How to get a job at Target.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Do you work at Target? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

visitor in Hutchinson, Minnesota

94 months ago

Honestly, i think the only reason they hired me was because I said I would work at 5:00 in the morning. They like people with a wide open availability. Of course you have to pass the interview too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

John in Hacienda Heights, California

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Target? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

DONT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (251) Reply - Report abuse

Been there done that in Saint Paul, Minnesota

91 months ago

I agree. In the current climate, don't. Try back in 2 years once the CEO change happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Been there done that in Saint Paul, Minnesota

91 months ago

Nepotism works well at Target. Marry a child of one of the execs in power or become good friends with a child of one of the execs in power. Then you can pretty much do anything to anyone and get promoted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Safety Jim Gossel in Saratoga Springs, New York

89 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Target? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I was working close to Target when the company built in my area. I was impressed with the company. I was careful to be on time (Target loves this). I answered all the questions with truth and was hired. I worked very happy and very hard for 3.5 years then as a man approaching 50 I was unable to push 100% production at all times. I worked hard for Safety and helped in all areas pick up debris help other Teammates. But alas I had to quit. I miss my time as Safety Jim and a Communications Committee Member at T-579 alot.
I hope you arrive on time look sharp speak truth and get that job with Target. Then if you get up the ladder please contact Safety Jim so I can finish the job I was working on at Target which is making Target truly Fast Fun and Friendly where all employees are truly the Power of One. Where there is no need for outside labor relations because we are united as One at Target.
Cheers ,
Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Tennessee Dave in Johnson City, Tennessee

67 months ago

You must be a blond bimbo, a recent college grad, 22 years old or less, well-built, and have zero work experience. The new official policy is that 80 percent of new hires must fit this profile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

Maria Bourne in New York, New York

65 months ago

Jessica - thanks for your post. I had a final interview with the District Manager on Thursday and the recruiter said she would definitely follow-up by the end of the weekend, but I never got a call? Does that mean I didn't get the job? How long did it take for them to give you an offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Plainsboro, New Jersey

40 months ago

I applied for a future opening at Target. I received a phone call a few days later and they asked me to come in the next morning for an interview. I was interviewed by two different people. After the 2nd interview she left the office for a moment and she told me that she was checking with HR to see if they could offer me employment that same day. Well, the HR person was not in and I was told that I would be getting a phone call for an offer of employment. I was told at the time that they would love to bring me on but had to wait for the call from HR. Does this mean yes or no because it has been 4 days? Or should I just calm down. The job market is just brutal out there and I am praying this works out for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

roinujo1 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

29 months ago

Well, I really want a job at target. I filled out an online application, but the problem is I have a sheet of volunteer experience that I want to submit to show them that even though I don't have working experience, I have volunteer experience to bring to the table. So my question is does Target still have paper applications. And also, do any of you think that having volunteer experience will increase your chances of getting the job? I really show them I am serious about this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Snowden in Olney, Maryland

29 months ago

Put your volunteer experience down as your work experience. But if I were you I would consider working somewhere else. They really don't treat there employees well, but good luck on getting a job at target. Usually they are quick to call you for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kflow77 in Bakersfield, California

19 months ago

I applied at Target, and received a call back, which turned out to be an impromptu phone interview. I passed muster, and was granted an interview later that week. I took their online assessment before the interview. I sat for two back to back interviews with two different store managers. They both went well. I was then called by one of the store managers and told she wanted me to be her new ETL Softlines manager, but that I had to interview with the DM first. That day. So I managed to juggle my schedule, drive across town in the summer heat with no air-conditioning for my interview. I think it may have lasted a total of 3 minutes. She asked me to describe myself--I gave a quick synopsis, she then asked why retail, I said because I think there are many opportunities to grow, and that I felt it would be the best field in which to utilize my excellent people skills. She then asked if I had job shadowed (shouldn't she have already known that info?)--I said no, and she told me someone would contact me in 24 hours to set it up, then I would interview with her again, then another District Overseer of some sort--the next rung above her. So. My question is: Did I screw something up? Do I still have a shot? Was this a polite way of getting me out of her office? Did she take a dislike to my eyebrows? What does it mean????????? Ugh. I'm dying here. I really want this job. I'm making $10 an hour part-time. All I have left for food is frozen rice. The Store Manager made it sound as though if I didn't screw up the interview, I had the job. Why do I feel as though I somehow screwed up the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LUKE BRYAN in Laval, Quebec

14 months ago

I applied online and i had an interview, i think it went well but i was told i wuld get an email from HR if i got the job or not,
(store is not open up yet )
but if i got the job woudn't they tell me on the spot?
why would they make me wait a week n say NO I DIDN'T QUALIFY

that's worse than breaking up with someone by text!

the question is CAN I GET QUALIFIED BY EMAIL?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kaliey in Coppell, Texas

13 months ago

From my experience, no. They usually tell you in person. Of course this store isn't open yet, so it might be different, but I doubt it. I have done a few interviews with Target. When I got the job, they told me immediately. When I didn't get the job, they put me off saying HR will contact me. So odds are, you did not get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LUKE BRYAN in Laval, Quebec

13 months ago

Kaliey in Coppell, Texas said: From my experience, no. They usually tell you in person. Of course this store isn't open yet, so it might be different, but I doubt it. I have done a few interviews with Target. When I got the job, they told me immediately. When I didn't get the job, they put me off saying HR will contact me. So odds are, you did not get the job.

thanks for the help :) i'll go back when a i get the rejection email and tell them off ,
here in Quebec if you're not french speaking enough they treat you like an imigrant,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kathleena in Surrey, British Columbia

2 months ago

not all targets are the same so you cant say not to work there i have got a call for my first interview over the phone and they said the hr will call me in 24 hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CarloMarx in Virginia Beach, Virginia

18 days ago

I got through the application but it was kicked back saying
The hourly rate or salary you entered is invalid. Please re-enter your hourly rate or salary.

I have a minor in applied mathematics and have tried every combination of possible values with decimals, without......I even pro rated my hourly salary to represent the equivalent compensation. I couldn't find a message board with a solution and I don't want to buy a gift card to speak to a meat puppet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.