What's the company culture at State Farm Insurance Companies?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at State Farm Insurance Companies?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at State Farm Insurance Companies?

Reply - Report abuse

Eq Kimble in huntington beach, California

69 months ago

A pretty tough environment on the operations (claims) side. High volume, high pressure, little authority (very centralized structure). It's call center claim handling - lots of cubicles/phones/computers. The company watches over every little detail, including your bathroom breaks. If you want to work here, I'd work on the Agent side of things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

workingintheham in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

I worked at the Birmingham Operations Center, and this place was a nightmare for me. I was an auto claim rep doing liability. The job itself was great. I loved investigating automobile accidents. The problem is that you end up working with the dregs of Alabama society. They are mostly idiot savants that can't do anything except what they are doing (in some cases since they were teenagers). They mistake the fact that they have been doing one thing their whole lives for talent.

The job itself: You have something called an electronic claim file. Now this claim file is assigned to a "team". What happens is that everyone... and I mean everyone on your team has something to say about what you did. So you don't have one supervisor you answer to, you have several! If you think this becomes messy, complex, and leading to lots of drama then you are right! Backstabbing is a way of life. People say things about your appearance, your gender, even your race right to your face! And HR and management could care less. In fact, they are often involved. I actually had an hr rep tell me personally that as long as a manager didn't explicitly break a law than the manager can do whatever he/she wants. I developed a heart problem because it was so bad there. I literally walked out, not notice, after two years. This place is pure evil.

The dirty little secret about "the farm" is that as bad as the environment is... many put up with it for the money. These people are EXTREMELY overpaid, especially the veterans. Keep in mind, this is basically a glorified customer service job that requires no special skills. You get an unbelievable amount of sick days and vacation. The veterans are required to do very little work (because the unspoken truth is that they cannot be terminated) while new people are worked like dogs. They even have an old General motors style pension plan. How can state farm pay for this? through their extravagantly high premiums. Don't work there/don't be a customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sweets2323 in Hollywood, Florida

30 months ago

how is it Miami

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.