Very important post - Robert Half & Age Discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island

93 months ago

LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CMA in Pleasanton, California

93 months ago

I have worked for RHI, and this is actaully very true. The bottom line is that this company is about sales and Protiviti (also an RHI company) while a different culture is the same way. I listen to several recruiters say it's about how much one can BS. If you go with this company look for a recruiter that has a niche in the area that you want...not that places every postion. Also, look for someone who has done your job. There is high turnover. Be careful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Saint Louis, Missouri

91 months ago

Thanks for your candor. I have been signed up with Robert Half in the Accounting/Finance area for years, with no success, lots of BS. In my field most positions go through recruiters, who appear to use similar methodologies of screening out candidates over a certain age (is it 40 or younger?). Any recommendations how I can get around them and find a permanent job? I get many calls for temp assignments, none for permanent. The assignments never coincide with what I am looking for. Are the more mature workers deliberately contacted for the lousiest assignments?

Thank you.

None said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas
I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Plano, Texas

90 months ago

Robert Half is a joke and there's nothing I'd like better than to see them go out of business.

I went to RH last year to register for consulting and permanent job placement. They did a background check and I was never contacted about any issues. Fast forward to 2007, in which I consulted for them for 2 days. About a month later, I received a phone call from their office stating that they cannot assist me in seeking a perm position, nor can I contract out with them as a Consultant.

According to their Corporate Legal Department, it is because I have a criminal record. Why? I have a Class C Misdemeanor, in which I "allegedly" dinged a car door in a parking lot. I was found guilty and fined $250 when I represented myself in court. When I filled out their application I answered "yes" to the misdemeanor question and explained why. The ironic thing is this Class C Misdemeanor has never shown up on any background checks that have been performed on me.

I was told by their District Director that the only way their legal department will provide me any information is if I hire an attorney to contact them. When I asked the Director why it was never an issue until now, his response is "it must've slipped through the cracks".

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that because I'm over the age of 40, that this is another shoddy way of their legal deparment (almost 10 months later) of discriminating. I'm kind of suspect about how many people under the age of 40 with misdemeanors were placed by Robert Half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Browny in Irving, Texas

90 months ago

RHI are one of the lousiest management that I have come across.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

C Morris in Stow, Ohio

89 months ago

CMA in Pleasanton, California said: I have worked for RHI, and this is actaully very true. The bottom line is that this company is about sales and Protiviti (also an RHI company) while a different culture is the same way. I listen to several recruiters say it's about how much one can BS. If you go with this company look for a recruiter that has a niche in the area that you want...not that places every postion. Also, look for someone who has done your job. There is high turnover. Be careful.

RH is not the only scam going and a niche is not always a good indicator. MRI, no matter what office, since they are all individual partnerships under different names, has a lot of inexperienced "kids" cranking out phone calls. They tell you you have to give a reference and a W2 to proved that you are "committed" they flip the reference check into a sales call... cheep thing to do to a friend since the sales call is simply more references. It is a scam and a numbers game. the more calls they make the better ther chances of a placement. They really don't care about you, your career, or your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

dmaring in Liverpool, New York

88 months ago

I have found this organization to be completely useless. They haven't found me a thing and I have 14+ years of accounting experience.They are always trying to pawn off temp jobs on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Raleigh, North Carolina

88 months ago

have a Class C Misdemeanor, in which I "allegedly" dinged a car door in a parking lot. I was found guilty and fined $250 when I represented myself in court...if you were found guilty in a court of law, it is not allegedly anymore. You are the type of person trying to get a job...no wonder you are having issues.

As for the AIP - if you are going to lie - get it right. there is no 1-5, it is 1-3 with a letter. the letter is an A, B, or C and is simply letting people know the time frame - "A" are you out of work and can start immediate, "B" - Need two weeks, "C" - relocating or project ends in a month or more. The only visual is if you come in in shorts and flip-flops you get the 3...I just interviewed a 60 year QA analyst and placed him. Our clients - the actually company - has told us we want young or junior and we push back on that.

I am sure you heard about AIP somewhere, but if you did work at RH, then I see why you do not anymore. AIP is for Appearance (Suit, shaven, etc) Intelligence - how well do they know their skill/job Placeability - what kind of personality - outgoing, do you want to work in a specific envrionment or are you wide open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Past employee in Buffalo, New York

85 months ago

I am a former staffing manager, and I agree. We had a different definaition of AIP - Appearance,intelligence, and Personality

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Bham, Al in Atlanta, Georgia

22 months ago

Same thing happened to me and I'm over 40 too. Worked with them before and this was never an issue until now. Will sue.

Anonymous in Plano, Texas said: Robert Half is a joke and there's nothing I'd like better than to see them go out of business .

I went to RH last year to register for consulting and permanent job placement. They did a background check and I was never contacted about any issues. Fast forward to 2007, in which I consulted for them for 2 days. About a month later, I received a phone call from their office stating that they cannot assist me in seeking a perm position, nor can I contract out with them as a Consultant .

According to their Corporate Legal Department, it is because I have a criminal record. Why? I have a Class C Misdemeanor, in which I "allegedly" dinged a car door in a parking lot. I was found guilty and fined $250 when I represented myself in court . When I filled out their application I answered "yes" to the misdemeanor question and explained why. The ironic thing is this Class C Misdemeanor has never shown up on any background checks that have been performed on me.

I was told by their District Director that the only way their legal department will provide me any information is if I hire an attorney to contact them. When I asked the Director why it was never an issue until now, his response is "it must've slipped through the cracks".

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that because I'm over the age of 40, that this is another shoddy way of their legal deparment (almost 10 months later) of discriminating. I'm kind of suspect about how many people under the age of 40 with misdemeanors were placed by Robert Half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.