United American Insurance Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at United American Insurance?

What do you like best about working at United American Insurance? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

B in SC in Summerville, South Carolina

89 months ago

I just recently signed on with UA...my experience has been awsome! I have a wonderful Branch Manager, Unit Manager and AUM coaching me all the way...the entire group is phenomenal!

Sales is a totally new world to me, but thanks to their knowledge and guidance my confidence is soaring. I just did my first solo presentation (AND SOLD IT) yesterday...man, that was exciting! My background is in accounting/payroll/benefits administration (13+ years, and I'm burned out on it)...

Our branch offers numerous bonuses to the producers to give them a goal to work towards, in addition there are company paid vacations done twice annually to qualified producers...I plan to be one. The incentives are fantastic!

I wasn't misled in any way, shape or form...and it's the branches that operate in a less honest manner that make the entire company look "shady". Our branch manager was completely upfront about what to expect and, after reading some of these postings, I am ever so grateful for that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

SKS in CHS in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

83 months ago

I'd be interested to know if you still work for United American several months after your initial post. I went to an interview yesterday and it sounded great when I was there, but I know there's always a catch. After reading some of these people's stories, I have to admit, I'm a bit hesitant. How are you doing now? Are you still with them? Are you making enough to pay your bills? I'd appreciate any information you could give me on this. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

B in SC in Charleston, South Carolina

83 months ago

SKS in CHS in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: I'd be interested to know if you still work for United American several months after your initial post. I went to an interview yesterday and it sounded great when I was there, but I know there's always a catch. After reading some of these people's stories, I have to admit, I'm a bit hesitant. How are you doing now? Are you still with them? Are you making enough to pay your bills? I'd appreciate any information you could give me on this. Thanks!

Things are AWSOME! I was a "slow starter" and had numerous personal hurdles to overcome, but I never would have imagined things turning out as well as they have!!! I probably average around $5K per month, not counting bonuses/contests (a far cry from the income I was making). I've earned a UA pen, 4 UA Nike golf shirts, a UA watch..... Next June, my spouse and I will enjoy a vacation at a 5 star resort in Puerto Rico - AT NO COST TO US!!!

HERE'S THE CATCH...You have to WORK at it CONSISTANTLY! As long as you don't give up as soon as things look a little "grim", you follow the guidance provided by the managers, and maintain a great attitude, THE SKY'S THE LIMIT WITH UA!!! My spouse is so excited about my success, he/she is ready to stop working!

UA is a GREAT opportunity...I know I'm not going anywhere!!! :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Sounds great, only next time you copy/paste a prefabricated response, you might consider actually assigning a gender to your "spouse", because "he/she" might be offended.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Excuse me??? There was nothing copied & pasted or pre-fabricated! I simply don't want to be able to be identified as the poster.
You asked a question and I answered it honestly! Based on your skepticism, this probably isn't the opportunity for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Mmm...yeah whatever you say pal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Why bother asking a question if you really don't want to hear the answer...PAL???
Let me know how things go when you reach your salary cap at that limited job you're looking for! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nana4 in Conway, South Carolina

83 months ago

I too work for UA and not as an agent. I love my job. I have not made a fortune recruiting but I am making a living. I have the option of becoming an agent but I am not agent material. I am comfortable recruiting and doing secreterial duties.

I have seen the experience with my own eyes. I see the checks that come in every month. If you WORK CONSISTANTLY...you will exceed...same as with any job you do. You have to want it.It will not be handed to you on a silver spoon.It is an exciting career and there is money...if you WORK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kismet75 in Berea, Ohio

83 months ago

Hi, I've been asked to come interview at UA, I am a chef who was laid-off due to slow business and have resumes posted on various job sites. UA contacted me even though I told them I was a chef and looking for work as a CHEF, I'm just a bit puzzled by their interest, and what is the "work" part of being employed at UA? I mean, I would assume most people would figure out pretty quick what my job entails, but what is the function and/or duties of a possible manager at UA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fesston in Bloomington, Indiana

83 months ago

How good exactly is the money?
Can we be more specific? Or would that be too personal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

My last 4 renewal checks averaged $3450 per month...that's just in renewals. I've probably averaged another $2,000-3,000 per month in advances, and around $400-$700 per month in bonuses. I've only been with UA for less than 7 months now, I'm an Assistant Unit Manager and will have my own unit in the next 3-4 months.
The biggest key to being successful with UA is listening to the managers by being coachable, having a great attitude and an impecable work ethic. I'm very happy and thankful for the opportunity I have with UA and I don't have any plans to leave!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kismet75 in Berea, Ohio

83 months ago

Answer MY question. What do you do? Telling me to have a great attitude and have good work-ethic is like telling someone to breathe. Tell US what your job entails. What are the physical actions of the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

holly beach in North Charleston, South Carolina

82 months ago

why isn't anyone aking about how much the base pay is and how long it lasts?
How long does the base pay last for the learning curve?
How much is the base pay per month?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

There is no starting or base pay. You're on 100% commission. But, even the most skeptical person (me) will get excited about the income potential, the benefits, the free trips, etc. You'll find out that the $50k they almost but not quite promised you'd make your first year, is technically obtainable but only to the right type of person. I think personally, I'd have to overcome some major hurdles in my conscience to put something in someone's hands that I wasn't absolutely 100% positive was going to payoff for them.

In my first (and last) interview, they brought in a salesman who had been there a short time and was reportedly doing very well. He was telling this story about how he sold an $8 policy to a poor lady so she could have at least some kind of coverage for her and her son, which is all well and good. He went on about how hard he worked to get this policy in her hands even though she couldn't afford to pay for it, had to wait for the $ etc. My thought was, if this stuff is so easy to sell then why in the world would you work so hard for an $8 sale? Why? Because the sales aren't REALLY that easy to make. They said it, they use a rule of thumb called 500/250/50/20/5 or something like that. It means, make 500 calls, 250 will return your call, 50 will make an appt, 20 will keep the appt and 5 people will actually buy. This is not exactly what their breakdown was but close enough.

You buy your own gas, your own little insurance salesman "kit" which I believe was $130 or so and other related expenses out of your bank account which now does not have a steady check getting deposited. If you are low on funds or broke already, if you don't have reliable transportation, if you cannot afford to skip a paycheck (or several), then this is not for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kriss jackson in New Orleans, Louisiana

82 months ago

i have my resume posted. I have an business administration degree and working on my masters in accounting. Then i recieve a call from UAinsurance. Im trying to find out does my resume call for sales jobs that are commission based only. This is the second or third time some sells company caled me. I even had a staffing agency try to refer me to an admissions jobs at Phoenix asking me to call and get people to attend the school. But she would send my resume for an entry level position as an accounts recieveble clerk. Does Masters of Accounting and Financial Mgt. mean anything to these dam recruiters, or it only means something when you dont have and african american first name. Because my first name is an african american name and trust me, i am not using my real name on this post. Im mean, what the f..k, why im I attracting the junky as commission based sells job, when im getting a f..kin masters. UAinsurance can kiss my a..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

kriss jackson in New Orleans, Louisiana said: i have my resume posted. I have an business administration degree and working on my masters in accounting. Then i recieve a call from UAinsurance. Im trying to find out does my resume call for sales jobs that are commission based only. This is the second or third time some sells company caled me. I even had a staffing agency try to refer me to an admissions jobs at Phoenix asking me to call and get people to attend the school. But she would not send my resume for an entry level position as an accounts recieveble clerk. Does Masters of Accounting and Financial Mgt. mean anything to these dam recruiters, or it only means something when you dont have and african american first name. Because my first name is an african american name and trust me, i am not using my real name on this post. Im mean, what the f..k, why im I attracting the junky as commission based sells job, when im getting a f..kin masters. UAinsurance can kiss my a..[ correct]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Please correct me if I am wrong. People post resumes to look for a job OR new Career,don't they? UA is just offering you that change. You don't have to accept it. You can turn it down. If you like money though,you wouldn't turn it down. I am sure your first job may not be the same thing you are doing now. You have to get a start somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I understand that, but i want a start in the accounting field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

That's when you say, I do thank you for your interest in my resume and me but I will have to decline at this time. It all falls back to those manners that our parents taught us when we were small. It really isnt that hard. I would be honored to have anyone consider my resume in these days and times. It is hard to find a good job. I am in telemarketing with UA and we have been hearing horror stories about peoples jobs lately. They are shutting down businesses left and right and others are being laid off. It is very hard times. If you have a job,you might want to hang on to it. Accountant jobs are available this time of year everywhere with tax time rolling up on us. Check with some of the tax offices near you. They may lead to full time,one never knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UAnogood in Fort Mill, South Carolina

79 months ago

I was at UA for 6 months; 2 of them being the top sales agent in the branch of 12. All was good when I started getting my advance checks; then the charge backs started coming in, diluting my renewal checks to nothing. When I quit, I was still selling a lot of policies, but not making any renewal checks. I just paid over $2,000 to UA for my credit balance for these charge backs! As far as I'm concerned, the company is terrible to work for. I got into real estate, and never looked back. I've been into real estate since Nov, and have pocketed 39k so far, and will be over 50k by next week(3 closings on Friday) Any one out there that can send me a photo of their "agent of the month" plaque for more than 1 month(I know your Unit Mgr gets you the first one), I'll call you to see if you're interested in my business. I'll show you my bank statements! Top selling agents in UA reward their upper echelon, not theirselves! Stop busting your butt chasing those terrible leads! My leads call me, and chase me! I'm really mad at UA, and want to steal any top agent that I can. I want to show these agents that they are wasting serious time and energy. I lived it. I'm not off topic here; I am definitely talking about UA, and answering questions as to why anyone should NOT want to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Masters in Accounting and you still haven't learned to spell??? Someone's done you wrong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

77 months ago

UAnogood in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: I was at UA for 6 months; 2 of them being the top sales agent in the branch of 12. All was good when I started getting my advance checks; then the charge backs started coming in, diluting my renewal checks to nothing. When I quit, I was still selling a lot of policies, but not making any renewal checks. I just paid over $2,000 to UA for my credit balance for these charge backs! As far as I'm concerned, the company is terrible to work for. I got into real estate, and never looked back. I've been into real estate since Nov, and have pocketed 39k so far, and will be over 50k by next week(3 closings on Friday) Any one out there that can send me a photo of their "agent of the month" plaque for more than 1 month(I know your Unit Mgr gets you the first one), I'll call you to see if you're interested in my business. I'll show you my bank statements! Top selling agents in UA reward their upper echelon, not theirselves! Stop busting your butt chasing those terrible leads! My leads call me, and chase me! I'm really mad at UA, and want to steal any top agent that I can. I want to show these agents that they are wasting serious time and energy. I lived it. I'm not off topic here; I am definitely talking about UA, and answering questions as to why anyone should NOT want to work for them.

I worked for UA for a few months and it was the most stressful time of my life ! I couldn't believe the expenses I incurred (mainly gasoline driving places). There were/are others struggling, and I keep wondering with all this, why so much emphasis was on recruitment and so little was on retention. In other words, why the branch management didn't help or counsel
those who were having trouble. I do know that several left right before me and I believe, more since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

77 months ago

SKS in CHS in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: There is no starting or base pay. You're on 100% commission. But, even the most skeptical person (me) will get excited about the income potential, the benefits, the free trips, etc. You'll find out that the $50k they almost but not quite promised you'd make your first year, is technically obtainable but only to the right type of person. I think personally, I'd have to overcome some major hurdles in my conscience to put something in someone's hands that I wasn't absolutely 100% positive was going to payoff for them.

In my first (and last) interview, they brought in a salesman who had been there a short time and was reportedly doing very well. He was telling this story about how he sold an $8 policy to a poor lady so she could have at least some kind of coverage for her and her son, which is all well and good. He went on about how hard he worked to get this policy in her hands even though she couldn't afford to pay for it, had to wait for the $ etc. My thought was, if this stuff is so easy to sell then why in the world would you work so hard for an $8 sale? Why? Because the sales aren't REALLY that easy to make. They said it, they use a rule of thumb called 500/250/50/20/5 or something like that. It means, make 500 calls, 250 will return your call, 50 will make an appt, 20 will keep the appt and 5 people will actually buy. This is not exactly what their breakdown was but close enough.

You buy your own gas, your own little insurance salesman "kit" which I believe was $130 or so and other related expenses out of your bank account which now does not have a steady check getting deposited. If you are low on funds or broke already, if you don't have reliable transportation, if you cannot afford to skip a paycheck (or several), then this is not for

The expenses alone can be horrendous !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Inspector in Missouri

77 months ago

SKS in CHS in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: There is no starting or base pay. You're on 100% commission. But, even the most skeptical person (me) will get excited about the income potential, the benefits, the free trips, etc. You'll find out that the $50k they almost but not quite promised you'd make your first year, is technically obtainable but only to the right type of person. I think personally, I'd have to overcome some major hurdles in my conscience to put something in someone's hands that I wasn't absolutely 100% positive was going to payoff for them.

I was told an agent only gets 20 percent commission on the $8 accident policy ! (1.60)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.