How to get a job at UnitedHealth.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Do you work at UnitedHealth? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

stilllooking1 in Washington, District of Columbia

59 months ago

KJN said: What is so bad about the behavioral department is that they work you to death, especially the Care advocates.The workload is unbearable.

Someone please help with my questions! I was offered a Care Advocate position -10 hr. shift-(day time on the weekend and 2 weekday nights).

Is the night shift just as bad as the day shift? What do you mean they work you to death?!

Any feedback on the nighttime team Managers @ West Loop S. location in Houston!? Please give specifics.

Please respond, I live from out of state.

Emily from Beacon never came back to say if she took the job etc.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

I doubt you were not hired due to being a minority. I have done telephone interviews(role playing) after the nurse makes it through the recruiter. Bascially it's hard to get past the recruiter and also these jobs freeze up frequently. Alot of the time by the job is posted outside of the company it is most likely filled internally. It took me a few months to get in the door for an interview and then I was hired. Work on behavioral interviewing. Working at this company you have to be able to work on your own, be inventive, be able to multi-task, be a problem solver. If you like this type of work just keep applying and write your resume to fit the job you are applying for. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

RN in Chicago, what do you do for UHG? Know any nurses that work as a Care Advocate? I applied in Houston. I do not want to go if it is going to be a nightmare because I live out of state.

RN in Chicago, Illinois said: I doubt you were not hired due to being a minority. I have done telephone interviews(role playing) after the nurse makes it through the recruiter. Bascially it's hard to get past the recruiter and also these jobs freeze up frequently. Alot of the time by the job is posted outside of the company it is most likely filled internally. It took me a few months to get in the door for an interview and then I was hired. Work on behavioral interviewing. Working at this company you have to be able to work on your own, be inventive, be able to multi-task, be a problem solver. If you like this type of work just keep applying and write your resume to fit the job you are applying for. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

What department? What do you mean my Care Advocate? For Behavorial Health? I have worked in a variety in areas working up from actually calling consumers to management. If you are referring to Behavorial Health, that is a very taxing job and will burn you out quickly. Same for nurseline. However if you are looking for a job in case management this might be something you will like and you can also work at home after a period of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Yes. I was referring to the Care Advocate positions in behavioral health. The job would be for the after-hours department 2 mornings per week and 2 evenings per week. Basically, it would be (4) 10 hr. days with 3 days off. Is it possible that the day time Care Advocates are more quickly burned out than the night time. Maybe night time is not as bad??? They do not do concurrent review, they just take the initial admission calls and any potential crisis calls.

Please tell me as much as you know. What do you mean it is taxing/I will burn out quickly? I have do psych. UR before, and I was fine( during the day and I had to do concurrent review as well as initial calls).

Could you please elaborate on the job I do not want to take it, if it is going to be awful. As I mentioned,the position is out of state in Houston.

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Well if you have experience in this area. I worked in an office with UBH. I didn't see anyone really upset about their job. I just know in this field it is high burnout by the nature of the job. I don't know about Houston but I would say go for it. I know they pay on a higher scale for external people than internal also. I have been very happy working for UHG. If you are a hard worker, problem solver you'll do fine. You might not get a great training but I was able to figure out what I needed to do. Good Luck to you. Remember most people posting are gone from UHG or have been fired so there are alot of negativce posts here. How far away do you live from Houston and will you be woring from home then. It's possible to instant message coworkers while working for help, sharing your desktop for training. Working form home is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I live all the way in another state so I want to be sure about this.

Please elaborate on the training. They told me that there would be 2 weeks of training on the system, then I would have a mentor(seasoned Care Advocate)for about 1 month after the initial 2 week training.

What do you mean I might not get a good training? Please elaborate?

Once training is over, will I be lost? Will they not want to answer additional questions once I am working? (If I take the job).

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I am trying to change Washington DC by my name. I hit the wrong button!

stilllooking1 in Washington, District of Columbia said: I live all the way in another state so I want to be sure about this.

Please elaborate on the training. They told me that there would be 2 weeks of training on the system, then I would have a mentor(seasoned Care Advocate)for about 1 month after the initial 2 week training.

Once training is over, will I be lost? Will they not want to answer additional questions once I am working? (If I take the job).

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

2 weeks doesn't sound adequate for training however have you done this type of job for another company and all you need to do is learn UHG's system? Is so, this might be enough. I have not worked on this system that the Care Advocates use to know what to say. However, I know a previous CA who is now in another departmemt which I can ask about how much training. This person already said the training as a CA was not very much. But then again, if you are able to problem solve you'll be fine as many who work in this company are able to do. Having a mentor is very helpful and you'll find that you can instant message your co-workers for questions also. The people you work with are usually very nice and helpful...that's what I LOVE about UHG the people who I work with . Will touch base at the beginning of the week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

stilllooking1 in Washington, District of Columbia said: I live all the way in another state so I want to be sure about this.

Thanks

Oh I see- 2 weeks on the system and then 1 month with a mentor! Okay this is good training and yes your mentor or a co-worker will happily help you after you get through training. I will say from a perspective of nurses and CA everyone is very very nice and always is willing to help a co-worker. Take the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stilllooking1 in Florida

58 months ago

What do you do specifically for the company?

Yes, please talk more in depth w/the CA. Please ask them about the crisis calls as I do not have exp. w/ crisis calls. I did Psych. UR but I did not get the crisis calls, (though it is pretty obvious what to do if someone is calling and threatening to kill themselves). Please ask the CA if they help new people w/the crisis calls initially and even after being there for a while,do they help w/ the crisis calls. Also, if you can,please find out more about the system and if poss. any info. about the after-hours duties of the CA's. Is the job just as difficult for the after hrs. CA's as it is for the day time CA's?

RN in Chicago, Illinois said: Oh I see- 2 weeks on the system and then 1 month with a mentor! Okay this is good training and yes your mentor or a co-worker will happily help you after you get through training. I will say from a perspective of nurses and CA everyone is very very nice and always is willing to help a co-worker. Take the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Even as a nurse we had crisis calls and the CA's would come over to help the nurse. I have transferred members to a CA also. You won't be the only after hour CA also. I'll ask someone about this but I wouldn't about support its more about how you handle pressure and able to problem solve. I would think anyone would help you with a crisis call if you asked for help. This is the type of environment I have worked in and CA's were just down the hall.

stilllooking1 in Florida

58 months ago

Can they really look at your medical records?!

stilllooking1 in Florida

58 months ago

Other than the crisis calls, I would mainly be taking admission calls which doesn't really involve alot of problem solving. The crisis calls would mainly be where I would have to problem solve, but if they help each other that would be a tremendous help until I got used to doing these type of calls.

If poss. can you get a hold of a CA in Houston to ask them specifics.

Thanks!

stilllooking1 in Florida

58 months ago

I forgot to ask, when you say pressure, could you elaborate please? Again, I have done Psych.UR before so I am not foreign to it. I had to do admission, concurrent and retrospective calls. The after hrs. people just have to take the initial admission calls as the Manager explained to me.

RN in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

I can't say exactly as a CA but over on the nurse side they must make so many calls per hour, cover so many things, help the consumer make so many changes. After hours the nurses do send crisis calls over to the CA's. As the nurses are working more into the evening I would expect these calls to increase however am not sure if you would be the person taking these calls. I used to work in management and project management.

stilllooking1 in Florida

58 months ago

Okay, thanks for the info.

RN in Chicago, Illinois said: I can't say exactly as a CA but over on the nurse side they must make so many calls per hour, cover so many things, help the consumer make so many changes. After hours the nurses do send crisis calls over to the CA's. As the nurses are working more into the evening I would expect these calls to increase however am not sure if you would be the person taking these calls. I used to work in management and project management.

Murf in Enfield, Connecticut

56 months ago

POTENTIAL EMPLOYEE BEWARE! God's Honest Truth - - - I left UHG in 1999. My reason was that two sr execs (KB & SH) - whom, not surprisingly, are still with UHG in the post-McGuire era. I was requested to alter financial statements for year end to increase the dividend payout per share by $0.01 - which equated to what the company had previously estimated and published to large financial houses.

My problem was that this would require me to acknowledge that a LARGE capital project (approx $12M) was completed when in fact a vendor had not even been selected, nothing had been enacted including even a project plan to select a vendor. I refused and heard words I have never heard from any employer previously, "We don't want to ask you to do anything you don't want to do . . " Then why the heck did you ask me ?? Really shady. Removing McGuire was a start but the underlying lack of honesty probably still exists; same players, different titles. I found another position about three months after being asked to front this deceit to their stockholders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MERNETTA in Newington, Connecticut

55 months ago

If YOU THINK UNITED HEALTH IS BAD TRY WORKING AT AETNA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MERNETTA in Newington, Connecticut

55 months ago

THIS REALLY SOUNDS LIKE AETNA !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.