**Southwest Benefits**

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California

46 months ago

Do southwest employees get discounts on other airline carriers to fly International (Since they dont fly International? What about Domestic (example they dont fly to memphis and I dont want to fly into Nashville can I fly on a different carrier for cheap?) If so about how much does the ticket come to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jybrd607 in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Do southwest employees get discounts on other airline carriers to fly International (Since they dont fly International? What about Domestic (example they dont fly to memphis and I dont want to fly into Nashville can I fly on a different carrier for cheap?) If so about how much does the ticket come to?

My understanding is that Southwest Employees do get discounts on other airlines dosmetically and internationally. If you work for Southwest and have flight benefits you should be able to get an ID-90 on most other carries, fly free dosmetically by completing an open cabin seat(jumpseat) form. I use to fly on Southwest for nothing with one carrier and then I had to start getting ID-90s which ran about $30 each way dosmetically. As far as other airlines. Go to the Southwest ticket counter and ask. General those agents are awesome and can tell you exactly what you need to do to get on another carrier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Southwest employees get free unlimited travel on Southwest airlines, as well as their spouse, parents, and children. It's super simple. All you have to do is log on to the employee website and make a flight listing for yourself or who ever is flying. Then you simply show up to the airport with your company ID, get on the plane and fly. You can do that as many times as you want to anywhere Southwest flies.

Southwest employees also receive ID and ZED discounts on other airline travel. The ZEDs are the better option of the two. They're a low flat rate based on distance. The ZED discount can vary depending on which level of agreement the carrier has with Southwest. There are low, medium, and high ZED agreements. Southwest has ZED low with United, Alaska, and JetBlue, and Zed Medium with just about every other airline out there.. An example of a ZED low fare would be $19-$90. The distance of the flight is what determines where in that price range you would pay. An example of a ZED medium fare would be $29-$111. There are some small taxes that you have to pay for international and such. As you can see though, it's cheap. I've flown Chicago-Tokyo for $289 round trip on a ZED with JAL (United). That ticket had I purchased it, would cost about $1,400. ZED tickets are fully refundable if not used and are flexible (able to be used on other carriers flying the same route). When you work at Southwest, you simply call the pass bureau (internal department who handles employee travel) and tell then that you'd like to purchase a ZED on X airline to X destination. They will then payroll deduct the cost of the pass from your paycheck and FedEx the ticket to your house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Have Southwest and Air Trans merged yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Oh and thanks to the both of you for answering my 1st question in detail!! I got offered a job and Im excited! Only thing now they say I have to clear backround & drug testing. I wished they wouldnt say you have the job then say well only after backround,finger print and drug testing. the suspense is killing me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Have Southwest and Air Trans merged yet?

The merger has not happened yet. It will likely not be completed until some time in 2011.

[QUOTE]Oh and thanks to the both of you for answering my 1st question in detail!! I got offered a job and Im excited! Only thing now they say I have to clear backround & drug testing. I wished they wouldnt say you have the job then say well only after backround,finger print and drug testing. the suspense is killing me!

Well essentially you are hired. Southwest has determined that they're going to offer you the job assuming the drug and background check come back clean. Flight benefits will be effective immediately. As soon as you're issued your Southwest employee ID card you will be eligible for nonrev travel on Southwest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Thanks Again John now all you have to due is keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Ok one more technical question for you. I know parents fly free correct, do they mean my parents (mom & dad what if I have step parents?) also what about my husbands parents?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Thanks Again John now all you have to due is keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Ok one more technical question for you. I know parents fly free correct, do they mean my parents (mom & dad what if I have step parents?) also what about my husbands parents?

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that you can declare a step parent for the flight benefits but it would be in liu of your regular parent. You get 2 parents, how ever you decide to arrange it. Your spouse will have the benefits, but NOT his parents.

BUT,.. I did leave one major thing out of the equation. Southwest employees receive 16 round trip (or 32 one way) buddy passes per year. These are flight passes that are issued to you but can be given to anyone for travel. You get 4 every quarter (every 3 months). These are free and have no restrictions. You can use the buddy passes to give to anyone not covered under your benefits. Your friends, neighbors, coworkers, mail man, who ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

That's totally aswome! Im loving it already!! My mom is already visioning herself on vacation..lol. Im sure they also get nice perks with rental cars,cruises, etc. right??

Dang, I got hired with American Airlines years ago but couldnt go to the training because i had another job at the time i wish i would have kept the information on the different airline codes like ATL (atlanta) LAX (la) I want to study now so if i am selected ill have remembered at least these.

46 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: That's totally aswome! Im loving it already!! My mom is already visioning herself on vacation..lol. Im sure they also get nice perks with rental cars,cruises, etc. right??

Dang, I got hired with American Airlines years ago but couldnt go to the training because i had another job at the time i wish i would have kept the information on the different airline codes like ATL (atlanta) LAX (la) I want to study now so if i am selected ill have remembered at least these.

Yep, there are airline employee rates on hotels and rental cars as well. There's a whole travel sub industry based on airline employee travel. Things like perx.com, gozed.com, interliner.com. There's rates on cruises, all inclusive resorts in mexico, caribean etc.. It's pretty great. If you like to vacation, this is a good job to have..

What position are you getting hired for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Customer Service Agent in LAX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Do you have to know all the domectic and international airline codes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Do you have to know all the domectic and international airline codes?

Yeah, you'll have to learn all of the city codes that concern Southwest. There are roughly 70, and it's expected to grow by another 50 when we start airtran's cities. It's not as big of a task to learn them as you'd think. Buy some index cards from the drug store and put the city on one side and the code on the other. Use them as flash cards and have someone help you learn. When I was a kid my mom was a flight attendant and when she would go through her training I used to help her. As a result I learned pretty much all of them as well. It's all part of what's going to be a pretty extensive training process. You're going to be sent to Dallas for a couple week do a lot of training and you'll also get a lot of hands on training at your local station. It's a good idea to start learning the codes now though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Where can I find a list of these codes? I tried a search on the internet but nothing came up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fromthe757 in Norfolk, Virginia

46 months ago

Here are the Southwest Airlines airport codes (69 cities in 35 states).
Link (copy and paste this): bit.ly/fAEQ7y

Do you have a start date yet sunshine3200?

46 months ago

Thanks. No start date yet..Just looking to get myself prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Hey can employees fly first class for free? or at least a discount?

46 months ago

Southwest has no first class. If your talking about flying other airlines, it's sort of luck of the draw. A ZED or ID ticket by default typically gets you an economy seat, but being upgraded is VERY common. I used to fly on United buddy passes when I was a kid (knew someone who worked at United) and I can remember getting seated in first class on many occasions. It's just a matter of getting a nice gate agent at the time of checking in. Flying Delta on an international flight will give you a greater chance than not of being upgraded. For flights overseas, first class is so prohibitively priced (thousands of dollars) that the front typically goes out empty. Airline employees simply are placed in any seats that go empty, and in some cases the ONLY empty seats on some flights are first class. You would think that airlines would bother to upgrade fare paying passengers to those seats, but I guess it's the airline industry's dirty little secret. Airline employees fly first for free very frequently..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Southwest employees get free unlimited travel on Southwest airlines, as well as their spouse, parents, and children. It's super simple. All you have to do is log on to the employee website and make a flight listing for yourself or who ever is flying. Then you simply show up to the airport with your company ID, get on the plane and fly. You can do that as many times as you want to anywhere Southwest flies.

Southwest employees also receive ID and ZED discounts on other airline travel. The ZEDs are the better option of the two. They're a low flat rate based on distance. The ZED discount can vary depending on which level of agreement the carrier has with Southwest. There are low, medium, and high ZED agreements. Southwest has ZED low with United, Alaska, and JetBlue, and Zed Medium with just about every other airline out there.. An example of a ZED low fare would be $19-$90. The distance of the flight is what determines where in that price range you would pay. An example of a ZED medium fare would be $29-$111. There are some small taxes that you have to pay for international and such. As you can see though, it's cheap. I've flown Chicago-Tokyo for $289 round trip on a ZED with JAL (United). That ticket had I purchased it, would cost about $1,400. ZED tickets are fully refundable if not used and are flexible (able to be used on other carriers flying the same route). When you work at Southwest, you simply call the pass bureau (internal department who handles employee travel) and tell then that you'd like to purchase a ZED on X airline to X destination. They will then payroll deduct the cost of the pass from your paycheck and FedEx the ticket to your house.

Question regarding ZED tickets: Do Southwest Employees spouse, parents, and children qualify for the ZED tickets like the employee does?

Also, what about step children, say an employee marries a gal who has children, will her children count for flight benefits?

46 months ago

Jeff in Dallas, Texas said: Question regarding ZED tickets: Do Southwest Employees spouse, parents, and children qualify for the ZED tickets like the employee does?

Each airline has their own rules for eligibility but generally speaking "Employee, Spouse, Committed/Registered Partner, Eligible Dependent children under 24, Retirees, and Parents" are all eligible for ZED fares. I have seen agreement rules that state that employees would get the ZED low rate while family members would get a ZED medium or high rate, and things along those lines.. Some also limit how many passes per year you can use (parents only get one pass per your on American for example). Southwest employees can log into the employee website and read the rules and stipulations for each agreement with each airline. They vary from airline to airline. The best agreements we seem to have are with United and JetBlue. Both are ZED low for employees and all eligible family members.

46 months ago

Air Canada (AC)
Air Caraibes (TX)
Air Jamaica (JM)
Air Tahiti Nui (TN)
AirTran Airways (FL)
Alaska Airlines (AS)
Allegiant Air (G4)
American Airlines (AA)
Arkia Israeli Airlines (IZ)
Ausburg Airways (IQ)
Avianca (AV)
Aviasca (6A)
Baboo (F7)
British Midland (BD)
Canadian North (5T)
Condor Airlines (DE)
Continental Airlines (includes Continental Express) (CO)
Continental Micronesia (CS)
Corsairfly (SS)
Delta Air Lines (DL)
Edelweiss Air (WK)
El Al Israel Airlines (LY)
ExpressJet (XE)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Finncom Airlines (FC)
First Air (7F)
Frontier Airlines (F9)
GoJet Airlines (G7)
Great Lakes Aviation (ZK)
Hawaiian Airlines (HA)
Horizon Air (QX)
Icelandair (FI)
JetBlue (B6)
LIAT (LI)
Lufthansa German Airlines (LH)
Meridiana (IG)
Mesa Airlines (YV)
Mexicana (MX)

Jeff in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

Thanks, John. What about the Stepchildren question. You are very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

Thanks, John. You are very helpful.

What about the stepchildren question?

46 months ago

Jeff in Dallas, Texas said: Thanks, John. You are very helpful.

What about the stepchildren question?

I can't find any information about step children on our employee travel page. The page specifies eligible travelers as employees, retirees, children (up to age 24), parents, spouse, registered partner. Whether "children" includes step children or not, I am not sure.

46 months ago

Jeff stepchildren fly free I asked them this question in my interview!

Jeff in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

Thanks, Sunshine, that was very nice of you to ask. Hope your interview results in positive news for your family.

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

46 months ago

Does anyone have the city code list for southwest? I cant seem to download the list that fromthe757 posted. Thanks

aladavac in Alton, Illinois

46 months ago

Hey guys! If you work for Southwest and your spouse wants to travel with an ID90 or Zed to Italy, would the employee have to travel with the spouse and children? Or would the spouse and children be able to travel without the employee?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

What union are the Customer Service Agents represented by with southwest?

45 months ago

Customer service is represented by IAM.

45 months ago

I was able to download the list! Thanks again John Im making my index cards now! Oh the list you provided with the Airline Codes only goes up to letter "M" what about the rest?

Update my BR cleared!!! Going in for finger printing Monday!

45 months ago

Background or drug test? The finger print test should have been for the background check.

45 months ago

Then I guess half of my BC cleared. The outside company they hired to check my previous jobs, school, place of residency said everything was verified. Now I was called in for finderprinting.

ramper in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

John,

If you still go on here,is there a hearing test performed by southwest prior or after you get on SW? I usually fail those ALL the time even though I have no problem with my hearing otherwise. I just hate to not get a ramp position because of it. For some reason, when i have those headphones on, I hear my heartbeat really loud, so i never hear those little beeps.

42 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: John,

If you still go on here,is there a hearing test performed by southwest prior or after you get on SW? I usually fail those ALL the time even though I have no problem with my hearing otherwise. I just hate to not get a ramp position because of it. For some reason, when i have those headphones on, I hear my heartbeat really loud, so i never hear those little beeps.

There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

I just got hired as a ramp agent at EWR. Does anyone know if you have to pay for anything during the training in Dallas? I know they pay for the hotel, but do they provide for all your meals also? Thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey said: I just got hired as a ramp agent at EWR. Does anyone know if you have to pay for anything during the training in Dallas? I know they pay for the hotel, but do they provide for all your meals also? Thanks for your help

Yeah it's all covered. You won't have to spend any money at all if you don't want to. But, you'll likely want to have some cash to go out and do stuff in Dallas. But all the necessities are provided. 3 meals a day are provided, and the room is free. You will also get a per diem at some point (like $30 a day) to cover any other incidentals. They may actually only pay this to you AFTER training though (on your next paycheck), so figure if you do spend some money you'll be getting compensated for it with your per diems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

John,
Thanks alot for the info. It's a big relief for me. Also, just a fyi, I spoke to a couple guys that work the ramp here in mco and they tell me that many ramp agents here make well over $100k/year with all the OT they have here. Thats crazy! One guy says he's made 42k so far for the year. Of course, many of them have several years in the company.

LAstly, What is the scoop so far with the negotiation on a new union contract?

42 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: John,
Thanks alot for the info. It's a big relief for me. Also, just a fyi, I spoke to a couple guys that work the ramp here in mco and they tell me that many ramp agents here make well over $100k/year with all the OT they have here. Thats crazy! One guy says he's made 42k so far for the year. Of course, many of them have several years in the company.

LAstly, What is the scoop so far with the negotiation on a new union contract?

Negotiations have not begun yet. We're in the preliminary stages of surveying the membership to determine what the purpose of our negotiations will be. Our current agreement expires on June 30th.

42 months ago

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey said: Hey John, Thank you so much for the information. I have to travel to MDW for new hire processing. Can you tell me what that is like? and also what my first week at the job will entail? Thanks again for your help. Its greatly appreciated

Processing is mostly filling out various forms, signing up for insurance, printing up your company ID, have a lot of stuff explained to you etc.

Your first week on the job is going to be a lot of class room stuff, and observing. You'll fill out a lot of mock paperwork and bin loading slips. You'll be taken out onto the ramp and shown things. Second week is a little more hands on. You'll mirror a trainer and be shown things more thoroughly. 3rd week I believe is when you get sent off to Dallas. That's when you really get an education about the ins and outs of the job, company, and culture. After Dallas you'll come back for about another week or so of on the job training.

d in Blue Springs, Missouri

39 months ago

does anybody know if you are single...do you have the option to put down anybody as your flying companion like the other airlines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FlyingSpouse

37 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the cost of medical and dental insurance is for a family per month at SW?wife is hopng to get offer this week and I have to decide to go with her co benefits our my own. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keikei in Gilbert, Arizona

37 months ago

FlyingSpouse said: Can anyone tell me what the cost of medical and dental insurance is for a family per month at SW?wife is hopng to get offer this week and I have to decide to go with her co benefits our my own. Thanks!

I pay 68 per pay period for my 2 children and me... I think adding my spouse would have been about 80. It is still cheaper than any job that I have seen!

Flyingspouse in Plano, Texas

37 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for children of employees to get flying benefits? What constitutes "eligible dependents"?
Also,. If you work at HQ, what paid holidays do you get and how much vacation time do you get and when can you start using it? My wife will start working in October and we have a trip planned overseas in Jan.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Charlotte, North Carolina

33 months ago

What is exactly Committed/Registered Partners also enjoy travel privileges on Southwest? Is that like boyfriend or girlfriends can fly for free?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StuckInMyMind in Somewhere, Ohio

32 months ago

Chris in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What is exactly Committed/Registered Partners also enjoy travel privileges on Southwest? Is that like boyfriend or girlfriends can fly for free?

It is for committed, but unmarried, same or opposite sex couples. Most companies require you to submit a notarized affidavit saying that you are living in a committed relationship where there are financial ties between the two.

kcordell57 in Saint Louis, Missouri

32 months ago

Has anyone used their SWA status for cruises and if so what type of fares or % off do you get?

kth89 in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

can anyone tell me the possible long term pay for customer service? I know it begins at the first 12 months of under $12.00 an hour, but do they offer annual raises for sure (per union maybe?) etc.? I just am wondering my potential to earn more after year #1. Also, how do they define overtime: more than an 8 hour shift or more than a 40 hour week? Is it time and a half automatically?

I go for a face to face tomorrow at MDW. I really want this job, but my only concern is that two of my three sons graduate this may two days in a row-do I even dare mention this and to who and when? I can't miss my 8th grader and high school seniors graduations-I don't know what to do!!! ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kcordell57 in Hazelwood, Missouri

32 months ago

email me and I will send you the .pdf file that has all the city codes for SWA and AirTran.
kevin.cordell@sbcglobal.net

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.