Safeway Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Safeway?

What do you like best about working at Safeway? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonomous in Delta, British Columbia

92 months ago

Working at Slaveway sucks. You start at just above min. wage which the union dues take most of. There are 0 benifits, 0 discounts, and 0 perks to working there. The management for the most part sucks. You have to act really lame and fake to be appreciated. Don't do it! work somewhere else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (91) Reply - Report abuse

J P in Newberg, Oregon

91 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

walter taylor in Olympia, Washington

91 months ago

im seaching for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

bobbi in Winter Park, Florida

89 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Safeway?

What do you like best about working at Safeway? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

salaraly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Oakley in Antioch, California

87 months ago

Does anyone know what days Safeway recognizes as Safeway Holidays for their corporate employees? How much sick time do they offer corporate employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (137) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Oakley in Antioch, California

87 months ago

Has anyone ever worked for Blackhawk? Blackhawk is owned by Safeway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tiff in Alamo, California

85 months ago

My boyfriend has worked for Safeway for two years, the union dues are crazy, they charge you initiation fee when you start, and then again when you get a raise. He ended up getting behind and they charged him way too much. They do pay extra for sundays and they count your birthday as a holiday so they can pay well there but otherwise the union makes things difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

arcticprincess06 in Anchorage, Alaska

79 months ago

ok soo yesterday was my birthday...i didn't get any holiday and i've been there for almost two years and here in AK they dont do anything for their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

mwr0720@gmail.com in Anaheim, California

39 months ago

arcticprincess06 in Anchorage, Alaska said: ok soo yesterday was my birthday...i didn't get any holiday and i've been there for almost two years and here in AK they dont do anything for their employees.

Are you employed? Does your check clear every time? Do you risk life and limb each day you report for work and throughout the day? Probably not. Souunds like you've received a present. be greatful and stop complaining. Consider yourself lucky to be employed in this economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

Eminatyr in Onalaska, Washington

38 months ago

I've worked at a Safeway in Washington state for six months now. It's not that bad, we get time and 1/3 every Sunday, time and 1/2 every holiday, and a week's of paid vacation after you work there for a year. Of course, I'm still in high school and I have no bills, so it's a great job for me. I know most of my coworkers who are 25-50 kind of hate their lives working there, but if you're 16-25 it's a good paying job and a fun experience (:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JustUsHere in Georgetown, Texas

30 months ago

mwr0720@gmail.com in Anaheim, California said: Are you employed? Does your check clear every time? Do you risk life and limb each day you report for work and throughout the day? Probably not. Souunds like you've received a present. be greatful and stop complaining. Consider yourself lucky to be employed in this economy.

I hate to be rude, but your comment is idiotic. I do not work for Safeway, but if they are offering additional pay on birthdays and Sundays, it is completely reasonable to expect that to happen. What low expectations you seem to have for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

B in Gresham, Oregon

23 months ago

Safeway is a solid company to work for as long as you're able and willing to invest some time into the company. From someone who has nearly twenty years of work experience and had to take a retail job until I finally find a better oppertunity, here are the good and bad parts to working for Safeway:

GOOD:

Steady work: I lucked out and ended up at a store that is constantly busy, so my hours are steady - I average 30 hours per week.

Lots of oppertunities: there are new job openings posted quite often, both for in-store and "back stage" (office/Admin) positions. And yes, Safeway would rather hire internally than externally.

Union Benefits: yes, they can cost quite a bit to join, but once you have Union benefits you'll start earning a pension plan and you'll have better coverage than just about any other retail position will ever offer you.

BAD:

It's a Retail job: that means the starting wage is painfully low, you'll never have a set schedule, you'll work nights, weekends and all holidays and you have to deal with the public.

Seniority: it's hard to be the new kid on the block, especially when you encounter a store where people have been working there for ten years or longer. If you're stuck in a store like that, you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell in ever being assigned a weekend or holiday off at random. :\

There aren't any great perks or special treats for working for Safeway, except for a 10% discount on Safeway brand products. Sometimes you might have to travel if you're loaned out to another store. When I was loaned out to another store, if I had to drive for more than twenty miles one way, Safeway compensated me for gas mileage. Contact your HR Department and look into that if you're ever loaned out to another store (and Entry Level people are usually the ones to be loaned out, since we're dirt cheap labor).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Alliance, Nebraska

11 months ago

Anonomous in Delta, British Columbia said: Working at Slaveway sucks. You start at just above min. wage which the union dues take most of. There are 0 benifits, 0 discounts, and 0 perks to working there. The management for the most part sucks. You have to act really lame and fake to be appreciated. Don't do it! work somewhere else!

We'll i do have to say I am in management at Safeway I manage 2 departments alone. I did start out at min wage, but if you do your best and want to work and show your willing to do what ever to succeed in what your wanting out of the company then there is ALWAYS room to move up! Out of the whole time I've been working for Safeway I have seen plenty of people move up in happiness,wages and positions... There are just some people how complain about having a job and don't want to work due to being so lazy those people don't work out nor should we keep them around and there are people who are thankful for having a job and those are the ones who move up and are very happy and enjoy there job at Safeway! There are plenty of wonderful benefits for working for Safeway! The starting wage does suck but if willing to work and not be lazy and a complainer then you will move up and get better pay I speak with experience! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in San Jose, California

3 months ago

Tiff in Alamo, California said: My boyfriend has worked for Safeway for two years, the union dues are crazy, they charge you initiation fee when you start, and then again when you get a raise. He ended up getting behind and they charged him way too much. They do pay extra for sundays and they count your birthday as a holiday so they can pay well there but otherwise the union makes things difficult.

What is the entry fee and fee monthly in May, 2014? Any info? Can be out of union, but to work in Safeway?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee1981 in Rohnert Park, California

3 months ago

If you do not join the union they will let you go before your probation is up. Union dues vary depending on your rate of pay and position. As a department manager my weekly dues are about $10 a week, which just automatically come out. Initiation fees are a couple hundred, I'm not sure what they are currently. I was hired in the union in 2000, so I'm sure it's different now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Everett, Washington

1 month ago

I have been working for Safeway for over 3 years. One thing is you start out roughly $.10 over minimum wage. You can get medical but its not very good and you pay a lot out of our check. You have to pay Union Dues which takes a good amount weekly. We get paid weekly. For Checkers its hard to get hours even if you've been there for a long time. Checkers can also can do other things to get hours, but hours are limited, but they get raises and can make pretty decent amount of money per hour. Courtesy Clerks weren't given raises until the new contract at the end of last year. Courtesy Clerks have a lot of things they have to do, but don't get the credit they deserve. There are many departments through out the store. I believe Safeway is a good starting place for people going to school or looking for a better job, or high school students. Good Luck hope this information helps someone. Have a wonderful day =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.