TIAA-CREF News and Happenings.

Comments (18)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does TIAA-CREF stack up against the competition?

emily in Charlotte, North Carolina

97 months ago

just looking to see if I want to work there

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

97 months ago

Layoff are certain. I can verify that this company is looking to make a 10% reduction across the board at all levels in the very near future. As far as stacking up against the competition, until recently they had none; as a not-for-profit they never had to competitively market their services, only image campaigns were conducted.

Bridget in Denver, Colorado

95 months ago

Kay in Louisville, Colorado said: Layoff are certain. I can verify that this company is looking to make a 10% reduction across the board at all levels in the very near future. As far as stacking up against the competition, until recently they had none; as a not-for-profit they never had to competitively market their services, only image campaigns were conducted.

They are actually hiring a large number of people. This is not accurate information.

Kay in Parker, Colorado

95 months ago

Based on the time I wrote the post and my contacts in Denver that was the case.

John Millen in New York, New York

92 months ago

They are hiring.

Greg Sumpter in Lake Mary, Florida

89 months ago

Take a look at sites like Monster. The postions they are looking for are typically customer service and IT. Theres evidence all over the internet of their IT problems. One rumor is outsoursing. Jobs are primarily in Texas and NC. And they do have major management problems.

Ed Black in New York, New York

89 months ago

They are hiring for low paying jobs. They are also firing more experienced and longer serving employees in order to cut expenses. The average tenure at TIAA-CREF is now less than 2 years - five years ago the average tenure was closer to 10 years. Walk in to any office and chances are you won't see anyone over 50 years old - they get rid of people when their pay and benefits get above a certain level.

Greg Sumpter in Lake Mary, Florida

89 months ago

They don't seem to be replacing positions after they get rid of the people.

TIAA-CRAP in Charlotte, North Carolina

82 months ago

LAYOFFS HAVE BEGUN AT TIAA-CREF AS OF MONDAY 8/4/08. 10% IS THE RUMOR THAT THEY WISH TO ACHIEVE.

T/C IS QUIETLY REDUCING HEAD COUNT IN CHARLOTTE, NC OFFICE. YOU DON'T SEE THAT IN THE PAPERS OR THE NEWS. THEY ARE DOING THIS TO TRIM THE EXPENSES THAT HAVE RUN UP OVER THE TENURE OF THE OUT GOING CEO-HERB 'MERRIL LYNCH' ALLISON.

GO TO WWW.TIAA-CREF.ORG, SEARCH FOR EXECUTIVE COMPENSATION AND READ THE DOCUMENT ON THE GUARENTEED COMPENSATION CONTRACTS OF THE EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT TEAM FOR THIS "NOT FOR PROFIT" ORGANIZATION.

KnowsAbit aboutit in São Paulo, Mississippi

82 months ago

THAT'S A BIG AFFIRMATIVE. MY COUSIN WORKS IN ONE OF THE OFFICES. HE SAYS THEY'RE MAKING THEM LEAVE ALL OF THEIR BELONGINGS ON THEIR DESK. MANAGEMENT WILL BOX IT UP AND MAIL IT TO THEM.

anonymous1201 in Irving, Texas

81 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Massive layoff in the new Lewisville, TX office! They lied to ALL these employees about their jobs and now, before any of their benefits can kick, they're laying them all off. It's a shame that financial institutions have resorted to these kinds of tactics, especially TIAA-CREF. They have been around for 90 years and are now resorting to Big Business practices. If the execs and the board had kept an eye on things as they should have, they wouldn't be joining other financial institutions in this sinking boat now. "Serving the Greater Good", My A**! Any honest companies out there need some good employees?

anonymooose in New Haven, Connecticut

80 months ago

Does anyone know how to get an org chart for the company?

TIAA NOT 4 THE GREATER GOOD! in Charlotte, North Carolina

72 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

THIS WAS THE WORST AND UNORGANIZED COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR! THERE ARE ENTIRELY TOO MANY INCONSISTENCIES. MANAGEMENT IS A JOKE, HOW DO YOU HIRE A MANAGER AND AFTER 2 YEARS OF BEING ON THE JOB THEY STILL HAVE NO CONCEPT OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING!?! AND YES....THERE WILL BE MORE LAYOFFS. YOU'LL SEE!! IT WAS TOO OBVIOUS THEY LAID OFF MOST OF THE RELOCATED NY EMPLOYEES SO THEY CAN HIRE OTHER PEOPLE WITH MUCH LESS PAY!!

Katrina Patterson in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

There is nothing great or good about a company who ruins people's retirement and insurance. A company that allows me to surf the internet all day and there be no accountability for it. The funny thing is I will probably have a package by the time this blog even gets read. Alex Arce is an incompotent manager and at this point, it's sad to say but I'm just taking up space at a pretty comfortable salary. It's too bad for all those New York employees that came down to Charlotte for no aparent reason. I'm 8 years strong and I can say because of my looks and flirting I still have a job. The corporate world is a beautiful place.

Summerbreeze in Mooresville, North Carolina

69 months ago

Katrina,

What department do you work in? I am trying to get on there permanently but I hear it's easier to get your foot in the door as a contractor. I like the environment at cref. Very professional and it's in a great location. I work in uptown right now and it's working my last nerve dealing with all the chaos. Anyways, I'm being considered for a client reporting analyst position at cref in charlotte so we will see what happens. I have done contract work with the company before a few years back.

Katrina Patterson in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

Summerbreeze in Mooresville, North Carolina said: Katrina,

What department do you work in? I am trying to get on there permanently but I hear it's easier to get your foot in the door as a contractor. I like the environment at cref. Very professional and it's in a great location. I work in uptown right now and it's working my last nerve dealing with all the chaos. Anyways, I'm being considered for a client reporting analyst position at cref in charlotte so we will see what happens. I have done contract work with the company before a few years back.

I work in policy service, used to be LTC until they phased that position out

Constance Wells in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

Katrina,
I would appreciate any contacts in the Denver, CO office around the area of IT. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.