What's the company culture at Staples?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Staples?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Staples?

Reply - Report abuse

oscar in El Centro, California

88 months ago

we were a red shirt with a colored strip.. black pants, black shoes, black socks, black or white under shirt.

at my store atleast we get to gether and go out.. but recently we stoped for some odd reason..

typical day at staples = rutien..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J.Johnson in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Oh its terrible dude. This is not what you want. Run away from Staples instead of applying. People are treated with total disrespect. I worked their a year ago and still have nightmares!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

mp in Des Moines, Iowa

85 months ago

Very discriminating towards single mothers that can only work 1st shift. Degrading is not the word it would be manipulaters!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Self in Columbia, South Carolina

84 months ago

This position is not at one of the stores, it is the shared services center in Columbia, SC. The dress is business casual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

starwoman67 in Silver Spring, Maryland

68 months ago

Working at Staples was crazy! I was a cashier,customer service,stocker,and do everything person. I heard from people who had worked there for a while that the company was going down. Sometimes we had very good people to work with-and these were 20 year olds-and right before i left they hired people that didnt know anything. I couldn't handle being yelled at by the customers because there were not enough people to help them. School time is the worst!!! All they care about now is selling Product Replacement Plans and Rewards-How many did we get a day. The managers are overworked and underpaid and have to endure "Conference Calls" to the detriment of the store operations. I did my best, but i don't like retail-SELL,SELL,SELL!!! My managers were nice to me, though. Some days the customer service is good and some days bad, depending on who was working. A lot of problems at the Copy Center. Customers want what they want and you better deliver it. We had mystery shoppers, that sucked. Customers complained about the Rebates and never acually read the signs and would then tell me about it at the register. I was in a bad mood at the end of the day. If you are a sensitive person, don't work there. If you can handle things and not care-go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starwoman67 in Silver Spring, Maryland

68 months ago

Yea, I don't know what they do to make thier DM's crazy, mine was too.
If you want to work there, make sure you have a smile plastered on your face! or you will be forced out. I worked my butt off for the benefits only. now they are about to be gone. they say they are for great customer service, yea right. Everytime I saw the DM, she snapped my head off. How can a person work in that enviroment??? No rednecks up here, though. I am going to end up working for myself!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne or Anna in Hopewell, Virginia

67 months ago

RE: the posting about single mothers. I worked at a Staples in New Jersey, where the scheduling was totally unpredictable--a lottery rather than consistent work hours. One day, a borderline elderly gentleman asked if he could work there, and was available weekday afternoons (I no longer remember his words verbatim). This man probably had a long record of reliable work, and spoke and acted with a willing, determined attitude. He would have brought these attributes into our workplace. The manager did not want him, because the man was not available at random. An apparently excellent worker slipped right through management's fingers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

j

66 months ago

They didn't give me the uniform for a while it was like pulling teeth I had to wear my own clothes and when I was yelled at not wearing the uniform I yelled back at the manager for not giving me one in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MollyPDole in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Schedule? What schedule? The schedule changes every week - don't bother telling them when you can't work, they don't listen. 10 hours one week, 30 the next, and NO, NO predictability at all, ever. And my experience is recent AND current. For $8/hour, they expect you to be available from 9 to 9 EVERY day.

This way of scheduling is just stupid, but it helps Staples keep costs down. If you're not at 20 hours/ week consistently, there's benefits you're just not eligible for. So if you have no life, don't have friends you want to see, if you want to miss family events, and don't want to know what you're making from week to week, work for Staples.

And they really want you to push, do the hard sell. There's no flexibility once the customer asks for help, they want the really hard sell. They don't seem to care if the hard sell makes people walk away - push to sell the more expensive printer or computer, even if it means the customer walks out without buying anything. This could be a great place to work, if management just had some common sense!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Been there, done that in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

61 months ago

Try working in their warehouse.....it's hotter than hell. Sure you can wear shorts & have bottled water, but there are no fans (floor or ceiling), no A/C, and no air circulating. Most of the dock doors are closed. A virtual hothouse-would be great for growing plants and flowers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kag in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

any recent info on working at Staples? I was thinking of applying and was told your now required to work at other stores, and that you get paid on commission? whats the work environment like thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Madison, Alabama

19 months ago

Kag in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: any recent info on working at Staples? I was thinking of applying and was told your now required to work at other stores, and that you get paid on commission? whats the work environment like thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I currently work for Staples and have done so for the last 3.5 months. Yes the job can be hectic at times, I'd like to see a job that isn't that's not a desk job, lol. To be honest, they do ask you to be available for a wide range of hours, but if you're insistent that you only have a certain window you can work in, if they have enough availability you're likely to get the job. What a previous poster said about the older man being turned away, a lot of managers will turn down an application if there's not enough available hours during the applier's window of work availability. They deem it pointless to hire someone for what might only be a single shift a week.

As it stands, most of the time I'm the closing customer service/ cashier, sometimes I'm sent to help in office supplies (people say it's boring but I really like it) and from time to time I'm put on janitorial detail. I've seen my managers be just as willing to do these jobs too. Yes, the schedule can be erratic at times. I once had 6 shifts in a week and all of them were from 4pm to 10pm. I spoke with my manager about it and the next schedule had me at 4 shifts per each week, two of which were openers, and I had more hours total in those 4 shifts than the 6 shifts in the week prior. It's all in how you approach the managers.

If you're looking to apply, be ready to have an open schedule. If possible, designate some hours available for opening shifts and some for closing, leaving one day each weekend open to work and the other to be off or you may lose your whole weekend. All in all, I'd work here over almost anywhere else. It's honestly a really good job, even if we do wish the pay was a little more, lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Randomworker in New York, New York

12 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Staples?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Staples?

Typical retail uniform. Different colors depending on the department.

We used to get together more often after work, but after a change in management there are more cliques and less spontaneous get togethers.

Typical day is ok. Just attending customers. It gets really hectic during back to school. Depending on your department there is more pressure to sell certain products than in other departments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Swagmazter in Spruce Grove, Alberta

11 months ago

Get the hell away from Staples as fast as you can if your want to maintain your sanity and self-esteem.

The managers only see you as a an asset with a price tag attached. Once they've used up your worth and you're jaded to the poor working environment they'll make your life a living hell until you quit so they can hire a new, more energetic fool who carelessly threw in his resume.

As a technology associate who is expected to up-sell and exploit the customer through "inspired selling" (this technique is more akin to lying to your customer and exaggerating the importance of the products the store offers), you are given no incentive such as a bonus or commission. The only reward you get for all your hard work is a shallow "good job" and your employment to keep.

My managers couldn't actually fire me due to me not having any previous write-ups or having any other reasonable grounds. So they took it upon themselves to make work there a living hell for my few last shifts. They would breathe down my neck all day as I was on the floor, ask me personally to do all the dirty jobs such as take out the garbage, mop the floors (even though we had cleaners), do all the stocking for the department, and record and report all of my sales to them face-to-face.

On my last day I gave every customer my employee discount, combined with multiple 10% off coupons, and a $10 discount, making almost every customer's purchase next to free. Felt good to make so many people happy. Especially with purchases over $2000. When my manager finally stormed out to see me I just walked out the door and never came back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shane T in Aberdeen, Washington

9 months ago

Kag in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: any recent info on working at Staples? I was thinking of applying and was told your now required to work at other stores, and that you get paid on commission? whats the work environment like thanks

Working at multiple stores would have to be something specific to your area. I am not required to work at more than one Staples, and none of the employees I work with is required to work anywhere else. No, there is no commission. You are trained to make yourself visible and available to customers, open a dialog, assist them in finding what they came to purchase, and see if there is anything else you can help them purchase... the emphasis is on DPT (Dollar per Transaction), not DPH (Dollar per Hour). So, if it takes you a while of talking with the customer to find what they really want, that is OK.

The pace is different in the Copy Center of course.

Some will look at this and get upset, because they seem to think if you are attempting to sell something, that you should automatically get a commission. However, that is only true in an environment where the items are priced to afford a commission on each sale. Just how much commission do you expect from a ream of paper?

Moreover, if you follow the training they provide, you can enter the job with ABSOLUTELY no skills whatsoever and do a good job once you hit the floor.

The specific work environment depends on the store and the people working in it, but in general you are not expected to fill your time with busy work. You are expected to engage customers first and foremost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.