What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 4991)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at USAA?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at USAA?

Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in San Antonio, Texas

94 months ago

Want to succeed at USAA? Be prepared to be a "yes" man or woman...(*name removed)(CEO) manages by fear and intimidation and has even stooped so low as to call his employees "spoiled brats" when USAA fell off the Fortune "Best Companies" list. Employees have most recently been warned to not reply to emails from outside the company or possibly be terminated. Oh, and make sure that you don't want in the hallway outside the CEO's office...that's a BIG no no! In short...it's a keep your nose to the grindstone, do what your told, don't ask questions and by all means don't question authority environment. Wonder why more than 1,000 people left the company this year...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (210) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Still an employee in Hampton, Virginia

93 months ago

The 1st comment is correct. I can stll feel the marks on my back from the whipping.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ex phoenix employee in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

USAA is a sweatshop. You will be overworked. Hardly anyone applies to job postings and they are always understaffed (i.e. leaving you with more work).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Former employee, Sacramento, Ca in San Jose, California

93 months ago

I worked for 5 years in the Western Region Office. Everything you said is true and you could say so much more. (*name removed) and his team have total disdain for their own employees which is really sad considering that, at least in my experience, they are the best bunch of people, including the managers, I have ever worked with. In the current environment, unless you are coming in at a very high executive level or a very specialized position, I would think more than twice about going to work for USAA.

Former Employee said: Want to succeed at USAA? Be prepared to be a "yes" man or woman...(*name removed)(CEO) manages by fear and intimidation and has even stooped so low as to call his employees "spoiled brats" when USAA fell off the Fortune "Best Companies" list. Employees have most recently been warned to not reply to emails from outside the company or possibly be terminated. Oh, and make sure that you don't want in the hallway outside the CEO's office...that's a BIG no no! In short...it's a keep your nose to the grindstone, do what your told, don't ask questions and by all means don't question authority environment. Wonder why more than 1,000 people left the company this year...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Prospective employee in Bloomington, Illinois

93 months ago

Is all this true? I'm thinking of taking a job in San Antonio. Are some job area better than others? Aren't the benefits worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

friend of USAA employee, San Antonio in Bone Gap, Illinois

93 months ago

I have a friend who has retired early from USAA in San Antonio. She loved her job and her manager asked her to stay but she said the stress and overtime were not worth it. She even said that she would forego the bonuses and other perks if she could be treated better. She said that most areas are understaffed and people are getting increasingly stressed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

10 year veteran of USAA/separated in San Antonio, Texas

93 months ago

I worked for USAA Federal Savings Bank for 10 years. I resigned the middle part of 2006. In January 2006, the Bank hired a vice president from another lending institution who is unethical, unprofessional and has a total lack of regard for the people who report to her. There have been many complaints to HR about her work ethic, and they choose to do nothing about it. When she started at USAA, she took about two weeks to decide what person would be fired and who would be her "shopping buddy". It made no difference if your year end reviews were in an "exceeds excellance" status, if she didn't like your looks, you would be singled out and harassed until you either quit or she fired you. There is a common denominator in the people she selects to harass - any woman over 40. They're competition for her.

When she came to San Antonio, she decided she was lonely and proceeded to hire her boyfriend from her previous job. He was hired as a Director and the only thing he has exceeded in is going to fetch her her morning coffee... Highly unethical. She also shared with a manager in our department that she had been disciplined in a previous job for sexual harassment.

This is the type of executive management that USAA has chosen to hire. And, as a result, has lost hundreds of good, ethical, hardworking people. Please think twice about going to work for this company. It was once the best company to work for, but now, I wouldn't wish USAA on my worst enemy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

The advantages of working at USAA: 1) business casual and in fact most of the calendar year you can wear jeans.

The disadvantages of working for USAA: 1) departments are never fully staffed causing a great deal of stress and more work than any one person should handle, 2) you will likely never know where you stand and stress over whether or not you will be fired or put on a 'step program' (disciplinary action) for missing something trival without any acknowledgement of the overtaxing workload, 3) no matter how well you or your department does the CEO will never be happy with the results and will set unrealistic expectations and constantly tell each and every employee how they are not doing good enough, that USAA is too far behind.

I could continue however I would highly recommend anyone think twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Spring, Texas

93 months ago

Wow. Thanks for all the comments. A real eye-opener. I am to interview for an investment related position there that pays less than my minimum and was going to consider USAA anyway based on their "great company" status.

I'll be keeping these scathing comments in the back of my mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Matt said: Wow. Thanks for all the comments. A real eye-opener. I am to interview for an investment related position there that pays less than my minimum and was going to consider USAA anyway based on their "great company" status.
I'll be keeping these scathing comments in the back of my mind.

Hello, Matt!

It sounds like you have an interview with IMCO, which is the financial management leg of USAA. My suggestion is to go into the interview with an open mind. I am the person who worked at USAA FSB for 10+ years, and I have many family members who work at IMCO. Some are happy, some are not, as with all employees. You may find that the company fits for you, but I ask that you read all the comments on this site and pick out the common threads in each message. This is really the true picture. Mostly, overwork, lack of assistance and worry that you are just one step away from being fired are very accurate. But also remember that Texas is an "at will State", whereas an employer does not have to give you a reason for dismissal, and USAA is famous for this.

If it were me, I would see what they have to say, and if it sounds like something you would be interested in, then go for it. At least you will know for yourself. I will be interested in knowing how it goes.

Best of luck...
MSP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Like Matt, I too, appreciate reading what everyone has offered. Is the common theme of discontent present in all lines of business (Bank, P&C, IMCO, etc.)? If yes, is it because the company is growing quickly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Hello,

The company has been in business since 1922. I don't think fast growth is the problem. I think what's actually happened, and it's taken me a while to actually realize this, is that in the beginning, the members (customers), together with the CEO and its Board of Directors and employees were responsible for business development. If I'm not mistaken, the recent Board was selected by the current CEO, and the members and employees have no voice. Therefore, the "checks and balances" have been removed. Please don't misunderstand, it is heartbreaking to me that this once great company has started to move in such a different direction than what the founders envisioned. When I started at USAA, it was a source of great pride to say I worked there. Before I quit, I had gotten to the point of not disclosing where I worked because it would, without fail, generate a reaction of opinion of why the company was no longer what it once was. Furthermore, it was against policy to discuss this with anyone. It's just such a different atmosphere there now. The employees are no longer a commodity, they are now just the "hired help". It's now all about Executive Management and the "bottom line", not the members. Just my opinion...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

10 year veteran of USAA/separated said: Hello,
The company has been in business since 1922. I don't think fast growth is the problem. I think what's actually happened, and it's taken me a while to actually realize this, is that in the beginning, the members (customers), together with the CEO and its Board of Directors and employees were responsible for business development. If I'm not mistaken, the recent Board was selected by the current CEO, and the members and employees have no voice. Therefore, the "checks and balances" have been removed. Please don't misunderstand, it is heartbreaking to me that this once great company has started to move in such a different direction than what the founders envisioned. When I started at USAA, it was a source of great pride to say I worked there. Before I quit, I had gotten to the point of not disclosing where I worked because it would, without fail, generate a reaction of opinion of why the company was no longer what it once was. Furthermore, it was against policy to discuss this with anyone. It's just such a different atmosphere there now. The employees are no longer a commodity, they are now just the "hired help". It's now all about Executive Management and the "bottom line", not the members. Just my opinion...

I have to support what is said here. At one time USAA was a great place to work and I was proud to say I worked for USAA (prior to it's phoenix office opening). The upper management is focusing all of their efforts on building the company financially and have really little emphasis on their employees and what affects all of their actions have on the people who do the work and truly make the company successfull or unsuccessful. Unfortunately as employees are no longer really valued in the equation, USAA has become a revolving door and attrition rates have sky rocketed. In fact rumor has it that qualified people do not even apply at USAA due to the reputation they have developed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Your comments are very well written. About two months ago USAA had a job fair on its campus, on a Saturday. It's almost unheard of for them to have done this, especially on a Saturday. One of my good friends was representing a particular department from the company. They told me that people started lining up at 6:00 a.m. that day and the doors opened at 9:00 a.m. Some people stayed in line for hours and not even a drop of water was offered to them. It was very disorganized and many people had to walk away without the opportunity to apply or present their resumes. There were some people who were so turned off by the whole experience that they mentioned it to the recruiters. Of course, those, no matter how qualified, were not called back. Another example of USAA shooting themselves in the foot. As it turns out, I have a friend who did make it into the interview. He was offered a salary that was so low that he was insulted. He had been a manager for a huge lending company in another State.
And, even though he knew that San Antonio has a lower payscale than many cities, he was just stunned with how little money they offered. Since he was already making twice that much for a competitor in San Antonio, he declined the job offer. When he asked me what I thought, I told him it did not surprise me. The same position, ten years ago would have paid about $10,000 more a year. I knew this because I had started in that same position.
As a result of this job fair, I understand that they hired 100 people for a particular department and none of them had any experience in the field. Therefore, they were in training for six weeks and half could not pass the tests or did not embrace the corporate culture (so to speak). They were fired. This tells me that at the job fair, the candidates were not vetted and were ill-placed in job positions. I'm not an expert in human resources, but common sense tells me that USAA just hired "warm bodies". Your point is well taken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lm in Midlothian, Virginia

93 months ago

IS THE OFFICE IN NORFOLK VA CLOSING?

There has been a "rumor" about this for for about 7 years. I know they sold the bldg & then started leasing it about 3 years ago.

They "cleaned house" last year. Now they are doing a massive hiring ad campaign looking for people. I also heard that they transferred several states claims to other offices. So they only handle VA & NC. I heard they transferred the Subrogation claims to AZ.

I heard the Norfolk office is understaffed & overworked.
I was also told the only thing that is going to make it bearable as if you got lucky enough to have a good supervisor.

What is the real deal on this?
I was called for an interview last year but declined because of all the bad things I had heard.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

10 year veteran of USAA/separated said:

Unfortunately, I personally don't know what they are doing with Norfolk. That's a P&C operation and I did not have info as to what their plans were. I had also heard that Norfolk was closing, but I know they have done things like this before; laid off people and then started a hiring blitz. That happens in San Antonio all the time in various lines of business.

I heard of more firings today. They were middle management layoffs and some people were just a couple of months away from retirement.

It looks like what they are doing in San Antonio is they are getting rid of anyone over 40, who have been with the company over 10 years, and who were making more than $40K per year. That's the only thing any of these people had in common. We used to call it the 40-10-40 syndrome. HA.

Oh well, I hope things turn around over there. In the meantime, I'm happy I resigned when I did. It was starting to affect me physically. Many ex USAA employees I know have said they too were experiencing chronic physical problems. When they exited the company (either quit or were fired), their physical problems cleared up. That's what stress will do to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lm in Midlothian, Virginia

93 months ago

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Houston, Texas

93 months ago

Yikes. I'm almost sorry I found this site! My daughter was recruited at a college job fair & interviewed a few months ago. They pretty much called her the next day and offered her an IT job. She's a communications major, so was concerned that this job really wasn't what she was looking for & has virtually no IT experience. In speaking with the people who interviewed her & with the benefits & salary, she decided to go ahead and accept the job. She doesn't graduate until May & has told them she'll start in July (in San Antonio).

I'm not sure that I want to share this info with her, as she's nervous enough about it.
Now I wonder if I should counsel her to look around and see what else is out there. Sure would like to hear someone say something even vaguely positive!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

None in Greensboro, North Carolina

93 months ago

lm said: IS THE OFFICE IN NORFOLK VA CLOSING?
There has been a "rumor" about this for for about 7 years. I know they sold the bldg & then started leasing it about 3 years ago.
They "cleaned house" last year. Now they are doing a massive hiring ad campaign looking for people. I also heard that they transferred several states claims to other offices. So they only handle VA & NC. I heard they transferred the Subrogation claims to AZ.
I heard the Norfolk office is understaffed & overworked.
I was also told the only thing that is going to make it bearable as if you got lucky enough to have a good supervisor.
What is the real deal on this?
I was called for an interview last year but declined because of all the bad things I had heard.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

None in Greensboro, North Carolina

93 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at USAA?
Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?
What is a typical day in the life of an employee at USAA?

I am a former employee from the Norfolk and Phoenix locations. I quit 6 mths ago and could not be happier. I had worked at USAA for 3yrs total. My problem with USAA was manangement. My manager in VA did nothing all day but talk on the phone with her children or with other people either on the phone or in person, which left her no time to approve the pending claims settlements.

It is very hard to move to different positions within USAA unless you know someone who is willing to help you. In the VA office 8+ people quit within one month and they did not hire anyone new they just transferred the files to the remaining adjusters, it was very frustating.

In the last year or so management has added an additional duty to your job performance which is referring members to various depts which is crazy when you are dealing with claims. I am glad I am out of there and feel sorry for the people who are not able to leave due to the job availability in the Hampton Road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Ellie said: Yikes. I'm almost sorry I found this site! My daughter was recruited at a college job fair & interviewed a few months ago. They pretty much called her the next day and offered her an IT job. She's a communications major, so was concerned that this job really wasn't what she was looking for & has virtually no IT experience. In speaking with the people who interviewed her & with the benefits & salary, she decided to go ahead and accept the job. She doesn't graduate until May & has told them she'll start in July (in San Antonio).
I'm not sure that I want to share this info with her, as she's nervous enough about it.
Now I wonder if I should counsel her to look around and see what else is out there. Sure would like to hear someone say something even vaguely positive!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Ellie said: Yikes. I'm almost sorry I found this site! My daughter was recruited at a college job fair & interviewed a few months ago. They pretty much called her the next day and offered her an IT job. She's a communications major, so was concerned that this job really wasn't what she was looking for & has virtually no IT experience. In speaking with the people who interviewed her & with the benefits & salary, she decided to go ahead and accept the job. She doesn't graduate until May & has told them she'll start in July (in San Antonio).

I wanted to reply to this Mom who wrote concerned for her daughter. It sounds like you have a daughter around the same age as my son, so I can understand your concern. I am sort of faced with the same concern for my son as he is expecting to move to California when he graduates. I told him that if he moves to California, and it doesn't work out, he's still young enough to get back "on the horse again" and try something else. I think you should let her see what USAA is like. My experience with USAA was a good one up until January 2006. That's when everything started to change. As I said in my initial posting, the new VP was the one that changed the atmosphere and the moral, and just recently I heard that the Bank is even in worse shape than when I left. Your daughter may get a very very good supervisor that will mentor her and allow her to receive very important experiences that she will take with her throughout her life. A new job is always a "crap shoot". I think with your support and guidance, no matter what happens at USAA, she will be ok. You're a supportive Mom!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

None said:
I am a former employee from the Norfolk and Phoenix locations. I quit 6 mths ago and could not be happier. I had worked at USAA for 3yrs total. My problem with USAA was manangement. My manager in VA did nothing all day but talk on the phone with her children or with other people either on the phone or in person, which left her no time to approve the pending claims settlements.
It is very hard to move to different positions within USAA unless you know someone who is willing to help you. In the VA office 8+ people quit within one month and they did not hire anyone new they just transferred the files to the remaining adjusters, it was very frustating.
In the last year or so management has added an additional duty to your job performance which is referring members to various depts which is crazy when you are dealing with claims. I am glad I am out of there and feel sorry for the people who are not able to leave due to the job availability in the Hampton Road.

This is a very familiar story in San Antonio also. It breaks my heart that you had a bad experience in both VA and PHX. As I read these replies, I am just stunned that so many have had very similar experiences. I am close with both my ex boss and the lady who hired me at USAA over 10 years ago. They were both fired after I left, and we have formed a small "support group" to talk about our feelings and to get each other through the rough times and adjustment. Even though I resigned, I still experienced separation anxiety, as USAA was my home away from home for so long. But not one day goes by that I thank my stars that I left. I am happier and healthier for it. I may not make the same money as I did at USAA, but I do not have the stress I had before. I work for another large bank now, and even though it is a national corporation, they seem to treat the employees with much more dignity than USAA.They have other problems that I see are minor compared to what I went through at USAA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Concerned parent - keep in mind the perspective here. This site is more for those seeking employment, not necessarily a site the happily-employed would visit or contribute to. In no way do I question the integrity or opinions of those who've written so far - I appreciate reading them very much. It just needs a reminder to keep the perspective that it will likely be a one-sided picture you'll see here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Houston, Texas

93 months ago

Thanks so much for your responses. My husband pretty much had the same response, as he works for a major oil company & mentioned that there are plenty of employees who have negative things to say about that company. If nothing else, it will be a good place for her to get some experience. You're right a new job is always a "crap shoot" and one does always have to start somewhere. Thanks again for your positive comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

employee in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

Prospective employee said: Concerned parent - keep in mind the perspective here. This site is more for those seeking employment, not necessarily a site the happily-employed would visit or contribute to. In no way do I question the integrity or opinions of those who've written so far - I appreciate reading them very much. It just needs a reminder to keep the perspective that it will likely be a one-sided picture you'll see here.

You are right people would be on this website to look for other opportunities and it is easy to say that any job website which allows postings from anyone (including prior employees) would be biased. I however do not think you could ever stand or comprehend a company you never have worked for, and that is what people who are or have worked for USAA are trying to convey. Look at the common variables expressed in all of the messages/replies and I do not think it is a coincidence or just a group of digruntled ex-employees. Also when qualified people within the industry, your peers, are weary to even apply as they know of the companies bad reputation that is for a reason. This is simply an area to voice your opinion. Anyone who has not worked for USAA can certainly give it a try and I wish them the best. If I were a gambling person I would bet that they will experience the same things (overworked, underappreciated, undervalued, etc). Now how well they can cope is a different story

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IT in Chicago, Illinois

93 months ago

I want to know more about the IT department in San Antonio. How is that atmosphere like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

To the prospective employee, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. This is what this forum is for. Many opinions may be from disgruntled employees, but I for one do not view myself as disgruntled. Because it was my career for so many years, I still truly love the people there, and if USAA can get back on the right track in considering the employees as a commodity or asset (as I wrote in a previous message), then I believe this company could be one of the top employers in the country once again. I am eligible for rehire, and if I felt things were going to turn around, I would be happy to return and work hard to help make the company whole again. But, at this point, I have doubt that this will happen. In the meantime, I have moved on to other ventures, and while I do not make the same salary, I am happier. I now see that it is possible for a large company to treat employees like human beings. I have a good position at my new company. It's going to be interesting to see if USAA can recoup the loss of so many wonderful, loyal employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Since I have not worked in the IT area of USAA, I cannot give you a full account of the atmosphere. I do know that when there are layoffs, IT is hit first. While I was there, USAA hired thousands of IT people who came from India. Some are contractors, some converted to permanent positions. They are paid about one half the salary that their American counterparts were making. Many American IT employees were laid off to make way for the people from India. Although the Indian employees are good at what they do, there is a severe language issue. For myself, if I had to call IT because of system problems, one of these employees would show up at my desk, and I could never understand what they said to me. It was stressful, but as long as my system was repaired, I could not complain. USAA has really taken to outsourcing the IT area, so I am surprised that American citizens are being considered for jobs. I think they are willing to hire American citizens who are not experienced in IT so that they can keep a positive bottom line. None of the East Indian employees are in management positions so I assume USAA will hire American citizens for managing the IT units.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

I am so sorry about what happened to you at USAA. Please know that your treatment is very common at USAA no matter what department you are in. I know it's tough right now because they questioned your integrity and it's insulting. You know that you are not the one to blame for this. I would advise that you write a letter to the company explaining your issue, and be sure that everyone, including the CEO is copied on it. If you have any evidence to help your cause, provide it. As I have suggested to others who were treated the same way, the letter will not only serve as documentation, but it will be helpful to you to put it all behind you. Good luck to you with any new endeavors, and try to look at it as a possible blessing in disguise. I know many people who after a while found another company that treated them so much better that they are now thankful they were forced to leave USAA. Better things were in store for them. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

interest in Winfield, Illinois

93 months ago

WOW! I always thought that USAA held high standards and respect to its employees since they are serving the military people. What happened! Certain people in San Antonio that I spoke about USAA mentioned that it's a very hard place to get employed by but by the looks of mostly everyones opinion, its not! please reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curious In San Antonio in Schertz, Texas

93 months ago

My wife is being offerd a job as a Mortgage Processer by USAA. What would this be like? We keep hearing bad things about the company. What kind of salary would this pay, we are under the impression 35k, this doesn't seem like a lot to us. We are new to the area. Has anyone heard of OSO Promotions, they wanted to interview my wife, but I tried researching the company, cant find anything. I think it may be a fraudulant company, they actually have three names they are going by, Skyline Promotionz and a Wholesale Warehouse. My wife turned down the interview. Any info would be great. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mike from UTSA in San Antonio, Texas

93 months ago

I am a senior at UT San Antonio and will be graduating in Dec 07 with a degree in Finance. Is there any positions that someone could suggest that i can possibly get started with in the company. I am looking to go towords a financial advisor. What is the current pay range in this area for a rookie? Do they offer internships? Any other info for a soon to be college grad would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

interest said: WOW! I always thought that USAA held high standards and respect to its employees since they are serving the military people. What happened! Certain people in San Antonio that I spoke about USAA mentioned that it's a very hard place to get employed by but by the looks of mostly everyones opinion, its not! please reply!
As of this moment, USAA is attempting to hire to replace the hundreds that they have lost. I know of several people who have interviewed or have received offers. All of them told me they were not impressed with the interview or the job offer. USAA reputation has been hurt badly because of the poor management. But, heads are rolling as we speak, so hopefully, the company can get on the right track again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Curious In San Antonio said: My wife is being offerd a job as a Mortgage Processer by USAA. What would this be like? We keep hearing bad things about the company. What kind of salary would this pay, we are under the impression 35k, this doesn't seem like a lot to us. We are new to the area. Has anyone heard of OSO Promotions, they wanted to interview my wife, but I tried researching the company, cant find anything. I think it may be a fraudulant company, they actually have three names they are going by, Skyline Promotionz and a Wholesale Warehouse. My wife turned down the interview. Any info would be great. Thanks.

I have not heard of the Skyline company. Right now, Mortgage processing is going through a very trying time. They need good people, but the problem is that good people will not stay around long enough to make a difference. The company atmosphere is not about inspiring people like it used to be. Now, the employees are being threatened into performing. This is not a motivating in my book. Gone are the times when you were empowered and inspired by the Executive team. You wanted to do your best and you were rewarded for it tremendously. Unfortunately, not anymore. I sure hope they regain their old corporate culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

I have a nephew who is in the Finance area of USAA and he has his finance degree from UTSA. You must start out in a call center environment if you have no other experience other than a degree. I know it does not pay a lot, possibly in the $32,000 to $35,000 range. As long as you do your job and don't get involved in office politics, you should be fine. They are hiring right now and I know they are having another job fair very soon. Hopefully, the atmosphere is going to change for the better. I wish you luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mike from UTSA in San Antonio, Texas

93 months ago

when you say experience do you mean like in that exact field or just sales in general. i currently work at bank of america as a teller but i feel its time for a change. when are these fairs and what is the application process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan WIlliams in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

Does anyone have a local phone number for Human Resources at the Phoenix location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

USAA concerns in Winfield, Illinois

93 months ago

I understand that USAA has gone through great changes but how different is it than working for a government agency or private companies? I have worked for several companies as a consultant and to me, they all have their political of doing things. Please respond!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

USAA concerns in Winfield, Illinois

92 months ago

I have another question? As an employee of USAA, do you get the same benefits (auto/life insurance and banking) as military families do? I understand that this company is the only insurance company that provides coverage for the military, State farm and Allstate do not.

I here that they have great benefits!
Please respond! Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EX-San Antonio Employee in Bryan, Texas

92 months ago

The majority of jobs at USAA require you to work in their call center. DO NOT ACCEPT A JOB AT USAA WORKING ON THE PHONE. That is the best advice I can give. If you are offered a professional position that does not require you to be connected to a headset it may be worth looking into. If you do not have the experience for a particular professional position you like then get the experience somewhere else and then apply. Working in the call center is a dead end job and provides nearly zero opportunity to advance. Do not go in with the, I’ll just get my foot in the door mentality. You will be in the same position three years down the road with little hope of moving up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Arlington Heights, Illinois

92 months ago

Susan WIlliams said: Does anyone have a local phone number for Human Resources at the Phoenix location?

Try looking on www.linkedin.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

mike from UTSA said: when you say experience do you mean like in that exact field or just sales in general. i currently work at bank of america as a teller but i feel its time for a change. when are these fairs and what is the application process.

The fact you have worked for a bank, any bank, would place you in the top running for a spot at USAA. I know of someone who was just hired on and they have no banking experience. They were hired for the mortgage processing area. At this point, USAA will hire people with no experience. When I was hired, USAA would not even call you for an interview unless you had at least 2 years mortgage experience. Not anymore. It's too difficult to find new hires who are experienced now. All the experienced people know of the USAA culture now and do not want to place themselves in that type of environment I would imagine. But good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

USAA concerns said: I have another question? As an employee of USAA, do you get the same benefits (auto/life insurance and banking) as military families do? I understand that this company is the only insurance company that provides coverage for the military, State farm and Allstate do not.
I here that they have great benefits!
Please respond! Thank you.

Yes, you are entitled to USAA insurance coverage. But, keep in mind that USAA insurance rates are some of the highest around. Years ago, many members did not care that they were paying higher premiums because the service was so good and it was such a pleasure to do business with the company. I think many members have now switched to other companies for coverage because the service is not what it used to be. The employee morale is low and it spills over to the members. I think this is one of the biggest disappointments for me. When I worked there, members used to praise the service they received and would say that they were aware they were paying much higher prices for their coverage. What made the company competitive was the superior service they received. That is worth a lot to most people. I used to discuss how wonderful the employees were treated and that it was a pleasure to assist them and pass on my contentment to them. It's just not the same anymore. Even though I gave the members the best service I could, toward the end of my career there, I did not feel I could give them the service they deserved. If I gave too much, I would have gotten written up. If I gave too little, I would have gotten written up. It was difficult because no matter what any of the employees did, it was not satisfactory to management. What a difference a year made...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

USAA concerns said: I understand that USAA has gone through great changes but how different is it than working for a government agency or private companies? I have worked for several companies as a consultant and to me, they all have their political of doing things. Please respond!

Yes, you're right. Every corporation has a particular culture. Most of the time, it is the culture of "the bottom line". But, since 1922 USAA was the "gold standard". As their slogan went, "We know what it means to serve". That was so very true. And as I eluded to in other messages, it was once a pleasure to serve the company and its members. I would say that the decline started within the last 5 to 6 years, and in the last year the decline accelerated tremendously. You have to remember that USAA is a non profit organization, so the culture was different than most large companies. At the present time, I don't mind telling you, that I now work for Washington Mutual. And even though WAMU is a much larger company than USAA, they treat their employees with much more dignity than USAA at the present time. Yes, there are WAMU employees that may not care for their managers or may want to complain about this or that, but the day I walked into WAMU as a new employee I must have seen 200 people I knew....all were former USAA employees...what does this tell you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

EX-San Antonio Employee said: The majority of jobs at USAA require you to work in their call center. DO NOT ACCEPT A JOB AT USAA WORKING ON THE PHONE. That is the best advice I can give. If you are offered a professional position that does not require you to be connected to a headset it may be worth looking into. If you do not have the experience for a particular professional position you like then get the experience somewhere else and then apply. Working in the call center is a dead end job and provides nearly zero opportunity to advance. Do not go in with the, I’ll just get my foot in the door mentality. You will be in the same position three years down the road with little hope of moving up.

I agree with what you wrote. I stayed in call center for 2 years working 9:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. I finally made it off of call center with a lateral move, but it took moving mountains to do it. Mostly, it was because I was not part of the "in crowd". I'm sure you know how clickish some of the departments are. If you're not "one of them", then you're no one. I think you just gave some very sound advise in your message. I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, reps in call center only get 30 minutes for lunch, and sometimes when call volumes are heavy, they will bring in lunch for the units but you must remain at your desk to eat so that you stay on the phones. I think this is brutal. Phone reps anywhere have a very monotonous job. I almost went nuts doing it, so when I finally got promoted, I had the utmost respect for those on the phones. I used to tell them how much I respected them and that I never forgot what it felt like taking one call after another with such short breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

anonymous said:
Try looking on www.linkedin.com

I would suggest calling the main number to the Bank at 800-561-2265. Keep pressing O through the prompts to try to get to the operator. The new voice response system is confusing, but I think you'll eventually get to a human by pressing zero over and over again. Then just ask to be transferred to Phoenix HR. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in San Marcos, Texas

92 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in San Marcos, Texas

92 months ago

Just to let you know, a local TV station WOAI did a report on the current CEO saying that many of the IT positions were outsourced to India because the talent wasn't in America;otherwise, USAA would have them as employees. Needless to say, I am sure no self-respecting IT person would work for the company. I was there as a Claims Adjuster and was laid off like many thousands of others......beware. I would say try it but just don't expect to last for a long time. It is nothing like it used to be. So many unhappy members and employees. Truly, truly sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.