Constant Openings?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

poormommy in Sharpsburg, MD

92 months ago

US Cellular did the same to me, I have 18 years of management and technical expierence. I went through 4 interviews, took their compentency test and passed with flying colors only to be told that they would call me in on a friday or a monday. The phone call did not come. I called the recruiter and she didn't even know what was going on. I recieved a voicemail two weeks later stating they were still considering me and never a call since. It seems this is a perpetual advertisement they put on as if they are looking for really good people, however, they set me up by telling me for the last interview:L that i had "made it through the hard part". Needless to say no job here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Overqualified?. in Durant, OK

92 months ago

As a 50 year old leaving a 15 year career as a supervisor in the medical profession and a former business owner I can't get a job at all. As for the self-serving perpetual advertisements there are tons of companies doing the same. You also end up on lots of email and phone lists when answering these ads for openings. Young, rude and inexperienced seems to be the criteria for getting jobs these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dglvrs286

92 months ago

I have just been through all the testing and thought I had done fine. I have experience also, but I think because I am 50 years old, the younger candidate got the job, she knew the interviewer,that is the way things are done here in Knoxville, Tn. If you dont know someone, no matter how much experience, You Will NOT get the job.????It is harder for we more experienced folks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

firestar in Sharpsburg, Maryland

92 months ago

it's not the area your in, it is the company you applied for. this is their way of doing business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dglvrs286

92 months ago

Yes, you maybe right! In any event I am not pleased with how and why I did not get this job. Recieved a rejection by email within 20 mins of finishing my tests. I was told that I had a very good score and had a good chance. The young man was in front of me, knew the interviewer and got the job. The lady after me had no chance either. I searched and got the address to the ceo and the head of human resources. The letter is in the mail. Not that it will help. But it sure makes me feel better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dglvrs286

92 months ago

Yes, you maybe right. I regret waisting my precious time on this job. I so regret it that I wrote the head honcho in the human resource dept. in Chicago.
Not that it will help, but it was worth waisting his time, since his department waisted mine. Anyone want the address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dglvrs286

92 months ago

US Cellular
8410 West Byrn Mawr Ave.
Suite 700
Chicago, Il. 60631
c/o Jeffrey J. Childs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ggeorgie

92 months ago

Yup, don't waste your time, just mve on to another company, if you feel qualified, then it is their loss. find a company who pay attention and reward talent.

barb4318 in Madison, Wisconsin

92 months ago

Worked for them for 7 years. You might as well go into politics. They have the culture they "shout to employees" and tell them they have, and they have the "real" culture. Be glad you're not with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Lincoln, Nebraska

91 months ago

The job market is competitive, can you guys not see that? Your 50 and have experience, so what! Was it good experience? Do you have a great personality, do you have a ton of energy? Do you have a great drive to succeed? If you do, maybe you didn't show that. I work for a company that does personality surveys (not US Cellular) and sometimes if you by accident click on the wrong answer for a question you get kicked out of the job search, it sucks, but that is the computer age we are in. I think automatically thinking you are the best is a little conceeded, try calling and asking why you didn't get it. I have done that with several companies and they were very honest with their answers wether I liked them or not.

Also, as far as not responding fast enough, it is because they have a zillion resumes to chose from. In my previous job we put a job out on monster.com and automatically received over 500 resumes that were set up to send to available sales positions in our area. In with those were also a few that actually cared about the position. There is a chance we missed some of those. There is also a chance your resume sucked, many people think they have a great resume and they are kidding themselves.

In summary, take a look at yourself for once and quit blaming everyone else for your troubles. You have no idea what they are thinking and no idea why they didn't chose you, so get off your high horse and see what YOU can do better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Overqualified in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

91 months ago

Nebraska Bill, I hope you possess "personality and tons of energy" because your spelling could use a little work. I could spot your mistakes all the way up here on my 50 year old high horse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dglvrs286

91 months ago

Bill, where did you ever find the time to write all that? Don`t you have sucky
resumes to read?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Right and Wrong in Cherokee, Oklahoma

91 months ago

I agree with the replies stating that this company is trying to help its image, many companies do this, but i totally disagree and am a little upset at the comments targeted towards the youngsters. Enterprise rent-a-car hires tons of young people, not because they are young and RUDE, but because they have the DRIVE many older people who have been around awhile do not. Young employees offer many advantages older employees don't, mainly that the company can train them as they want, not get an old timer set in their ways. This company does very well and is constantly climbing, so take it easy on the young ones!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Old Enough to Know Better in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

91 months ago

An "old timer" probably trained you and anyone over 40 usually gets those same comments on the job. By the way that's called harrassment and akin to a hostile work environment. Thee "youngsters" let me train them well enough to be credentialed and paid more. Then they log onto the internet on company time to look for better paying jobs, pay their bills and look for a better rate on their phone plan. "Set in their ways" to you means follows the rules and has a work ethic to the "old timers". Guess what kiddo you're not getting any younger. Thanks for the tip about Enterprise's
"old timer" hiring policy. That explains why they didn't hire me although I had 4 years experience in the rental game. Sounds like a good reason to file a complaint for discriminatory hiring practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

uh huh in Cherokee, Oklahoma

91 months ago

I am not saying anybody, especially the company i named wont hire you if you are older, just using a personal example. i just think it was wrong for the person to stereotype all young people as rude. Often times, and i am not saying always, they are stuck in a bad situation because if a college graduate tries to get an entry level job, often times they are told they are overqualified, even if they are not, then if they apply for a more advanced position they are told they need more experience, all people can have trouble finding jobs, whether it be if your young and "rude" or old and "stubborn". And as far as training young kids and then them moving on to better jobs, well thats life, and if you paid them better to begin with instead of taking advantage of them they would not leave.

Someone in Illinois in Joliet, Illinois

91 months ago

I think this company has issues as I too have had interviews and have applied many of times. I am sure glad I will not be workng for a company that is not employee friendly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ya gotta be kiddin me in Elgin, Illinois

90 months ago

I am a seasoned 25 year communications vet who has seen and done it all (or at least most) I have sent in 3 responses to jobs advertised having the exact qualifications they are looking for and have never gotten a response. Go figure!

Hi in Knoxville, Tennessee

90 months ago

I work for US Cellular, and have for 2 and 1/2 years. We hire people all the time. We constantly have new people coming in. We don't only hire young people. More than half of the last group hired in were over 50. The recruiters look for people that are positive and have a lot of enthusiasm. You don't have to know the person. (I didn't and neither did anybody I know there). I didn't do very well on my test when I went for my first interview, but I still got the job. I really didn't think I would, and it took about a month to hear back after my 2nd interview. We get so many applications everyday, it takes a while to go thru them all. It really is a great place to work, and part of that is because of the great people that work there. If you are not a happy, positive, hard working person, you won't get hired. We have such great customer service because are people are nice people, and are willing to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

STL CHICK08 in Saint Louis, Missouri

90 months ago

I've beentrying and trying to get hired for us cellusr and don't look like to me that the interviews i've been to has really even helped me at all. I took the assessment test and passed, I passed the phone interview, and I had another interview that lasted only 15 minutes, and the gentleman that gave the interview told me he would contact me in seven days and never did call me back. I've been going thru this hiring process for about 4-5 weeks now and actually haven't gotten anywhere. I dont think that it should take this long to find out if you are hird or not. US CELLULAR is full of it and they know it, thats why it takes so long for anyone to get hired. You should'nt have to run back and forth to their corporate office wasting gas(2.10/gallon here) and still don't know if you got the job. So this company(us cellular)needs to be a little more upfront about who they hire and who they dont hire. Poor, Poor shame.

90 months ago

Sorry about my mistakes in my little brief story about us cellular. Some mistakes should'nt have happened but they happened anyway. Sorry thanks!!!!!

90 months ago

I actually don't understand why US CELLULAR always have these constant openings for different positions in their stores worldwide or where ever they are located, and waste folks time by not hiring them. This is ridiculous because people need a change in life, then when you think you've found a change they b.s. around with your app and resume. For crying out loud this company should give people a chance at the position and if it dont work out hire new people. Thats why so many people are unemployed as of right now, because of the b.s. you have to put up with when you get a little funky interview from companys like this one.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choo-Choo in Streamwood, Illinois

90 months ago

US Cellular is a fake "nice" company. They chew through employees and anyone who doesn't drink the Koolade is quickly driven out the door. They say one thing and do another -- completely hypocritical. Be glad you did not get a job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

barb4318 in Madison, Wisconsin

90 months ago

Amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Illinois in Joliet, Illinois

90 months ago

I so totally agree with you on that, For all of us that have better than great experience we are sucked out of jobs. For the company to say we are looking for more experienced How much can someone that is over 40 have...I am 100% sure its better than someone that is 20...

m in Frederick, Maryland

90 months ago

time and time again this job listing is posted, they still haven't found the wonderful dynamic super dynamo they are seeking....makes you wonder, do they really ever hire? or do they have to recruit all the time so they can keep fooder for the associates they chewed up and spit out.

Glad to be gone in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

90 months ago

I gave five years of service to this company, and can tell you that while they preach "dynamic organization" it is often a slogan that is used to fire people, and to treat their employees horribly. You can be told you are not dynamic enough, thought there is no clear deffinition of what is expected. I watched a revolving door during my time with the company, and was glad to move on. This is the experience I had, as well as many good colleagues that have gone by the wayside.

cindy in Florissant, Missouri

89 months ago

your right i worked for them to go some where else. they shout this culture thing and it all a bunch of bologna.

km in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

Hey Bill...you spelled conceited wrong; it's not conceeded smarty pants...hahahaha!

Bill said: The job market is competitive, can you guys not see that? Your 50 and have experience, so what! Was it good experience? Do you have a great personality, do you have a ton of energy? Do you have a great drive to succeed? If you do, maybe you didn't show that. I work for a company that does personality surveys (not US Cellular) and sometimes if you by accident click on the wrong answer for a question you get kicked out of the job search, it sucks, but that is the computer age we are in. I think automatically thinking you are the best is a little conceeded, try calling and asking why you didn't get it. I have done that with several companies and they were very honest with their answers wether I liked them or not.
Also, as far as not responding fast enough, it is because they have a zillion resumes to chose from. In my previous job we put a job out on monster.com and automatically received over 500 resumes that were set up to send to available sales positions in our area. In with those were also a few that actually cared about the position. There is a chance we missed some of those. There is also a chance your resume sucked, many people think they have a great resume and they are kidding themselves.
In summary, take a look at yourself for once and quit blaming everyone else for your troubles. You have no idea what they are thinking and no idea why they didn't chose you, so get off your high horse and see what YOU can do better.

old lady in Beloit, Wisconsin

88 months ago

barb4318 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Worked for them for 7 years. You might as well go into politics. They have the culture they "shout to employees" and tell them they have, and they have the "real" culture. Be glad you're not with this company.

hi, barb! I wonder if I know you? I worked for them for 6 years. I got the axe right after they posted the core value of "diversity" - After they fired me, and the slightly older 50 something guy next to me, the coach I worked for had a team of all white, urban, 35 and unders. I worked in the old Waukesha building, the Madison building, and the new Pewaukee call center. I worked every shift, including overnight when they had it back in the day. I taught a training class and did mentoring of new employees. best luck and wishes to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Working It Out in Herndon, Virginia said: US Cellular is one of the many companies constantly advertising openings. It makes you wonder if these are actually open positions of self-serving advertisements to make people think they are bigger than they are. I've applied, interviewed and apparently didn't fit the mold, three times. I'm a 40 year old seasoned sales professional with 20 years of B2B, route and customer service sales under my belt. The mold would appear to be young, inexperienced and poorly prepared to deal with real people. I am also a US Cellular customer so I deal with their employees all the time.

US CELLULAR DISCRIMINATES AGAINST OLDER WORKERS. THEIR CALL CENTERS LOOK MUCH LIKE THEIR STORES - NOONE OVER 30 NEED APPLY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Hi in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I work for US Cellular, and have for 2 and 1/2 years. We hire people all the time. We constantly have new people coming in. We don't only hire young people. More than half of the last group hired in were over 50. The recruiters look for people that are positive and have a lot of enthusiasm. You don't have to know the person. (I didn't and neither did anybody I know there). I didn't do very well on my test when I went for my first interview, but I still got the job. I really didn't think I would, and it took about a month to hear back after my 2nd interview. We get so many applications everyday, it takes a while to go thru them all. It really is a great place to work, and part of that is because of the great people that work there. If you are not a happy, positive, hard working person, you won't get hired. We have such great customer service because are people are nice people, and are willing to learn.

YOU SOUND LIKE ME AFTER 2 YEARS, I WONDER WHAT YOU WILL SOUND LIKE AFTER 5? ASSUMING YOU WILL STILL BE THERE.

barb4318 in Stoughton, Wisconsin

88 months ago

Hi! Actually I don't know why it shows up Madison for me. I was an AAE In Rockford. If you worked the call centers, I'm sure we've talked!

88 months ago

cindy in Florissant, Missouri said: your right i worked for them to go some where else. they shout this culture thing and it all a bunch of bologna.

Cindy,
bologna is way more polite than I would have been. I used to say that they(corporate in Chicago)could call bulls..t chocolate all they wanted, but they couldn't make me swallow it.

88 months ago

Choo-Choo in Streamwood, Illinois said: US Cellular is a fake "nice" company. They chew through employees and anyone who doesn't drink the Koolade is quickly driven out the door. They say one thing and do another -- completely hypocritical. Be glad you did not get a job there.

better off working for the devil.. at least you know where you stand.... I remember leadership(ha) wearing pins that said ask me why.. what an idiot.. I asked why

88 months ago

barb4318 in Stoughton, Wisconsin said: Hi! Actually I don't know why it shows up Madison for me. I was an AAE In Rockford. If you worked the call centers, I'm sure we've talked!

yeah, I've been getting weird cities, too.. maybe they are trying to protect us, not a bad idea... I think I know who you are... I'm trying to think of a safe way to ask what your last name is.. I remember you because your last name is the same as my best friend, and SHE had an aunt named Barb. My first name is very distinctive, so I will NOT use it here. Lets just say that I was someone you would talk to right after you talked to a standard customer service rep.

88 months ago

barb4318 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Amen

double dog amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barb4318 in Stoughton, Wisconsin

88 months ago

too bad there's not a way to share email address without posting it here!

88 months ago

barb4318 in Stoughton, Wisconsin said: too bad there's not a way to share email address without posting it here!

yeah, Im real sure I know who you are, and I bet you would recognize my name. Think abot 1st grade reading class

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

87 months ago

old lady in Beloit, Wisconsin said: yeah, Im real sure I know who you are, and I bet you would recognize my name. Think abot 1st grade reading class

From the sounds of it you worked in the Help Desk. I was let go in August of 2005 and EVERYONE heard about it within an hour of me getting walked out. If you are you I think you are, your last name starts with a J. I too have a very distinctive first name, so I will not use it here, but I was engaged to a gal that worked in the center as well, one that I referred. She was short, and had dyed red hair. I do agree with all of the negative (true) statements made about the company. I'm glad I was let go, because I got a better job for a much better company, and a lot higher pay for the same work.

87 months ago

Thank you to all the english majors out there. Back to the point, you all think you are qualified and you think you have "earned" a job with this company. Do you really think you should have a job because you have been there a long time? Obviously you haven't been a manager before. I actually did not get hired after a very long process. Why? BECAUSE I WASN'T THE BEST CANDIDATE!! Who cares if you are male or female, white or black, 25 or 75, a good company is a very picky company. I'm sure US Cellular is as glad that you don't work for them as you are glad you did not get hired. I am glad I looked at the company. All of your attitudes show through in interviews. I just can't believe you don't know that. Once again, get over yourselves and look for a different job.

As for all this time on my hands, I have two children, one of which has cancer and a trach tube and I work 60 hours a week an hour away from home. Don't even think of talking about time with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nun Ur Biz in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

Bill in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Thank you to all the english majors out there. Back to the point, you all think you are qualified and you think you have "earned" a job with this company. Do you really think you should have a job because you have been there a long time? Obviously you haven't been a manager before. I actually did not get hired after a very long process. Why? BECAUSE I WASN'T THE BEST CANDIDATE!! Who cares if you are male or female, white or black, 25 or 75, a good company is a very picky company. I'm sure US Cellular is as glad that you don't work for them as you are glad you did not get hired. I am glad I looked at the company. All of your attitudes show through in interviews. I just can't believe you don't know that. Once again, get over yourselves and look for a different job.

As for all this time on my hands, I have two children, one of which has cancer and a trach tube and I work 60 hours a week an hour away from home. Don't even think of talking about time with me.

Bill, although what you said bites, you are very right on the money. I hope your child gets better.

Nun Ur Biz in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

www.indeed.com is not a peer-bonding group or a "girl-support group." We (or maybe its just me) are here to find jobs or help in that regards. I read the messages and the only information I gain is what... People send 5 messages saying the same thing; on 5 different topics? Hey, some of us want to work for US Cellular (the bad aspects of the company are well noted.) Does anyone have any information related to getting a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

[Edited by host]

As for the person looking to work for US Cellular, you are right, this is an informative chat. I was incredibly impressed with every person I met. If they were leading me on they are very organized about it. Go after the career and don't let some silly online chat sway you. Stay level headed and open minded.

Most of all, thank you for the well wishes. It is greatly appreciated.

old lady in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

87 months ago

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: From the sounds of it you worked in the Help Desk. I was let go in August of 2005 and EVERYONE heard about it within an hour of me getting walked out. If you are you I think you are, your last name starts with a J. I too have a very distinctive first name, so I will not use it here, but I was engaged to a gal that worked in the center as well, one that I referred. She was short, and had dyed red hair. I do agree with all of the negative (true) statements made about the company. I'm glad I was let go, because I got a better job for a much better company, and a lot higher pay for the same work.

You are half right. Im not going to say which half, again, one needs to protect oneself. I wish you and your girl friend well.

old lady in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

87 months ago

If I hadn't picked the screen name I did, I could tell you what my last name begins with, as they fired another person whose name begins with H. I also heard that the coach who fired me, 2 other younger males, and the only person on the team older than me got demoted. Point being, no matter how in favor you are today, tomorrow, you are gone. Seems to me that any coach who needs to fire 1/3 of his team in a year just might have some of his own issues.

very disqruntelled ex employee in Mukwonago, Wisconsin

85 months ago

I worked for US Cellular for aprox 2 months. For anyone that works there or has worked there it's a load of crap!! The word cult fits well. I did meet the "big shot" Jack Rooney which I thought was great because in no other office I worked for did you know what the "bigshot" even looked like. Anyway, you go through about 5 weeks of training on the edge of your seat hoping you're not going to get fired through the whole thing. I made it out of the training and onto the floor for a week and a half for them to fire me for being 2 min tardy back from my lunch break!! I've never had attendence issues or tardiness with past employers. I loved my job before that and would have never quit if I didn't move. They wasted my time and hurt my pride. They are "all about the costomer" and making their employees happy but you are constently stressed about whether you will keep your job or not. Really people they are not worth your time!! And don't even think about getting sick or having to go home early because of your children or family.

old lady in Watertown, Wisconsin

85 months ago

very disqruntelled ex employee in Mukwonago, Wisconsin said: I worked for US Cellular for aprox 2 months. For anyone that works there or has worked there it's a load of crap!! The word cult fits well. I did meet the "big shot" Jack Rooney which I thought was great because in no other office I worked for did you know what the "bigshot" even looked like. Anyway, you go through about 5 weeks of training on the edge of your seat hoping you're not going to get fired through the whole thing. I made it out of the training and onto the floor for a week and a half for them to fire me for being 2 min tardy back from my lunch break!! I've never had attendence issues or tardiness with past employers. I loved my job before that and would have never quit if I didn't move. They wasted my time and hurt my pride. They are "all about the costomer" and making their employees happy but you are constently stressed about whether you will keep your job or not. Really people they are not worth your time!! And don't even think about getting sick or having to go home early because of your children or family.

you are lucky you didn't waste more of your time with them.

nun ur biz in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

dglvrs286 said: Yes, you maybe right. I regret waisting my precious time on this job. I so regret it that I wrote the head honcho in the human resource dept. in Chicago.
Not that it will help, but it was worth waisting his time, since his department waisted mine. Anyone want the address?

No, the joke is on you, you wasted your own time again. He definitely did not read the letter.

thatguy in Knoxville, Tennessee

84 months ago

Whoever said they hire people all the time in the Knoxville office is full of it. I like many other people here have years of experience in the customer service and telecommunications industry and I just went through the whole assessment testing thing today and was turned down because according to them I did not have enough experience and while I was in the office waiting on my test results (which I passed btw) a girl I knew (who has zero customer service experience)called in and they hired her over the phone without doing any assessment testing at all which I was told was company policy so explain that one to me hotshot.

What a fake company! in Waukesha, Wisconsin

81 months ago

Bill in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Thank you to all the english majors out there. Back to the point, you all think you are qualified and you think you have "earned" a job with this company. Do you really think you should have a job because you have been there a long time? Obviously you haven't been a manager before. I actually did not get hired after a very long process. Why? BECAUSE I WASN'T THE BEST CANDIDATE!! Who cares if you are male or female, white or black, 25 or 75, a good company is a very picky company. I'm sure US Cellular is as glad that you don't work for them as you are glad you did not get hired. I am glad I looked at the company. All of your attitudes show through in interviews. I just can't believe you don't know that. Once again, get over yourselves and look for a different job.

Just wondering if you have 2 children and 1 of them ill and work 60 hours a week, how do you find time to tell us ex us cell employees to "get over it". Where do you get off telling us what we should do if you have never worked there?????? US Cell is a bad place to work. Just look at all the comments. Also, if it upsets you how we feel, why are you reading the comments and responding???
I am sorry to hear about your child. I work part-time for a cancer organization and I can empathize

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.