USAA - anyone denied disability?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

13 years down the drain in Suffolk, Virginia

63 months ago

I was advised by my physicians to stop working in the fall of 2007. I did so, anticipating being out on short term disability followed by long term disability. My FMLA ran out before they'd made a decision on my disability. I had to take a loan against my SIP, just to get by.

Once FMLA ran out, I was contacted by a manager to question when I would be returning to work, but I advised I had no return date as my doctor was putting me through the paces, trying to ascertain what diagnosis would be found. (I didn't have a diagnosis at first, only situations which made it dangerous for me to drive to work, impossible to talk on the phone for long or frequent conversations, etc.

I appealed the denial, which was also denied. Then I appealed to the plan administrator who, after a year of reviews to reach that point, granted me 4 weeks (3 paid) of disability because of a surgery that I'd had within 6 weeks of going out. Everything else was denied.

The best feedback I received came to me with the final denial: instead of saying she was trying to determine what was causing me to have so many problems and that she didn't feel it was safe for me to attempt to work until it was determined, the nurse practitioner I was seeing said I was going to have too many follow up medical appointments and that I was on too many medications to be a productive employee. Great to know, right? Wrong. At the time I was told that, I had no appeals left.

Even though they knew something was going on with me that prevented me from working, I was denied my disability benefit because of how the practioner chose to word the documentation.

Do you know of anyone else with a similar situation? I would love to hear about it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas

63 months ago

Wow, I am so sorry to hear all of that is going on in your life! It is sad how people are really treated....people that have given their lives to this place. I haven't had the exact same situation per se, but I know in my heart from experience and others that have disabilities that we are not wanted. They will try and crush your self-worth so much and make your life so miserable that you will want to leave. Once you leave, they win.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 years down the drain in Suffolk, Virginia

63 months ago

Thanks!

After I was out of FMLA, my manager fired me. I wound up having to convert my SIP loan into a withdrawal, then the same with my pension. I was certain I'd be approved on the appeal, after all, I had my nurse practitioner, my endocrinologist, my hematologist and a geneticist all agreeing that I needed to stop working. It was denied in August of last year, and by that time, my SIP and penion had run out (you don't get much of it anyway when you take it prior to 59 1/2.) We had my husband's income, but it was only half of what we'd been getting when I was working, and we had the bills that reflected that level of lifestyle, not one of less than half! We've lost our boat, our house, our credit and our good name and I've lost my retirement and life insurance. My health is such that I can't possibly qualify for life insurance from anyone, even if we could afford it, which we can't. I have an 11 year old son. If anything happens to me, I can't begin to know what it will do to my husband's ability to care for our son, knowing we don't even have the ability to bury me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Why? in Colorado Springs, Colorado

12 months ago

I was also fired after my short term disability ran out and I could not provide a return to work date. I didn't know you could appeal. I was told after I was fired that my short term disability was denied because I could not submit proof of a disability. Even though I submitted proof from my pain doctor, primary doctor, and rheumatologist. My doctor and I even filled out a paper stating what I could and could not do when working. I have two teens and a disabled husband. I am disabled and due to the severity of my disability I cannot work. We are living off of my husband's SSDI. I am still trying to get SSDI. We cannot pay our bills or food without help from family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Why? in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I was also fired after my short term disability ran out and I could not provide a return to work date. I didn't know you could appeal. I was told after I was fired that my short term disability was denied because I could not submit proof of a disability. Even though I submitted proof from my pain doctor, primary doctor, and rheumatologist. My doctor and I even filled out a paper stating what I could and could not do when working. I have two teens and a disabled husband. I am disabled and due to the severity of my disability I cannot work. We are living off of my husband's SSDI. I am still trying to get SSDI. We cannot pay our bills or food without help from family.

Get $100 together and get a 30 minute consult with a disability attorney. My brother-in-law went through the same thing and eventually paid an attorney to do the appeal. It did cost him a couple of thousand so its a bit of a racket.

The problem is that too many people now are trying to get on disability, even when they are not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.