How to get a job at UPS.

Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at UPS? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

kedrick bibles in Dallas, Texas

101 months ago

how do i apply for a job at the mesq. office on line? I apply for a job already,it'keep taking me back to this page can you pleas help me with his

David Brackett Jr in Thomaston, Georgia

100 months ago

i want 6to apply for a job in Dalton GA

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

100 months ago

David Brackett Jr said: help

Although you may have some luck in that an employer seeing your post, this forum is just for discussions on this company. I would suggest applying for a position with the company directly from our site. Next time you do a search on Indeed click on the job listing you are interested in. This will direct you to the website the job is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply.

Good luck!

vernial eubanks in Chicago, Illinois

100 months ago

i would love too work for ups

vernialeubanks in Chicago, Illinois

100 months ago

ups have great educational .work also good exercise .for me do too. the job prescribton IM .. looking for package handler i

LULA TEALER in Berkeley, California

100 months ago

I"M CURRRENTLY AVALIABLE FOR ANY SHIFF
AND I WOULD LOVE TO BECOME A PART TIME PACKAGE HANDLER
AND YES I CAN LIFT 50LBS OR MORE AND YES I CAN PASS A DRUG TEST AND CAN WORK WEEKENDS AND ANY OTHER SHIFF YOU NEED ME TOO. PLEASE CONSIDER ME OR KEEP ME IN MIND

THANK YOU
LULA TEALER

Darin Dyroff in Phoenix, Arizona

94 months ago

Sounds like a challenging, busy, and strict envirnment. This is what im used too. If i could make it in the military for 11 years!!! I could work in a hub. Reading through here it sounds like all those who complain arent giving 120% in there job. Those who work hard are still working. Where do i sign in at!!!!!!

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

92 months ago

im 16 now, and i applied twice and it just says i don't meet the requirments, i take it because i'm not 17, but i'll be 17 in december 26. isn't that the time they start letting all the people go from holiday work? so what are the chance i could get a job after the holidays or more specifically on december 26?

30 year upser

92 months ago

Jelly, yes it is proably because you are not old enough. And yes they do lay off people after the holidays. So, you're chances of getting on are not great--at least for now. However, I would wait till the end of January and apply again. Most of the people that were laid off should be back at work or may not return at all, which is a strong possiblity.
I know that is not the answer you were looking for but, unfortunatley that is the way it is.
Good luck.

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

92 months ago

so a question to follow that up...... is there any way i could get a job there before im 17? i heard about one guy who got an interview scheduled while he was 16. would i have a better chance talking to someone in person?

30 year upser

92 months ago

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa said: so a question to follow that up...... is there any way i could get a job there before im 17? i heard about one guy who got an interview scheduled while he was 16. would i have a better chance talking to someone in person?

You could give it a shot as far as talking to someone personally, but that wouldn't necessarily get you an interview. I would still stick with the plan. Apply in January and then call them back at the end of January. Good Luck

pookiu brown in Buffalo, New York

89 months ago

i have worked with UPS as a seasonal worker, i have applied in JANUARY for a permanent position for UPS, for 3 days my application said that it was PENDING, and finally it said ACTIVE, i have filled out the remainder of the application, and when i want to schedule an appointment it says no appointments available, what does this mean?

Lenora Calhoun in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

I'm looking forward of working at ups.

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

89 months ago

well i got an interview next week. so yeah thanks for the advice. i really hope i get the job! does anyone know if UPS pay went up after the minimum wage raise in Iowa? is it still 8.25? or ? and also i can lift up my bro who is 75 lbs and carry him around the house. will i be ok as a package handler?

30 year upser

89 months ago

Jelly--the pay starts at 8.50 and after 90 days it goes up to 9.50. If you take a sort test--sorting packages to different belts--I believe it goes up to 10.50. You may want to verify this with your interviewer. It's good to know that you can lift 75 lbs. However don't be a hero. it is highly suggested that anything over 70 lbs you should ask for help no matter what you think you can lift. When lifting over 70 lbs you will be lifting packages of all sizes and shapes. Good luck

want to know in Plymouth, Michigan

89 months ago

I have a "Panel" interview tomorrow for a sale position. What is it like?

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

89 months ago

k thanks a bunch , i just waanted to make sure i wouldn't have to lift 70 pounds all day long.

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

89 months ago

oh and also im 17 and a junior in high school, does anyone know if UPS is looking more so for college kids?

30 year upser

89 months ago

Jelly--it used to be that UPS hired only college kids, with the reasoning that they would go to school and work at UPS. ONce they graduated they would leave. However, now days UPS actually hires highschool kids but I also heard from more than one person that the kids have to be 18. If you have an interview, you might want to verify that with your interviewer.

Gjon Gjini in Bronx, New York

89 months ago

I am Gjon Gjini I would like to work for UPS because there are many reasons which induce me to apply for this job.I should mention some of them one is that when you do delivers you make people happy you feel same thing.

tommyt in Cleveland, Ohio

89 months ago

i have a appointment to be a package handler on monday what will i being doing at the appointment and does that mean i got the job

30 year upser

89 months ago

It doesn't nessasarily mean you have the job. It just means you are a candidate. The interviewer will ask you if you can lift 70 punds. (say yes) When you do get the job, ask for help though. Dont try to lift it yourself. They will also ask you if you have transportation to work. What hours will you be avilable, among other questions---Good Luck

Lekesia Simon in Dillon, South Carolina

89 months ago

Hi I would like to say thanks for allowing me to reply about the job. I am 25 years old love to work. I am not goning to say that I am perfect, I will make mistakes but i will learn from them. I love a challenge, I love to drive and look at the view. Most of all i will work no matter what you can depend on me.

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

89 months ago

weelll it's been like a week and two days since i had my interview. so i take it i didn't get the job. thanks for everything though.

30 year upser

89 months ago

Jelly--dont give up just yet. Several things you can do. Call or go to the HR and check your status. They keep applications for a year. Also it takes time to sift through all the apps. so they might not have gotten to yours yet.

A reminder to people who are to be interviewed.
After the interview, ask the inteviewer if you have answered all of his/her questions. See if you can get a business card or at least a phone number so you can follow up.

a mond in Ohio

89 months ago

i had a interview on monday it went okay how long should i wait till i call them

Megan S in Salt Lake City, Utah

89 months ago

I have a question. I have worked at UPS for almost 2 years and I just became a sorter in November. I make $10.50 but when I got paid for a sick day they only paid me $9.50. Is that right or should I bring it up with my supervisor?

30 year upser

89 months ago

If you are officially assigned as a sorter--that is you do it everyday, you should have received skill pay for your sick day. If you are a back-up sorter, then you would have gotten the lower pay. I would discuss it with a shop steward before talking to the supervisor. If he tells you that you should have gotten skill pay then talk to your supervisor. If the supervisor still disagrees then ask to see the shop steward so you could all discuss it together.

pookiu brown in east aurora, New York

89 months ago

i just started working for UPS, im really happy, i would just like to know if i wanted to go to collage how does earn and learn program work, can i go to any collage and they would reimburse you for that year, anyy suggestion?

30 year upser

89 months ago

I am not sure how exactly how it works because I have never used it. The best thing to do is ask your immediate supervisor for info. If he cant help you ask the full time supe. If nothing else go to the HR at your building. They should be able to help. Glad like working at UPS.

Daniel Kuehl in Palm Bay, Florida

89 months ago

30 year upser said: I am not sure how exactly how it works because I have never used it. The best thing to do is ask your immediate supervisor for info. If he cant help you ask the full time supe. If nothing else go to the HR at your building. They should be able to help. Glad like working at UPS.

30 year upser. im new to the site but ive been looking through the questions and the answers that people have been asking you and the answers you've been giving and i want to ask you a question.
i live in palmbay florida there are two ups branchs in the area that hire drivers, package handlers and so on and is it just best to look online everyday for job openings or can i just drive to these place and ask for an application? i really want to get a job with ups and i know id be a great imployee its just the getting in is the hard part from what i see and hear.
my main reason for wanting to get in with ups is a longterm career change from what i do now. im a roofer for my parents company and after ten years im looking for something for my future and feel ups would be a perfect fit for me.
anyways, enough rambling thanks for any advice that you could give.

dan

30 year upser

89 months ago

Daniel--It is good that you want to work for UPS for two reasons. One is that it is a good job to advance to hopefully be a driver one day. Second you get benefits. This is important because come August 1 of this year new hires hired after that date will NOT get benefits at all for 1 year and another six months for coverage for their family.
As far as getting a job at UPS, tell them that you are eager to want to work there. That you would be a hard worker because you are used to hard labor. Try applying on line at both facilities. Wait a week or so and then call the HR of both buildings to see if they received the application. If you get a live person, tell that person you are calling because you want to work at UPS and would like to be interviewed. Good Luck

Daniel Kuehl in Palm Bay, Florida

89 months ago

30 year upser said: Daniel--It is good that you want to work for UPS for two reasons. One is that it is a good job to advance to hopefully be a driver one day. Second you get benefits. This is important because come August 1 of this year new hires hired after that date will NOT get benefits at all for 1 year and another six months for coverage for their family.
As far as getting a job at UPS, tell them that you are eager to want to work there. That you would be a hard worker because you are used to hard labor. Try applying on line at both facilities. Wait a week or so and then call the HR of both buildings to see if they received the application. If you get a live person, tell that person you are calling because you want to work at UPS and would like to be interviewed. Good Luck

thanks for responding 30yr upser. what if there are no openings online for those two locations, could i still go there and fill out an app or would they say we have no openings and to check back online for when they do. i just think it makes more sense to speak with someone in person and to fill out an app at the location but i dont know how they do things.

30 year upser

89 months ago

Daniel--I am not sure if you could apply in person anymore. You could always try. Either way wether it be in person or internet go ahead and apply. Reason being is that even if they dont have any openings, they will keep you application for a year. Once you fill out the app. on line, wait a week and then call HR at both locations to make sure they recieved it okay. This would be a good excuse to call them anyway. As I said if you do get a live person, tell them that you would like to work for UPS, whatever it takes.

RICESKI in Columbia, South Carolina

88 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. I mean maybe it is a spoof thing? I once wrote a letter to Kelly Girl [ yeah i am a guy - :)] saying I is an old broad and in needing of a rael job and to please send me something soon cause i is gonna die if'n i gots me no job - plase hurry. they actually called me and laughed - hahaha so it might be - but still - who knows?

RICESKI in Columbia, South Carolina

88 months ago

Erik in Salt Lake City, Utah said: LOL...I'm sorry but this posting is just wrong. I don't mean to be rude, but if your applications contain the same kind of spelling I'm seeing on here...you won't get a call. You may be a very qualified and intelligent candidate...so PLEASE just make sure you check for spelling and grammatical errors. Most hiring managers don't take an applicant serious if they can't spell on their application. Also, have someone help you put together a nice resume.

What does you meen? If they is like that I meen a spelling racist - waht does I care? Semes to me they coud mayb teach me you no like on the secnod shiff?
:)

a mond in Ohio

88 months ago

so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

30 year upser

88 months ago

a mond in Ohio said: so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

Yes, definitely call them, especially if you know the person who interviewed you. Tell them you were interviewed and just following up. Tell them also that you really would like to work for UPS.---good luck.

dal77 in Columbus, Georgia

88 months ago

a mond in Ohio said: so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

I agree w/a mond- call them. My son has been w/UPS for over 2 yrs now, and when he applied, he didn't hear anything for at least 3 months, but at least that tells you they really do keep their apps for awhile. He started out as a driver assistant for just the holidays, and then when the job ended, they called him and offered him a loading position on second shift. So if you do a good job, they will keep you in mind!

tldc in brandon, Mississippi

87 months ago

Hi everybody! I went yesterday for my tour and interview with UPS and it was a very quick interview. He said he asked if he could do a background check of course I said yes.
He told me what shift he would rather me work and said that if I was one they chose he would give a call. That it would be about 2wks for me to start work if I was one they chose.
I don't want to be discouraged but I am. I know I'm a women but I know I can work hard I use to work as a wing-cutter at sanderson farms so I know what it's like to work hard

30 year upser

87 months ago

why are you discouraged? it takes a while to sift through all the applications and interviews. I would wait a week and then give them a call. when being inteviewed, always ask for a business card with a phone number. If you dont have one, go to the HR where you interviewed at and see if you can talk to the interviewer. This shows that you are eager to work and want to find out the status of your interview.---good luck

nick116 in Kansas City, Kansas

87 months ago

Hello 30 year upser, I was really wanting to know the details on how to become a driver at ups assuming you started out as a package handler. I have heard from different people saying that it takes years for ups to make you a driver. But when I asked a ups guy he said he only worked there a year and six months and they made him a driver. Any and all info on how the process of becoming a driver would be greatly appreciated! The only reason I ask is I would really like to be a driver and would be willing to put up with the package handler for awhile but not 5 years.....

30 year upser

87 months ago

Nick, it all depends on the center you work at. In my area, it takes anywhere from 5-8 years to be a driver. the best thing to do is apply, and ask your inteviewer. or ask the ups guy in your area, (assuming you will work out of the same building). He would then be able to tell you the turn around time to be a driver. Good luck.

87 months ago

Thank you, does it make a difference if I'm 36yrs old and a women? Would they likely hire the men because they are stronger? They only had 2 or 3 women in our group, out of 12 I was like 1 of the last ones they called into the office for an interview-& it didn't last but for 5 mins if that. Thanks for your input it really helps alot

30 year upser

86 months ago

tldc in brandon, Mississippi said: Thank you, does it make a difference if I'm 36yrs old and a women? Would they likely hire the men because they are stronger? They only had 2 or 3 women in our group, out of 12 I was like 1 of the last ones they called into the office for an interview-& it didn't last but for 5 mins if that. Thanks for your input it really helps alot

If I were UPS I would hire you simply because an older person has a better work ethic than a "kid". You are likely to show up everyday where a younger person, especially on a friday night will take off to go to a concert or whatever.
Unfortunately, that's me. As I said before, I would wait a week and give UPS a call or drop by HR.
Something else. All UPS centers have what is called a small sort. That is where small packages are sent to instead of putting them on the conveyor belt. When you talk to the interviewer, ask them if they have any openings in the small sort area. This shows you have done your research on the operation of UPS. If nothing else, you could be hired as a loader or unloader and then eventually sign your name to work in the small sort area.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

86 months ago

Thank you very much I will let you know what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!

sherree in Jacksonville, Florida

86 months ago

I would like to know which web site to go to for an actual job application for UPS. Seems most you have to pay for a job application. Can you please be specific as to where to apply to?

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

86 months ago

just go to upsjobs.com it'll take you the site. next click jobsearch or something like that. and type in the city you live... should be eazy from there. and here's a question of my own to whoever thinks they can answer. I probably had my first UPS interview atleast 3 months ago. They said they'd call back for a second interview. They haven't since then. Should I ever expect to be called back or should I stop hoping. The other thing is the UPS factory which I applied to has been advertising that they are hiring ever since I first heard about it back in January. So my question is why would they not call me back if they still need more workers?

cornelius garrett in chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

i am a very hardworker i will work anyshift anyday anytime

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.