SWA Health Insurance Info

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

VMar03 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

35 months ago

My husband is going to work for SWA we hope! He is waiting to hear back from his fingerprinting, and he already took his class for his SIDA badge. He will move for the job. I am wondering about health insurance, we have 3 kids, and I am hoping to get Baratric Surgery. I am months away from getting it with our current insurance, but I wont be able to do it before he leaves his job for SWA. Does the insurance cover it? What are the requrements? I called United Heathcare, but they can't answer any questions. I know its 30 days till the insurance starts.
I also want information about the salary. He is the bread winner, I stay home. I worry about the pay cut he will take with SWA. Its his dream company though. Is overtime as possible as it seems? Please help with any information! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

VMar03 in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: My husband is going to work for SWA we hope! He is waiting to hear back from his fingerprinting, and he already took his class for his SIDA badge. He will move for the job. I am wondering about health insurance, we have 3 kids, and I am hoping to get Baratric Surgery. I am months away from getting it with our current insurance, but I wont be able to do it before he leaves his job for SWA. Does the insurance cover it? What are the requrements? I called United Heathcare, but they can't answer any questions. I know its 30 days till the insurance starts.
I also want information about the salary. He is the bread winner, I stay home. I worry about the pay cut he will take with SWA. Its his dream company though. Is overtime as possible as it seems? Please help with any information! Thanks

What job exactly is he taking with Southwest? Earning potential will vary depending on his position obviously.

The insurance at Southwest is very good. There are varying coverage tiers that can be elected and I am pretty sure that if the highest premium level is selected, your medical coverage will be pretty top notch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

He will be working ramp. He just got his start date! Sept 12th! Is the insurance expensive? We pay about $425 a month at his current job for health, dental and eye. I'm hoping with SWA it wont be as high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

VMar03 in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: He will be working ramp. He just got his start date! Sept 12th! Is the insurance expensive? We pay about $425 a month at his current job for health, dental and eye. I'm hoping with SWA it wont be as high.

Well then you'll be happy to hear that Southwest's medical plan for employee and family costs $145 a month. It's split in half between your two monthly paychecks so only about $73 will be missing from each paycheck for medical insurance. The dental and vision insurance in total might be an additional $20 a month. Super cheap, and good coverage.

The hourly rate at first is relatively low at about 10.70 per hour. But depending on which station he'll be located at the earning potential is actually pretty high if he doesn't mind logging the hours. Time and a half and double time pay is very common. Also the pay gets better and better over time. It's a set scale and a guaranteed raise every year. The top of the scale is currently $26 an hour but look for it to be closer to $30 by the time your husband actually gets there because the CBA is renegotiated every 3-5 years. I know lots of rampers who gross at least 40k in their first year because of mandatory OT and voluntary as well. The top of the scale guys have been known to gross well into 6 figures. You can essentially write your own paycheck, it's just a matter of how many hours you can stand to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

That's a relief! Just the differance in health insurance costs will make up for the pay cut! Thank you so much for the information! He will be in Philly, and is happy to log the hours so I think this will work out really well. I'm excited for him. Thanks again.
Does anyone who works Ramp have any helpful hints/tips for him?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

Is he FT or PT? Because if he's PT, it will cost about $500/monthly for family...

Just a correction on what John said, I'm assuming he's working on the ramp, the first 6 months he will be on probation and the pay will be $10.28, after he passes probation it will be $11.12 After 1 yr it will be $11.47, 2nd year- $11.94 3rd year $13.36 etc... However currently the Union is negotiating a new contract so the pay will go up eventually...Currently top out pay is $25.97 after 11 years...Like John said the hrs are endless, and your husband could work 100 hrs a week if he wants, currently here in Orlando though it is slow meaning almost no OT due to it being slow season as well as many new hires so if he wants he can pick up other peoples shifts but that will all be straight pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

As for tips and advice, just work hard and have a positive attitude, don't be lazy and do whatever the Sups say while he's on probation, after he's off probation and he's in the union, he can cuss out the sups when necessary. The main thing for him is to pass probation (the first 6 months) because i have seen many agents not pass. Attendance is the biggest reason, while on probation, dont be late, dont call out, you are very restricted while on probabtion as far as attendance goes. Good luck to him and welcome to the best airline to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Is he FT or PT? Because if he's PT, it will cost about $500/monthly for family...

Just a correction on what John said, I'm assuming he's working on the ramp, the first 6 months he will be on probation and the pay will be $10.28, after he passes probation it will be $11.12 After 1 yr it will be $11.47, 2nd year- $11.94 3rd year $13.36 etc... However currently the Union is negotiating a new contract so the pay will go up eventually...Currently top out pay is $25.97 after 11 years...Like John said the hrs are endless, and your husband could work 100 hrs a week if he wants, currently here in Orlando though it is slow meaning almost no OT due to it being slow season as well as many new hires so if he wants he can pick up other peoples shifts but that will all be straight pay.

Yep,.. The $10.70 number is actually the average of $10.28 and $11.12 at 6 months each over 12 months. I tell people $10.70 because it's less confusing.

As for OT, yes it varies from station to station. As ramper in Orlando says it's slower in MCO but at MDW we have so much OT right now that our junior guys get mandatory OT nearly every day. So it will depend on the situation at his station. It fluctuates based on staffing level and the time of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Yep,.. The $10.70 number is actually the average of $10.28 and $11.12 at 6 months each over 12 months. I tell people $10.70 because it's less confusing.

As for OT, yes it varies from station to station. As ramper in Orlando says it's slower in MCO but at MDW we have so much OT right now that our junior guys get mandatory OT nearly every day. So it will depend on the situation at his station. It fluctuates based on staffing level and the time of the year.

John,
I know MDW is bigger than MCO, do you guys ever have "slow season" as in no ot at all?...I'm a recent new hire and at first I was loving all the ot i was getting and was taking home $1600+ paychecks after taxes home....now there is absolutely no ot and im taking in just under a grand and thats picking up alot of shift trades and no ot. It also doesnt help that they've hire about 50 new hires tu cut the ot out. Do you guys have that problem as far as ot shortage? Im thinking of transferring to a bigger station with tons of ot, mando, etc....any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vmar03 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

35 months ago

My husband will be in PHL. I'm hoping for overtime! Thanks so much for the info, I will pass it all along to him. He's already out there getting ready for his first day, its Monday. He took his big 4w drive truck out with him so he will be able to get through the snow during the winter so as not to miss any work ( in New Mexico that's rarely a problem). Hopefully everthing goes well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Good Luck to him...and you too, being in Abq while he's in a Philly..do you guys plan on moving to Philly or is he trying to transfer to Abq? My wife is from Abq and I asked a couple coworkers about transferring there and was told that it's a very popular place for senior rampers so the waiting list is pretty long...dont know for sure though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.