Just got an scheduled interview with UPS for Package Deliver Driver

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

CatWmn in Shelton, Connecticut

37 months ago

My husband went for a TT driver position (the posting specifically said they were hiring TT drivers with class A). This was not an internal UPS posting, but a public one. He has over 25 years experience with other cos. safety award, etc. He was looking for seasonal to get his foot in the door and willing to take the chance. HR said there were no TT position available to outsiders. They would start him scanning packages...what a waste. You would think they would have been honest up front instead of wasting his time, day off, etc.

However, he did then apply at another (non CT) location and they were actually looking ot hire experienced drivers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UPS Employee in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

36 months ago

If you are starting the job from the street as we say. Just coming in to drive for seasonal, HR usually ships you off to school right away. Well that's what happens around here. No matter where the driving school is, if you live far away UPS will give you a hotel (Very nice hotel) to stay at for a week. There's a lot of work that goes in it.

It's been a long time since I've took that tour. I believe that you take the tour when everyone's working twilight. I don't know it is for season drivers though. I think like I said HR just ships you to school.

It's harder when your just off the street learning our ways. My suggestion for all your newbies out there get into the just early. Work the hubs. It might be hard at first, there's a lot of work to but into it. Take it from experience. I've been at UPS for 7 years I love the place, more like a love hate relationship haha. But it all comes with its benefits. I think your best bet would be to work the hub for a 2 - 3 years then put your name on the driver list. They will call you when they are ready for you. Lot of paper work goes into it. lot of time. Then when your a driver for a year get your name on the feeder list. THAT'S WHERE THE MONEY IS!

- Know how to drive stick (Manual transmission for all you old school guys/girls out there :-P).
- Need to know (5 key seeing habits (Word for word) 10 keys of commentary (Just bold))
- You have to have a Class C Permit or drivers license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Damien Albino in Hoboken, New Jersey

5 months ago

Congratulations of your first step in the hiring process. I say first step because you'll be put through a series of them until you actually get hired. Before I dive into answering your question, let me introduce myself. My name is Damien Albino and I'm a package car driver out of the Jersey City center in Secaucus NJ. I'm also on the safety committee at UPS. What we do in the safety committee is guide the new hires in all of the methods and procedures needed to become a UPS driver and have a safe and successful career. I am not a manager and have no interest in becoming one. My goal is to help that special guy/gal to land this rewarding and high paying job because I remember what it was like when I first started.

You already have an interview which means you knew how to apply for the job. That's awesome! you'd be surprised how many people don't know that very first step.

The following is the general order in which the hiring process goes in. I say general because every building is a little different.

1. Interview - you'll be given an interview along with other candidates for the job. Tip: arrive one hour before your schedule time. This shows you want the job and you're dependable.

2. Driving Test - Like the UPS driver from Buffalo recommended, Manuel transmission knowledge is a must. The company just wants to see how well you operate the vehicle. Tip: if your rusty with a manual transmission I'd highly recommend that you brush-up on it before the first driving test. Rent a truck for a few hours if necessary.

3. D.O.T Physical - This is a driving job so it's important that your in good health while operating the vehicle.

4. UPS School - You'll be sent to school for one whole week. During that week you'll learn all of the safety methods that every UPS driver uses on a daily bases. Tip: take the class series and STUDY your butt off. If you fail the written and oral test at the end of the week you'll not move on to the final step.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Damien Albino in Hoboken, New Jersey

5 months ago

5. 30 day boot camp - I say 30 day boot camp because after you complete the requirements for UPS school and pass you'll be put through your first 30 days as a driver. Within those 30 days you're going to have to prove yourself. What that means is your going to have to apply all of the safety method you learn in school plus scratch your route. Scratching a route simply means to finish the route you're given in a certain amount of time. Tip: ask the drivers in your center (the building you'll be working in) for help. Most senior drivers are willing to help the new guy. The main question you want to ask is, "Is the EDD for this route routed correctly?".

If you're interested in learning more please buy my book. It's on Amazon.com. The title is "How To Be A UPS Driver: Discover how you can become a UPS driver and earn $100,000 a year

I go in depth with all the steps in the hiring process as well as:

- Giving you the study material for UPS school you that you get a head start
- DIAD training ( basic training techniques of the computer every UPS driver has)
- How to fill out an Info Notice ( the notices we put on a door if no one is home)
- How to find packages in the truck
- How to pass your driving tests, plus much much more!!!

Damien Albino

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.