Robert Half are a WASTE OF TIME

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Mike in Sacramento, CA

93 months ago

Please do not wast time going OR registering with Robert Half, they are liars and will not find you a job of any sort. A great website to search for potential openings is www.indeed.com, its great for searching for openings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jim

93 months ago

I do agree that indeed.com covers the job openings scenario the best.

I have seen the same job on multiple job boards but with additional / different job duties. By responding to a truncated job posting you have really shot yourself in the foot before you can even be a candidate. Typically, I feel, CareerBuilder and jobing.com have such short job duties / job descriptions that someone does contact you, this additional missing information can really hurt you and waste your time.

Robert Half is made up of about 7 different "subsidiaries". I have dealt with Accountemps quite nicely. As for RHI, Robert Half Management Resources, Robert Half Finance, I have never heard back from them, ever.

However, they do share their information within the total company. So, if RHI doesn't contact you, they might sent your profile to Accountemps, without any additional time required by a candidate. That saves you some time, while you are continuing your job serch elsewhere. That is the only advantage to contacting RHI, they know who you do not.

Accountemps division is alot more user-friendly from a Candidate's point of view. But, I find that I have to email them weekly as a reminder that "I am still available for work" and attach your current Word resume every time you send that email.

Also, here is the most important point. Ask them to reply via email, that they have received your resueme AND that they have UPDATED your Candidate Profile.

I had finished an assignment with Adecco, turned in my badge to the Branch Manager, and asked him for the resume he had on my Candidate Profile. The Branch Manager had NEVER updated my own resume in his computer, and I had just finished the assignment!!! My Candidate Profile contained my resume that was THREE YEARS old...He never updated it !!!! So, for every resume he was sending out "on my behalf" appreared to every prospective client / employer that I had not worked in THREE YEARS. I was extremely angry and frustrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Merritt Island, Florida

93 months ago

Jim, When you worked with Accountemps was it as SPS- Salaried Professional Service? I have someone who wants me to come in for an interview, with the promise of when the project is over that they keep you on salary at $2.00/ hour less than what you were making if they don't have another project for you to go to. Does that seem to be familiar to you or is that a load of garbage? Do they actually make it so you have any benfits or do they cut you off right before you can collect, i.e. medical? Any one with any knowledge please reply. Understand I am meeting with them next week and don't really want to be thinking the worst at Christmas time. I just want the facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bessie Spencer in Seattle, Washington

93 months ago

Thank you Mike, Jim and Elizabeth for sharing your experiences. I'm signed up with Accountemps but nothing seems to be happening, hopefully someone will talk there with me soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Sacramento, California

92 months ago

Bessie,

You will find that accountemps will treat you the same as RH, as they are affiliated with RH. I would recommend you target each employer directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

christine in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

I agree with all the negative comments. Robert Half has had my resume on file for at least four years! Not once have they sent me out on an interview. However, I have met every person in the office at least once, sometimes I visited two or three times in one week.. Never got a
job through Robert Half,, I found my own and I do not recomend them at all..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking for help in Easton, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

Does anyone knows what type of exam they give and what is the purpose for it? For example, one of the recruiter told me that I need to take an excel and accounting exam. After reading the postings on this board I am seriously thinking about canceling my appointment.

Is there a valid purpose for this exam? What are they trying to test you on? Does it effect your placement chances?

Thank you for your response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Racheal Nandlal in Seaside, California

91 months ago

The exams from Accountemps and Robert Half are pretty basic. Sometimes the employers want to know your proficiency. I took the audit test because the client was concerned about my limited years of audit experience. In the end, they were happy and hired me to do the job. I have been a member of the RH SPS program for 2 years now. No issues. I like being guaranteed a paycheck even if I am not working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Colorado Springs, Colorado

91 months ago

I recently went on an interview with them about a month ago, and I never found myself so insulted in my life. I have a misdemeanor from a nasty divorce that is over 10 years old, and I answered hoonestly about it on both my job application and in my interview, and was told that they usually don't hire people like me, and that they would have to run it by their legal department to see if I was even eligible for placement. I promptly ended teh interview and told them the would be hearing from an attorney about their equal opportunity hiring practices, and I heard about a job within a week at a wage that was completely insulting for my skill set(laugh, laugh). Now excuse me, but in ten years, I have gone back to school, earned a degree, and turned my life completely around, not to mention my misdemeanor was not for violence, it was for a minor infraction, and I offered the court papers to prove it. I have passed all kinds of background checks everywhere else for scores of other jobs, and could not believe how snotty and unprofessional they were. In my opinion, there are many other temp agencies that have a much more professional approach to how they treat their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Stuart, Florida

90 months ago

The Excel and Accounting exams are fairly simple, I scored very well on both back in Sep 06, Never heard back from them. What I find so frustrating with RH, as well as any of the placement agencies, is that they will post a "new" job out there, and when you inquire either it's been "filled" or it doesn't exsist yet. I ended up finding a great job on my own. However, I will say RH can be just one tool to use. I have learned one thing in career search - NETWORKING!!!!, and this is just one additional way to be out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

90 months ago

Jay said: I recently went on an interview with them about a month ago, and ..
Jay,
Do you have a reference letter you can use? This may sound a bit simple, however, maybe if you have something else on paper, this would help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

R_C in Kansas City, Missouri

77 months ago

Be VERY afraid if you go to work for the RHI "SPS" program. They have sent me into 3 higher level positions than what I've ever worked which is NOT what they told me they would be doing. I've learned alot--WITH LITTLE OR NO TRAINING, but, the positions I'm working in should pay around 58-62K a year in the KC area. HERE's THE DEAL:

You have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR to qualify for their "401K". (That validates a high attrition rate, nothing more, nothing less.)

Anyway...They are paying me 40K with a simple benny package. THEY ARE BILLING IN EXCESS OF NINETY THOUSAND A YEAR FOR MY TIME.

I did not agree to work in the positions I've been sent into for 40K (Controller, Financial Analyst II etc). But, they send you into positions where they can bill a high rate, and pay you as little as possible. The markup on my work is 225% which is BEYOND greedy.

If you ask for more money, they say you have to wait for your review--IN A YEAR. Then you'll get screwed, and, they'll just move on to their next victims.

I asked for "nothing North of the river" IN WRITING(since I live in South KC)-- and all 3 of my assignments have been NORTH OF THE RIVER! When I asked my "agent" about that, he simply sales pitched me with "Oh, thats's WELL within the parameters of our agreement" even though in black n white I show differently.

UNDERSTAND THIS IF NOTHING ELSE...THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING REGARDING YOUR CAREER.

SIMPLY PUT, THEY ARE NOTHING BUT COMMISSIONED SALES PEOPLE. PERIOD. THEY MAKE A LIVING OFF BILLABLE HOURS.
FIND A JOB ON YOUR OWN, ELIMINATE RHI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jconway152 in Lisle, Illinois

64 months ago

I have been working as a "Salaried Professional" for RHI for almost a year now. They hired me on after they saw my test scores when I went to register with accountemps. I really think they hired me on because they had a position that needed to be filled immediately and had no one to do it. It seemed like a great opportunity for me, always something new, not worrying about the ususal corporate BS. Well they just told me they are no longer paying me bench time. I can stay in the program and keep my benefits and no pay. I don't know how they expect me to pay for my health insurance with no pay. I can also lose my benefits and transition into the temp program. I am sorry now and totaly agree that RHI is a sales company and if they can't sell you, you are unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanne Bufalino in Hampton, New Hampshire

64 months ago

THIS IS A UNBELEIVABLE STORY. Here is my experience with AccountTemps, (a direct spinoff of Rolbert Half International here on the Seacoast of New Hampshire.) I was looking for a temporary, full-time, position for 1 year until I received my MA degree.I met with Kristen in their Portsmouth office and she told me "I have the perfect position for you." This was on a Wednesday, on Thursday she told me that she had not heard from the "contact" but that "I had the position and to expect to report to the job on Monday." On Friday I spoke with Kristen and she said that she still hadn't heard from the "contact" so I wouldn't start working until Tuesday. In the meantime I had ceased all job searches and had even refused a job opportunity as I already had a job....right? Late Friday I heard from Kristen who stated that she talked to the "contact" and the woman just wanted to meet with me before I started the job and Kristen told me "Can you meet with her on Monday morning?" When I had the "informal interview" on Monday I learned that the job was $2.00 less than what Kristen had stated and was only for 20 hours a week, not 40 as Kristen had stated. Also, I learned that I was not the only "apple in their cart," the "contact" had another interview on Tuesday morning. After the interview I called Kristen to tell her that a lot of the information she had relayed to me was incorrect. She apologized and stated "I don't know where I got the figure and hours from!" Yes..........she's blonde.
On Tuesday afternoon I heard from Kristen who stated "I'm sorry but the "contact" decided to hire independently." I couldn't believe it.........unbelievable!!!!! I am still on the job search and with this economy the way it is, at least on the Seacoast, I have applied to Walmart and BJ's, hoping for anything.
THANK YOU KRISTEN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INEXPERIENCE AND UNPROFESSIONALISM. I definetly will not recommend you or your company to a prospective company or employee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Durham, North Carolina

55 months ago

R_C

Do you have anything additional to say for RHI's SPS program? Have you had difficulties to find a new assignment once a 3-month project was over? How were you compensated in the interim until you are assigned to a new project? Was this a good learning experience for your career/resume? I'd appreciate if you could elaborate on this a bit.

Thanks

R_C in Kansas City, Missouri said: Be VERY afraid if you go to work for the RHI "SPS" program. They have sent me into 3 higher level positions than what I've ever worked which is NOT what they told me they would be doing. I've learned alot--WITH LITTLE OR NO TRAINING, but, the positions I'm working in should pay around 58-62K a year in the KC area. HERE's THE DEAL:

You have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR to qualify for their "401K". (That validates a high attrition rate, nothing more, nothing less.)

Anyway...They are paying me 40K with a simple benny package. THEY ARE BILLING IN EXCESS OF NINETY THOUSAND A YEAR FOR MY TIME.

I did not agree to work in the positions I've been sent into for 40K (Controller, Financial Analyst II etc). But, they send you into positions where they can bill a high rate, and pay you as little as possible. The markup on my work is 225% which is BEYOND greedy.

If you ask for more money, they say you have to wait for your review--IN A YEAR. Then you'll get screwed, and, they'll just move on to their next victims.

I asked for "nothing North of the river" IN WRITING(since I live in South KC)-- and all 3 of my assignments have been NORTH OF THE RIVER! When I asked my "agent" about that, he simply sales pitched me with "Oh, thats's WELL within the parameters of our agreement" even though in black n white I show differently.

UNDERSTAND THIS IF NOTHING ELSE...THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING REGARDING YOUR CAREER.

SIMPLY PUT, THEY ARE NOTHING BUT COMMISSIONED SALES PEOPLE. PERIOD. THEY MAKE A LIVING OFF BILLABLE HOURS.
FIND A JOB ON YOUR OWN, ELIMINATE RHI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Durham, North Carolina

54 months ago

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ziggie in Greensboro, North Carolina

47 months ago

Mike in Sacramento, CA said: Please do not wast time going OR registering with Robert Half, they are liars and will not find you a job of any sort. A great website to search for potential openings is www.indeed.com , its great for searching for openings!

1 - Their job is not to find you a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Pleasanton, California

15 months ago

Did you ever send an updated copy of your resume? Making sure he has an updated copy to send out is your responsibility. If you did, and he neglected to update it, that is one thing. But, if you are just upset because he never sat down and updated YOUR resume, that is just silly, because that is your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

notme in Saint Cloud, Florida

13 months ago

Ziggie in Greensboro, North Carolina said: 1 - Their job is not to find you a job.

Then what is their job? They are a placement company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

13 months ago

Mike in Sacramento, CA said: Please do not wast time going OR registering with Robert Half, they are liars and will not find you a job of any sort. A great website to search for potential openings is www.indeed.com , its great for searching for openings!

I saw this thread too late LoL.

tblong142 in Raleigh, North Carolina

13 months ago

I thought I was in the progrm but when my 90 days were up they came up with excuses NOT to pay me. I am assuming since it is slow this summer they planned this all along. I gave up a regular job offer because I believe them. BEWARE is you think they will pay if you are not working. They are liars!!!!!

CHELINH in San Diego, California

12 months ago

ALL STAFFING FIRMS ARE FREAKING SCAMMERS. DO NOT TRUST ANY TEMP AGENCIES. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY WILL MAKE A PROFIT OUT OF YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

I have to say everyone posted negative things here seem to have issues beyond whatever they experienced at RHI.

I've worked with them in several cities, including SPS, and have always found them to be honest and worked hard to find positions that matched my skills. Yes, the mark-up is a lot, but that's what all agencies do. You're the only one responsible for negotiating your salary.

They don't guarantee they'll find you assignments on SPS--but believe me, they do try very hard because every hour you're not working is every hour they're not billing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Temp agencies are sales groups. Of course they are in it to make money. same as any other company. you don't like them, don't use them. its not like you paid anything up front. I mean what would you have been doing that day you registered. sleeping? people get mad when the agency doesn't find them a job. what they fail to say is that my resumes I bad and I cant keep a job. So funny. You didn't pay anything for the services. as a manager at one of the firms for years, I would laugh everytime someone called in to complain about a staffing manager. go away. get a job. stop calling me. you didn't pay for the services. you don't like the free service, leave. simply Sherlock.
what the rhis do is that they fake the postings. there are not really that many jobs on the net. but either or, they still can help you find a job eventually but stop whining and if you don't like them, leave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ML Chicago in Sandwich, Illinois

12 months ago

Thanks JM and some others for the information on the SPS program. They just offered me a job with the SPS program at an hourly rate. The pay isn't great, but I need a job. So I guess I have nothing to lose. I don't have a great deal of experience because I recently graduated from college. Anyone else have additional info on the SPS program. Are there regular raises? I was offered an hourly rate, not salary, so I guess that means overtime is included? Do you get paid if you aren't on assignment or between assignments? I just read so many negative things about RH that I was very skeptical about them. I appreciate any comments.

Todd in Royal Oak, Michigan

12 months ago

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania said: Temp agencies are sales groups. Of course they are in it to make money. same as any other company. you don't like them, don't use them. its not like you paid anything up front. I mean what would you have been doing that day you registered. sleeping? people get mad when the agency doesn't find them a job. what they fail to say is that my resumes I bad and I cant keep a job. So funny. You didn't pay anything for the services. as a manager at one of the firms for years, I would laugh everytime someone called in to complain about a staffing manager. go away. get a job. stop calling me. you didn't pay for the services. you don't like the free service, leave. simply Sherlock.
what the rhis do is that they fake the postings. there are not really that many jobs on the net. but either or, they still can help you find a job eventually but stop whining and if you don't like them, leave

Well that's the point of discussing it here.

Thanks for adding that RHI posts fake job ads. I always wondered if they did.

I've never dealt with them but I just got a feeling they were sleazy.

But you're right, it's a two-way street. You get a job, they get to make money off of you getting a job.

But if you're treated like garbage, then it's a one-way street and people need to know this.

I don't send resumes to anyone other than companies I want to work for. I hate that my resume may be stockpiled with some headhunter or contractor.

I once received a call from some weird contractor who asked me about a job. Apparently one contractor sold my resume to another.

Realize that your information becomes a commodity. And that none of these places care about your or your privacy.

So yeah, go away. Don't use these places, don't make them money. If you can, use fake information, find out who they are dealing with....then submit a real resume to that company.

12 months ago

Read the response from the RHI rep carefully.

When you see all those juicy want ads and they're all from the same recruiter or contractor. And they seem too good to be true, they are.

They are fishing for resumes.

I realize people are desperate for jobs, but just realize that these places are just creating databases with your info. There are no jobs.

You're not getting compensated for them selling YOUR information.

And who knows who may get that information. It may be an identity thief.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Jeanne Bufalino in Hampton, New Hampshire said: After the interview I called Kristen to tell her that a lot of the information she had relayed to me was incorrect. She apologized and stated "I don't know where I got the figure and hours from!" Yes..........she's blonde.

She's not blonde, she wanted to get as many faces into the interview to get the work. And she'd lie to you to get you into the interview.

It doesn't even matter if you got the job, you were another warm body that RHI could parade in front of a customer to give them multiple options.

Maybe they used you as the fat girlfriend, i.e. to make the other candidate look better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LH in Laurel, Maryland

12 months ago

ML Chicago in Sandwich, Illinois said: Thanks JM and some others for the information on the SPS program. They just offered me a job with the SPS program at an hourly rate. The pay isn't great, but I need a job. So I guess I have nothing to lose. I don't have a great deal of experience because I recently graduated from college. Anyone else have additional info on the SPS program. Are there regular raises? I was offered an hourly rate, not salary, so I guess that means overtime is included? Do you get paid if you aren't on assignment or between assignments? I just read so many negative things about RH that I was very skeptical about them. I appreciate any comments.

I worked as an SPS for 2 years. I really enjoyed my placements and my pay was limited to the fact that I had not finished my undergrad. I'm not sure if I still would have been paid less with it. Your rate is not locked in. I was paid less and more than my original contract based on the responsibility. I loved being set apart from the political issues of the corporate office and happened to always be placed. The downfall is that if your SPS recruiter can't find what your preferences are, you may end up working farther or even a separate shift or less pay. I was on the bench for maybe a week. If you are more concerned with continuous, steady pay long-term and you don't have a fallback (i.e. roommate, spouse, other financial streams), the stress of the possibility that you may not land/keep a position may be more than you are willing to risk. RHI is a BILLION dollar company - check the audit. They are making excellent profit in the US and that is because management sells a service at a rate the yields good money after the expenses. The only way that is possible is through billable rate markup which is essentially the recipe for any solvent firm. I hope things work out for you.

12 months ago

SPS is nothing more than Acccountemps on juice. You get fired like every other temp. its nothing special. we hire and fired just like we did in acccountemps. we get the client to believe there is all of this value for them to go sps way. then we jack up the rates to inhuman levels. smoke and mirrors.

if people want to find a job, get with a recruiter and build a relationship. not with the company. with the recruiter. there lies the secrets of getting a job through the agency. i watched recruiters place the same person 6 times in a year. each time getting the person more money. but most complain or call the superiors which is the biggest mistake. we giggle. dont complain. find another recruiter. you complain I guarantee you no one in the firm will every call you. they are too busy to deal with your nonsense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

and no one is selling your info. you paranoid people out there with all of your indentity theft issue ( when you know full well you just over drew on your bank account) no one took your money. wise up.

no one is selling information. no one wants it. so rest assure you $10 in your checking is safe with us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

12 months ago

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania said: and no one is selling your info. you paranoid people out there with all of your indentity theft issue ( when you know full well you just over drew on your bank account) no one took your money. wise up.

no one is selling information. no one wants it. so rest assure you $10 in your checking is safe with us

wanna bet?? Then how did I start receiving unsolicited magazines from a company I have NEVER had any dealing with? How could they have ever gotten my info? I have never taken any online surveys, so where did they select my name (including middle initial), address etc, out of the blue??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

rhi is a $3Billion Dollar firm, I highly doubt they are selling your information to TEEN BEAT. You have done something. But staffing firms do not sell your info. In todays' world if any entitiy wants your info they can get it, simple as that

Don't Believe the Hype! in Dallas, Texas

12 months ago

jedonkey in USA, Pennsylvania said: SPS is nothing more than Acccountemps on juice. You get fired like every other temp. its nothing special. we hire and fired just like we did in acccountemps. we get the client to believe there is all of this value for them to go sps way. then we jack up the rates to inhuman levels. smoke and mirrors.

if people want to find a job, get with a recruiter and build a relationship. not with the company. with the recruiter. there lies the secrets of getting a job through the agency. i watched recruiters place the same person 6 times in a year. each time getting the person more money. but most complain or call the superiors which is the biggest mistake. we giggle. dont complain. find another recruiter. you complain I guarantee you no one in the firm will every call you. they are too busy to deal with your nonsense.

You're right SPS is a glorified temp job. Sounds good but the markup is ridiculous in comparison to what you get paid. If they can't sell your services at that premium rate, bench time has a very limited time period. Soon enough they will kick you out of the program with a sorry offer of yet another temp job. Done with RobertHalf/Accountemps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

R S in Washington, District of Columbia

12 months ago

I need some advice. I applied for Robert Half and came in for an interview, they had me sign a bunch of paper work and which made me feel uncomfortable because I felt like I signed my rights to stay with the company. It has been 3 days now. I have not worked any jobs for them yet, I want to back out. Will there be any legal issues if I choose to not wanna stay with the Robert Half? What's the best way to let them know I am not interested?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.