How to get a job at UPS.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 116)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at UPS? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

kedrick bibles in Dallas, Texas

94 months ago

how do i apply for a job at the mesq. office on line? I apply for a job already,it'keep taking me back to this page can you pleas help me with his

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

David Brackett Jr in Thomaston, Georgia

94 months ago

i want 6to apply for a job in Dalton GA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

David Brackett Jr said: help

Although you may have some luck in that an employer seeing your post, this forum is just for discussions on this company. I would suggest applying for a position with the company directly from our site. Next time you do a search on Indeed click on the job listing you are interested in. This will direct you to the website the job is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

vernial eubanks in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

i would love too work for ups

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

vernialeubanks in Chicago, Illinois

93 months ago

ups have great educational .work also good exercise .for me do too. the job prescribton IM .. looking for package handler i

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

LULA TEALER in Berkeley, California

93 months ago

I"M CURRRENTLY AVALIABLE FOR ANY SHIFF
AND I WOULD LOVE TO BECOME A PART TIME PACKAGE HANDLER
AND YES I CAN LIFT 50LBS OR MORE AND YES I CAN PASS A DRUG TEST AND CAN WORK WEEKENDS AND ANY OTHER SHIFF YOU NEED ME TOO. PLEASE CONSIDER ME OR KEEP ME IN MIND

THANK YOU
LULA TEALER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Lula Negrizzle in Leesburg, Georgia

93 months ago

I'm sure they will be very impressed by your use of "shiff" instead of shift... Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

KT in Kansas City, Missouri

92 months ago

I hope most of you learn to spell correctly before you apply for UPS. This is simply amazing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

pa in Pennsylvania

92 months ago

it is not as hard to get an interview with ups as everyone says u just need to fit there qualifications also if they havent hired anyone in a while you have a good shot i know i did it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Lillington, North Carolina

92 months ago

Amazing that the clerks at UPS can't spell. Here I am with 14 years of management experience, a college degree and an excellent work history, only to be out of work for 8 months now because of a buy out and then downsizing. All I hear is that I am overqualified or do not have exactly what they desire in an employee, pertaining to certificates or other training. Geez, it is not like I can not learn it or pass the training courses. This world is pathetic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Hailer, Lawrence, IN in Indianapolis, Indiana

91 months ago

hey kevin i know what your talking about cuz i wasnt hired to type but they make me do it ever day. Even if your smart enouhg to read and write it doent matter to them as long as you can move fast enough. good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Erik in Salt Lake City, Utah

89 months ago

LOL...I'm sorry but this posting is just wrong. I don't mean to be rude, but if your applications contain the same kind of spelling I'm seeing on here...you won't get a call. You may be a very qualified and intelligent candidate...so PLEASE just make sure you check for spelling and grammatical errors. Most hiring managers don't take an applicant serious if they can't spell on their application. Also, have someone help you put together a nice resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

89 months ago

Erik in Salt Lake City, Utah said: LOL...I'm sorry but this posting is just wrong. I don't mean to be rude, but if your applications contain the same kind of spelling I'm seeing on here...you won't get a call. You may be a very qualified and intelligent candidate...so PLEASE just make sure you check for spelling and grammatical errors. Most hiring managers don't take an applicant serious if they can't spell on their application. Also, have someone help you put together a nice resume.

erik--I agree, however an application is simply putting down name rank and serial number which most people should be able to spell out. If they are package handlers, it is ot like they are going to do paper work all day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Baker

88 months ago

10 months? are you serious!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

88 months ago

Blahster in Kirklin, Indiana said: I applied while I was in college several years ago. Never heard anything.

I got a job a few weeks later somewhere else. Completely and utterly forgot about applying for UPS. About 10 months later, I get a call out of the blue from them asking if I want to come in for an interview. I just replied that I had accepted other employment.

Did they really expect that I would wait around for 10 months or what?

No they didn't necessarily expect but your application was active,(it is active for one year) so they thought they would give it a shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Baker

88 months ago

30 year upser said: for a packagae handler--Loader, unloader or sorter, I believe it is 17. If you want to be a delivery driver you have to be at least 21

i am 16 right now, about to be 17 in september, my dad worked for ups and so did his friend. i would really like to work there, what kind of things do u do as a package handler?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

88 months ago

the fact that your father and friend worked there, you should have a pretty good shot at getting a job there if you use their names as refernce.
A package handler will either load a truck or unload a truck. Both jobs are hard work so I hope you will be physically able to do the job. Most UPS hubs also have a small sort area where you handle small packages. That job is not as taxing as loading or unloading.
Later you could put your name on the bid list and be a sorter which pays a dollar more.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

88 months ago

Amanda Baker said: thank you. i have tried calling and everything to see if i can work there at 16, but i was not getting any answer so i tried this site, i am glad i did.

glad to help Amanda. once you turn 17, i suggest you try applying again. I know they are always looking for people. It would shock me if you didnt get a job there because of your father and friend working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Grand Rapids, Michigan

88 months ago

So I put my app in Online for the Grand Rapids hub package handler, a few days later the app said it needed attention... Then it turned into a real application with all your work history etc...

Then once i was done it said all you need to do is schedule an appointment... I clicked on the link and it said there were no appointments available... Is that normal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

88 months ago

i would go the the HR of that particular center. Tell them what you told me. They may be able to set up an appointment immeditately or even better, interview you on the spot.
The fact that you are going out your way to get an interview will tell them that you are eager to work for UPS.

good luck

Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eusebio Fierros in Lubbock, Texas

88 months ago

Is anyone currently working at the Plainview TX UPS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Eusebio Fierros in Lubbock, Texas

88 months ago

and is there an online application?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Baker

88 months ago

yeah, i will be 17 in a few weeks, so i will just apply again!
thanks amanda!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Darin Dyroff in Phoenix, Arizona

87 months ago

Sounds like a challenging, busy, and strict envirnment. This is what im used too. If i could make it in the military for 11 years!!! I could work in a hub. Reading through here it sounds like all those who complain arent giving 120% in there job. Those who work hard are still working. Where do i sign in at!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

the nature of the business at UPS is Mon-Fri 24 hours a day. The shifts last anywhere from 3-5 hours. If and when you go for an interview, you could mention to your interviewer what hours you would like to work, but I would not be surprised if the interviewer says you will have to work 5 days --not 4. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gordon in Exeter, New Hampshire

86 months ago

I want to work at UPS and would love to be a driver (yes I know that is what everybody wants to do !)But my question is what is the best way to get my foot in door? ...I am already a driver and very used to hard days work! .. When I try to contact UPS about where there locations are in NH I feel like Iam getting the run around (not to be negative)I just would like to know if I get accepted where would I be working in my state ?
Also does already being a driver help your chances of being hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gordon in Exeter, New Hampshire said: I want to work at UPS and would love to be a driver (yes I know that is what everybody wants to do !)But my question is what is the best way to get my foot in door? ...I am already a driver and very used to hard days work! .. When I try to contact UPS about where there locations are in NH I feel like Iam getting the run around (not to be negative)I just would like to know if I get accepted where would I be working in my state ?
Also does already being a driver help your chances of being hired?

It does help that you are a driver. Normally you would work out of the building that you were hired. Did you want to be package car driver where you will deliver packages or an over the road driver--called feeder driver. If it is over the road, and you have experience, that is have all the training and paperwork for driving a semi, that would definitely help. Whether you are a package car driver or feeder, where you will drive will depend on UPS. I would be more concerned on trying to get on at UPS, rather than what route you will have. If you are more concerned with about what route you will get, UPS may not hire you because they think you will quit if you dont like the route. Hope that helps. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Walrus in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

86 months ago

I've applied at a couple different locations..checking up on status(after 30 days)...still shows as "pending"..any ideas on what I should do from here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

Walrus in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin said: I've applied at a couple different locations..checking up on status(after 30 days)...still shows as "pending"..any ideas on what I should do from here?

I would go to HR or call them and tell them that you were checking on your status. I would do this about once a week. I would even go so far as saying that I really want to work for UPS. That might impress them.--Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

85 months ago

im 16 now, and i applied twice and it just says i don't meet the requirments, i take it because i'm not 17, but i'll be 17 in december 26. isn't that the time they start letting all the people go from holiday work? so what are the chance i could get a job after the holidays or more specifically on december 26?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

85 months ago

Jelly, yes it is proably because you are not old enough. And yes they do lay off people after the holidays. So, you're chances of getting on are not great--at least for now. However, I would wait till the end of January and apply again. Most of the people that were laid off should be back at work or may not return at all, which is a strong possiblity.
I know that is not the answer you were looking for but, unfortunatley that is the way it is.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

85 months ago

so a question to follow that up...... is there any way i could get a job there before im 17? i heard about one guy who got an interview scheduled while he was 16. would i have a better chance talking to someone in person?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

85 months ago

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa said: so a question to follow that up...... is there any way i could get a job there before im 17? i heard about one guy who got an interview scheduled while he was 16. would i have a better chance talking to someone in person?

You could give it a shot as far as talking to someone personally, but that wouldn't necessarily get you an interview. I would still stick with the plan. Apply in January and then call them back at the end of January. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pookiu brown in Buffalo, New York

82 months ago

i have worked with UPS as a seasonal worker, i have applied in JANUARY for a permanent position for UPS, for 3 days my application said that it was PENDING, and finally it said ACTIVE, i have filled out the remainder of the application, and when i want to schedule an appointment it says no appointments available, what does this mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lenora Calhoun in Dallas, Texas

82 months ago

I'm looking forward of working at ups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

82 months ago

well i got an interview next week. so yeah thanks for the advice. i really hope i get the job! does anyone know if UPS pay went up after the minimum wage raise in Iowa? is it still 8.25? or ? and also i can lift up my bro who is 75 lbs and carry him around the house. will i be ok as a package handler?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

82 months ago

Jelly--the pay starts at 8.50 and after 90 days it goes up to 9.50. If you take a sort test--sorting packages to different belts--I believe it goes up to 10.50. You may want to verify this with your interviewer. It's good to know that you can lift 75 lbs. However don't be a hero. it is highly suggested that anything over 70 lbs you should ask for help no matter what you think you can lift. When lifting over 70 lbs you will be lifting packages of all sizes and shapes. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

want to know in Plymouth, Michigan

82 months ago

I have a "Panel" interview tomorrow for a sale position. What is it like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

82 months ago

k thanks a bunch , i just waanted to make sure i wouldn't have to lift 70 pounds all day long.

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

82 months ago

oh and also im 17 and a junior in high school, does anyone know if UPS is looking more so for college kids?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

82 months ago

Jelly--it used to be that UPS hired only college kids, with the reasoning that they would go to school and work at UPS. ONce they graduated they would leave. However, now days UPS actually hires highschool kids but I also heard from more than one person that the kids have to be 18. If you have an interview, you might want to verify that with your interviewer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gjon Gjini in Bronx, New York

82 months ago

I am Gjon Gjini I would like to work for UPS because there are many reasons which induce me to apply for this job.I should mention some of them one is that when you do delivers you make people happy you feel same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tommyt in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

i have a appointment to be a package handler on monday what will i being doing at the appointment and does that mean i got the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

82 months ago

It doesn't nessasarily mean you have the job. It just means you are a candidate. The interviewer will ask you if you can lift 70 punds. (say yes) When you do get the job, ask for help though. Dont try to lift it yourself. They will also ask you if you have transportation to work. What hours will you be avilable, among other questions---Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lekesia Simon in Dillon, South Carolina

82 months ago

Hi I would like to say thanks for allowing me to reply about the job. I am 25 years old love to work. I am not goning to say that I am perfect, I will make mistakes but i will learn from them. I love a challenge, I love to drive and look at the view. Most of all i will work no matter what you can depend on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

82 months ago

weelll it's been like a week and two days since i had my interview. so i take it i didn't get the job. thanks for everything though.

30 year upser

82 months ago

Jelly--dont give up just yet. Several things you can do. Call or go to the HR and check your status. They keep applications for a year. Also it takes time to sift through all the apps. so they might not have gotten to yours yet.

A reminder to people who are to be interviewed.
After the interview, ask the inteviewer if you have answered all of his/her questions. See if you can get a business card or at least a phone number so you can follow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a mond in Ohio

82 months ago

i had a interview on monday it went okay how long should i wait till i call them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan S in Salt Lake City, Utah

82 months ago

I have a question. I have worked at UPS for almost 2 years and I just became a sorter in November. I make $10.50 but when I got paid for a sick day they only paid me $9.50. Is that right or should I bring it up with my supervisor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.