Sears Auto Centers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Borninabarn in Des Moines, Iowa

90 months ago

What can any of you tell me about working for Sears Auto Centers? or your Experience as a customer at a Sears Auto Center?If you work there what kind of pay are you getting?I am 43 years old and have been around the automotive field with 30 years experience.I applied at a store in Iowa and the most they want to pay is $7.50Hr plus 22% commission.I guess thats why they dont have any real Techs?Just wondering.Born

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MGM4706 in Burnsville, Minnesota

89 months ago

Always had GREAT results from Sears Auto. Fair price good work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

GM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

So about how much an hour did you usually make there as a tech 1? They said I would make atleast 10 an hour are they just blowing smoke?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

david in ky

87 months ago

Tech 1 pay is pretty good considering their responsibilities.A T1 at a hopping store with good salesman can bust 10 bucks an hour easily.I average about 14 an hour as a T3 and our business is off considerably from the old days.the key to a good paycheck is a fast tech,good counter guys and bodies in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thanks David. I just got all of my pre-hire/online training done whew that took awhile. Anyone looking at going into this be prepared for it to take a couple weeks I quit my previous job right away when I got hired and that was a mistake.

Everyone so far has taken real good care of me, shown me how to do things and got me whatever I needed. It has been slow the last couple days which is making me nervous, but everyone seems mad that its slow so at least its not normal.

Im going to T1 school 1st week of July. For anyone interested ill be sure to follow up on this in a month or so after I get settled and figure out what its really like.

Anyone else who has some experiences feel free to add them. I am on the fence right now because I have never worked off of commission and I feel like im not ever going to make any money but we will see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

david in ky

87 months ago

undefined said: null

Stick it out dude.Get your elearning in.You'll probably be a cash cow for the other techs while youre on training pay because they sign off on your work but it'll feelgood when you get to put the money in your own pocket.Learn what you can about the T2's job.They make a killing without having to worry about brakes,which dont pay enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shawn

87 months ago

wow cant say its that bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jay R

87 months ago

I work for sears and medonalds does that answer your question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Bentleyville, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

my boyfriend works part time at sears automotive as a t1, they make him work every holiday and every saturday, and he makes 5.50 an hour plus commision and he said they work your butt off. And if you dont sale certain stuff they tell you they will give you two weeks to pick it up and if not they will let you go. He sold the most in a month 3.000 in one day and they told him it still was not good enough because he was selling to sell, in stead of selling packages which the people dont want. i am looking for other work because sears makes you think you will make good money there and you dont.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Back with my report, I didn’t last long I hated it. When your busy your crushed and cant do anything fast enough and when your slow its painful your stuck doing busy work and with the pay what it is you are basically wasting your life. My store was not busy enough for me to make decent money and honestly even if we would have been busy I wouldn’t have liked it. I didn’t like the hours and days I worked I would rather just know that im working from 7-4 m-f. The discount was a joke. You never know how much money your gonna make almost no one got overtime. You do alot of work for not alot of money. I just really didn’t like it, now im working construction I know my hours and about how much money Im gonna make every week, im more comfortable, and work is interesting.

Something I noticed was everyone in the shop was either over 45 or under 25 no in betweens. The old guys were always telling stories of when sears use to be a great company to work for, there was lots of help if you were there to change tires and oil that’s all you did someone else brought you the tires, someone else was in charge of cleaning up the shop, it was a well oiled machine. They told stories about nice Christmas parties and turkeys on thanksgiving, none of that happens anymore. They were always busy now I spent half of my day sweeping and watching the clock. Im not jealous or mad that they got parties or turkeys or even that they had to do less work im just pointing out that sears can afford those benefits now because they arnt busy enough. There arnt any of those 30-40 year old guys there because they cant make a living anymore there just isn’t enough business, the kids are only there because they are kids and the old guys are there because they have a lot of years in an im sure are making nice money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

If you are looking to become a t1 make sure you really want to do it. Doing about the same amount of work now I make way more money and im at home or at the pool while I still would have been working goofy hours at sears. Look at how much money your going to make and don’t listen to the manager ask one of the t1s, the hours your going to work, how much work your going to do, and ask your self if its worth it. I would rather wait tables or work construction and make some real money, but even working an 8/hr office job would be way easier make just as much money (maybe more) it may be a little boring but the auto center isn’t exactly party central its pretty repetitive and boring also. Oh and don’t think your going to go in and get to work with a mechanic and learn something you will surely be busy sweeping when your not changing tires or oil and they don’t really do a lot of work there anyway mostly alignments inspections that kind of stuff. I would never advise working at a chain like sears for someone looking to start a career. Go work for a dealer or shop if your going to do this kind of work at least there they might want to put some time into educating you and keeping you.

Best
GM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Tallahassee, Florida

54 months ago

Borninabarn in Des Moines, Iowa said: What can any of you tell me about working for Sears Auto Centers? or your Experience as a customer at a Sears Auto Center?If you work there what kind of pay are you getting?I am 43 years old and have been around the automotive field with 30 years experience.I applied at a store in Iowa and the most they want to pay is $7.50Hr plus 22% commission.I guess thats why they dont have any real Techs?Just wondering.Born

My fiance worked at a Sears Auto Center for about 4 months and it was a rollercoaster from the beginning. He loved working as a Technician 1. He worked extremely hard and the pay was not awesome, but it brought in on average $1500 a month and that was plenty to pay the bills, so no complaints. Then he got the chance to become a CSA on commissions and that is where everything went downhill. He worked ridiculously hard for a minimum pay and it was never consistent. He was the lead salesman bringing in 3 times what the next CSA brought in, but that was never enough as the commissions never reflected his performance, only the overall sales. On a slow day, he made 5.00/hr and maybe $50 in commissions, so only about $100 for a full 8 hour work day. A good day was around $200 in commissions, but that only happened when business was booming and he came home ready to pass out from working so excessively. Then things got worse. He was required by law and company policy to take his lunch within the first 5 hours of work, yet he would be scheduled as the only CSA for the first 6 hours of his day which means no lunch without leaving the front unattended (i.e. he got no break), which eventually he was written up for. Add in the public verbal assaults his manager put him through and this was a recipe for disaster. His manager cussed him out in front of customers and employees on a regular basis, completely disrespecting him. Needless to say, he quit without notice with my full support. Avoid this company at all costs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

WilmaVW in Frisco, Texas

53 months ago

I have had many jobs with many companies and I find that in almost all cases good management is just hard to find. I have worked for some great companies with very crappy management and I have worked for crappy companies with terrific management. My husband was recently offered a T1 job with Sears and we have been debating whether he should take it. Are the problems with management just rampant throughout the company, or could it be that these were some of the great many "bad apples"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Jacksonville, Florida

53 months ago

WilmaVW in Frisco, Texas said: I have had many jobs with many companies and I find that in almost all cases good management is just hard to find. I have worked for some great companies with very crappy management and I have worked for crappy companies with terrific management. My husband was recently offered a T1 job with Sears and we have been debating whether he should take it. Are the problems with management just rampant throughout the company, or could it be that these were some of the great many "bad apples"?

From what I can tell it is rampant throughout! Sears just has a bad habit of standing behind the bottom line instead of their employees. Anytime it comes to supporting their employee, they only care about what is going to cost them more in the long run, sometimes that means throwing away employees that could really make a difference. If your husband is being offered a T1 position, just know he is going to work extremely hard for not so great pay. He is better off finding a mom & pop store that will invest in him and pay him what he is worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Manchester, Maryland

36 months ago

I actually work for Sears in the Auto Center and am disappointed to read some of these comments. The general theme seems to be that people feel that they have to work too hard for the money. A tech 1 position is an entry level position and anyone wanting to break into any career field should expect to work hard for their money. Sears has a great training program and advancement is up to the individual and is self paced. If you only want to work from 7-4 M-F then apply for a job that is open from 7-4 M-F not one that is open seven days a week from 8- 9. Sears does take care of Sears. If they continued to give out turkeys etc. then they would not be acting responsibly as far as their share holders are concerned. I would like to see them become more employee oriented in the future but right now the company must survive for the employees to have jobs. These are tough times. It does sound like there are some bad managers out there though and this should be addressed with their district managers. Just quitting doesn't fix the problem for you or the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Deano in Columbus, Indiana

23 months ago

I just started at sears auto a few months ago. No the pay isnt great, but the training is free ! yes you have to pay for your gas and food up front, but they do pay you back for it. I just got back from lousivile, ky today after 4 days of alingment training, Sears paid for the hotel and will pay me back for the gas and food(food being up about $20 a day, hotel had a free breakfast). I worked a factory for many years and got decent pay, but the place was all ways "hard to work for" then that factory closed on me and i went back into another factory, that just ,,, well pay was bad, hard work, long hours and lots a bull dung ! Then i went to work for Sears, and i am ok with it, works not that hard, but it can be some times, free training, and no you dont get but a couple of holidays off,,, but if it doesnt work at least i got some real good (free) training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Physcinacians in Kansas City, Kansas

12 months ago

This is what they do for store positions but I'm betting its the same for auto centers Its a typical tactic they do to try and get you interested. Usually it means there interested in you and will hire you. I've heard countless stories with 2 scenarios the manager tells them its base + commission say its 4.50 and base but sell it by telling associates that they really make 15 to 20 dollars an hour, or the manager tells them half the story saying they'll make 15 to 20 dollars an hour. Now as far as your pay not sure how that works in the auto center part but I know at store level they have to give you whats called a min wage adjustment but you can't get too many of those and expect to keep your job.

I can tell you that Sears Auto has a very bad reputation. And you feel more like a sales person throwing pitches than you do a mechanic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.