Employment Rejection : Toys R Us

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Harold7 in Ontario, California

60 months ago

I spent a good length of time applying for a basic sales associate position. I have over 5 years of retail/customer service experience and also have a BA degree. I have never been fired or layed off, no criminal record too. I even have decent credit. I wanted a simply part time position in these hard economic times we live in to pay my bills. And what did I get after a lengthy on line application asking at the end for age, race, ss#, credit check, criminal back ground check..etc?

I got an email an hour later stating, "Thank you for your interest in the Sales Associate position. Unfortunately, we currently do not have an opening that matches your qualifications and experience."

Sorry Toys R Us, but this is BS and a simple discrimination process of applicants!

I do not want to work for you now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rummah Kasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of retail. When times are good, they will do anything to lure people in. When times are bad, they will prop their feet on the desk and want to know why they should hire YOU.
Assuming we do get out of the current economic mess, keep the way you were treated in mind when you do land a job. You'll know who not to fool with ever again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chellie in Poughkeepsie, New York

59 months ago

Harold7 in Ontario, California said: I spent a good length of time applying for a basic sales associate position. I have over 5 years of retail/customer service experience and also have a BA degree. I have never been fired or layed off, no criminal record too. I even have decent credit. I wanted a simply part time position in these hard economic times we live in to pay my bills. And what did I get after a lengthy on line application asking at the end for age, race, ss#, credit check, criminal back ground check..etc?

I got an email an hour later stating, "Thank you for your interest in the Sales Associate position. Unfortunately, we currently do not have an opening that matches your qualifications and experience."

Sorry Toys R Us, but this is BS and a simple discrimination process of applicants!

I do not want to work for you now!

Kudos to u! I too applied for a department manager position and they told me the same thing. Funny isn't it when I have 7 years of being an assistant manager in retail. Well look at it as thier loss, they turned down someone who probably would have been a great employee. I've noticed in these days and times you are asked if you know anyone employed at the place. I'm sure if you do you get the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Houston713 in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

I applied online for a part time off hour’s stock crew position. I'm a degreed candidate (B.S. in Business Administration) with over 7 years professional experience. I’m currently working full time, and was interested in a part time position to bring in extra income for my family. I completed the lengthy application and received a voice-mail 2 days ago from a lady by the name of Ramona asking me to call her back between the hours of 10am-6pm Thursday. I contacted her this morning. She was very short and unprofessional. She mentioned that she was busy and would have to call me back, I said ok, she said better yet she would contact me via email and hung up. That was the entire conversation, nothing more. I received an email 30 minutes later stating “Based upon your responses to our pre-qualification questions and/or work experience, we regret to inform you that we are pursuing other candidates for this position at this time.”

I find it very bizarre that the lady would even call and leave a voicemail if there was no interest in my application. Ultimately, it just shows what type of management Toys “R” Us hires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Grand Rapids, Michigan

36 months ago

I also applied for a off hours stock position at my local Toys"R" Us. When I called to find out if the position has been filled they informed. Me that the reason the was because I did not score high enough on the appitude questionaire. Get this the jobs at both Kmart and Target was a off hour stock jobs for a total of 7 yeara.
How is that for not having the qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C Chapman in Seal Beach, California

33 months ago

When I tried to apply for a sales associate position, I too was unable to complete the application because at the end of their form, you are asked to input your birthday. The range was from 1968 to 1998. There was no way to fill in a date other than was listed in the range. I have over 40 years experience in retail sales. I guess well qualified, older candidates are just not qualified for hire at Toys “R” Us. I guess I will also take my business elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Monroe, Louisiana

19 months ago

Toys R Us --HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK-my son just wanted a seasonal shelf stocking job. He is a very hard worker. The night 'manager' was mentally abusive. One night, after 2 hours of work, they were all called together and fired---no explanation as to why. Will not shop there ever again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jarred in Fresno, California

15 months ago

Same here. Just got the email. I think a lot of employers look at the assessment test vs qualifications. It's complete BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.