone at the company. So, I'll have to make the most of my moment.

I'm supposed to get an email from the recruiter to confirm my timeframe for next Tuesday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AndroidImpressive in Sunnyvale, California

19 months ago

You are in good company. You, me, and about 50 million others in the U.S. .
There is a reason it is called a "depression".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FrugalFannie in Manchester, New Hampshire

1 month ago

Host said: Do you work at Raytheon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Raytheon is laying off a large number of employees in the not too distant future (like possibly as early as next week). Lockheed just won a huge contract. They have many job postings. My advice, apply at Lockheed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.