Recruiters posting low IT pay

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Lone Star in Cypress, Texas

90 months ago

I am so tired of seeing these recruiting companies posting very technical jobs at $15 to 20/hr and $30K to 40K per year. What experienced IT person would ever take these jobs? I wonder who is actually taking these jobs? I can take an easier job and make money like that.

Quit trying to low ball us. You will just send someone who needs their hand held to do the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronald in Kearny, New Jersey

89 months ago

Lone Star in Cypress, Texas said: I am so tired of seeing these recruiting companies posting very technical jobs at $15 to 20/hr and $30K to 40K per year. What experienced IT person would ever take these jobs? I wonder who is actually taking these jobs? I can take an easier job and make money like that.

Quit trying to low ball us. You will just send someone who needs their hand held to do the job.

I agree if i had all the expeirence they ask for, why would i settle for low pay or sign up with a temp agency. I can find plenty of good high paying jobs in my area, but only if i am at the top of my field. Nobody wants to deal with the little guy at the bottom tying to get his foot in the door, nobody calls us, interviews us, hires us. Nobody considers us unless im female, twenty, or spanish speaking since im none of these im screwed out in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Timberowl in Coralville, Iowa

89 months ago

I agree, to an extent. Other than the fact that I am a 22-year-old female trying to get her foot in the door with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Scottsdale, Arizona

89 months ago

These people are only looking to screw you. They lie, cheat to use you. The industry as a whole has gone down hill. Lots of monkey managers who only want to hit the lazy button.

If you trying to get you foot in the door. I would try getting a finance job. Not as many hours dealing with idiots. The managers in this business want something for nothing. If thats what they want have them hire someone from India. Pay them a third of the money so they can do half a job.

That's what they want and many are doing it. They want you to be from India so they can take advantage of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrschi in El Segundo, California

89 months ago

My thoughts exactly!! I keep hearing that IT is making a comeback, but from what I see employers and recruiting agencies are both guilty of the same thing. They all want you to "hang the sun, moon and stars", but don't want to pay much for the experience that one brings to the table. Those jobs are a waste of my time, and when recruiters email me with such positions, even after 7 years experience, I politely tell them, "thanks but no thanks". I'm worth much more than that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

technogal in Louisville, Colorado

89 months ago

I gotta agree. I have 15 years of experience and make a very nice income. I also have a Masters and a few certifications that are highly in demand. Every now and again I will get a recruiter contacting me about a help desk position that pays about $14 - $17/hr. I kindly reply to them that accepting that position would result in me taking a pay cut equivalent to their annual salary.

They get the point pretty quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

PC & Network Technician in Moretown, Vermont

87 months ago

technogal in Louisville, Colorado said: I gotta agree. I have 15 years of experience and make a very nice income. I also have a Masters and a few certifications that are highly in demand. Every now and again I will get a recruiter contacting me about a help desk position that pays about $14 - $17/hr. I kindly reply to them that accepting that position would result in me taking a pay cut equivalent to their annual salary.

They get the point pretty quickly.

Well, as an IT professional with over 20 years experience I
am seeing a general trend in IT. More and more companies are subcontracting IT. Some how the accounting if favorable to pay $32 to $69 per hour to a contracting firm, instead of
hireing and paying benifiets. I have recently been sub-subcontracted (Third party congtracts with me) and when
favorable I get $18/hr. Doing my own with tax withholding,
etc., $17/hr seems to be the norm.

Even with a wide range of experience, from infrastructure upgrades and installations, to desktop and network support, to software quality assurance, I have to take the lower
paying job as I need income to cover atleast part of my bills.

Where once we could have a job that lasted 10 or more years,
we now are called to 2 hour, 10 hour, 6, 8 or 12 week
contracts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Bryan in Cortland, New York

87 months ago

I totally agree. If they want to pay pennies to those of us who have all of the quals and experience then let them carry on trying. I have, not so politely, told those idiots who contact me with huge offers of $17/hr to put the wage where the sun doesnt shine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Rowe in Newark, Delaware

87 months ago

Lone Star in Cypress, Texas said: I am so tired of seeing these recruiting companies posting very technical jobs at $15 to 20/hr and $30K to 40K per year. What experienced IT person would ever take these jobs? I wonder who is actually taking these jobs? I can take an easier job and make money like that.

who will take these jobs?
Someone from pakistan or india

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.