What's the company culture at Walgreens?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Walgreens?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Walgreens?

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Roselle, Illinois

86 months ago

If you're a cashier be prepared to spend time on the dreaded main register. And if you're lucky and your store sells cigarettes be prepared to deal with the not-so-interpersonal-skilled cigarette users. Make sure you get your half hour lunch and fifteen minute break by ringing a manager or grabbing a coworker to cover you. If you work over 8 hours you get an additional break. In regards to culture, it really depends on the manager. I worked at a store who had small turnover rate and a great manager. However once he left the company retention rate skyrocketed. I remember going away to college my first year and coming back to work during the winter and hardly noticed any familiar faces (including assistant managers too). Again, everything depends on your store manager and or how hard the district manager is breathing down the managers' neck. A great place to work if you get a good manager who understands how horrible it really is to work at the bottom of the retail chain and tries to mix things up a bit to help out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Roselle, Illinois

86 months ago

Joe in Roselle, Illinois said: If you're a cashier be prepared to spend time on the dreaded main register. And if you're lucky and your store sells cigarettes be prepared to deal with the not-so-interpersonal-skilled cigarette users. Make sure you get your half hour lunch and fifteen minute break by ringing a manager or grabbing a coworker to cover you. If you work over 8 hours you get an additional break. In regards to culture, it really depends on the manager. I worked at a store who had small turnover rate and a great manager. However once he left the company retention rate skyrocketed. I remember going away to college my first year and coming back to work during the winter and hardly noticed any familiar faces (including assistant managers too). Again, everything depends on your store manager and or how hard the district manager is breathing down the managers' neck. A great place to work if you get a good manager who understands how horrible it really is to work at the bottom of the retail chain and tries to mix things up a bit to help out.

Forgot to mention one pet peeve: Walgreen's "professional" dress code is ridiculous for a retail store-- dress shirt, tie, dress pants, dress shoes for the men. You can't move around in nice clothes, especially when you have a very uncomfortable tie. If Walgreens decides to go business casual I think it'd help those who especially work the floor. Ladies have it a bit more easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Huey Lewis in Birds Landing, California

85 months ago

Similar to Becky, I worked at corporate for 10 years as well. At a high level the company makes great decisions on how to run their business. I still own stock in the company and have done well. As a career, it's very difficult to move up the ladder.
It can be frustrating if you are ambitious and want to get ahead. It's great if you are looking for a stable job.
I do remember Betty coming on the intercom each day telling us it was 4:30 and to "have a pleasant evening". Think about it, have you ever been at a company where they assume you're leaving work at 4:30??? I am lucky to get out at 5:30!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Will

36 months ago

Joe in Roselle, Illinois said: If you're a cashier be prepared to spend time on the dreaded main register. And if you're lucky and your store sells cigarettes be prepared to deal with the not-so-interpersonal-skilled cigarette users. Make sure you get your half hour lunch and fifteen minute break by ringing a manager or grabbing a coworker to cover you. If you work over 8 hours you get an additional break. In regards to culture, it really depends on the manager. I worked at a store who had small turnover rate and a great manager. However once he left the company retention rate skyrocketed. I remember going away to college my first year and coming back to work during the winter and hardly noticed any familiar faces (including assistant managers too). Again, everything depends on your store manager and or how hard the district manager is breathing down the managers' neck. A great place to work if you get a good manager who understands how horrible it really is to work at the bottom of the retail chain and tries to mix things up a bit to help out.

I think you ment to say the retention rate plummeted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin F in Bloomington, Illinois

25 months ago

Joe in Roselle, Illinois said: If you're a cashier be prepared to spend time on the dreaded main register. And if you're lucky and your store sells cigarettes be prepared to deal with the not-so-interpersonal-skilled cigarette users. Make sure you get your half hour lunch and fifteen minute break by ringing a manager or grabbing a coworker to cover you. If you work over 8 hours you get an additional break.

This much is soo soo true. I hated using the dreaded main register all the damn time. :/ I don't miss retail or Walgreens at all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.