UPS Transfers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Paddboat in Lakeport, California

63 months ago

Does anybody out there work for UPS and know if you can transfer. And if so is it within your district or region? My husband works there and he says he would have to quit and get rehired. Sounds strange to me with a big company like that. I worked for USPS and I could put in for a transfer anywhere in the US. Of course you would have to wait until a position was open. I could also do mutual transfers. Basically trade jobs with someone who wanted to move where you were and vice versa. The web site had mutual transfer requests so you could see if there was someone wanting to transfer to where you lived. I am feeling like we are stuck here until he retires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Huber in Greenville, North Carolina

62 months ago

My brother moved from one state to another. He was a driver for 5 years and the company would not allow transfers. It took him a year to be hired again at UPS in his new state of residence and after 3 years he's still "on the belt" waiting for a full time drivers position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tomzach in Warrenton, Virginia

61 months ago

Paddboat in Lakeport, California said: Does anybody out there work for UPS and know if you can transfer. And if so is it within your district or region? My husband works there and he says he would have to quit and get rehired. Sounds strange to me with a big company like that. I worked for USPS and I could put in for a transfer anywhere in the US. Of course you would have to wait until a position was open. I could also do mutual transfers. Basically trade jobs with someone who wanted to move where you were and vice versa. The web site had mutual transfer requests so you could see if there was someone wanting to transfer to where you lived. I am feeling like we are stuck here until he retires.

You can transfer for a # of reasons, Military transfer, spouse illness or job transfer. Keep searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MrsJay in Nashville, Tennessee

58 months ago

You can only transfer if you are part-time and its for school, spouse relocating, ect. If you are a driver you have to quit and get rehired at the UPS in the new location. If you are able to transfer you will lose building seniority but you will still retain company seniority in regards to retirement and benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

pipjack in Costa Mesa, California

54 months ago

My husband has worked for UPS for several years (approx 20). He is on a transfer list and it is based on company seniority. If the building where he wants to transfer to is hiring, he can transfer there. He is a driver. There are no special circumstances needed to transfer, only job availability at the location he wants to transfer to. He does lose his center seniority however. Also, I believe there is a ratio of inside hires to transfer hires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

J in Seattle in Lynnwood, Washington

38 months ago

My husband is also on the transfer list and has been for four years. Does anyone know how to tell where he is on the list. It's frustrating not knowing if he is the next one in line or number 50.
Paddleboat in CA I'm with you! Did you ever find out anything about the transfer or if there was anything about the mutual transfer?
Thank you all for any info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

njdriverhelper in Plainsboro, New Jersey

34 months ago

So, I plan on moving from New Jersey to Texas within the year.

I would like to begin a career with UPS, and am hoping to be offered a part-time package handling job when I complete my driver's helper position. I was told that this is very likely by HR when I started, and by my driver.

However, now that I am reading all this about the difficulty transferring I am wondering if it would be better to not take a position after the season and then just apply to a new place after I move?

I am just concerned as I have read that they have a no-rehire policy, too. So if I take a part-time position and quit when I moved and tried to get rehired it would be difficult, but being transferred would also be difficult?

I would rather work for UPS for the the 6-8 months before I move but I don't want to be blackballed either.

What would the best choice be here?

I could enroll in a school for a couple credit hours in the new area if that would enable me to get a transfer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ilkh in Detroit, Michigan

34 months ago

njdriverhelper in Plainsboro, New Jersey said: So, I plan on moving from New Jersey to Texas within the year.

I would like to begin a career with UPS, and am hoping to be offered a part-time package handling job when I complete my driver's helper position. I was told that this is very likely by HR when I started, and by my driver.

However, now that I am reading all this about the difficulty transferring I am wondering if it would be better to not take a position after the season and then just apply to a new place after I move?

I am just concerned as I have read that they have a no-rehire policy, too. So if I take a part-time position and quit when I moved and tried to get rehired it would be difficult, but being transferred would also be difficult?

I would rather work for UPS for the the 6-8 months before I move but I don't want to be blackballed either.

What would the best choice be here?

I could enroll in a school for a couple credit hours in the new area if that would enable me to get a transfer.

Driver helpers are SEASONAL positions. Driver helpers are almost NEVER offered part-time package handling positions at the conclusion of the season; if you're interested in part-time package handling, apply for the seasonal part-time package handling
positions, or consult with your helper coordinator about obtaining one.

If you're moving halfway across the country and desire future employment with UPS, complete the helping season and then apply at the center near your future location -- it will be a lot easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ANGELFACE in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

WORK FOR FDC FOR UPS AND I AM TRYING TO GET BACK INTO THE HUB BY GOING TO THE BOXLINE . BUT THEY KEEP GIVING ME THE RUNAROUND, I DID THE TRANSFER AREA CARD AND EVERYTHING . BUT NOTHING HAS COME OUT OF IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michaelxoz34 in Tallahassee, Florida

22 months ago

I have a question and if anyone knows the answer, it would help a lot. I have to go on a 4 month internship in order to graduate from college. I talked with my H.R and H.R. representatives and they both said I could take a personal leave because they do not do educational leave, yet they do military and medical as long as my building manager was OK with it. He then talked with someone and they informed him that I couldn't take a 4 month leave. They said I could quit and reapply when i got back, but I do not want to lose my benefits.I was talking to a union rep and he told me that he thinks there is a 6 month window that if i quit I can possibly reapply and have the same benefits I had when I quit. He said its just a matter of the way you tell the manager.SO I am going through the Union agreement and trying to find something about this window.

YO in Jamestown, New York

18 months ago

ilkh in Detroit, Michigan said: Driver helpers are SEASONAL positions. Driver helpers are almost NEVER offered part-time package handling positions at the conclusion of the season; if you're interested in part-time package handling, apply for the seasonal part-time package handling
positions, or consult with your helper coordinator about obtaining one.

If you're moving halfway across the country and desire future employment with UPS, complete the helping season and then apply at the center near your future location -- it will be a lot easier.

You might be offered a position after march when they don't have to pay the benefits backfeed from the first of the year.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.