How to get a job at Sony Music Entertainment.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Do you work at Sony Music Entertainment? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Dawn Roberts in New York, New York

61 months ago

I don't believe it's worthwhile to go through the online application system. I am experienced in the music business, having worked at all of Sony's competitors. I was a fit for several jobs they've posted, but have never been contacted by HR. The route I go through is networking, I know people who work there, and f I am interested in something posted I contact friends and have them forward my info to the hiring manager. My opinion after 8 months of searching is that personal networking is the ONLY way to get on a hiring manager's radar. I hope that my comments prove helpful to someone out there who is slaving over cover letters, and feeling disappointed that no one ever seems to respond.

Sign up on linkedin.com and get some endorsements from former manager and colleagues. Then when a job comes up search people who work at Sony, and email that person asking if they are willing to help you out. This has worked for me, even with complete strangers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol FA in Sydney, Australia

56 months ago

Hi Dawn,

I found your comment very helpful, as I am one of those people who are slaving over cover letters. I want to get a job in the marketing department of a record company (preferably at Sony Music Australia) but have no previous experience in the music industry. However, I do have a bachelor degree in Business/Marketing, 5 years experience in the area and I know a few renowned local musicians.

I am on Linkedin.com and, since reading your comment, I have found a few people that work or have worked at Sony Australia. Before I contact them, I would like to know if you can give me an example of an email that you would send to one of them asking for their help. I’m not used to contacting complete strangers and asking for such a huge favor…. I guess I’m already doing it in this post to you… :0)

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

accounts payable in Franklin, Tennessee

46 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Sony Music Entertainment? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I sent my resume online around the first of September and have not heard anything back from the HR person. I applied for the accounts payable position in Franklin,TN. I have had at least 20 years experience of accounts payable. I do like christian music very much.
Please email me and let me know if this position has been filled. I would like very much to work at Sony Music and I am a very dependable person.
Thank you.
Cheryl Carpenter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ramirez368 in North Hollywood, California

40 months ago

It is true..specially in a such big company as Sony,if you don't know somebody there the chances to get even a interview are very slim...I'm in the audio field with experience...but never got a e-mail or anything after applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gobiwinds in Lakebay, Washington

30 months ago

I found a job at Sony Pictures using <a href="www.mediabizjobs.com">Entertainment Jobs</a> this site. I joined and within a couple weeks got my interview and couple weeks after that I got hired.

asil29 in New York, New York

30 months ago

I work at Sony Music in NYC and I applied online and got a call about a week later. They actually do hire from the website just as much as they hire from within. There are a lot of people that apply to the jobs and a lit of them have experience, so you need to be a great fit for the job description. For example, if 100 people apply to a job online, maybe 20 or 30 of those resumes actually make it past HR and to the hiring manager. Maybe 10 will actually get an interview. AND even if you are hired from within, you still apply on the website. There are people that do get hired because of who they know, but that happens at every company.

Most people that get the jobs have prior label experience or have interned at a label. Some of them majored in some sort of music field in college. Knowing local artists doesn't get you ahead. Everyone knows the local artists. If you want to be in A&R, don't waste your time. No one moves from that dept.

Sony Australia is a very small company which is why you might be having trouble getting in there. A lot of people there (and at all the Sony locations) hire people that were temps. Find out their local temp agency that provides them with people and apply there. Most temps quit or don't work out so you have a good chance if you try to do that and then do a good job once you get the temp job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca0630 in Richmond, Indiana

27 months ago

I applied for a college and lifestyle marketing rep position several weeks ago and have not heard anything back. I called and spoke with someone in HR who just said they will look over your application and contact you if you meet qualifications.
Well, I have attended college for music business and technology, interned at a music company, and have experience in both music and non-music marketing. I am thinking that maybe having inside connections will get you the job or at least get your application to the hiring manager for an interview. I would love to know the email address for someone to contact like Dawn said, and what would you say to them to ask for their help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OJOHNSON906 in Newark, New Jersey

8 months ago

Dawn Roberts in New York, New York said: I don't believe it's worthwhile to go through the online application system. I am experienced in the music business , having worked at all of Sony's competitors. I was a fit for several jobs they've posted, but have never been contacted by HR . The route I go through is networking, I know people who work there, and f I am interested in something posted I contact friends and have them forward my info to the hiring manager. My opinion after 8 months of searching is that personal networking is the ONLY way to get on a hiring manager's radar. I hope that my comments prove helpful to someone out there who is slaving over cover letters, and feeling disappointed that no one ever seems to respond.

Sign up on linkedin.com and get some endorsements from former manager and colleagues. Then when a job comes up search people who work at Sony, and email that person asking if they are willing to help you out. This has worked for me, even with complete strangers.

HELLO DAWN, IM EXPERIENCED IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY THROUGH INTERNSHIPS AT VARIOUS LABELS. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH NETWORKING AND PUTTING IN THE FOOTWORK THAT'S NECESSARY TO HAVE A SHOT AT A POSITION. PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW WHERE THE BUILDING IS LOCATED IN NYC TO GO TO THEIR OFFICES MYSELF AND DO WHAT I HAVE TO DO. IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE THAT YOU CAN LET ME KNOW THE AREA OR SPECIFIC LOCATION OF THE OFFICES SO THAT I CAN POSSIBLY SPEAK TO WHO I NEED TO SPEAK TO IN ORDER TO LAND A SHOT AT THE JOB? THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE BY THE WAY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mrequix in Jersey City, New Jersey

1 month ago

I'm looking to work for Sony Music. Can you please help me out to get my foot in the door. I'm currently unemployed. any advise and/or help is much appreicated.
Thanks

asil29 in New York, New York said: I work at Sony Music in NYC and I applied online and got a call about a week later. They actually do hire from the website just as much as they hire from within. There are a lot of people that apply to the jobs and a lit of them have experience, so you need to be a great fit for the job description. For example, if 100 people apply to a job online, maybe 20 or 30 of those resumes actually make it past HR and to the hiring manager. Maybe 10 will actually get an interview. AND even if you are hired from within, you still apply on the website. There are people that do get hired because of who they know, but that happens at every company.

Most people that get the jobs have prior label experience or have interned at a label. Some of them majored in some sort of music field in college . Knowing local artists doesn't get you ahead. Everyone knows the local artists. If you want to be in A&R, don't waste your time. No one moves from that dept.

Sony Australia is a very small company which is why you might be having trouble getting in there. A lot of people there (and at all the Sony locations) hire people that were temps. Find out their local temp agency that provides them with people and apply there. Most temps quit or don't work out so you have a good chance if you try to do that and then do a good job once you get the temp job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.