SAIC News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does SAIC stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

hoyahh! in Chesapeake, Virginia

90 months ago

Don't look for SAIC to go out of its way to help you once contracts have been cut. The contract manager sold me a bill of goods on a 5 year contract and it died after 2 years and do you think everyone was taken care of? No, some were, but a lot were left with nothing. From the top, the managers turned away and didn't make contact anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Disgruntled in Austin in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I was laid off after 2 years at SAIC. The contract was delayed because of incompetent project managment, but the perpetrators weren't let go; instead, 27 of us who did our jobs had to take the fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

very pissed in Columbia, Maryland

89 months ago

SAIC, does not know how to treat their contractors....The Project Manangers do not have a clue of what they are doing.

They will turn their backs on employees after contract has died, they will NOT help find another job.

SAIC uses it's contractors....and there are alot of morons that don't understand how to do their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cleared Engineer in Baltimore, Maryland

88 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

SAIC has laid off more than 300 good engineers in the last 8 months. They are not winning any business and are losing much of the business they had. Their reputation has been ruined by Trailblazer and Trilogy. I don't see them ever getting any major contracts again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Florida in Brooksville, Florida

87 months ago

I worked for SAIC for over 10 years. I was very pleased with working for them. Life was going good until I got on a contract that the customer did not like our senior management. The customer cancelled the contract. SAIC's answer to this was to give all of the 35 senior level people with clearences their pink slips. SAIC made lttte effort to help us find other positions within the company. I found another job with another company in two days and got a $20K pay boost.

SAIC is like most contractors... You are only covered until the end of a contract and then it's like looking for a job within your own company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry Andrew Huba in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

They are one of the largest government contrators, they will survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Florida in Brooksville, Florida

87 months ago

They will survive because they are an employee owned company. If there were stockholders out there, some of the people at SAIC wouldn't still be with the company. Only on a few occasions did I see SAIC fire a manager.

The other reason is they are liked by DoD even though they are dispised by DoJ.

The contract I was on that was cancelled was a DoJ contract. It was not Trilogy. But we caught the backlash from Trilogy. We did nothing wrong on our project, but DoJ showed it's displeasure with SAIC by cancelling our contract with one Friday afternoon without notice.

I'm still a memeber of the alumni and I do apply for SAIC positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Excluded from this in NE in Bellevue, Nebraska

87 months ago

Disgruntled in Austin in Austin, Texas said: I was laid off after 2 years at SAIC. The contract was delayed because of incompetent project managment, but the perpetrators weren't let go; instead, 27 of us who did our jobs had to take the fall.

Let me tell you this is universal. I worked for a large defense contractor for 5 years (typically 10+ hour days) and the local office hadn't produced any new business in 5 years. I'll give you a guess as to who is left working. Not the workers. To top it off, the managers in BD who have lost the work (and incumbent contracts) not only keep their jobs, but they got very generous raises. It will only be a matter of time before someone in the corporation catches on. Since the "bottom line" is involved, they have to. Too bad they weren't smart enough to catch on earlier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

xinuan in Newtonville, Massachusetts

76 months ago

The DOD/Government cannot continue to spend taxpayers dollars at the breakneck speed deployed by the Bush Administration and with little success in bringing Osama Bin Laden to Justice. At some point in time the American people are going to say we've had enough Future Combat Systems (FCS) and more future war games technology and rein in the DOD hard and by at least half of their current spending rate. At some point in time, someone within the government is going to look at the money spent to employ Governmnet Contractors. Currently every tax dollar collected on people from $0 to $100,000 income/year goes to a company like SAIC i.e Governmnet Contractor. How much fat do you suppose a company like SAIC has in each and every contract? I'll tell you from experience that I did the work of 5 other people and I've got the quantiative and qualitiative documentation to prove it. But fact is SAIC's business model is to disguise and inflate the work so they can hire more bodies. That's SAIC"s business model, not efficiency, not quality work at a fair price. So you tell me, when will the American people wake up and when will real change take place? It has to be soon because there are people in this country that are suffering and our elected officials will be required to pressure and to eliminate the non productive departments in government. And SAIC Makes it's big money with pie in the sky, vaporware projects. I predict SAIC's contract pipeline will get smaller.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

tomato in Sacramento, California

74 months ago

Even the newest hires in SAIC can see that almost every system in the company is broken. Making the paradigm shift to a public company has been difficult. I see a company that is struggling. "Thriving" is not a word I would use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Colorado Springs in Colorado Springs, Colorado

35 months ago

After 10 years of devotion to the company, I was given a layoff and basically forgotten about. I have now been unemployed for 9 months with nothing on the horizon. They don't care about their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.