Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

John in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

Customer service is represented by IAM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

52 months ago

I was able to download the list! Thanks again John Im making my index cards now! Oh the list you provided with the Airline Codes only goes up to letter "M" what about the rest?

Update my BR cleared!!! Going in for finger printing Monday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Background or drug test? The finger print test should have been for the background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

52 months ago

Then I guess half of my BC cleared. The outside company they hired to check my previous jobs, school, place of residency said everything was verified. Now I was called in for finderprinting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

48 months ago

John,

If you still go on here,is there a hearing test performed by southwest prior or after you get on SW? I usually fail those ALL the time even though I have no problem with my hearing otherwise. I just hate to not get a ramp position because of it. For some reason, when i have those headphones on, I hear my heartbeat really loud, so i never hear those little beeps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: John,

If you still go on here,is there a hearing test performed by southwest prior or after you get on SW? I usually fail those ALL the time even though I have no problem with my hearing otherwise. I just hate to not get a ramp position because of it. For some reason, when i have those headphones on, I hear my heartbeat really loud, so i never hear those little beeps.

There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey

48 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

I just got hired as a ramp agent at EWR. Does anyone know if you have to pay for anything during the training in Dallas? I know they pay for the hotel, but do they provide for all your meals also? Thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey said: I just got hired as a ramp agent at EWR. Does anyone know if you have to pay for anything during the training in Dallas? I know they pay for the hotel, but do they provide for all your meals also? Thanks for your help

Yeah it's all covered. You won't have to spend any money at all if you don't want to. But, you'll likely want to have some cash to go out and do stuff in Dallas. But all the necessities are provided. 3 meals a day are provided, and the room is free. You will also get a per diem at some point (like $30 a day) to cover any other incidentals. They may actually only pay this to you AFTER training though (on your next paycheck), so figure if you do spend some money you'll be getting compensated for it with your per diems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: There is a hearing test but it doesn't determine if you're going to be hired or not. You have to take hearing tests once a year to determine if you're losing hearing or not due to noise exposure. The initial test is simply done so there's something to compare it to down the road.

John,
Thanks alot for the info. It's a big relief for me. Also, just a fyi, I spoke to a couple guys that work the ramp here in mco and they tell me that many ramp agents here make well over $100k/year with all the OT they have here. Thats crazy! One guy says he's made 42k so far for the year. Of course, many of them have several years in the company.

LAstly, What is the scoop so far with the negotiation on a new union contract?

48 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: John,
Thanks alot for the info. It's a big relief for me. Also, just a fyi, I spoke to a couple guys that work the ramp here in mco and they tell me that many ramp agents here make well over $100k/year with all the OT they have here. Thats crazy! One guy says he's made 42k so far for the year. Of course, many of them have several years in the company.

LAstly, What is the scoop so far with the negotiation on a new union contract?

Negotiations have not begun yet. We're in the preliminary stages of surveying the membership to determine what the purpose of our negotiations will be. Our current agreement expires on June 30th.

48 months ago

NJDispatcher in Teaneck, New Jersey said: Hey John, Thank you so much for the information. I have to travel to MDW for new hire processing. Can you tell me what that is like? and also what my first week at the job will entail? Thanks again for your help. Its greatly appreciated

Processing is mostly filling out various forms, signing up for insurance, printing up your company ID, have a lot of stuff explained to you etc.

Your first week on the job is going to be a lot of class room stuff, and observing. You'll fill out a lot of mock paperwork and bin loading slips. You'll be taken out onto the ramp and shown things. Second week is a little more hands on. You'll mirror a trainer and be shown things more thoroughly. 3rd week I believe is when you get sent off to Dallas. That's when you really get an education about the ins and outs of the job, company, and culture. After Dallas you'll come back for about another week or so of on the job training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

d in Blue Springs, Missouri

45 months ago

does anybody know if you are single...do you have the option to put down anybody as your flying companion like the other airlines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FlyingSpouse

43 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the cost of medical and dental insurance is for a family per month at SW?wife is hopng to get offer this week and I have to decide to go with her co benefits our my own. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keikei in Gilbert, Arizona

43 months ago

FlyingSpouse said: Can anyone tell me what the cost of medical and dental insurance is for a family per month at SW?wife is hopng to get offer this week and I have to decide to go with her co benefits our my own. Thanks!

I pay 68 per pay period for my 2 children and me... I think adding my spouse would have been about 80. It is still cheaper than any job that I have seen!

Flyingspouse in Plano, Texas

43 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for children of employees to get flying benefits? What constitutes "eligible dependents"?
Also,. If you work at HQ, what paid holidays do you get and how much vacation time do you get and when can you start using it? My wife will start working in October and we have a trip planned overseas in Jan.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Charlotte, North Carolina

39 months ago

What is exactly Committed/Registered Partners also enjoy travel privileges on Southwest? Is that like boyfriend or girlfriends can fly for free?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

StuckInMyMind in Somewhere, Ohio

38 months ago

Chris in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What is exactly Committed/Registered Partners also enjoy travel privileges on Southwest? Is that like boyfriend or girlfriends can fly for free?

It is for committed, but unmarried, same or opposite sex couples. Most companies require you to submit a notarized affidavit saying that you are living in a committed relationship where there are financial ties between the two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kcordell57 in Saint Louis, Missouri

38 months ago

Has anyone used their SWA status for cruises and if so what type of fares or % off do you get?

kth89 in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

can anyone tell me the possible long term pay for customer service? I know it begins at the first 12 months of under $12.00 an hour, but do they offer annual raises for sure (per union maybe?) etc.? I just am wondering my potential to earn more after year #1. Also, how do they define overtime: more than an 8 hour shift or more than a 40 hour week? Is it time and a half automatically?

I go for a face to face tomorrow at MDW. I really want this job, but my only concern is that two of my three sons graduate this may two days in a row-do I even dare mention this and to who and when? I can't miss my 8th grader and high school seniors graduations-I don't know what to do!!! ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kcordell57 in Hazelwood, Missouri

38 months ago

email me and I will send you the .pdf file that has all the city codes for SWA and AirTran.
kevin.cordell@sbcglobal.net

37 months ago

kth89 in Chicago, Illinois said: can anyone tell me the possible long term pay for customer service? I know it begins at the first 12 months of under $12.00 an hour, but do they offer annual raises for sure (per union maybe?) etc.? I just am wondering my potential to earn more after year #1. Also, how do they define overtime: more than an 8 hour shift or more than a 40 hour week? Is it time and a half automatically?

I go for a face to face tomorrow at MDW. I really want this job, but my only concern is that two of my three sons graduate this may two days in a row-do I even dare mention this and to who and when? I can't miss my 8th grader and high school seniors graduations-I don't know what to do!!! ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I know that CSA top out at over $26/hour after 11 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kth89 in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Thank you so much ramper in Orlando.

Airahsay in Las Vegas, Nevada

29 months ago

StuckInMyMind in Somewhere, Ohio said: It is for committed, but unmarried, same or opposite sex couples. Most companies require you to submit a notarized affidavit saying that you are living in a committed relationship where there are financial ties between the two.

What if there are no financial ties. For example, long distance relationship, hence the desire for a job with the airline.

Travis-Wade in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

Okay I have one question , when people say new hires recieve "less favorable" shifts in the bidding process . Generally wat time of the day do you guys mean ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49rSFGiants415 in San Francisco, California

24 months ago

I was wondering if SouthWest has travel companions? Can buddy pass travelers fly international as well or only domestically??

24 months ago

I was wondering if Southwest has travel companions and if buddy pass riders can travel internatio or only domestically?

Sam Lewis in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

If you're not married you can declare a companion who will be eligible for 4 round trips a year. The new buddy passes allow for travel on both Southwest and AirTran (AirTran does the international flying)

24 months ago

How long should it take to hear back from Southwest after interview and finger prints? Its been 4 weeks since I heard anything didnt get an email or phone call yet. Should I be worried?

Gage in Littleton, Colorado

24 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Southwest employees get free unlimited travel on Southwest airlines , as well as their spouse, parents, and children . It's super simple. All you have to do is log on to the employee website and make a flight listing for yourself or who ever is flying. Then you simply show up to the airport with your company ID, get on the plane and fly. You can do that as many times as you want to anywhere Southwest flies.

Southwest employees also receive ID and ZED discounts on other airline travel. The ZEDs are the better option of the two. They're a low flat rate based on distance. The ZED discount can vary depending on which level of agreement the carrier has with Southwest. There are low, medium, and high ZED agreements. Southwest has ZED low with United, Alaska, and JetBlue, and Zed Medium with just about every other airline out there.. An example of a ZED low fare would be $19-$90. The distance of the flight is what determines where in that price range you would pay. An example of a ZED medium fare would be $29-$111. There are some small taxes that you have to pay for international and such. As you can see though, it's cheap. I've flown Chicago-Tokyo for $289 round trip on a ZED with JAL (United). That ticket had I purchased it, would cost about $1,400. ZED tickets are fully refundable if not used and are flexible (able to be used on other carriers flying the same route). When you work at Southwest, you simply call the pass bureau (internal department who handles employee travel) and tell then that you'd like to purchase a ZED on X airline to X destination. They will then payroll deduct the cost of the pass from your paycheck and FedEx the ticket to your house.

Does the system Southwest Airlines uses for employee travel benefits work as if you were traveling with a ticket or flying standby?

In4am0spun in Mountain View, California

20 months ago

Bringing this thread back from the dead but if I read correctly. My "wifey" doesn't get unlimited flights because she's not my spouse? But my 2kids with her are

Sam Lewis in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

In4am0spun in Mountain View, California said: Bringing this thread back from the dead but if I read correctly. My "wifey" doesn't get unlimited flights because she's not my spouse? But my 2kids with her are

That's correct. If she's not your legal wife you wont be able to add her for spouse flight benefits, but you could declare her as your companion (something that only non married employees can do) and she would be able to fly 4 times a year. Your kids would have flight benefits.

AngieG in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

Sam Lewis in Chicago, Illinois said: That's correct. If she's not your legal wife you wont be able to add her for spouse flight benefits, but you could declare her as your companion (something that only non married employees can do) and she would be able to fly 4 times a year. Your kids would have flight benefits.

Hi Sam!! Quick question. In this post previously someone had mentioned the ZED something or another about flying on other airlines internationally or to airports SWA doesnt fly to. 2 things:

1) Are these costs for employees pretty low?
2) Do these count for our parents as well?

Thanks!!

KM562 in Long Beach, California

19 months ago

AngieG in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi Sam!! Quick question. In this post previously someone had mentioned the ZED something or another about flying on other airlines internationally or to airports SWA doesnt fly to. 2 things:

1) Are these costs for employees pretty low?
2) Do these count for our parents as well?

Thanks!!

Zeds are very low but you are not suppose to use them until after 6 months of employment and it does work for your parents and dependents and children

AngieG in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

KM562 in Long Beach, California said: Zeds are very low but you are not suppose to use them until after 6 months of employment and it does work for your parents and dependents and children

Thanks for the info!! Good to know! :) WHEEEEEN....I finally pass my background check I plan on working for them for awhile so that wont be a problem. :)

KC in Schenectady, New York

19 months ago

I am in the process of part time employment (customer service)...offered employment...is there an age limit for your children flying for free? Also do grandchildren get any flight benefits?

What is the training like in Dallas for a customer service rep? Do you need to memorize the Airport codes ect?

KM562 in Long Beach, California

19 months ago

KC in Schenectady, New York said: I am in the process of part time employment (customer service)...offered employment...is there an age limit for your children flying for free? Also do grandchildren get any flight benefits?

What is the training like in Dallas for a customer service rep? Do you need to memorize the Airport codes ect?

There is an age limit for your children... I think they can fly until they are 22 if they are in college and you have to send in proof to Dallas every semester.. but 19 if they are not in college. I could be wrong on the age but there is a limit and no free flights for grandchildren.. For airport codes they give you the test in the station so its best to know them before your start date. And Dallas is just going over stuff that you do in the station because some ppl dont go to the station they just go to dallas. I was in the station for 6 weeks before I went to Dallas so the class was slow and the test were easy for me because I already knew everything.

BlueSky in Parker, Colorado

18 months ago

Hi there! Can anyone tell me if PART TIME customer service agents get flying benefits? Thanks!

fromthe757 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

BlueSky in Parker, Colorado said: Hi there! Can anyone tell me if PART TIME customer service agents get flying benefits? Thanks!

Yes! Part-time agents absolutely get non-revenue travel privileges. You have the Freedom to move about the country and near-international destinations the day you get your Company badge.

BlueSky in Parker, Colorado

18 months ago

fromthe757 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Yes! Part-time agents absolutely get non-revenue travel privileges. You have the Freedom to move about the country and near-international destinations the day you get your Company badge.

Thank you so much for your info!! Have a great day!

fromthe757 in Norfolk, Virginia

18 months ago

BlueSky in Parker, Colorado said: Thank you so much for your info!! Have a great day!

No problem! If you or someone you know is in the process of being hired as a Part-time Customer Service Agent or any other Part-time position at DEN, expect to be offered to go Full-time really fast! This could be even before the six-month probation period is complete. Also, there are so many opportunities to pick up hours or trade shifts.

There have many openings in DEN for current Employees working in other cities the past few weeks. So, it's definitely a busy time in DEN and there's no sign of slowing down anytime soon.

Jenny2 in Orlando, Florida

15 months ago

I am scheduled for a face to face for MCO and am curious on how SWA works. I used to work with JB and as a part timer we could pick up shifts from the trade board and starting pay was 11/hr roughly. Can anyone tell me if Part timers in MCO have the option to pick up shifts and if its also a trade board system. What are the hours for Customer Service in MCO (i wasnt sure if they had really late hours). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Jenny

Armyguy in Colorado Springs, Colorado

9 months ago

Southwest Airlines website has that the flight benefits start on the first day of employment. I would assume that means the start date, not just new hire orientation? Does this apply for spouse/partners?

SimplyBeautiful in Phoenix, Arizona

8 months ago

for the customer service, are we able to use our notes on the tests?

Steven

4 months ago

If you are a good friend of a southwest employee is the employee able to enroll you as a friend and make it to were you can fly unlimited on southwest?

ZGabbs in San Antonio, Texas

3 months ago

I have a question regarding flight benefits through SWA. I am starting training on the 26th this month and I would like my family of 4 to fly to Dallas to come and see me. I understand they will have to fly standby at all times (all of us) what if there aren't enough seats for all 4? (One adult and 3 minors) is there a way to know if the flights going to a location are full before you waste your time bringing your family to the airport? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

They call me Larry in Somewhere

3 months ago

ZGabbs in San Antonio, Texas said: I have a question regarding flight benefits through SWA. I am starting training on the 26th this month and I would like my family of 4 to fly to Dallas to come and see me. I understand they will have to fly standby at all times (all of us) what if there aren't enough seats for all 4? (One adult and 3 minors) is there a way to know if the flights going to a location are full before you waste your time bringing your family to the airport? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

If you don't have access to Swalife yet, call the Non-rev number and ask them about the availability on any flight. Just let them know your name and employee number.8 6 6 3 5 9 7 9 6 7

jandj in Oneonta, Alabama

17 days ago

I applied for a CA position this week and I received a phone call from SWA today letting me know benefit info and asking if I was interested. I am wondering how long will it take before I hear back? I am very excited about this opportunity! Any info on SWA you have...let me know!!

joziah047 in Las Vegas, Nevada

17 days ago

jandj in Oneonta, Alabama said: I applied for a CA position this week and I received a phone call from SWA today letting me know benefit info and asking if I was interested. I am wondering how long will it take before I hear back? I am very excited about this opportunity! Any info on SWA you have...let me know!!

Everyone has a different expereince with it. As for me I applied last week of January and i'm at the last stage right now, getting my background check cleared. So i should know between now till 2 weeks if I OFFICIALLY got it or not. I went thru applying, then another application (filling out my last 10 years), phone interview, f2f interview, drug test, fingerprinting, badging, and now waiting for my background check(it all took like 1-2 week intervals) . I actually had a lot of complication with my 10 year background check (residence and employment) because i traveled a lot and they wanted document from everywhere verifying i was there. so if you don't have a complicated life you're good to go!
good luck!

jandj in Oneonta, Alabama

16 days ago

joziah047 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Everyone has a different expereince with it. As for me I applied last week of January and i'm at the last stage right now, getting my background check cleared. So i should know between now till 2 weeks if I OFFICIALLY got it or not. I went thru applying, then another application (filling out my last 10 years), phone interview, f2f interview, drug test, fingerprinting, badging, and now waiting for my background check(it all took like 1-2 week intervals) . I actually had a lot of complication with my 10 year background check (residence and employment) because i traveled a lot and they wanted document from everywhere verifying i was there. so if you don't have a complicated life you're good to go!
good luck!

Thank you kindly for your response! Good luck to you as well

Rob in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania

9 days ago

How long is training for baggage. and what discounts do you get at parks in Fla.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.