UPS Driver Helper

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 490)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Raymond in El Cajon in El Cajon, California

67 months ago

Do Driver Helpers ever get offered a full time Driver job at the end of the season?

What does the Driver Helper position start off at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (518) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

BEBcareer in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

I am thinking about applying as a Driver Helper or possibly Seasonal Driver as well. I was wondering what are the pay rates as well. Also are benefits available for these positions (individual and family, waiting period?) or do they only apply for permanent employees.

For the seasonal package handling positions, do the hours ever exceed 15-20 per week?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (287) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

newbiebrown in Ohio

67 months ago

I go to my orientation in 2 days for a driver helpers position. Does anyone know what I should expect? Any testing? What happens at orientention? Can I expect a permanent position when the season is over? It's just seasonal but I am excited to get a start with UPS. Thanks for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (535) / No (77) Reply - Report abuse

Steven Colson in Melrose, Massachusetts

66 months ago

I worked as a driver helper during the 2007 season. I was paid 9.50 per hour. My understanding is that this can be higher or lower depending on where in the country you are working. I usually worked about 30-35 hours a week, which was 6 or 7 hours per day beginning at 10am. They also paid us for training and gave a 100 bonus at the end if you worked all the hours and days that you were asked to work up to the day before Christmas.

Do not expect to be offered a full time job at the end of the season. UPS has a hiring freeze due to rising costs and a falling economy. At least in my area, right now, the only jobs available with UPS are package handler jobs, which are low wage, part-time (30 hours per week) jobs unloading the big trucks delivering packages to the distribution center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Plane1984 in Sacramento, California

66 months ago

According to a regular driver last year, it was $11.76/hr for his helper.

As the guy above mentioned, pay rate may very depending on the state. I have no idea where this driver was from--I live in California and would expect something like this given the cost of living here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

66 months ago

S1337 in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have just currently applied at UPS as a driver's assistance. I have a schedules interview in a few days and I was just wondering a couple of things:

What should I wear? Shirt and Tie? Polo? Casual?

Do they drug test?

What exactly does a driver's assistant do?

Thank you. Any replies are greatly appriciated.

- S

You should always look your best for an interview no matter what the job is. Don't listen to others who say dress casual. It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

Like the saying goes: you never get a second chance to make a first impression!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

jlo28 in Augusta, Georgia

66 months ago

Does anyone know the hiring procedure? I had the interview last week but do you know when they call you back for work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

chase bristow in Annapolis, Maryland

66 months ago

i have an appointment today and this is my dream job i even have an obsession for ups and i want to get your advice on what to say w/o overdoing it i even have been practing by lifting various boxes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

kcoltrin@ca.rr.com in Costa Mesa, California

65 months ago

Steven Colson in Melrose, Massachusetts said: You can dress casual. Be clean and neat. They do not drug test. A driver's assistant carries the packages from truck to the house. They will explain everything during the hiring process/training.

I have filled out all paper work and am showing up tomorrow for orientation and should be ready to go on the truck tomorrow. Am I hired? How current is your info? Thanks

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

kaiscape in San Francisco, California

65 months ago

I just got a call today for this position. Only 14 days till x-mas. I'm thinking they must of had a lot of ppl. quit to be calling me this late in the game. I was shocked when he told me the pay rate was $8.25/hr! Northern CA has one of the highest costs of living in the country! Needless to say I was pretty surprised at the very low wage. Thinking of not even bothering to show up at the interview...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I got 9.50 an hour (last year) plus a 100 bonus for working everyday until christmas. I enjoyed the job. I thought it was easy work compared to the heavy labor (landscaping) that I usually do. The weather's been mild here so my season went longer so I haven't signed up yet. You might just try it anyway. It's something to do, could be good experience and you get at least something for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Grim Reaper in St. Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

Just wanted to chime in about my experiences as a 2008 UPS Driver Helper in St. Louis, ...in case others are considering it for the 2009 holiday season. First I applied online. Then I attended a 45-minute group information session about the position. Then I attended a 2-1/2 hour interview/group orientation, which was unpaid. There were no drug tests or tests of any kind at my location, other than a background check. This is an on-call position. If they need you, they will call you. I was lucky that they called me on the very first day and I have been locked in with the same driver on the same route until Christmas Eve. After Christmas, this gig is over but you are free to apply as a package sorter come late winter or spring. I encourage all ages and both sexes to apply...in my group we had applicants from teen girls to white-haired guys. Just make sure you are fit enough to lift AND CARRY up to 70 pounds. And a strong work ethic is paramount...if you have doubts, apply elsewhere.
During the information session and the interview session, they try to weed out those not serious about hard work. They will warn you about heavy packages, bad weather, long steep driveways, etc. To be fair, these are not just scare tactics as I have experienced all the things they warned us about. But I still enjoy the work. And it is work because you are going non-stop your whole shift. I am fortunate that I was assigned to a driver I clicked with and we make a good team. Our productivity has increased everyday thus far. Plan to eat your meal on the fly so bring food and water with you.
One suggestion I want to make is you need to wear well broken-in work boots. New boots will murder your feet and make your tenure miserable. Hobbling around on painful feet is neither fun nor productive.
The customers on my route are great and very friendly. This time of year UPS is basically Santa Claus, so if you like to make people happy you will enjoy the helper position. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (124) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

That's a great post, Grim. That's exactly what it's like. I will note that I did get paid for the interview/group orientation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Grim Reaper in St. Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

Thanks Steven. I just want to tuck in a few more random details about being a UPS Driver Helper. The 2008 seasonal pay for St. Louis is 12.88/hour. And the majority of packages are relatively small and manageable…but every day you will encounter some heavy and bulky boxes. Safety is a major concern so you will need non-slip soles and will need to strap on your seat belt even if you are only going 20 feet. The helper door is usually left open to save time between deliveries. In the truck, the helper sits on a small, padded seat which is spring loaded. When you arrive at a stop, you stand up in the stairwell and the seat flips up out of the way so you can quickly exit the truck. Obviously, speed and accuracy are keys to the success of UPS, so as soon as the truck stops you will need to bail out with package(s) in hand. While you are whisking them to the porch or office the driver will be staging the package(s) for the next stop. When you return to the truck, you will quickly sit down, buckle up and hang on. The trucks are loud and bouncy. Occasionally signatures are required at residential stops. They are always required at commercial stops. The driver will either teach you how to use the DIAD for obtaining signatures or else he/she will preload it and all you have to do is have the recipient sign and then return the DIAD to the driver. If the weather is rainy or snowy you will have to place packages in a plastic bag if they cannot be left in a dry, protected spot. This really slows you down, as does the weather on days like these. Long hair on guys is not permitted, nor is a beard or excessively long sideburns. Gals with long hair can tuck it into their caps. UPS will loan you a pair of pants, a jacket and maybe a stocking cap. Any part of your own shirt that shows should be brown or white. Boots should be black or brown. Again, good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Benjamin Jackson in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

64 months ago

I am a first-time driver helper in the Cleveland area of Ohio. My rate is $12.88 an hour, usually working a 7-8 hour day from about 10 - 5 or 6. Last week I worked 36.15 hours, and I am worked today and will work tmrw and christmas eve. They said not to expect any hours after christmas day, as peak is over and there is not as many packages going out. Today my driver and I completed 145 stops, over 300 packages total. It's fun and seems to go fast... but tiring and it all depends on the driver you get paired up with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BeanCounterBabe in Carrollton, Texas

64 months ago

Raymond in El Cajon in El Cajon, California said: Do Driver Helpers ever get offered a full time Driver job at the end of the season?

What does the Driver Helper position start off at?

There are some variations in local hiring needs but generally, new employees are required to work several years as part time package handlers before they will have enough seniority with the union to qualify for a full time driving position. It is pretty much impossible to get hired directly into a full time position with UPS. The good news is that UPS gives full benefits to part time employees---including health insurance.

Part time package handler pay starts at $8.50. (minor variances for state minimum wage laws but $8.50 is the starting point in the contract.)

Full time drivers start around $16.10. They reach full scale wages (between $27-$29 depending on location) three years after they begin full time driving.

It's a great company with great benefits. The downside is that it is hard work with a lot of physical exertion required. Everything you do is monitored, tracked, analyzed, and micromanaged. Also, the operations side of the business is unionized. This means higher wages than you will find at some of the other companies. But it also means that everything is seniority driven. (number of hours, schedules, vacation week preference, routes, etc) It doesn't matter if you need to work some extra hours one week because your spouse is ill and you need the extra cash. If someone with more seniority wants the hours, they get them, not you. If a driver is going to be laid off due to low package volume, he has the right to bump two part time employees and take their work hours. Once you get to the top of the seniority list, life is great.....but it takes years of dedicated service to get to that point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emptycrawford in Little Rock, Arkansas

54 months ago

I'll trying to make this as informative as possible.

I worked at a hub in Little Rock, Arkansas as a Preloader, meaning that I loaded the brown trucks in the morning before the drivers got there. Basically, the hub handles all of the package volume for a large area and processes any packages passing through that area, in addition to regular driver routes. On the other hand, a distribution center just handles routes for a smaller, more specific area and receives its volume from a hub. Your working conditions (and chances of being hired) will vary quite a bit depending if you are working in a hub or a smaller center.

As for pay, Driver Helpers typically start out at the local minimum ($9.50/hr for Little Rock or $10.50 if you work Preload).

Driver helpers typically do not get permanent positions after the high-volume season. However, a seasonal package handler (i.e. someone working on the boxline or loading/unloading feeder trucks) has a much better chance, as the centers almost always need more package handlers, and a seasonal handler is already trained to do the job.

If you want to be a driver, though, you'll have to wait like everyone else and move up through the company. The wait at the Little Rock hub is about 10 years. There are alternatives, though. Cover Drivers (people who drive when regular drivers are sick, on vacation, etc.) make driver pay (about $27/hr), but the work isn't guaranteed if none of your routes need to be covered for any given day. Additionally, you must work as a part-time package handler for 6 months before requesting a transfer to something else. Also, package handlers can apply to be Part-time Supervisors. Supervisors are salaried and non-union, but are paid well (about $20,000/yr + bonuses for production and safety quotas) and do very little physical work.

I hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ziva in Georgia

54 months ago

I filled out an application online yesterday and set up the automatic appointment for next week. And thank God for these posts so I know a roundabout of what to expect.

The thing I'm worried about is them not taking me seriously. I'm a female and in my early twenties but seem much younger. I'm afraid I'm going to walk in there and it's going to be a bunch of beefy guys wondering why a twelve year old is trying to get such a physically challenging job. I've always done physical work before and even delivered phone books the past two years, which is quite a bit of walking. Grim Reaper said that the group they were in was mixed age-wise, so hopefully I won't be the only scrawny person there. Granted, they'll probably go for the stronger looking people first, but...

Anything anyone can think of that might help would be appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela Haines in Antioch, Illinois

54 months ago

Hi all,

I just completed the application process on-line yesterday and had my scheduled appointment to meet with the interviewer today at 11:40 a.m.

The on-line information stated that you should check in at the UPS Employment Office 10 minutes early. If you do not keep that appointment you will be restricted from making any future job interviews with UPS for 6 months.

You are to wear casual slacks or jeans and a sturdy closed-toe shoe in case you tour the facility. Do not bring personal items such as cell phones or pagers. Do not wear jewelry articles such as rings, watches, necklaces or earrings. Bring two forms of ID with you; such as driver's license and social security card, even a birth certificate.

So, I arrived at my appointment more than 10 minutes early. I sat in a room and waited for the interviewee to come, introduce himself and take me into an office. He sat at a computer and basically ran through the same information that I filled out online to make sure all was accurate. Told me about the job just as I read during the online application process. He then told me he had papers for me to sign and took me back into the waiting room. He explained the papers which were mostly the tax deduction form, uniform sizing form, union application and notice form (I believe $12.50 goes to union per month), 4 sheets needing signature from the application process of sexual harrassment, conduct, etc. forms, and then he left for lunch.

I completed all the forms and gave the completed forms to the receptionist who checked each form off on a checklist. The next step is waiting for the background check to go through and then someone will contact me for an orientation. After orientation, I will wait to get a phone call by 8:00 a.m. A driver will tell me where/when to meet him and off we will go delivering Christmas presents!

BTW - I am over 50 and most likely got the job!!! My interviewee looked in his 20's and never flinched at my age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Wilson, North Carolina

54 months ago

I have applied for numerous ups positions in nc and i have been offered a full time job as a driver helper but i have missed them when they called so i have been trying to get in touch with the person who called me.The lady who called me said could he work fulltime instead of partime.I will call them again monday morning and see what happens or hopefully she calls me again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pal in North Bergen, New Jersey

54 months ago

Daniel in Wilson, North Carolina said: I have applied for numerous ups positions in nc and i have been offered a full time job as a driver helper but i have missed them when they called so i have been trying to get in touch with the person who called me.The lady who called me said could he work fulltime instead of partime.I will call them again monday morning and see what happens or hopefully she calls me again.

Position in NJ only paid $8.50hr total was of time thats 17000 a year after taxs u luck if u make 15000 . Forget about UPS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

candice_ll in Collierville, Tennessee

54 months ago

I applied for this job a couple minutes ago & I got this message:

Job Inquiry

Our system has retained the information you previously supplied. Your information, along with the information supplied by other job applicants, will be considered when UPS jobs become available. Thank you for continuing to consider UPS as an employer.

Should I just wait? or go in & apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

touseun09 in Hudson, Wisconsin

54 months ago

i am i a college student and i can only work some days abotu 2 or 3 days a week and only a few hours on the other days would it be a waste of time to apply for the driver hlper job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ziva in Georgia

54 months ago

Had that appointment at 10 this morning. Went in, filled out a paper with my info again and stood in line with at least two dozen other folks. When I was called in, the woman checked the paper I had just filled out against the online application, asked me a few confirmation questions and checked my ID. She also stated that it's required to get polishable black or brown non-slip shoes and that I would have to wear them when called for the orientation. I signed a few papers and that was pretty much it. She did say that they will be starting around Thanksgiving.

Also, around here they're paying $8.50/hour.

So... it sounds like a wait and see thing-- nothing official yet. So I plan to buy the shoes, but only wear them if they call so I can take return them if I don't get hired. Here's hoping they call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stavs in Massillon, Ohio

54 months ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the comments they have been very helpful. I applied for driver helper for ups and got the interview sign up online. My interview is coming up on Monday. However, I am very scared that I will not qualify for the job. I have a misdemeanor theft on my record until I can have it taken off by the court. I have to wait till a certain date. I thought this would be okay since the website app only asked for felonies. After reading about how serious UPS is though I am concerned. Does anyone know if this will disqualify my application? Thanks so much for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

timping1 in Downingtown, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

I applied for Driver Helper in the West Chester Pa. area and had my interview this morning. I'll be going to my orientation this Tuesday the 10th. I'm 46 and in ok shape, but I'm sure this is going to be a workout. Also with the upcoming snow and ice it's going to be quite an experience for me as I spent most of my life in Arizona and California. Please everyone keep posting your experiences with this job as its already been helpful for me. Thanks and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

himbamcky in Frankfort, Ohio

54 months ago

I just came back from the interview this morning in Obetz, Ohio for a position in Chillicothe. After sitting there for about 20 minutes, the interviewer came in and explained the job details and wanted to make sure we could do the work. She talked about the uniform and what we have to provide for it. Later, she had us fill out a sheet of information for a background check and uniform sizing. After checking my two forms of ID and puting my information into her computer, that was it she told me that the Chillicothe HUB would get in touch with me for orientation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curt- in Minnesota

53 months ago

I applied in late October and a in early November received an email from UPS for an interview.

I had my interview today (in Minnesota) it literally took under 5 minutes. He verified my application, I showed him my ID’s and he asked when I was available to work.

He said it pays 12.88/hr and that hours would vary from 3-6hrs a day and told me to report back at UPS tomorrow for paid orientation. I’m assuming I got the job? haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Completed my orientation, got pants, pullover UPS jacket and brown beany. They explained lifting procedures, related safety and we worked on the pc's for a while going over the DIAD instructionals. Were given a number to call for our zipcode area and told to call to touch base as they didn't forsee anyone having to start until Monday 11/16. I called this morning and left my info for the driver/helper coordinator at 7:30am. Was told he would call me back when he got in at 8am. As of 11am I have not received a call. Was also told in orientation that they call as late as the Sunday before 11/16, so I'm not gonna worry about it. If I get no call by Sunday, I'll call first thing Monday morning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tim23 in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

okay monday i went to an interview in addison illinois about the driver helper when i interviewed with the lady she told me that since i live in chicago that instead of me having to come out there for work if hired that they were going to send my application to bedford park since its closer and i will receive a phone call telling me to interview there but its been 2 days and i havent heard from anyone so now im starting to think i might not get the job if anyone has been in a position like this before please comment back on what happen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

11/12/09 Decided not to call in this morning as I have already left my info with the Pottstown Hub supervisor. Since they told us that we don't need to call until this coming Monday anyway, but that it wouldn't hurt if we did. I feel a bit like I'm bothering them. I don't like that feeling because I'm used to employers being very eager to touch base with their new employees ahead of time so there are no concerns as to the gameplan at the start of the new week. Oh well, I'll call them Monday if they don't contact me first. I wanna work! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lhelper in Crest Hill, Illinois

53 months ago

today i went to an interview in illinois for the driver helper position. i was expecting more then 10 people but worker made it seem that we were too many. only one guy wore black slacks and a dress shirt. many had beards and were told to shave them if they wanted to work. we all sat at a table and write down a summary of our information on a small sheet of paper, i'm guessing for background check and uniform sizing. she also said we would get paid for orientation. that's it. nothing else. told us to leave and will contact us for the orientation appointment. they didn't check our ID's or anything. will they ask for it during or after orientation?
any response will be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bcw

53 months ago

I interviewed on November 2nd at the Chicago hub, 1400 South Jefferson, filled out the tax and union documents, and was told that I would be called for orientation at an unspecified date. I checked back last Friday and was told that orientation would likely take place late the week of the 9th, i.e., yesterday or today. Still haven't heard, though. They told me that the main reason for the orientation would be for training on the DIAD so the helpers could actually be of use to the drivers. There's an interesting website for UPS folks called "Brown Café" that I would recommend looking at. Most drivers, for a variety of reasons, are not that thrilled to be given helpers. I'm looking forward to the job. Roughest economy I've ever seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

beachlover in Clayton, North Carolina

53 months ago

I went to my interview on Thursday, October 29th in Raleigh. I listened to a 45 minute presentation, along with 20 or more other applicants. We were told that we would be called in a week or so if our background checks came back clean. Then we would be scheduled for an orientation. It is not 11/15, and I have not had a phone call. I have checked my caller id, both on my home phone and cell phone, but do not see any missed called that would have been from UPS. The interviewer said that they do not leave messages on answering machines, however they would try to reach everyone several times if necessary. He also said not to return any phone calls that we think would be from UPS because they would not be answered....the number is not an inbound number. I am beginning to become concerned that they will not be calling me since it is so late in November, and I do not have a number to give them a call at. Has anyone here on this message board applied at the Raleigh, NC UPS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Wilson, North Carolina

53 months ago

I have applied but i havent set a appointment since i was looking to work in wilson,rocky mount or greenville.I hope they will call you and if they do make sure you dont miss the call because you probably wont get another chance since i was called before and i have tried many times to get in touch with them but no luck so i have gave up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Hi again,

Last time I wrote on here was Thursday, October 29, when I went to UPS in Palatine, IL, for my interview. Adam, my interviewer told me that as long as my background check was A-okay, the next step would be a phone call for orientation. So, I waited one week, didn't get my phone call, so I called the 2100 N. Hicks Road UPS facility where I had my interview on November 5 to make sure that I didn't miss any phone calls. The woman told me that they were just beginning to set up classes that 1st week of November and that if I didn't receive a phone call by the 2nd week of November, I should call back. Well, I didn't call back last week because I was busy and today, Tuesday, November 17, I got my phone call.

I am to report to the 2100 N. Hicks Road UPS facility, same place I interviewed, at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. That is the ONLY class that they have scheduled and I am to wear my boots. Luckily, upon anticipation of getting this job, I went out to Rogan's and purchased brown waterproof hiking boots. When Angel called me, he only said to wear my boots and also bring a lunch because it may take 5 or 6 hours depending on the instructor.

Then, again tonight, another girl called me to confirm I was coming to tomorrow's orientation class. She told me it could take 7 hours depending on the instructor. I can't imagine what you do for 7 hours in an orientation class for a UPS driver helper, but I will see.

I'm just hoping I don't have to start working until after Thanksgiving. Without a phone call the first 2 weeks, I've made plans for the days leading into Thanksgiving ... parent/teacher conferences, fundraising events, etc.

Does anyone around Chicago area know if the Antioch/Spring Grove/Zion/Waukegan area needs help this early on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

11/17 Got a call from Driver Helper coordinator and I was told to meet my driver at a convenience store parking lot at 2:30pm. Met him and we hit it off just fine. He was overloaded and got off to a slow start this morning so they called me and told the driver they wanted to put me in there for a couple hours or so. Anyway, it was really fast work and thats ok, but I told the driver that I didn't know too much about the diad and he told me not to worry about it because he was just going to have me do lots of running.

I got in three hours and did pretty well and I'm definitely out of shape. I'll do ok though. I got home and about two hours later my right knee started to lock up and got worse so I took a few ibuprofen. The driver told me they probably won't need me again until next Monday--start of Thanksgiving week--but if someone got behind they wouldn't hesitate to ask me to work. I almost hope I get a couple days to rest my knee or let it heal a bit before I go back out. Thats the only thing I'm worried about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Had orientation today at the Palatine, Illinois, facility. This facility is supposedly the largest in the country. They have 400+ trucks going out each day.

Orientation was 6 hours, 8:30 until 2:00 p.m., but we ended up getting out an hour earlier since the instructor said she would hurry it up and get us out early. We got paid for 6 hours!

There were about 34 people in my class and this instructor and the healthy and safety instructor and then the security instructor. Thought I brought a lunch and so did some others, we had no time to really eat it. We really didn't take any breaks either. We were able to use the bathrooms when half the class went at a time with the health and safety instructor to go look at a real UPS truck parked in the facility. We had to practice our 3-point contacts getting into and out of the cab. The seat had a little pad on the bottom of it and the seat belt only went across your lap. This was an older truck, so the step was pretty high on it.

We left the class being told that we would definately be getting a call the Monday AFTER Thanksgiving. If we wanted to start earlier, we could call our call center and ask if any driver helpers were going to be needed sooner than that.

So, that was about it out here in the suburbs of Chicago. There were about 7 different areas branching out from this facility. North, Far North, Waukegan (that's me), East, and I wasn't really paying attention to the others.... I know there was a South.

Hope this helps others. I know they hold orientation classes all into December because of the college kids that also apply. They may hire up to 1,500 temporary part-time people for this holiday. Wow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RopeS in Ypsilanti, Michigan

53 months ago

I keep getting this message:

Job Inquiry

Our system has retained the information you previously supplied. Your information, along with the information supplied by other job applicants, will be considered when UPS jobs become available. Thank you for continuing to consider UPS as an employer.

To those who got through or got a job, was there more online stuff to fill out besides your name and phone number? Did anyone else get this message and get called?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bcw

53 months ago

Do you mean called to interview? Or called for orientation? If you mean the former, when did you fill out the app.?

My experience (in Chicago) was as follows: filled out app. on 10/22; they called me on 10/30; I interviewed, filled out union & tax info. on 11/2; and am waiting for call for orientation. So, depending on when you initially applied, it coild take a week or more for them to call you.

53 months ago

I meant called at all. The online form I got to fill out was not really an app. All it was, was name, phone number, and soc. sec. number, and a few questions about U.S. citizenship, and age. Is this normal, or is there a more in-depth application usually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bcw

53 months ago

The original onine app. was as you described: pretty simple. I think they also asked why you wanted to work at UPS. When did you apply? You do have to fill out more stuff when you go in. I would look up the location nearest you--what is that? Romulus or Blissfield?--and call the number for UPS Freight and try to get connected to HR to track the status of your app.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

TO: RopeS in Ypsilanti, Michigan

I put in your zip code and it came up with the following information:

The following 1 job(s) matched your search criteria:

- Position - Driver Helper
- Location - MI MI - YPSILANTI

Position Location Division Distance
Driver Helper
(Current Openings) YPSILANTI
YPSILANTI, MI Package Operations 0.01 Miles

After clicking on "Driver Helper", you come up with the Job Inquiry screen where you put your name, social security and e-mail information. Then, you answer the questions at the bottom. Upon clicking "continue", another screen came up with all the online application information. After filling that out, it gave me a date and time for the interview and I could either accept or decline it. Of course, I accepted it. It was 10/29 that I interviewed. They called me on 11/17 and today, which is 11/18, I had my orientation.

It all happened really fast here in the Cook County (Chicago) area.

You should just go to the Mansfield Street Hub here and ask someone in Human Resources. This 800 number is just a general UPS number, not the specific hub's number, but if you don't live too far, go to the center and ask someone.

540 S Mansfield St
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
*800* 742*5877

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

They advertise multiple listings for Ypsilanti, and Livonia which is close too. There was never a question of why I wanted to work there on what I filled out. I will try to find a number and contact HR tomorrow. I applied about a couple weeks or so ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bcw

53 months ago

Going to the location is good advice. The set up in Chicago (near South Side; 1400 S. Jefferson) was pretty Spartan: a trailer in which half a dozen UPS HR people were working, interviewing both PTPH and Driver's Helpers. The facility itself is huge: it runs more than three full city blocks. Anyway, showing your face never hurts: it shows you're motivated and eager. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

To Pamela:

I could never get any further than the first screen. Nothing would happen after I pressed 'continue' except it said something like thank you for your inquiry or something like that. I was expecting another screen with application type questions. I will stop in at the actual location tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!!

53 months ago

I'm wondering if it could be how one of the questions was answered on the qualifications screen. They do several pre-screening processes. I think this is one of them. Here's that screen again:

QUALIFICATION QUESTIONS

Please answer all of the following questions:

An essential function of this job requires that you lift and lower packages that typically weigh 25 -35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. You must be able to walk at a quick pace, carry packages and collect delivery information. In addition, you must work in an outdoor environment with variable temperatures and weather conditions and must be able to read words and numbers. Can you perform these essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations?
Yes No

Are you a U.S. citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the United States?
Yes No

Are you at least 18 years old?
Yes No

Are you currently a student attending a college, university, junior college or trade school?
Yes No

School Attending (Optional)

Anyways, just guessing since mine went straight to an application screen and it took awhile to complete the many pages. This is only the 2nd week that they are doing orientation classes in our area of Chicago. They will be doing them for quite awhile into mid-December. Good luck going to the center. Sort of sounds like a smaller town ... could be why they are a bit slower at this process since maybe not as much volume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Yeah, that is as far as I got. I answered yes to the first 3, and no to the last one. Maybe they are just looking for students? I should try to put yes for all and see if I get any further.. hmm.. That doesn't make sense though..

bcw

53 months ago

No. You don't have to be a student. All sorts of people are looking for these jobs. I saw an age range from 20 to 60.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Yeah, I tried it as a student too, and still couldn't get past the first page, so hopefully I can get something figured out tomorrow. This job would be ideal for me.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.