What's the company culture at UPS?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at UPS?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at UPS?

Reply - Report abuse

Mark D in Cleveland, Ohio

90 months ago

Brown77 said: I have been employeed with UPS for 13 years. I started from the bottom as a local sorter, worked my way up... If you want to be the best you can be, UPS is for you....all of those who just want a paycheck....McDonalds needs you.

Can you explain why UPS advertises jobs nonstop every day and apparently interviews/pre-interviews hundreds of people. They advertise non-stop for a center that only has 40 unloading and 40 loading doors, with just one person to a door.

I see this as a positive sign that the previous comments are accurate concerning them. Apparently, people are quitting these jobs faster than they can be replaced.

People do not respond to being yelled at, especially when they are busting their ass to begin with.

I have seen this same advertising go one for year’s non-stop, so I am sure the revolving door has been spinning all those years.

Why does UPS not tell people that they will unloading at a rate of 1200 packages an hour and loading at a rate of 500 per hour BEFORE they get the "tour".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in North Ridgeville, Ohio

90 months ago

Oh my, sorry to hear about all bad work experiences. I agree with Mark, people do not need to be constantly yelled at. If the interview and selection process weeds out poor workers, then repsonsible workers can get hired; responsible workers that are dedicated and always give 110% and remain loyal and dedicated.

Sounds to me like they want to hire a bunch of "gomers" that are 100% followers and can not think for themselves.

I was going to apply for an engineering job (like manufacturing engineering at a warehouse) but if the morale is this bad then they can find someone else to belittle.

I am a go-getter, good at what I do, and I always take the initiative on ideas/responsibilities with work. I even jog and bodybuild so I am in good shape. Heck, I don't have a beer gut because I don't drink alcohol.

Too bad they hire people that need to constantly yelled at. Do they supply a urine bag and cowbell too?

Another thing I wonder about. If there is so much work, why not hire more unemployed workers and keep everyone at 8 hours a day? Employers should take more initiative to help keep unemployment low. The extra insurance costs from more workers really won't put them out of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Mac in Albany, New York

89 months ago

Hard work is good for you. Damn nation of sissys. We are so lazy as a country it is shame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Fort Myers, Florida

89 months ago

David in Osseo, Minnesota said: The benefits are good, but its a sweat factory.

I worked there for 5 months back in 2003-04.

If you don't mind being yelled at constantly,DESPITE the fact you are working at a very high pace, then UPS is for you.

$8.50 is the same rate they have paid for years (for unloading trucks and sorting letters and small parcels in small sort).

$9.50 is for the poor schleps who load the trucks, the pressure is worse for them.

My best memory is the "Holiday Treat" they gave us at Breaktime. You had 10 minutes to enjoy a plate of beans and weenies...then the buzzer rang and the managers yelled at everyone to get back to work. Charming place.

------------------------

They talk about earning senority (5-6 years) and you can become a delivery driver. Look at the drivers when they arrive in the morning and you see tired, ragged drivers....resigned to their fate. UPS works them hard too.

----------------------

My brother-in-law has been a driver for UPS for over 15 years. One time he slipped and fell off the back of a loading dock and banged and cut his head. Lucky he had no concussion or worse. When he called in saying he needed to get stiches.....the supervisor at UPS asked if he could finish his route first.

Classy. Caring. That is what Senority will earn you.

I could tell other stories.

Take this to heart, don't work at UPS unless you are young (fresh back), and desparately need tuition assistance and health care coverage.

Its a sweat factory.

everything i've read above is true 100 percent.i worked for ups in maspeth new york,it is total slavery. slaved for six years,saved my money bought a house and left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Fort Myers, Florida

89 months ago

Brown77 in Winter Park, Florida said: I have been employeed with UPS for 13 years. I started from the bottom as a local sorter, worked my way up to an air driver, then driver, then supervisor, now I am a manager. For those of you who read the previous "sweat shop" replies....they are right. UPSers, people who work at UPS...develop themselves into a different category within the workforce. If you can work at UPS, work at "our" pace...you can work at any job. For the poor person who wrote about sups yelling and he/she had 10 min to eat beans and franks...they sound to me as if they couldn't cut it. Working at UPS is a make or break deal. That is why we have been in business for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? Darwins theory of evolution...the strong will survive. My best advise to those of you who want to apply. Apply online..if u get the job...be prepared to be your best. UPS is a lot like the military. We a professionals at what we do. By our work ethics and our state of mind. Like my mentor said, " If we hired lazy workers...we would get lazy results". If you want to be the best you can be, UPS is for you....all of those who just want a paycheck....McDonalds needs you.

this dude slaved for 13 years to management and is proud of it seems like thats the only job his brain can handle.you forgot to mention how many asses you kissed,how many of your fellow drivers you rat on.i work there for six years i could nt stand the bias and ratting on each other for future management positions.i have seen even the shop steward doing fake representation of some drivers because he and the manager used to be driver buddies.it is sickening.i have a ton load of garbage that ups produce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Names_Not_Important in Coram, New York

89 months ago

Just to give a little view into the world of full time drivers at UPS. The hardest part in becoming a full time driver driver at UPS is dealing with all the crap they throw at you in order for you to get the 30 days required to get into the union. You will work a few hours here and there so make sure you have money stashed away because you will need it during that process. If you are lucky enough to make your 30 days and get into the union you will need to prepare yourself for battle on a daily basis. It's the job of supervisors to squeeze every stop they can out of you. That's why drivers and management always but heads. So all of the stuff you used to to after work at your previous job, forget that, because there isn't much time left after working 11 and 12 hours a day. A 10 hour day is the standard at UPS and if you work less than that consider yourself lucky. Yes teh benefits are great but nothing is given to you at UPS. We earn everything we get. O ya, forgot to mention, from the day you start working there they start a file on you. It's a file that compiles all the stuff you do wrong so they can fire you. All you are to them is a machine and they will run that machine into the ground. And they preach safety safety safety but over dispatch you everyday. Work safely but hurry up. I know it sounds negative but it's reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Armadale, Australia

89 months ago

What is the management culture like once you have flogged yourself to get there or maybe come from somewhere else....I am curious as I've been thinking about applying and have never worked at UPS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs B in SC in Lexington, South Carolina

89 months ago

I have a friend who works small sort (nothing over 10 lbs) at the air hub in sc. I like her hours (11pm-2am), so this would work well for me to be able to not have to put my kids in daycare. She has mentioned getting me the phone number to call and see if they're hiring, but hasn't. When I go online it does not mention the small sort section, so I assume that the package handling would be much heavier. I guess I need to ask her how she got into this area. I think this is something that I could handle for this few hours; heard the benefits even for part time are great. I wonder if I should just look them up in the phone book and call myself; or if maybe it's as bad as I've read on here and she just doesn't think that I should try to get on because it's so rough, even though she said she has been there 4 years and likes it. Also, do they usually have a lot of female employees in the package handling section or mainly guys?

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danejruss Terrist in Jacksonville, Florida

89 months ago

Mrs B in SC in Lexington, South Carolina said: I have a friend who works small sort (nothing over 10 lbs) at the air hub in sc. I like her hours (11pm-2am), so this would work well for me to be able to not have to put my kids in daycare. She has mentioned getting me the phone number to call and see if they're hiring, but hasn't. When I go online it does not mention the small sort section, so I assume that the package handling would be much heavier. I guess I need to ask her how she got into this area. I think this is something that I could handle for this few hours; heard the benefits even for part time are great. I wonder if I should just look them up in the phone book and call myself; or if maybe it's as bad as I've read on here and she just doesn't think that I should try to get on because it's so rough, even though she said she has been there 4 years and likes it. Also, do they usually have a lot of female employees in the package handling section or mainly guys?

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

At our UPS all the package handlers are male. However, one of my supervisors likes to remind us that he has had several female handlers that were better workers than some of his males. It is definitely possible, but I would not recommend it for a woman of motherly age... unless you are the mother of a future bodybuilder or professional wrestler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SKeet in Sanford, Florida

89 months ago

%80 of my small sort is women. %70 of SPA people and Data Aq are women, most are older women with kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jsick17

88 months ago

You are definitely not lying I have worked there I am 18 and ba big black male I lifted 100+ lb boxes all day at at least 3 a min with only a 10 min break so I realized I need to go to school were I am on my way 2 now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rick Slick in Deerfield Beach, Florida

87 months ago

Brown77 in Winter Park, Florida said: I have been employeed with UPS for 13 years. I started from the bottom as a local sorter, worked my way up to an air driver, then driver, then supervisor, now I am a manager. For those of you who read the previous "sweat shop" replies....they are right. UPSers, people who work at UPS...develop themselves into a different category within the workforce. If you can work at UPS, work at "our" pace...you can work at any job. For the poor person who wrote about sups yelling and he/she had 10 min to eat beans and franks...they sound to me as if they couldn't cut it. Working at UPS is a make or break deal. That is why we have been in business for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? Darwins theory of evolution...the strong will survive. My best advise to those of you who want to apply. Apply online..if u get the job...be prepared to be your best. UPS is a lot like the military. We a professionals at what we do. By our work ethics and our state of mind. Like my mentor said, " If we hired lazy workers...we would get lazy results". If you want to be the best you can be, UPS is for you....all of those who just want a paycheck....McDonalds needs you.

Big difference between a company that requires you to earn a paycheck (which I agree with) and one that treats its employees like dogs (I don't want to work there).
Apparently UPS like some other companies rely on employee FEAR of loosing there jobs and not of motivation and mutual respect. I would rather work for less than to be treated like a robot or dog.
Rick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stan in Lithonia, Georgia

87 months ago

cindy in Brooklyn, New York said: what happened to work ethic? ::sigh:: packages handlers have it rough but it's not as bad as you people are putting it. i'm 28 yrs old and I LOVE this job, great company, great coworkers, excellent benefits and I'm only part time because I'm going back to school to get my master's in developmental psychology. i agree with jay mac back there in albany, you people are all a buncha sissies!

Yeah, you're probably saying that because you DON'T work as loader/unloader LOL. I agree with most of these people about it being tougher than it seems to be, but it does have it's moments when its worth the while. UPS (from time to time) is pretty good at giving away some pretty cool stuff to it's employees (X-boxes, radios, ipods, etc. and they are not just for management either, pretty much anyone in the entire hub qualifies).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MB in Freedomland

86 months ago

I've had 20+ years working for jagoffs. I'd be a great worker for UPS, but think more of myself than being a drone for some odious enterprise. Jagoffs begone to the 9th circle of Hell! I have survived despite corp. efforts to break me !!! Hallelujah, I'm ALIVVVVVVE !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MB in Freedomland

86 months ago

Jay Mac in Albany, New York said: Hard work is good for you. Damn nation of sissys. We are so lazy as a country it is shame.

Spoken like a twenty-something whose body hasn't began breaking down yet. When you're in your fifties, all the jagoffs who pushed you won't be around to administer meds to your sorry ass !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

whocares in Los Angeles, California

86 months ago

so im reading this...
i jsut got the job, and i only weight about 120 and im 5'9 . im male and have a small frame, so this wouldnt be a job suitable for me? (part-time package handler)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rick Slick in Pompano Beach, Florida

86 months ago

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll go to flipping burgers and retain my self dignity and not be yelled at like a dog.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richmond, Virginia

86 months ago

The benefits are very good, the pay is OK until you get into management but they WILL abuse you. I was in management and they will take advantage of you anyway they can. Most people there are NOT happy, they've just been there for a long time and don't want to give up their seniority status, vacation time and/or reitrement benefits. That manager that spoke above Brown77 is the same idiot you will deal with througout the company. They all think alike and talk alike. They use intimidation to make you do things. Here's a question for all you outsiders...Do you ever wonder why UPS is always a top giver for United Way? Do you think their employees are more generous than other employees from other Companies? NO, UPS FORCES THEIR EMPLOYEES TO GIVE, Some resist but there goes your growth potential with the company. When UPS believes in something, they force it among their subordinates, and in turn, they force it on theirs. Everyone has to follow the leader or else they will make it very miserable for you.
I'm glad the drivers have the Unions because they really need it, they are still abused but they at least get paid for it. If you want a good salary but a poor work/life balance and a lot of stress, UPS may be right for you, otherwise, there are plenty of other companies to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Docsand in Grand Rapids, Michigan

85 months ago

I have only been working for a little over 3 weeks as a splitter/pre-loader. Its hot sweaty work and you will be sore after each days shift. However it's what was described during the tour and following interviews(2 of them). I have not once been yelled at, I wor k roughly from 4:50am to about 9:00 am each day with every weekend off. Pay isint all that great considering I used to make quite a bit more at my previous job. However i am now going to school full time so this opens up my day completely to go to classes. Oh and UPS will help with tuition as well up to 1500 a month. so all in all I have to say if your looking for something to make a little money, benefits and short hours its the place for you. If you cant work in a hot dirty enviorment lifting, moving or sorting through boxes then I would look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Grand Rapids, Michigan

85 months ago

Im looking to get into working for UPS as a package handler or wherever they have a spot for me. That tuition money would set my mind at ease for not having to take out a loan. And the pay would pay the rent... Docsand, Im in grand rapids also, I was wondering if I can go down to the place and present myself to get hired quicker.... However I can not find an address or even a phone number. All I found was apply online and hope someone contacts you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabe in Imperial Beach, California

85 months ago

Greg in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Im looking to get into working for UPS as a package handler or wherever they have a spot for me. That tuition money would set my mind at ease for not having to take out a loan. And the pay would pay the rent... Docsand, Im in grand rapids also, I was wondering if I can go down to the place and present myself to get hired quicker.... However I can not find an address or even a phone number. All I found was apply online and hope someone contacts you.

I applied last night for a baggage handler position online, and at the end of the application it said I had an appointment for a tour on the 21st of this month. I don't know if this is typical but it seems if they need someone in the baggage handler position they will give you an appointment right after the application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

skilo in Marietta, Georgia

85 months ago

i just applyed for the package handler position and they called me within 24 hrs to do a follow up on me and i was kinda getting excited about working for ups until i read all of this and i must say getting yelled at at work is not something im looking forward to its bad enough you gota donate a percentage of your life everyday to a job but getting yelled at while your there wtf? walmart pays 8$ per hour and u will get full time you can talk to hot chicks while you work and no one yells at you and walmarts benifits arent to shabby either but on a more personal note if a supervisor does try to make my already pathetic life even more ruff then that supervisor better not let me see what car he comes and goes in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Toadstump in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

85 months ago

I worked as a Temp seasonal drivers helper in Vermont.
10 hour days....running about 1/2 acre through 12"of snow cuz the driveway
was impassable....Wow. Serious work. If you arent in shape, dont even
waste time applying. It was all I could do to crawl up the steps and into
my house at he end of the day. They did have cool overtime for us though,
at the end of 8 hours, you started getting OT, meaning if you worked 18
hours in two days, already you have 2 hours time-and-a-half.
My driver was really cool, we had a great time despite the work load. I have
new respect for those guys....thier managers yell at them and threaten them all
day long while piling on more, and more, and more work !!!! YIKES.
A lot of people dropped out evry week but if you made it to the end you get
a Gas Card for 50.00 and you and your driver get a check for 150.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonah in Seattle, Washington

84 months ago

UPS was a great experience. I worked there for 5 years - started in the "hell-ish" environment of loading semi's loading 2000 + packages a night and worked my way up to managment. The problem with that company isn't the fact that people are yelling at you, its the hiring process being TOO LEANIENT and not filtering recruits enough. If you do your job and perform to the best of your ability, you will not get "yelled" at. Talking to an employee who made a mistake and discussing how to not make that mistake again is not being "yelled" at and it seems through these posts that half of these people that have a negative reviews with the company were the dumb-asses who I used to despise that 1)didn't pull their weight and made people like me do their work for them so they could simply "collect a check" 2)didn't know what the hell they were getting themselves into and just couldn't cut it at a Fortune 500 company that has been in existence for over 100 years. Its not the easiest job in the world but if you think about what you are getting in return: FULL BENEFITS working PART TIME, CONSISTENT COMPETITVE RAISES, AMPLE OPPURTUNITY TO WORK YOUR WAY UPWARDS INTO MANAGMENT, DRIVING, PLUS A MYRIAD OF OTHER JOBS, its worth the work-out and the occasional young manager/supervisor trying to make a name of themsevles by maybe taking their job too seriously. I currently do not work there anymore but I have learned more about the buisness world with that company than all my previous jobs combined. Not to mention every employer I have worked with since then has not only complemented me on working for that company and the accomplishments I acheived there as a supervisor but have real respect for those who can work there and make things happen. Its not for those who look at the job simply for a pay check but as a stepping stone for bettering your career and is not for those who cant define goals, its not a fairy tale world boys and girls and thats why they are a Fortune 500 company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Rick Slick in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Thanks for the advice. Think I'll go to flipping burgers and retain my self dignity and not be yelled at like a dog.

Self dignity? Flipping burgers and retaining self-dignity is an oxymoron. Not possible. Who has self-dignity working at McDonalds? Working at UPS is like working construction, you work hard and you get something out of it. You gotta be kidding me. Its not the easiest atmosphere to work in but what successfull company has a utopia of a workplace? Name one company that doesn't have problems and treats everyone like we are in a Disney movie? It seems those who cant cut it in the UPS world are the people who are going to be flipping my burgers, cleaning my toilets, and begging for change on the road because that seems like thats the life you want. There is no dignity working in fast food or companies of the like, and if you would rather be a piss-ant in the world flipping burgers rather than being a dog for a short while, learning from your mistakes, working your way up and teaching other punk kids how to goal orient themselves be my guest. We always need people at McDonalds that can speak english at least and take my order. People who cant even speak english and have no education what so ever can work at fast food chains and do fine. How many of us have seen the dumb manager in one of those places and just thought "how does this place stay in buisness?" Its because they doop you into thinking you won't get yelled at and settle for an ignoble lifestyle. So whos really the "dog".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

anonymous in Richmond, Virginia said: The benefits are very good, the pay is OK until you get into management but they WILL abuse you. I was in management and they will take advantage of you anyway they can.... That manager that spoke above Brown77 is the same idiot you will deal with througout the company. ....I'm glad the drivers have the Unions because they really need it, they are still abused but they at least get paid for it. If you want a good salary ..., UPS may be right for you, otherwise, there are plenty of other companies to work for.

Its the Teamsters that are corrupt and making the workplace so "miserable" for you people. But God bless them right? Its the UNIONS JOB TO PROVIDE WELFARE FOR THEIR MEMBERS. And talk about robots? Read the Union Contract and they refer to union members and the work they do as "bargaining units". Why has the wages for hourly loaders been $8.50 since the late 70's early 80's in most places? Because fat Tony and his buddy that are negotiaters for the Teamsters at UPS are more worried how they are going to get their greivance check and how to add another $5 an hour to their wage doing the easiest work UPS has to offer rather than give the college kid struggling to do the work of fat Tony and his buddy and his own as well as go to school full time. Dont blame the company as much as you should blame those who are suppose to be protecting the employees of the company. The union acts much like politics these days in a sense they look out for their own benefit and dont give a rats ass about those of you who come in and come out because you cant cut it. I mean read the union contract and they (teamsters) refer to members and work they do as "bargaining units". Whos considering them robots now? Most people on this thread have no idea of what the system really is and what makes it move and they are your typical Alternative High School kids who have a lower IQ than my hypothetically born 3 month old child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Simpsonville, South Carolina

84 months ago

UPS is one of the worst possible places to work - ever. You always hear about the great benefits - that's because they are the only thing that is great. It is a MICRO-MANAGED company and nothing you do is ever, EVER good enough. You are treated like a number and they have no care for you as an employee whatsoever. NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS - to hear them tell it, it's never enough - despite what the earnings and financial reports say. I work in the sales/business development end and it's the worst. I cannot speak about the center/package driver,loader side. I have never been treated with so much disrespect - that's why I'm currently looking elsewhere!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

84 months ago

I am thinking of applying for a driver's position but I have no idea what I could make. I have a family at home that I need health insurance for. I have my CDL and a very clean record. Anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JETBLUE66 in WEST COAST, California

84 months ago

Carrie in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: UPS is one of the worst possible places to work - ever. You always hear about the great benefits - that's because they are the only thing that is great. It is a MICRO-MANAGED company and nothing you do is ever, EVER good enough. You are treated like a number and they have no care for you as an employee whatsoever. NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS - to hear them tell it, it's never enough - despite what the earnings and financial reports say. I work in the sales/business development end and it's the worst. I cannot speak about the center/package driver,loader side. I have never been treated with so much disrespect - that's why I'm currently looking elsewhere!!!!

OK... I am a former UPS management survivor.(I was not fired, 18 year vetran of hell. Carrie.. My advice is watch Big Idea with Donny Duetch on CNBC. Set goals and be motivated to look outside the box and do what you want to do.

UPS is the most dishonest numbers driven company out there. I challenge any current or former UPS management person out there to dispute this.

It does have great benefits, but the price of saping every ounce of energy from you tired and worn out body, is not worth it.

My advice, take advantage of Tuition and get a degree on UPS. Then Run Like hell.

There has been 13 management persons leave in my area in the last 12 months...WHY?

I have never been happier.

Jetblue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Jonah in Seattle, Washington said: Self dignity? Flipping burgers and retaining self-dignity is an oxymoron. Not possible. Who has self-dignity working at McDonalds? Working at UPS is like working construction, you work hard and you get something out of it. You gotta be kidding me. Its not the easiest atmosphere to work in but what successfull company has a utopia of a workplace? Name one company that doesn't have problems and treats everyone like we are in a Disney movie? It seems those who cant cut it in the UPS world are the people who are going to be flipping my burgers, cleaning my toilets, and begging for change on the road because that seems like thats the life you want. There is no dignity working in fast food or companies of the like, and if you would rather be a piss-ant in the world flipping burgers rather than being a dog for a short while, learning from your mistakes, working your way up and teaching other punk kids how to goal orient themselves be my guest. We always need people at McDonalds that can speak english at least and take my order. People who cant even speak english and have no education what so ever can work at fast food chains and do fine. How many of us have seen the dumb manager in one of those places and just thought "how does this place stay in buisness?" Its because they doop you into thinking you won't get yelled at and settle for an ignoble lifestyle. So whos really the "dog".

Do what you want to do. If you stay at UPS, stay with the Union, Stay out of management,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

John in Lenexa, KS in Overland Park, Kansas said: I've worked there 6 years.

The benefits are awesome, better than most full-time jobs even at part-time. I believe they are starting people at $9 now with a $.50 raise after thirty days. another $1 if you pass a test and become a sorter. I started at $8.50 and now I'm at $15. I expect to get another raise in the next 6 months.

It is, indeed, a sweat factory. Plus side: you can drop the gym membership. You must be prepared to work hard and get yelled at anyway. There is a chance that you'll get a supervisor that yells little but it's a small chance. They are under alot of pressure too.

I've had two injuries since I've started, both about a year ago. I strained my trapezius and deltoid muscles (shoulder). They sent me to the clinic and paid for physical therapy for the month or so it took. They also found lighter work for me at work. They recommended that I take some time off, but I passed because I couldn't wait a few weeks for the disability checks to come in.

The other time I cut my finger. A bunch of little cuts but they bled alot. I just needed a bandage but ended up getting a doctor to look at it and a tetnis shot.
Both times procedure made them give me a test on saftey that made it seem like my fault.

My primary issue with U.P.S. is that it's very difficult to get on full-time. I'm still part-time after 6 years.

And you will be scrutinized for your injuries. Remember, at UPS all injuries are the fault of the employee.... Management are taught to do this. It is called an avoidable injury, avoidable accident, Nothing is un-avoidable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

DennisOB in Abington, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

UPS does not hire many 8hr positions because there studies have revealed lower production rates begin to apply after about 4 hrs.

Love DOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jizzle in South San Francisco, California

81 months ago

JETBLUE66 in WEST COAST, California said: OK... I am a former UPS management survivor.(I was not fired, 18 year vetran of hell. Carrie.. My advice is watch Big Idea with Donny Duetch on CNBC. Set goals and be motivated to look outside the box and do what you want to do.

UPS is the most dishonest numbers driven company out there. I challenge any current or former UPS management person out there to dispute this.

It does have great benefits, but the price of saping every ounce of energy from you tired and worn out body, is not worth it.

My advice, take advantage of Tuition and get a degree on UPS. Then Run Like hell.

There has been 13 management persons leave in my area in the last 12 months...WHY?

I have never been happier.

Jetblue

What exactly is dishonest about UPS? I'm a current p/t supervisor at UPS in the SF Bay Area. You know what you're in for your first day on the job. Yes, management can be a heck of a lot of responsibility and stress but I have never been subject to unethical/illegal/dishonest treatment in my 7 years with the company. If you're a lousy supervisor, UPS will try to make you quit, and rightfully so; you don't belong. If you're a lousy driver/pkg handler/sorter you have nothing to worry about because you're a Teamster and UPS can't fire you. However, the general consensus is that UPS is a lousy place to work and I agree, I've been quitting that place the past 5 years, lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Unethical? How about managers and supervisors violating DOT regulations. Delivering 30 stops that was left from driver reaching 12 hrs? Can't Have the Missed pkgs. But can not put another driver on road. Manager and supervisor got to work at 6 am and finished deliveries at 930 pm. That is 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hrs if they took a lunch, I bet not. No record of timc card. Unethical?

example 2.
In Division conference calls with ops manager and He threatens their jobs and verbally abuses them. If they are not acheieveing the numbers, pull them aside and take care of it one on one. But when I get feedback from drivers and office staff that they will lose their jobs and that the ops manager will make an example of a manager next, and does.... Nice Place to work.
Example three.
Ops Mgr, Hr Mgr meeting behing closed doors and steping over Division manager to berate and chew out his managers and supervisors without him knowing?? Nice place to work. And No, this division manager have been promoted. Back door politics. Nice place to work.

Example four.
Feeders drivers will make 80k to 110k. What are you as a supervisor making? 48k-67k. Hummmmm Nice place to work.

There has been 12 more quality managers and supervisors quit. No Not the ones that you hope will quit. The ones that make ups the place to work. Damn Shame.

No, I was not a bad sup, I gave blood sweat and tears... But I challenge all of you to watch the BIG IDEA with Donnie Deutch on Cable. Cnbc. There is more to life that UPS. I can now see my kids grow up and I have a successful business.

Good Luck

Jetblue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ironwill100 in Salt Lake City, Utah

79 months ago

This is nothing. I work at the Walmart DC. 500 cases an hour? is nothing. I do 3 to 4 trucks at a time. Plus the benefits are horrible. I have done 6000 plus in a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

UPSer in Anaheim, California

72 months ago

I've been working at UPS for about a year now, and have seen it all.
It can be a very tough, stressful job, but once you get into your rhythm, the shift can go by real quick. Everyone gets yelled at, but its mostly just in fun, unless you really suck.. you just have to learn to grow some balls and deal with it. Prove to your coworkers and sups that you're a hard worker, and you'll earn their respect and things will go good for you. They hire people that are there to work and EARN their money, not stand around doing nothing.
The benefits are great, pay is good, and seniority is king there. Unlike some other jobs, you actually are working hard from the time you step into the HUB to the time you leave.
I have seen guys with less than a month's experience become supervisors and run their own belts, so moving up is very possible.
Becoming a driver, at least where I'm at, is difficult, the waiting list is long, so be prepared to work in the HUB for years..
Package Handlers and Primary Unloaders work the hardest; most loaders fill about 2 1/2-3 semi's a night.
I was a floater for a while, which meant that depending on which area needed help the most, that's where I'd be. I've worked on half the belts loading feeders (big semi's), unloading in primaries, unloading delivery trucks, picking-off, sorting, working the tower, spent some time in the offices, doing management work.
You feel good when you work at UPS- I look forward to going to work, and can look back and say, I did all that during my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Skatealone in Tracy, California

64 months ago

Company culture? Well I worked at a small hub in santa cruz that was micro managed by a full fledged psycho named Darin.(our full timer) He was the type of two faced guy who would pat you on the back and say one thing, and than do another.

Its all about numbers and supervisors get bonuses for productivity. Which means they wont hesitate to have you break your back so they get food on their table. I'm glad I never worked 100% for those guys. Because everyone stupid enough to, winds up with a shot back.

If you really have no education and are desperate I could see taking that garbage day in and day out for years,until all the drivers at the hub retire at 70 at the but me, I had a degree and much greener pastures to look forward too.

Otherwise do what I did, milk them. Bust your butt till your in the union and than work at your own pace. UPS is the type of company where they reward the lazy and the dishonest rather than the honest and hard working. I learned that quick and learned that stacking out was smarter than running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

My favorite memory I have is not going to work for like the last week, using all my benefits to get a check up teeth cleaned the whole nine yards, than calling in the next day and saying "I quit".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Skatealone in Tracy, California

64 months ago

By the way I substitute teach now and earn in a week what it took in a month at ups. I am not filthy when I come home from work, I am not sore, and I am not short tempered, and the first thing I do when I get off is relax instead of search frantically for a drink.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smileyailie in Livonia, Michigan

61 months ago

No job is worth being abused. Call the National Labor Relations Board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

rosebuddy in Denver, Colorado

56 months ago

It is the worst company my husband every worked for. He was abused, belittled, and asked if he was stupid by his boss. My husband works for a wonderful company now and has great evals and they love him. Also, physically a bad environment working and loading trucks because you are exposed to particle dust in addition to the emotional abuse from the czars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TiskTisk in Union City, New Jersey

35 months ago

I work for UPS, in the Meadowlands Hub in Secaucus, NJ. The problem UPS has, it lacks job advancement. I've been working for UPS now for 5 years. I started as a local loader, making 8.50 an hour. I was self-motivated to work in such a big company like UPS. Within 6 months, i was promoted to a Part-time supervisor. Never called out, never took days off, college student and yet, 4 1/2 years later i am still a part-time supervisor. Can't go driving because I am not in the union, Cant go FT cuz I dont kiss ass. They rather hire outside drivers then recruit from within, specially supervisors. As a supervisor, we are treated horridly. No respect from managers or supervisors above us. We are just a piece of meat to be moved from place to place to get the job done and brush us away. Thus, making us (PT Sups) treat our hourly's like trash (we really don't mean it). I used to love my job, with much pride, but now all I do is recommend my people to find a better job elsewhere. Take advantage of the tuition reim. use UPS for college AND THAT'S IT!. fairness is gone, respect is gone. Jim Casey would turn in his grave if he knew what his company has turned into. Yes, UPS makes us strong, but really? at least make us proud workers. 8.50 an hour for our hourly's, not worth it. Of course, you will see people on here saying "UPS IS GREAT!", yes of course it is you. You are probably a manager or Full-Timer who got your lucky break to move up recently or much easier back in your days. But it's sad, how you don't mention your 15 hour daily shifts. Never seeing your family, most likely divorced. I can go on for hours about UPS, but its sad how I am not even on the clock and UPS angers me. (Currently Looking for a new FULL-TIME job where I can actually support my family and not work two part-time jobs)As much as I used to love my job and really wanted to move up, now I just want to move out. No opportunities.
this job isnt worth the time. Go to college, get a career and live life. Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stormtrooper in Claveland, Ohio

31 months ago

I am a current employee at UPS. I worked as a package handler, part time supervisor, hiring specialist, and several other low level management jobs. After reading the above 51 posts I noticed that the former employees who were the most unhappy had the least best grammar and spelling.
I’ll address a few of the common gripes.
How to get a job? Upsjobs.com is the only way. 99% of people start off loading and unloading trucks. The small sort, sort isle, and irregular train driver are positions to move up to with seniority and skill. UPS promotes from within, so to be a driver or manager some day you start off in the truck.
You can go from part time supervisor to driver. If you are a white male your chances are slim. UPS can hire one person from outside the union (off the street, part time supervisor, or other) for every 6 or 7 they bring up from the part time union ranks. That is part of the Teamster and UPS contract. Because of the federal rules that govern “good faith efforts” to increase the number of female and minority drivers, UPS will choose them over white males most of the time.
Supervisors yelling. They did the same job and they did it well enough to get promoted. If you listen to them you can at least be proficient. If you listen and push yourself, you too could have lazy and ungrateful employees to yell at some day.
Injuries and UPS blaming you for them. Injuries can happen and will. UPS spends a lot of time and money to avoid them. They make the work simple as possible without replacing people with machines. Basic lifting and lowering techniques are trained along with, looking out for hazards, pinch points, sharp surfaces, and proper use of equipment. In my experience, injuries are almost always the fault of the employee not following proper methods. I was injured and taken out in an ambulance. I was walking on rollers. I was trained not to. It was my fault.
Revolving door of applicants. UPS is not looking for rocket scientist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Boxline sup in Fairfax, Virginia

30 months ago

I am a boxline supervisor. I became a supervisor in under a year because I worked hard and provided evidence of intelligence. Within six months of starting, I was loading five package cars because I had shown I could do it. It's true what people are saying on here about how you can sit back and collect a paycheck, but the folks who do that are the miserable ones. If you owned your own company and hired someone who only did half of what was expected of them, how would you feel of that employee? Would you raise their pay regularly? Would you guarantee a certain number of hours for them every week? Would you pay for full benefits for them? UPS does these things for people who don't pull their weight, and you expect them to be happy about it?

On topic of injuries, My box line has three people who have been loading package cars for more than 15 years each. All three of them are injury free. They follow the methods, work as assigned and pull their weight. I have more "fresh" employees who can't keep up with people who are over 40.

I'm not about to claim that UPS is perfect. There are certainly some issues that could be addressed. My biggest issue is the complete lack of strengths based management and general positive leadership. Everyone in management truly is under pressure, lots of it. But when they attempt to work with hourlies, they are often taken advantage of, so over time they stop. I've had a hard time not becoming that way myself, but I want to do the right thing for the company, myself, and certainly my employees. I judge myself on how I treat those under me, and I always aim to do the right thing. Trouble is, I expect them to do it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

D Jizay in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

First off UPS upper management and unions are a bunch of crooks. You mean to tell me that one of the strongest unions in the country couldn't negotiate better than $8.50 to start out for employees? Oh, but it gets worse when you move to part time management . You will be stuck in limbo for years. I have been with the company for 4 years, held every job from unload, load, small sort and loops as either an hourly or a supervisor and I am nowhere near being promoted. I also have a Bachelor's degree and some of my bosses barely graduated high school! Get the money for school and get out, pronto.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wj267 in Fargo, North Dakota

24 months ago

Oh and about injuries-- I've been working for only a month and a half, and I've already:

Made a five-inch long cut on my shin
Scraped my finger bad enough to need a bandage around it for 3 days (I hate that metal grating on the sides of the trailers)
Got a small cut on my forehead from a package falling.

Thing is, these were all from me being careless and not paying attention, so I don't really care. The most danger comes from unload (sometimes people load trailers in the stupidest ways, with a heavy box of nails on top of a bag at the top of the tier, for example) and from improper lifting in positions like medals (where you sort the heavy, irregular items that are too dangerous for the conveyor belt).

I can't think of any major hazards that are in the hub itself. It's pretty easy to stay injury free if you're careful, and you don't do stupid stuff like I did, such as dropping a wooden pallet on your leg.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ohbetboom in Surprise, Arizona

24 months ago

So, I applied online for a UPS part time package handler job. I have a tour appointment next week. I'm super stoked that I finally got a chance to actually apply because most of the time the positions are already gone. Also, my grandpa retired through UPS, and he's always told me nothing but good reasons to work there. What are my chances of getting employed? I really want the job because I've read and heard from my friend that also works there, that it's overall a great job to have. Is the job a permanent position? What should I do to get employed? What answers are they looking for? I would just like some advice? What should I wear to the tour? What should I say? Should I mention my grandpa and my friend? Also, I want to go to college so the hours would be great, also looking at trying to become full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mel in Kansas City, Kansas

23 months ago

Toadstump in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida said: I worked as a Temp seasonal drivers helper in Vermont.
10 hour days....running about 1/2 acre through 12"of snow cuz the driveway
was impassable....Wow. Serious work. If you arent in shape, dont even
waste time applying. It was all I could do to crawl up the steps and into
my house at he end of the day. They did have cool overtime for us though,
at the end of 8 hours, you started getting OT, meaning if you worked 18
hours in two days, already you have 2 hours time-and-a-half.
My driver was really cool, we had a great time despite the work load. I have
new respect for those guys....thier managers yell at them and threaten them all
day long while piling on more, and more, and more work !!!! YIKES.
A lot of people dropped out evry week but if you made it to the end you get
a Gas Card for 50.00 and you and your driver get a check for 150.00

i'm trying to get that position..i'm in kansas city ..do you have any advice on how i could be sure i get it?..i already went threw the tour and decided the package handler job isnt for me..but i'm very interested in this tempoary driver helper one..any advice would be greatly appreciated..:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Salina in Collaroy, Australia

23 months ago

Hi I got accident at my work place n I'm causal staff but I'm working full time from 3 month. Because of accident I couldn't go for 2 days.did the company needs to pay me or not .plzzzz answer me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Eatontown, New Jersey

18 months ago

I've worked at UPS for 3 years now. I'm currently 22 years old. Started as a loader at $8.50 an hour. When they realized I was loading 500 packages an hour and not getting missorts, they gave me a dollar raise and moved me up to the sort isle. I will say as a part-time loader, that the union really bothered me, as the only people they protect are the ones that show up 3 times out of the week, and the ones that are next to me loading slowly and letting me do all the work. After awhile it gets quite annoying. Soon after working in the sort isle, I became a PT supervisor because the pay was better and the hours were not much longer, only about an extra hour per night. As a supervisor, I never yell at my employees. If I see your doing your best, than you get my respect, and if you can't cut it than so be it. I will admit that many of the new-hires that come in do so with an attitude that the company will promote them quickly, only to realize that they have to bust ass in order to get noticed. However, I will admit, that I tell my workers that even though I became a supervisor, if I can go back in time I would've stayed as an hourly and eventually tried to become a driver. If you have a bachelors degree, then go for management positions, if not, stay as an hourly and try to work up to a driver. Generalizing supervisors is a mistake, not all of us are bad. It really has to do with personality. Where I work, our management and our part-timers get along really well and makes the workday pleasant, albeit getting a couple thousand boxes shoved down your throat can be unpleasant, lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.