How to get a job at Veterans Affairs.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 151)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Veterans Affairs? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Anderson in Addison, Illinois

88 months ago

I have a Master Degree / Addiction Therapaist how do I get a position in my career realted feild. I have made a many attempts and have not yet suceeded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Jerome Johnson

84 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Veterans Affairs? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I am a veteran trying to to get any job with the VA. Can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (170) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Esther Heaton in Jonesborough, Tennessee

84 months ago

Jerome Johnson said: I am a veteran trying to to get any job with the VA. Can anyone help?

At the Mountain Home VA hospital in Johnson City, TN unless you have experience in the medical field, it really helps to know someone. I have known Vietnam vets who after working temp jobs there were unable to get a permanent position. The backdoor method if you don't have proper veteran creditials is to apply for a job at the canteen which will make you eligible to apply for some VA positions - review the past area of considerations for your local facility. Otherwise, apply for the food service worker part time rotating shift to get on permanent - that will open up other positions after probationary period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Esther Heaton in Jonesborough, Tennessee

84 months ago

Also, never take a temporary job at the VA - they work you to death with no intention of hiring you - this is just a method for section chiefs to keep under budget by not providing health etc. benefits so they can receive bonus in the form of merit pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donald McLorie in Winston Salem, North Carolina

78 months ago

I'm a former U.S. Marine Corps (Air Wing Helicopter Crew Chief) VET and I'm very interested in working with VETRANS AFFAIRS.My concerns are how do we provide more and better services for my Military Brothers.
My Professional credentials are in Sales and Marketing.I am versitle and would like the opportunity work in a capacity comensurate to my background with the Vetrans Affairs
Please review my resume.
Sincerely,
Don Mclorie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

ANGELA WAY in LAUREL, Maryland

74 months ago

I have worked for the Army as a civilian in Procurement, completed 2 active duty tours and one reserve tour. I have researched over the net why veterans aren't getting hired. Legislation is being discussed to have departments heads at fed agencies to report how many veterans are being hired. Something can be done about this, I know because Clinton hired 170 veterans at one time on the same day in DOD Columbus, they were forced to hire us if we were eligible, then they treated us like dogs in a kennel once we were sworn in. I did not stick with it, I just moved on, what can we do collectively to bring this matter to the attention of someone that can help and would listen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Think seriously about relocating to the Washington DC area after being selected and offered a position. I have been interviewed over the phone and selected, accepted the position and moved at my expense for the sake of continuing my career with the feds. Sometimes it will be a career move not a personal move, which is more important to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gee718 in Washington, District of Columbia

74 months ago

ANGELA WAY in LAUREL, Maryland said: Think seriously about relocating to the Washington DC area after being selected and offered a position. I have been interviewed over the phone and selected, accepted the position and moved at my expense for the sake of continuing my career with the feds. Sometimes it will be a career move not a personal move, which is more important to you.

Think very careful about taking a position at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This federal agency has a high turn over rate of employees. There are retired military individuals working there, who still think they are active duty military. I worked here with a great civilivan supervisor. She retired, and the place really went to the dogs. Everybody trying to supervisor everybody, and nothing getting accomplished. The good employees did not stay long, and the IG stayed in all the organizations, due to complaint filings. So be very careful. Research, Research, Research! I can tell you some personal horror stories about this agency!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ph.D. Ron

74 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Veterans Affairs? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I am convinced that 99% of the jobs that are advertised are filled from within. I have tried for 6 months on a variety of fronts and most of the time, they either never respond or they find some minute red tape reason for accepting the application. I have taken several of their required tests and have aced them all. Still, no interviews or job offers.

Ph.D. Ron

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gee718 in Washington, District of Columbia

74 months ago

I left VA as well as a lot of other people. There was mass incompetency agency-wide. The last I heard, the IG was still cleaning out the agency. If you call, <Edited by Host> listen to the message of Mr. Blair, and as you will see that this position has not been filled. I don't think that VA is in a position to hire now. At one point in time, YRCI (Your Recruiting Company, Inc.) had a contract with VA, as well as Snelling and NSM. Let me do some research and find out who the contractors are with VA. Let me know what kind of position you are interested in, so I can put you in touch with the right person.

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thank you for your assistance, I strongly feel I am blatantly being ignored by hiring officials in VA. I just want in, no matter what. I deserve to be a government employee again.

I am seeking a position in the areas of Procurement, Human Resources, Contract Support and Administrative, GS 7,9,11. I am currently an underpaid contractor with US Treasury as a Admin, Asst comparable to a GS 5.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Michelle Anderson in Addison, Illinois said: I have a Master Degree / Addiction Therapaist how do I get a position in my career realted feild. I have made a many attempts and have not yet suceeded.

Your masters degree should get you a 9 or 11, however, you may have to start as a contractor like so many others. Google govt contractors for Army and apply with them. They are just like headhunters but everyone is happy with the 1 year contract then you may get hired permanent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

afdude in Greenville, New York

72 months ago

Jerome Johnson said: I am a veteran trying to to get any job with the VA. Can anyone help?

Here is my advice to you --- stay motivated!! I also recommend that you apply for "any" job available to you in the VA (a job that interests you). It took me nearly 4 months (and more than 20 job applications) to finally land my GS-7 job here in Albany, NY but --- I LOVE IT!! Remeber, in a year you can move around and possibilities are endless ---- just like you were doing in the Service. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Thank you for the motivation, I have interviewed for GS 6, 7 and set for a GS11 with Navy and VA. I am still not employed as a federal government employee, however, I am returning to continue from the GS7 as my last position, I am tweeking my resume constantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Because you are "Tweaking your Resume"...I wanted to share two things with you real fast; #1. You probably already know this but, Very Important --> Stay away from excessive Military jargon. Many employers (including the VA and other government agencies) hate its use. #2. After your interview, send a Thank-You Card to whoever does your interview. Thank them for the time and meeting with you. Believe it or not, I did this for the position I got now. Many of your friends or competitiors will see this as "Being a kiss-ass" (MINE DID TOO) but honestly IN TODAYS WORLD/MARKET YOU HAVE TO STAND OUT!! Please try this and let me know if it works. Good luck to you and tomorrows future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liveranit in Spring, Texas

66 months ago

I need help .Why Cant My husband get an interview if he is the top 5 referred .we live in spring texas but want to go home to nyc .He gets referred as a VET then knock out of the Box .who can we complain too and is it worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

SAVE ALL AGENCY DOCUMENTATION PERTAINING TO BEING OVERLOOKED BY GOVT AGENCIES AND FILE A CONGRESSIONAL WITH YOUR CONGRESSIONAL STATE REPRESENTATIVES. KEEP ALL AGENCY DOCUMENTATION FOR PROOF TO WIN YOU CASE.

Yes your battle will be well worth the fight. Keep all documentation received from agencies pertaining to the status of your app. Once you have gained more than enough proof that you are definitely being overlooked for positions, go online if need be to fing your House or Senate Representative and write a cover letter with explicit detail to your circumstances regarding federal employment so that we can discuss how to prepare your packet for a congressional investigation as to why your government will not hire you. Congress was establish to assist the public with public issues such as this, beleive me they do work for us. I personally have written Congress and was answered concerning my VA benefits. They work for us because we voted them into office. Also, remember, President Obama said his administration would be held accountable for their actions, hold them to thier duties. Dont drop the ball or you may never land a position with federal government. They look over veterans like myself just like they overlook a bum on the street corner, no difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Michelle Anderson in Addison, Illinois said: I have a Master Degree / Addiction Therapaist how do I get a position in my career realted feild. I have made a many attempts and have not yet suceeded.

SAVE ALL AGENCY DOCUMENTATION PERTAINING TO BEING OVERLOOKED BY GOVT AGENCIES AND FILE A CONGRESSIONAL WITH YOUR CONGRESSIONAL STATE REPRESENTATIVES. KEEP ALL AGENCY DOCUMENTATION FOR PROOF TO WIN YOU CASE.

Yes your battle will be well worth the fight. Keep all documentation received from agencies pertaining to the status of your app. Once you have gained more than enough proof that you are definitely being overlooked for positions, go online if need be to fing your House or Senate Representative and write a cover letter with explicit detail to your circumstances regarding federal employment so that we can discuss how to prepare your packet for a congressional investigation as to why your government will not hire you. Congress was establish to assist the public with public issues such as this, beleive me they do work for us. I personally have written Congress and was answered concerning my VA benefits. They work for us because we voted them into office. Also, remember, President Obama said his administration would be held accountable for their actions, hold them to thier duties. Dont drop the ball or you may never land a position with federal government. They look over veterans like myself just like they overlook a bum on the street corner, no difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Donald McLorie in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I'm a former U.S. Marine Corps (Air Wing Helicopter Crew Chief) VET and I'm very interested in working with VETRANS AFFAIRS.My concerns are how do we provide more and better services for my Military Brothers.
My Professional credentials are in Sales and Marketing.I am versitle and would like the opportunity work in a capacity comensurate to my background with the Vetrans Affairs
Please review my resume.
Sincerely,
Don Mclorie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Ph.D. Ron said: I am convinced that 99% of the jobs that are advertised are filled from within. I have tried for 6 months on a variety of fronts and most of the time, they either never respond or they find some minute red tape reason for accepting the application. I have taken several of their required tests and have aced them all. Still, no interviews or job offers.

Ph.D. Ron

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cosmos in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

For many VA positions you have to submit KSA responses along with your application. KSA questions can be tough to answer for many people. This is one area that I suggest getting professional assistance with. Maybe your KSAs or your resume are holding you back??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

benjamin123 in Macon, Missouri

66 months ago

just applied for a job at va in columbia,mo. i am currently laid off from the railroad. the railroad said it could be 2 months or 2 years before i get called back. i was wondering how good the job security is at the va. i applied for a full time position. i was wondering how much of a raise you get for the first 3 steps that you are there. also wondering how long it would take to hear from the va when the job listing closed on monday jan 26 2009. thank you for your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

As for Job Security --> I beleive you are better working for the VA or any other Government Agency right now in these hard economic times.
I have been working fo rthe VA now for nearly 8 months after Retiring from the Air Force. As for "raises" it all depends on where you start and if there is upward mobility (Google: GS Pay Scale and most web-sites explain the GS Pay Scale in detail). Finally, how long until you hear fro the VA after Close-out; well, that all depends on the VA as well. First, Human Resources has to review ALL APPLICATIONS. Then Human Resources provides all names of qualified Applications to the Management and after they will contact all who qualify via telephone to arrange interviews. Following all interviews they make a selection of (1) Person and HR will contact you (if you are the chosen one) with a job offer. This whole process could be weeks. I interviewed in late April and started in June 08.
I wish you the best of luck --- be patient and be confident; good things will come!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

thanks for your info afdude in greenville,new york.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

You're welcome, please follow up with me when you apply so that we can send your rejection letters to you congressional or house representatives in DC or your state, we have to stop these overlooks on fed jobs NOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I am glad that worked out for you, however, as a veteran, 60% disabled now, I have been grossly overlooked and now looking back I am trying to help others. I will consult congress and the house reps to investigate the procedures of govt agencies overlooking many who are qualified. I have noticed several positions on the board and several persons overlooked. Please continue to share whatever inside info you may discover to help those coming behind you. Thanks again and congrats on your job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Again, keep ALL your correspondence from agencies in which you applied, then, be sure you apply correctly and keep all your documents you applied with. Keep a good papertrail and if you want I will help you to contact your congressional and house reps to see why you were not qualified for the position. It is imparative that you keep all documents pertaining to job application if you want to fight for the right to at least be recognized based on your qualifications, not who you know. Pres. Obama said his administration will be held accountable, so hold him accountable and request explanations of why you were not selected. This is a very important issue for me because I was grossly overlooked as a previous fed empl, vet and now disabled vet and still being looked over, this has got to stop. Laws have been signed to stop this type of foolishness within OUR govt. The govt is for the people and by the people and there is no reason why govt should have all these jobs constantly avail with the job market in such a crisis and no one is policing these agencies. We the people must start to police them and force them to hire not only their family and friends. Keep all documentation and watch your P's and Q's so that you can submit to congress for a inspection of the agency practices concerning all your govt job applications, if you dont you will not have a chance in hell! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I agree, KSA's should be kept in an ongoing word document. If you just stick with a few of the same job titles your KSA's will be somewhat the same subject matter and sometimes worded different. I do not suggest a professional to assist you should be able to answer question concerning the job if your a truly qualified. Writing about your skills should be a task you can handle to get a job. KSA's are worded different but asking the same thing most times. I have held positions in the feds as a secretary, accounting tech, procurement tech, library aid, legal secretary and clerk typist. All these positions have the same or exact questions for each title and I saved the KSA's for over 15 years totaling 35 pages, I would just seek and paste to answer questions and tweek as necessary, lots of work but pays off at the end when you land these jobs. If anyone needs help, let me know, email today, I'll help. By the way, computer crashed, loss those KSA's and working on another 35 page document.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cosmos in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

KSA's are really tough for most people to answer, myself being no exception. of course I know what I did in my positions, but it's tough to express in written form in a professional manner. I did manage to write some pretty good ones (i think) by using professional ksa samples that I found at www.ksadoctor.com/titles.htm. the samples made it easier to start the writing process and showed good examples of how to say what i did. Sorry you lost your 35 pages of KSA's. That must really hurt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hello, thankfully I am gainfully employed now with the feds until retirement and about to get promoted to the 9-11-12 in my field. KSA's are not really a problem for me now because I have been in this field for seven years. However, I am thankful you shared this information and link for me as well as others. My goal is to see all of those unemployed to apply for all these fed positions and gain meaningful, stable employment with benefits. Please keep sharing whatever you have for others. I justed started a non profit home base business, minorities in govt, for all those who find it hard to break the glass ceiling in govt for jobs. Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you, keep looking and keep sharing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

the job i applied for closed on jan 26 and i have not heard anything yet. i called yesterday to follow up on my application but only got the voice mail. i left my info on the voice mail but did not get a call back. i figure i would wait another day to give them time to call me back. the main reason i applied to work for the va is the health benefits. can anyone tell me how good they are for a family of four and how much it cost a month. with the railroad i had united health care and was a good insurance but if i buy it on my own it is over 1400 a month. also want to know why there is a lot of vacancys at the va. i figure if the money is not as high as somewhere else the benefits should want to make someone stay at the va. maybe i have it all wrong. everyone tells me the benefits are good and the job security is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

va called me back yesterday. human resources said they should know the qualified applicants by friday the 13th of feb. human resources told me to call them on that day. human resources advised me to go ahead and apply for other jobs outside the va so thats what i did. i just hope it doesnt turn into a mess starting a new job and then the va wants to interview me. i will choose the va over any job that i have applied for. i just wont feel right starting a job and then turn around and have to quit on them in a short period.

65 months ago

as of feb.20 still have not heard if i have made the first cut. crossing my fingers

65 months ago

benjamin123 -- Go ahead and call HR first thing on Monday. You can say something like "My neighborhood had phone/power outages most of last week and I wanted to be sure that you had not attempted me without success". They will give you an update however; keep in mind ~ they might not of actually made the decision yet. **NOTE** This is not a Guarantee to get the job but; IT COULD HELP --> Did you send them a Thank-You card? Believe it or not, this is a trick that alot of applicants fail to accomplish following any job interview. I actually did do it for the position that I got with the VA last year. BEST OF LUCK AND KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Let me know how things turn out

liveranit in Spring, Texas

65 months ago

I recived a certfied letter on christmas eve stating that i will be interview for a Human resouse job at the VA in NYC .I was estatic after waiting all this time and contacting MS Vasquez the Personel Officer there who never never returns an email or Shows any respect for her position .I was just Notified by letter after waiting all this time for an Interview THE JOBS WERE CANCELLED .I was referred for 3 of them One with 5 vacancies .What can I do or who can I talk to? I want this not to happen to anyone else and i want to make sure the Job did not go to a non veteran or someone They wanted in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Found out today that I have made the first cut. I have not had a interview yet. Human Resources stated that there was two in house personel that wanted the job. She stated that those two will get the interviews and if the service panel feels that one of them is good for the job then that is that. But at the same time if the service panel does not choose the two in house personel then I would get a interview. Human Resources stated that besides the two in house personel there was a handful of other like myself that made the first cut. I am suppose to call Human Resources next week. Well thats all I know at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

You should hold on to all reject letters. Once you have established a pattern of govt telling you you are not qualified, file a complaint with your congressional leader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

You will have to dig into the system and find a person working in her office or above her office. Or you can write a letter to your congressional leader and ask for a status of this type of treatment, what should have been done, and what really happened as far as the announcement. It is public info as to who was hired in that position. They will tell you it was a vet or a person previously laid off in a fed job. You can file a FOIA request thru that agency's FOIA office to find out exactly, by name who was hired. This has been a 15 journey for me, I am now seeking legal counsel to investigate why I am always overlooked as a vet, disabled vet and prior fed service employee. Your work is def cut out but dont give up just save docs and request asst from your congressional leader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Found out today that I did not get the job. The VA hired a inhouse personnel. Which that is how it is suppose to be. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will see if there are any other positions I could apply for.

64 months ago

Really if that was the way is was supposed to be, hiring in house, they would not have opened the vacancy to outside applicants, if you are a veteran and had an interview inquire to see if the selected applicant was a veteran, if not,then you were also dooped for that position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jagman298 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I understand what your saying, but I've applied for over 5,000 federal positions including the VA and no one will hire me. I was a Paralegal in the Navy for 15 years and have 4 college degrees, one of those being a MS in Management with an emphasis in Human Resources. I just don't understand why the VA won't hire me oh and I am also an 80% disabled veteran. I always ask for feedback from the VA and they always say that I interview extremely well, but never a job offer. This simply doesn't make any sense. I'm about ready to give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SportsCarGuy in St. Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

I work as an addiction therapist for the Veterans Administration in St. Louis. Love the job, the vets, my coworkers. A year ago I got on the Federal website, USAjobs, filled out one application and saved it, used it to apply to probably 60 jobs in 6 months. Had 10 interviews, all by telephone. Hired in September 08, started December 08. Have 30 plus years experience and a Masters plus two years on a Ph.D. Well worth the effort to get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Well SportsCar Guy I have done all of those things you mention in your posting, I have 5 degrees, 15 years of legal/administrative experieince and experience working in HR and the VA won't even hire me as a GS-5 secretary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

You need to write a letter to your senator or congressional leaders to do an investigation. YOu have six months from the agency employment denial to file a complaint with VA for disab vets but your congressional leaders can investigate. I had the same problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Angela thank you for your response. I have written probably over 1,000 to 2,000 letters to various memebers of congress and the us senate pertaining to this very matter and have received no results. Why do I do now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Jagman298 my friend --> you stated "I have written probably over 1,000 to 2,000 letters to various memebers of congress and the us senate"... STOP There!! Take this course of action. Write only to YOUR OWN CONGRESSMAN and NOW get another agency involved (i.e. American Legion, VFW, etc.). That is why these agencies are here -- to help the Servicemen & Servicewomen. I am an American Legion County Commander in New York and believe me --- we have a VA Representative assigned in each of our Posts. These agencies will help you fight the red-tape along with the Congressman. One other piece of valuable information -- DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!(Names, dates & times). Let me know the outcome --- which should be soon if you continue to PUSH THE ISSUE!!!!! Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Afdude I fully hear what your saying, but as I must say I have contacted both Senator Specter and Senator Casey of Pennsylvania as well as a congressman in my district and everything I say falls on deaf ears. Of course the representatives for both senators that are assigned to their local offices play the little games and launch their inquiries and everything always comes back that the VA hiring officials did nothing wrong. The problem with this scenario is that how can there be so many people at the Erie VA hospital for example more qualified than myself. I have been applying for the same positions at the Erie VA since January 2006 and they always say I interview extremely well, but unfortunately there's someone better. This is the stuff I'm talking about there aren't that many disabled veterans out there with two graduate degrees, a bachelors degree and two associate degrees, plus two graudate certificates and 15 years of legal/administrative experience. I have honestly tried to use my public officials for help, but I get nothing. What do I do now? Do I just keep writing letters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.