Christmas Season Helper

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

justaguy in North Carolina

85 months ago

A few words about my experience as a seasonal helper (I'm posting this after reading some other threads on wondering what to expect):

Expect to hussle and bust your butt! The drivers themselves bust their humps so they're not gonna want a helper who pokes around. I ran the majority of the packages, just like I expected, while the driver either ran a package to another house or re-arranged the packages on his truck getting ready for the next stops. They NEVER sat and did nothing. I made it my goal to be back to the truck before the driver was in his seat. If you're a hard worker, the drivers will love ya. I heard the supervisors ask for feedback on the helpers, so if you're good, I'd imagine that would help lead to a permanent position, which is my goal. I'd usually meet the same driver each morning, help him until about 5 pm, then meet another driver who needed help at another location and help him for a few hours. It is hard work, but a great workout. I was dog-tired when I got home but I enjoyed the work. A bunch of drivers would meet for lunch each day, and I loved the camaraderie among them. I had a world of respect for the guys I helped and what their jobs entailed and I learned a lot from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mack in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

justaguy in North Carolina said: I worked a couple weeks this year as a Christmas seasonal helper, and I've got a new-found respect for you guys and gals who work for UPS. Your jobs are MUCH harder than I ever imagined. I learned a lot from the guys that I helped out, the main thing being numbers, numbers, numbers. Speaking solely from experience....ANY company that focuses on numbers will make their employees secondary; that's just how it is. More than one driver told me to keep track of my hours because the "higher-ups" always short-changed them on hours to make the numbers look good. (I don't get that....he told me they'll just file a grievance with the union and wind up getting more $ than they would have originally.) Another told me (being in) managment horror stories....loooong hours, being fired on the spot, huge pressures, and no union. He said it's better to be a driver or handler than mgt. cuz of the union and the hourly pay. Yes, I heard from the drivers that the pay and benefits are excellent, but they in turn sacrifice their family time....they don't get to watch their kids in school activities or spend a lot of time with their wives, so yeah, it's a catch-22. I'm in no position to give any advice, but I'd suggest to anyone considering a career with UPS to start as a seasonal driver's helper or seasonal package handler and ask lots and lots of questions and see for yourself how it works. And to y'all who are currently employed with UPS...I admire you and keep up the good, HARD work! To all the others who are posting nothing but complaints about working for UPS...get another job and let someone who has a backbone and isn't afraid of hard work step in!

I just finished my 9+ week tour as a dirver helper here in Houston. I had a good time and worked w/ a great driver. He too had many horror stories about how management (fls) are treaded and that was not a position you want. It will be interesting to see if I hear back from UPS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lawrence Orawiec in Raleigh, North Carolina

26 months ago

Looking for work and would like to apply for Christmas help. My Email is ljorawiec@yahoo.com Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Stratford, Connecticut

22 months ago

I am an 18 year old part time preload supervisor here in CT. I started as a loader and decided to go the management route. The main reason being the money.. 300+ a week sh*ts on the 150 i was pulling in after 5 days of busting my *** loading. Yeah supes take alot of **** but its not rocket science. I always hear how its better to stay union, and this is true if you want to stay with the company forever and do mindless, repetitive labor until your 50+ years old. Ive talked to loaders who have been there for 10 years and they still dont make as much as supes. Its a headache, but worth it for the benefits and pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.