Getting in...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

Host

Do you work at Verizon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

sally in Crozet, Virginia

94 months ago

i don't work at verizon but would like to also

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

Try doing a search for Verizon on www.indeed.com to see what's available. Here's a search I did for Verizon jobs in Virginia:
www.indeed.com/jobs?radius=&q=Verizon&l=Virginia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Boston, Massachusetts

94 months ago

You don't want to work for Verizon. You will have to join a union which Verizon treats with gross disrespect. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

jphsph@yahoo in Rhodelia, Kentucky

94 months ago

did not know good info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

C - Atlanta, GA in Chandler, Arizona

94 months ago

Verizon Wireless is not Union.
There are only certain positions within Verizon Com (the telephone company) that are union but it is an option to join.

Verizon Wireless is fine -- look into their retail stores -- lots of openings for both sales and customer service. That is the best place to start or if you have outside sales experience -- B2B outside sales.
Good pay, outstanding benefits, but you have to want to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Rogers in Boston, Massachusetts

91 months ago

Emma (Host) said: Try doing a search for Verizon on www.indeed.com to see what's available. Here's a search I did for Verizon jobs in Virginia:
www.indeed.com/jobs?radius=&q=Verizon&l=Virginia
Hey thanks , please mail me more information,about getting into verizon,in
boston mass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CE - Atl in Chandler, Arizona

91 months ago

Mary,

If you are looking into Verizon Wireless go directly to their website www.verizonwireless.com and select careers

Under Area select Northeast -- you can then select the state. This is the best way to see jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Medford, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Mary Rogers said: I would love to work at verizon.where do i start.

I actually interviewed at a VZW site today.I WAS excited about it. However, after much consideration AND additional research on the net tonight I am going to withdraw...check out> JobVent.com then type in Verizon Wireless...you'll be shocked at all the negative comments, some good comments but who knows the true author of those (i.e., Mgrs, HR, etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

K in New Haven, Indiana

90 months ago

Jay said: You don't want to work for Verizon. You will have to join a union which Verizon treats with gross disrespect. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!

Thats not true... I work for Verizon and the Union is a "good" thing.. I pay nothing for insurance for my son and husband. Also I love my job and everyone is so professional and well rounded. its the kind of company people stay with for 20 + years. If that doesn't say enough about it.. we are one of the fastest growing TV's services now... just wait..FiOS is going to Kiss Cable Goodbye!! ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I certainly am looking to stay with a company for the next 15 years, or retirement. how do I get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

S.

90 months ago

Sue said:
I actually interviewed at a VZW site today.I WAS excited about it. However, after much consideration AND additional research on the net tonight I am going to withdraw...check out> JobVent.com then type in Verizon Wireless...you'll be shocked at all the negative comments, some good comments but who knows the true author of those (i.e., Mgrs, HR, etc)
If you go to JobVent.com type in Verizon Communications (includes some VZW) too, more comments there too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya Smith

90 months ago

Please do yourself and me a favor and look at another company. You will not have a career at Verizon. The company has change. Better yet imagine this, working in a company for 20 years (not verizon wireless not sure about that)and being laid off because you job title no longer exist. Or not being able to purschase a home because you are unsure if your job will be there. Better yet earn your Master's Degree and find out that it not what you know it who you know to get anywhere in the company. Even better how would you feel working for a company with a CEO whose bonus not salary was 10 million and want to cut jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya Smith

90 months ago

Are you kidding me. Verizon is no longer a company that you will be there for 20 years and if so after your 20 years what are the chances that you will be laid off. Cable is Kicking butt. But, yes I will agree FIOS is the best investment for the company. Better pray that its not to late.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

D Pinehurst FL in Tampa, Florida

90 months ago

I interviewed at Verizon in Temple Terrace in one of their satellite offices. I noticed right away that in this 8 story building, all I saw was people from India. Nothing else. The person that interviewed me was a secretary and she was American but she had been there for 15 years. She was honest with me and told me that she would love to hire me but that they "like to hire their own kind" The only reason she was there was because she was there before them and she knew that she would probably be laid off soon. Beyond belief! Funny, how in this country we have to make sure we hire a certain amount of minorities but minorities don't have to hire us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Hayner in Redondo Beach, California

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Verizon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I'm completly new too verizon. and am interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Matawan, New Jersey

89 months ago

Darlenein Hauppauge, New York said: I work for a clec right now..and I was wondering if I was looking for a position in Provisioning with Verizon, what would be the job description to look under?

just saw a posting in indeed.com for translations

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gus in Tampa in Palm Harbor, Florida

89 months ago

I worked for Verizon Wireless and got so discussed with the company I walked out. At one time over half the people in my department where on some type of written disciplinary procedure. After I left I found ways not to use any type of Verizon Service at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

I've certainly tried to stir away from this company, too much bad history, I've also talked to a couple of people who work there and asked them about getting in, and they advised me not to apply there. Sounds like this company could really use some restructuring. maybe change of the guard is in order, I will never apply for employment there, have not got back one good feedback as to why someone would want to work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

I also know that seeing is believing, on second thought I will do my own research and determine these things for myself, we all know that sometimes employees can be slackers and not willing to really to put in 100%. When called out on this , we wind up with disgruntled employees, who then go out and bad mouth the company, I myself will really do my own research since I have a few months to look for employment, to be sure that I have not overlooked a good company on hear say. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya Smith

89 months ago

Mary, you are correct about certain employees but remember this a smart person learns from their own experience and a wise person learn from others. Be wise. I still work there and do to the economy and other companies not hiring I am staying until......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

hey, thanks tanya I will use this advice wisely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marie in Thousand Oaks, California

89 months ago

If you’re talking about VZ Communications and not VZ Wireless,..it depends on what job you apply for and where you apply. I worked for VZ Communications for several yrs. I'm not sure what the start pay is I think it might be close to $9.00 hr max about $26 hr those jobs are union jobs CWA, pay increases are automatic you'll reach top pay within 4 years or less if you have a degree, it counts as wage credit. A typical bonus is $3k since it is a union job you get it regardless of your performance. For benefit info visit the website. Perks are that if you work hard you get rewarded, most rewards are found in the contact center since thats a main source of revenue for the company. Perks like trips to Hawaii, Florida, to small items like a TV, all this for making sales quotas. Also if you are in sales you earn points which you can use towards buying certificates at stores like Best Buy. Most managerial positions are internal promotions. Before an interview review this www22.verizon.com/about/careers/preview.html If you get the job my best advice is to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement, try your best everyday, look for the solution (don’t be the complainer in the office), finally- accept and work well with change. Most IMPORTANT dont get too complacent with a telecom job,land lines are less and less popular (even with Fios), more jobs are being shipped to India,… If you are going to start there, get your degree(s), move up to a managerial position, and then move on to another company, I did. You may run into many VZ "lifers" people with 20+ yrs at VZ many have not taken advantage of the tuition program for those people I say get out of VZ bubble and get a degree. There are better jobs out there look at Fortune 100 best companies to work for VZ is not listed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dear in New Town, Massachusetts

89 months ago

Yes, check out www.JobVent.com there's a ton of information about Verizon and people who hate their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vi. in Byron Center, Michigan

88 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Verizon? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes, I worked there & loved it. A great Co., lots of training. Just go in person & try to establish a rapport with the Mgr. They will tell you what you need to do.

Ms. Watson in Huffman, Texas

88 months ago

Hey, I have worked for VZW now for some time. I am currently seeking employement else where due to the integrity of the company. Verizon is now going through contractors to higher candidates. With that said they are also laying of many. You see with contractors, VZW doesn't have to pay any benefits and can actually pay less money. Since more contractors have been coming in, more of us (direct hires) have been getting the boot out.
If you ned a good pay check for right now, do it. But long term career, DON'T! Oh, and I thought you guys may want to know that Verizon is on the WORST Companys to work for list this year. Not such a hot look for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya Smith

87 months ago

Where was that listed that Verizon is the worse company to work for???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim Cole

87 months ago

I worked at Verizon for 11 years and the pay is good.....benefits are wonderful (free for you and the family) Award points are great motivation.....

So why did I leave....

Management is terrible and they are sales driven. If you dont meet your quota then disciplinary action will be taken. They are VERY strict on EVERYTHING! From minutes on the phone, how long you can be on the phone with a customer, 7 key phrases that you have to "offer" to EVERY customer.

I have ledd stress now working in a Max Juvenile prison....go figure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Summerville, South Carolina

87 months ago

I worked for Verizon for a year and it was the most awful experience of my life. I found out that I was pregnant right after I started but didn't tell anyone for fear of losing my job. During training, I got nothing but praise at my work performance. You get monitored on your calls and they actually grade random calls and that goes towards your performance. Well, before anouncing to the company that I was pregnant, I got nothing but 100% performance on all my monitored calls. Well, as soon as they found out I was pregnant, I started failing ALL my monitored calls. I didn't change anything I did but it seemed as though I couldn't do anything right. My supervisor agreed that something was very wrong there. I was told that if I failed one more monitor then I would be let go. We challenged several of my calls that were failed but they always came back with some off the wall reason I failed. I was really losing it!!!! I had to go to the doctor b/c of the stress and my doc put me on bed rest at 5 months pregnant b/c she was fearful for the baby. Another thing is the company really does allow people to talk to you however they please. Customers get really nasty when they don't get what they want and lots of times your hands are tied...company policies. They can cuss at you and belittle you and you have to stay on the line. Just awful!!!! The pay and benefits are great but not worth one's sanity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I would like to work there as a telephone operator. Does anyone know how I get in. I have great skills!

Thanks Mary Rogers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Country in Oxon Hill, Maryland

87 months ago

I've been working for Verizon for over 2 and a half years and I love it, but I have to addmit the company is changing but its still a laid back job with terrific benefits, I'm a Service Technician and as long as your productivity is where it should be you're ok and thats not a problem at all unless you are just lazy and want to take advantage of the freedom of the job; I never pictured my self 23 making this much money. Last year I made $73,000 and I'm not even at top pay, so figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

I just applied for a tech job with verizon and passed the test that quaifys me,,,,,,but i havent heard from a staffer as yet...what should i do? Who can I call. Is it true that you have to know someone to get in?

Country in Oxon Hill, Maryland said: I've been working for Verizon for over 2 and a half years and I love it, but I have to addmit the company is changing but its still a laid back job with terrific benefits, I'm a Service Technician and as long as your productivity is where it should be you're ok and thats not a problem at all unless you are just lazy and want to take advantage of the freedom of the job; I never pictured my self 23 making this much money. Last year I made $73,000 and I'm not even at top pay, so figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Z in Parsippany, New Jersey

79 months ago

I just was given an offer this month and will start next month. I had applied online at the end of November of last year, was called to take a specific test in Dec. Was told that i passed the test and that when a position was availible, I would be called. I was called this month on the 14th. It depends on the position you apply, your passing all the tests for the job and the availiblity of the jobs. After all that, you still need to pass medical and background checks. You are screened to the Nth degree to get in Verizon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Real1 in District Heights, Maryland

68 months ago

Country in Oxon Hill, Maryland said: I've been working for Verizon for over 2 and a half years and I love it, but I have to addmit the company is changing but its still a laid back job with terrific benefits, I'm a Service Technician and as long as your productivity is where it should be you're ok and thats not a problem at all unless you are just lazy and want to take advantage of the freedom of the job; I never pictured my self 23 making this much money. Last year I made $73,000 and I'm not even at top pay, so figure it out.

Do they anticipate hiring additional techs as Wash, DC has just decided on having Verizon to lay the fiber for all of the city

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Wallingford, Connecticut

31 months ago

K in New Haven, Indiana said: Thats not true... I work for Verizon and the Union is a "good" thing.. I pay nothing for insurance for my son and husband. Also I love my job and everyone is so professional and well rounded. its the kind of company people stay with for 20 + years. If that doesn't say enough about it.. we are one of the fastest growing TV's services now... just wait..FiOS is going to Kiss Cable Goodbye!! ;-)

I currently work for AT&T as an installation technician and have 5 years of experience. Do you think Verizon will begin hiring installation and repair technicians in New York again. Would you happen to know a contact for New York so that I could send my resume.

Thank you,
David

hogsrfun in Charleston, West Virginia

31 months ago

U may want to try FRONTIER they bought verizon who is now wireless
GOOD LUCK

nosparesf2 in Coram, New York

31 months ago

Verizon is still a good job although it has changed quite a bit over the past few years. I am a FIOS installer/repairman and have worked for the comp. about 17 years. My base pay is about $80k/yr and I average about$110k/ yr with ot. I dont pay for my medical, at least not yet. I work on Long Island and really doubt they will be hiring in this area any time soon. Yes they have sold part of the plant to Frontier in certain parts of the country. I dont think they'll be doing that here but who knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nosparesf2 in Coram, New York

31 months ago

I work for Verizon on Long Island and have 17 years with the company. I started when it was still NYNEX. it has changed quite a bit but all complaints aside it's still a good job. I am a FIOS installation/repair tech. My base pay is about $80,000. With ot I make about $110,000 and there are guys that work much more ot than I do. A few of the guys in my garage did $160,000 last year. I dont pay for my medical (yet) and we have better coverage than anyone I know. Yes they have sold off part of the copper plant to Frontier in. other parts of the country but I dont think.they'll do that here. But who knows. They use to say "craddle to the grave", you had a decnt job for life. But it's a different world now. I dont see them hiring anywhere around here anytime soon. And if they did the contract reads different for anyone hired after a certain year.2003 I think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in New York, New York

14 months ago

Ross Dieckman in Seymour, Connecticut said: Only 5 years with at+t and you claim you are an "experienced" I+r tech??!!!.....good luck...don't think Verizon is interested in wire-pulling, "Premises Technician" who at+t doesn't train and who can't climb........

Mr. Dieckman you are a poor excuse for a human being. Instead of giving encouraging support, because that is what these forums are for, you would rather express your ignorance to the world. Well unfortunatly for you sir you did not realize with whom you are speaking with. My wife represents verizon workers and their union in workers comp and other related matters. She will be bringing up your information at her next appointment with the board.
Well wishes to you in your future endeavors.

Rosa in New York, New York

14 months ago

Ross Dieckman in Seymour, Connecticut said: Only 5 years with at+t and you claim you are an "experienced" I+r tech??!!!.....good luck...don't think Verizon is interested in wire-pulling, "Premises Technician" who at+t doesn't train and who can't climb........

Ross Dieckman what is your issue? This young man came onto this forum for simple advice. How dare you speak to him in such a manner. You may be "seasoned" as a verizon employee but we all started out the same way. You dont remember when you first started out Ross?
Just as an FYI for you...this experienced premise tech that supposedly isnt trained and doesnt climb currently works for verizon as a foreman building and climbing 200ft + towers. Without him you wouldnt have a job. Eat your words Ross....

Jermaine in Columbus, Ohio

6 months ago

I am trying to work at the call center in wallingford ct so I can move closer to my family. Does anybody know contact info for the recruiter for this location?

Mariusz in Staten Island, New York

6 months ago

How does a person gets a job as verizon/fios technician? Where to apply?

bluemail83 in Beachwood, New Jersey

5 months ago

I applied and passed the required tests with flying colors and then it was the live interview, 2 guys sat down with these premade handbooks asked me questions about in previous work histories blah blah blah. Answered them and denied me. I have over 10 years of IT and previously worked for Comcast Business IP support and did great but verizon didnt hire me?? haha

pattyponyowner in Nashville, Tennessee

4 months ago

nosparesf2 in Coram, New York said: I work for Verizon on Long Island and have 17 years with the company. I started when it was still NYNEX. it has changed quite a bit but all complaints aside it's still a good job. I am a FIOS installation /repair tech. My base pay is about $80,000. With ot I make about $110,000 and there are guys that work much more ot than I do. A few of the guys in my garage did $160,000 last year. I dont pay for my medical (yet) and we have better coverage than anyone I know. Yes they have sold off part of the copper plant to Frontier in. other parts of the country but I dont think.they'll do that here. But who knows. They use to say "craddle to the grave", you had a decnt job for life. But it's a different world now. I dont see them hiring anywhere around here anytime soon. And if they did the contract reads different for anyone hired after a certain year.2003 I think.

My huspand is a wire tech/prem tech with AT&T/U-verse and just became certified in fiber. We need to move back to LI to help my mom out. I know you don't see them hiring any time soon in your area, but who would he contact to inquire? He's CWA now if that helps.

pattyponyowner in Nashville, Tennessee

4 months ago

My huspand is a wire tech/prem tech with AT&T/U-verse and just became certified in fiber. We need to move back to LI to help my mom out. I know you don't see them hiring any time soon in your area, but who would he contact to inquire? He's CWA now if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated!

markmess in Spring Valley, New York

4 months ago

Sue in Medford, Massachusetts said: I actually interviewed at a VZW site today.I WAS excited about it. However, after much consideration AND additional research on the net tonight I am going to withdraw...check out> JobVent.com then type in Verizon Wireless...you'll be shocked at all the negative comments, some good comments but who knows the true author of those (i.e., Mgrs, HR , etc)

WHY would you withdraw? why wouldn't you take the job and make your own assessment? People are idiots.. People don't want to "work" They don't go in on time or take off bec. their bird is sick and then blame the company they work for as it sucks. How is a business supposed to run if people don't show up? Do yourself a favor and go get the job and if you don't like it quit.

Mariusz in Brooklyn, New York

4 months ago

How does one get a job as Verizon technician?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.