Do not apply online for a Sears position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Wontbdefeated in Maine

80 months ago

Having found the HR department, I waited for someone, anyone, in charge of interviewing. The same lady with the walkie talkie came back and saw me still standing there and she radioed for some manager to come to the back.

10 minutes later, a woman who claimed she was a manager asked me what she could do for me. I told her that I was there for a 10am interview. She told me to go have a seat out in the waiting room which acted also as the merchandise pick up area.

4 minutes another womans opens this door and asks me whom I'm hear to see. I told her that I had a 10am interview for the merchandise pricing associate position. She replies, "Did we call you?" I told her that I applied online and I was given a confirmation for an interview. She told me to hold on. 2 minutes later, she returns and tells me that the manager is all book up for today and that I would have to come back another day. She starts running off days and times.

Are you serious? Why couldn't the manager who was supposed to interview me come out and explain the situation to me rather than relay the message to someone who could careless if I come back or not? I explained to the lady, I have other job interviews and I would not be able to come on the dates she was running off to me. She replied, "I'll give you a number and you call us when you're ready to come in for an interview." She then replied, "You know this job requires that you be here sometimes at 5am and sometimes you will have to work on Sundays." I replied, "I'm well aware of the job requirements, the times and days and I do not have a problem with meeting those expectations." She wrote down a number and gave me a paper with no contact name on the paper.

Now, I'm an educated black female. I have a Bachelor degree and I graduate in 10 months with my Master degree in Accounting and Finance. 2B continued.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Wontbdefeated in Maine

80 months ago

I have 2 years of experience in retail marketing and the only reason I applied for this position with SEARS is because I'm interested in becoming a merchandise planner or retail financial analyst. SEARS has a program for graduate students and I thought if I was an employee of SEARS, then they would see first hand how I worked and what my qualifications are.

Nevertheless, this is the most unprofessional situation I've been in since I've graduated from undergraduate school. In business school, I've had at least 2 classes on leadership and had I been the manager in this situation, I would have made it a point to meet with the person scheduled for an interview myself rather than relay the message through another person. To walk into a firm or company unannounced is one issue, to have a confirmed appointment is another issue.

Corporate was no help to me as I called them once I returned home to inform them of this situation. She simply told me that the computer schedules times without the managers awareness and that explains the behavior of the manager. She informed that since the manager tried to give me another date and time that there wasn't anything she could do and that she is sorry for the situation.

I wasn't looking for her to call the manager and fire the manager. My point was to inform them that their automated computer system should be taken care of and that this is very unprofessional for a corporation as large as SEARS. Of course the managers behavior was more than to be desired, however, the situation left me feeling as if I walked in off the street and asked for a interview on the spot.

Thus, it is my opinion to others out there that this situation could happen to them. Until SEARS corrects their automated computer system, you may experience the same situation I have.

As for SEARS, I won't be applying for anymore position online. In fact the only way I will apply for a position is through a career seminar or if someone calls me directly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

madxpinklady in Wooster, Ohio

80 months ago

That same exact thing happened to me just yesterday. I applied online, got my interview time and drove 35 miles to the mall that I was supposed to go to. Finally the woman who had directed me to the HR office came back to where I was standing for like ten minutes said that there wasn't anyone there to pull up my application and do my interview. She said there was a girl back there who dealt with the sales associates is new and she's never pulled an application before so that I would have to call back the next day to arrange an interview. I told her about the email confirmation online and her response was something to the effect of, "Sometimes we may not always do what it says online." I wish I would have gotten her name because, believe me, I've been looking around the 'net for some place to complain. In addition to that: I call the phone number from my confirmation email to hopefully set up an interview. The woman answers the phone: "Yes?" That is the most improper way to answer the phone obviously. And I was like, "Hello?" And she's like, "Yes?" And I asked her if this Sears and she said yes it was. I told her about an interview and she stated that they "are not even open yet and HR doesn't open until 10". Luckily, I did get this woman's name. I agree with you, I really don't I want to be working with people like this. The professionalism of this particular Sears is absolutely appalling!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kristyn Goodell in Cabin Creek, West Virginia

78 months ago

I think the best way to apply for Sears is to go to the store itself and use the application computer, and try to speak with any available office associate while you are there, that's your best chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Hawkinsmhall

78 months ago

You all are exactly right, their interviewing process is a joke. I worked for the corporate department and I would visit stores and see people waiting for someone to interview them based on the online application time. The machine would generate a time and either no one is available to interview you or they are just too busy and don't have the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jaysiree in Hollywood, Florida

77 months ago

I had 2 interviews in sears on tuesday, one with the jewelry dept manager and the store manager, the interviews went fine they sent me to do the drug test.now I have to wait a week until they call me. one thing I got the inteviews cause my cousin's wife works in sears and she is the brand central manager, and one of the main managers of the store ( she after the operation manager)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

she in Atascadero, California

74 months ago

Funny..the same thing happened to me the other day. The interviewing manager was not there when I arrived for my interview. She had gone home for a break...even though my name was written very large on their interview board for a 10AM interview. So I was instructed to come back later that day which I did. They have hired me, but now I read all these Sears horror stories online, hopefully I won't quit the first week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

advise in bluffton, South Carolina

74 months ago

she in Atascadero, California said: Funny..the same thing happened to me the other day. The interviewing manager was not there when I arrived for my interview. She had gone home for a break...even though my name was written very large on their interview board for a 10AM interview. So I was instructed to come back later that day which I did. They have hired me, but now I read all these Sears horror stories online, hopefully I won't quit the first week.

I had an interview appointment in Myrtle Beach SC and apon arrival the HR Dept.
was completely unaware of what was going on much less having any job openings.As.
a former Sears employee from anpther state I was shocked at the way things were handled.I emailed corporate and complained.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Jenny in Racine, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Wow... I guess I got extremely lucky with my online application experience.
I applied online a week ago. The same day I applied I got a call from Sears telling me the manager who would be interviewing me wasn't available for the day I had set my appointment up for. So I had to move it to a couple days later, which my interview was 2 days ago. I went it and right away the manager brought me back for my interview. When it was all done, she told me I'd be contacted next week.
They called me back 2 hours after I left and asked me to come back in the next day, yesterday, for a second interview. I went in yesterday and they hired me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shamu in bellevue, Nebraska

73 months ago

Same thing happened to me the first time I interveiwed. No one knew I was supposed to even be there, then they went ahead after making me wait for a while and interveiwed me. Only to tell me that the job I applied for was no longer open and that the only thing available for me to be hired for required hours that I wasnt able to work. Well I re-applied a year later and was hired for(once again) a different position than I applied for. Now Im supposedly suppose to be part time but Im working 40 hours a week and every weekend since I started. Even though it says that Im not available on the Sundays, I have yet to have a Sunday off. Im sorry but if I had to do this over again I wouldnt apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California

40 months ago

Hey, ya all, I've been in retail for over 28 years. For whatever it's worth, these kinds of scenarios are very common across the industry. And so many other industries. It's sad. It's human nature. Get used to it and try to be an example and not become like them. Best wishes to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

terryb101 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

34 months ago

i applied instore, and was given an interview date and time, went to the store and was told the manager was busy and couldnt do the interview that day, they would call me with another date for the interview, waited 2 days and called them back, they said they would check into it and give me a call, 2 weeks later i called back and got the same routine. that was 3 days ago still havent heard from them..they appear to not care about people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Reseda, California

18 months ago

Sears sucks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tun lin aung in Eureka, California

16 months ago

I have an interview tomorrow. Should I go or not..? :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unexicited In Desert Hot Springs,CA

15 months ago

I went in to interview for a position in April 2013 after being called in for an interview by the human resources manager and the interview went great and at the end she discussed the hours and what my position would entail . So after the interview she had me resubmit my application at their computer center cause some how she had not received my personality screening so I resent the application and everything was fine. A few days later I received an employment offer in an email and was excited to accept the offer and submitted my response and the next day I logged in on the sears hiring website and saw my offer summary which had said that I accepted. The next day she called me and congratulated me on accepting my offer and said she would be sending me a link to the online paperwork that I needed to fill out In order for me to start the hiring process. I then recieved the link and logged in and the link was blank with no html or attached documents containing the paperwork and all that showed was the offer summary. So I called Human resources and told them about this problem and was informed that they had changed the website recently and that it was an error so they sent me another link and it still had no attachment on it basically b Over the next two months I had various conversations and was sent thesa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

(Continued ) sent the same blank link about 10 times and the human resource manager kept telling me that there was nothing wrong with the link and that they didn't know why the link that was sent over and over was blank. So the human resource manager had me come in person and use their computer to see what the problem was I was so happy cause she can finally see what I see which is no attached paperwork and a BLANK link !. She then sent me several of the same links and personally saw that the links were all BLANK and I'm not crazy. She then told me that they were maybe doing so more background checking ( WTF!) And that she would try and send me another link and that she's never had this problem when hiring someone before. I was at my wits end! yes I needed to be patient and wait for these idiots to do their job but it had been over 2 months since the offer was laid out on the table and I really needed this position ASAP as I have bills to pay . After much consideration I decided to seek out other companies and put in as many applications as possible because I needed to start making money. The hr manager said she would give me a call and after a week I had heard NOTHING! So, I called her and she sent me another woop de doo BLANK link and I then called her immediately and informed her the link was still blank and she said she send me another one and give me a call the next day. After that I NEVER heard from her no email, call or at least an explanation stating that they were revoking their offer but unfortunately NOTHING!. I have never been so screwed over in my life as I have bills to pay and this prolonged hiring process put me in a tough predicament. I will be filing a complaint with corporate and am currently working for a reputable, decent and great company luckily however, I can't imagine how they could do this to someone knowing that their unemployed and fyi I tried the link on various browsers, computers and locations and it was still blank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Sears human resources is a complete mess and to the lady who screwed me the Lord said reap the seeds that you sow. Also, sry about the multiple replies and typos my phone has a small keyboard so its hard to type and I'm kinda blind and am not wearing my glasses lol. Never trust a snake with lipstick no matter how well mannered it seems it will bite you as it is a snake!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KennethGTerral in Novato, California

14 months ago

Wow is all I can say!

Sounds like working for Sears is a nightmare. I applied online at Careerbuilder, got an email congratulating me, and a invitation to attend a job fair. I was also asked to take an online assessment. I was rejected, No explanation given. The online assessment was multiple choice, very subjective, situational ethics type questions. I've taken a few online assessments over the years. I know how to answer them. I know their purpose. The company uses these assessments to see if you be a good corporate fit. They want to know if you're a honest, ethical person. I get it. What I don't get is why I was rejected. Their loss, not mine. The position was for a Appliance Repair Technician. They said I could retake the test in 6 months. What is the point of that? My answers would still be the same, and I would be rejected again.

C-Ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Why Bother Lying to People in Saint Louis, Missouri

7 months ago

I received a call from a person whom stated she was a human resource recruiter, well first of all, she did not introduce herself, she gave me a date and time when to meet but never mentioned the location. I just so happen to make sure of myself and ask where should I meet for the interview. The day of the interview I was eager and ready, but it seems when she seen that I was a minority her attitude was not caring, she was very quick and simple, not interested at all, informed me of what was needed for the job as if I was going to get the position, knowing in her mind I was not all along, it is so unprofessional to waste people time and effort when you know you're mind is already made up by judgement. I would not care to work for a company with so much judgement anyhow, I am better than this, their loss, will be another companies gain. Oh, and they don't return calls, etc. Sears just leaves you hanging not knowing and without an explanation, sad, sad .......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.