Staples BDA Job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

SDW1118 in Pittsford, New York

76 months ago

For any experienced sales/account rep, run do not walk as fast as you can to avoid this job. It's a hostile work environment where your managers are recent college grads without expertise or knowledge on what works in established sales territories. In addition, in your own crappy territory you are not only competing against other office supply companies...(which are few) you are competing against Staples online...(Staples advantage program) Yes telemarketers call people in your own territory to take your business from you. Additionally, you are competing against Quill, it's against company policy to contact any quill customers, (which Staples owns...) but the quill reps can call on your customers anytime. Additionally, they limit the size of the company you can contact, so if by chance you stumble upon a potential large customer, Management takes it away from you. The established account managers who have worked for years at Staples or one of the companies that Staples bought out, often don't bother coming into work, they are all making well over $100,000. They resent it if they are given any new accounts and refuse to service them. they just take care of the yearly re-orders of Cities and counties, school districts, colleges and large corporations by entering a request in the computer.
The company operates under the "Sandler Sales training model" which is a joke. It may work in new markets, however it is not a good fit in older established markets. Companies like to do business with people they know and trust. This whole "hunter-farmer" sales concept is not customer-service friendly. It's get the account and move on.
The sales goals are too high in a saturated market or in rural farming territories. There is constant pressure to "hit your numbers" and weekly Telephone days where they sit next to you and listen to your appt. setting...Over-all it was a very stressful work environment where the turn-over is extremly high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Jonny in West Hartford, Connecticut

37 months ago

This role is from folks with NO sales experience at all. If you have sales experience they tell you that your training is awful and the Staples Way is the best sales training in the world. I went to Staples Way and you what I learned you hit your clients over the head until they buy something from you. Using staples way my clients ordered something so I would go away. I was embarrassing as a professional to have to do this. I took this job because I was laid off from my Software Sales job. The DSMs try to be your buddy in person then slam you in emails with their bosses cc on them. Oh god forbid you talk to a large account cause there is someone who is there to take it away from you. They say if you can have be great for two years they will offer you a DSM job however you will have to move across the nation. All of this they tell you in the interview process. If you are looking to start a sales career this is the place for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SDW1118 in Pittsford, New York

37 months ago

Jonny in West Hartford, Connecticut said: This role is from folks with NO sales experience at all. If you have sales experience they tell you that your training is awful and the Staples Way is the best sales training in the world. I went to Staples Way and you what I learned you hit your clients over the head until they buy something from you. Using staples way my clients ordered something so I would go away. I was embarrassing as a professional to have to do this. I took this job because I was laid off from my Software Sales job. The DSMs try to be your buddy in person then slam you in emails with their bosses cc on them. Oh god forbid you talk to a large account cause there is someone who is there to take it away from you. They say if you can have be great for two years they will offer you a DSM job however you will have to move across the nation. All of this they tell you in the interview process. If you are looking to start a sales career this is the place for you.

Sorry you had to have the same experiences I did. As you and I both pointed out,This is not the way any customer wants to be treated. I wish you good luck in finding something great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.