The hiring process...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Jennifer4543 in Upstate, New York

68 months ago

I happened to send in a resume for TW on August 2nd. I received a call from them over 2 weeks ago. On the telephone, I was given something like a pre-interview, to which I apparently did well. From there, I was directed to a website to take an assessment. I completed the assessment and now have just been floating around waiting for some sort of response, albeit positive or negative. I was wondering if this is normal?

Last week, I emailed the lady that I had been going back and forth with to ask her what the status of my application was- as I have to register for classes soon and whether or not I'm a candidate depends on classes that I take. i received no response what-so-ever.

I'm at a point where I need a job desperately, having just moved to the area from NYC, so I'll take anything... also believe it or not, it's the highest salary I've been offered since living here. I was wondering if this is normal. I have registration for classes on Wednesday and I just can't get a straight answer. Am I to assume I didn't get the position, or do they just make you wait a ridiculous amount of time for this. Starting from the point I sent my resume in, it's been 5 weeks.

Also, I must add- I find it very unprofessional that she didn't even acknowledge my email to her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Orion37 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

68 months ago

I'm having the same problem with them. I attended a "job fair" with them last year, and was told they were impressed with my resume as well as the fact that I actually dressed appropriately for an interview. It was 110 degrees that day and everyone else showed up in shorts and t-shirts. Also my resume was neatly printed on bonded paper, in a resume folder, with professional references and a letter of recommendation. Everyone else brought copy paper and hand written resumes.

I don't have any cable experience but was told it was not needed since I'd be applying as an entry level installer and training would be provided. The benefits seemed to be really good and I liked the fact that they actively promote from within the company. They said they were having the job fair because they were acquiring new markets and thus needed more installers and service techs. There were open positions, but I could not apply immediately because I had to get a driver license for this state (I had a valid NY license). After getting my new license I E-mailed my interviewer and received no response. I thought this was strange because he praised me for showing up as I did and gave me his contact info. Why would someone give you their contact info if they don't want you to contact them?

I've applied several times since then and have received no response. I talked with one of their service techs and he suggested that I take them another resume and try to speak with the supervisor in charge of the installers, so I did but to no avail. The supervisor was supposedly out of town but I could tell that the girl at the counter was just covering for him. I even recently tried applying for a customer service position with them but still no response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Orion37 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

68 months ago

I've come to the conclusion that it has to be some type of good old boy network or buddy-hire system they have there and the job fair and job postings are just a formality. I understand that it's common practice to hire from personal referrals but if that's the case then don't post the jobs if you have no intention of filling the positions from outside sources, or at least follow your company's HR policies. They have a Gov't contract which means they probably have to post the jobs to keep their contracts or subsidies. I was reading somewhere that any business who has a Gov't contract has to hire a certain amount of veterans but I'm thinking this is not the case either since I was shown no veteran's preference or at least the courtesy of a return E-mail or phone call.

Also the application website is a joke. There is a specific format they want, but you won't know it unless you click the help button. Also I don't see how your cable payment history is a reflection of the job you'll perform with them. If anything, since one of the benefits is free cable, you would think it wouldn't matter. Plus a poor cable payment history might be an indication of low wages, and not an unwillingness to pay.

On the upside, everyone I've met that works for them seems to be happy which is why I'm trying so hard to get a job with them. The pay is pretty good for this area plus free cable means one less bill I have to pay. I think they also help you buy a new computer after 6 months or something like that. A friend of mine works for them in the Buffalo area and was telling me about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer4543 in Upstate, New York

67 months ago

Well about 3 days after I posted the question, they finally called me. I still think it was incredibly unprofessional that the woman didn't even acknowledge my attempt to reach her. While I'm relieved that they finally did, I must say, the hiring process is time consuming and if you ask me a little silly. I've already been told that the training is long and almost strenuous. It is 10 weeks long and will not start until the middle of October. (Mind you, I applied for this job on August 2nd.) I seem to have reached phase 4 with these people, they just asked me for the email address of at least 5 references. Now I have to hope that my former supervisors are bored enough to sit there and fill out a 20+ question survey as well as anticipate a possible phone call to answer questions about me. From here I suppose after they receive all of their responses, I have to take my drug test and wait a few days for them to get the results... and then, we'll see. Personally, I feel they should've asked for the information from the references right away, as who knows when a supervisor i had from a job 8 years ago, will be able to get back to them.

Good luck on your end of things. If I were you I would just continuously send that resume in. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease and odds are you're definitely qualified for the position. Are you searching for openings in all of your surrounding areas? I live in the southern tier and for months I searched for Binghamton, not realizing that Vestal- a town a hell of a lot closer to me, was in the list. Ultimately there were several openings there that applied to me (also a person with no cable experince) and that's where I received my call back from. It is a little confusing though with their site, they should group the cities according to their location in the state, not alphabetically.

I must admit, I never anticipated being employed at job I applied for in August... in the middle of October.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

carl yarbor in Greensboro, North Carolina

26 months ago

Does time warner give typing test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bjstar60 in Newark, Ohio

20 months ago

Jennifer4543 in Upstate, New York said: I happened to send in a resume for TW on August 2nd. I received a call from them over 2 weeks ago. On the telephone, I was given something like a pre-interview, to which I apparently did well. From there, I was directed to a website to take an assessment. I completed the assessment and now have just been floating around waiting for some sort of response, albeit positive or negative. I was wondering if this is normal?

Last week, I emailed the lady that I had been going back and forth with to ask her what the status of my application was- as I have to register for classes soon and whether or not I'm a candidate depends on classes that I take. i received no response what-so-ever.

I'm at a point where I need a job desperately, having just moved to the area from NYC, so I'll take anything... also believe it or not, it's the highest salary I've been offered since living here. I was wondering if this is normal. I have registration for classes on Wednesday and I just can't get a straight answer. Am I to assume I didn't get the position, or do they just make you wait a ridiculous amount of time for this. Starting from the point I sent my resume in, it's been 5 weeks.

Also, I must add- I find it very unprofessional that she didn't even acknowledge my email to her.

My advice to you is keep calling her repeatedly until she answers your phone call. Remember, she is extremely busy and probably involved with other tasks which is the reason for repeatedly calling her until your call is answered. TWC is well worth working for and is rated number 47 on the Fortune 500 list. Good luck on your endeavor in getting hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Endicott, New York

19 months ago

Jennifer4543 in Upstate, New York said: I happened to send in a resume for TW on August 2nd. I received a call from them over 2 weeks ago. On the telephone, I was given something like a pre-interview, to which I apparently did well. From there, I was directed to a website to take an assessment. I completed the assessment and now have just been floating around waiting for some sort of response, albeit positive or negative. I was wondering if this is normal?

Also, I must add- I find it very unprofessional that she didn't even acknowledge my email to her.[/QUO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Endicott, New York

19 months ago

My advice. Look for employment with other companies. Companies like time warner cable that make hiring decsions based on a stupid assessment test don't deserve good hard working people. They are such a waste of time. You sit there for almost an hour answering stupid questions that are going to measure whether your a hard working dedicated worker who can get the job done only to be told at the end of the test "sorry we have no employment opportunities for you at this time but please sign up for job alerts from our website so you can apply for other opportunities in the future and take our stupid assessment evaluation test again". I to took one of these test for a sales position with "Fastenal Company". I was tops in sales for my office for the company I was selling for before they pulled out of my area. I was passed over without even an phone interview or face to face because I obviously failed the assessment test. Oh well, I must be ignorant or lazy according to the test. There are plenty of companies out there that do hiring the proper respectful way. I work for one now. Stay away from the companies that choose the lazy path to hiring and base your qualifications on an assessment test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.