What do you think constitutes a good company?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

J. Smith in Fort Worth, Texas

86 months ago

I hear some of the same comments from a lot of employees who work at various companies and they all seem to be having some of the same problems so i believe its much more widespread than we know. Much more widespread than Waste Mgt. You just do the best you can wherever you work and if you are treated badly you go on down the road i suppose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Bowie, Maryland

85 months ago

see below said: Sad to say...seems like many big companies don't really care about people once you are in with them. I pretty much believe that if you want to be happy at work, start your own business and stick it out. I just left "a major do-it yourself moving company" and it is the same here...people are not valuable to big companies anymore. Job security is a thing of the past.

Sadly this is very true. Its all about the bottom line and unfortunatly very few people can't be replaced. No disrespect intended, but companies always feel that they can find someone else to do the job if you can't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

84 months ago

If companies do not value good employees-then employees do not value the compnay. It goes hand in hand. Gone are teh days when employees took personal pride in working for X company and gave it thier most, why should they when they are not valued by these big corporations. Many of these coprs complain about so few quality workers, do they have to wonder why. Sowing and reaping is the law of the universe. You sow seeds of not caring for employees, what crop do you expect to bloom ? You plant corn you don't green beans, you ger corn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

84 months ago

(cont'd)

I have personally seen many cases where if I go on a job and try to work faster or do a better job, all the others tell me to slow down because I will set a precedence and the company will expect that from everyone.

The truth of the matter is that if I am able to do the work better or faster, then then the company has every right to expect that of everyone and there are plenty more like me out there.

If you can't keep up the pace, then you don't belong in that job. It is a simple as that. A business is a machine and you are a part of a machine when you are at work. If that causes you to feel bad, all you have to do is go start a business for yourself and you will see first hand what it takes to keep everything running smoothly and to make a profit and stay in business.

Finding yourself in the role of a machine isn't a horrible thing. Your heart right now is pumping for all it's worth and no one can propose that it should take a rest, a break, or the day off. You basically ARE a machine - a biological machine.

At work, you must act like one in order to survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky

84 months ago

Charlie I know where you are coming from, but you really would have to be at the Frankfort location to understand just how bad things are there for these guys. A human being can do what their body will allow for a certain amount of time then it begans to wear and tear from overuse and abuse. There has to be a time when you have to say ok, we have this many more customers, maybe we should hire a driver and a truck to a route, or it is awfully hot today we need to have additional help come in to lessen the load and make it easier on these guys through this hot spell. Are you getting the picture? Allied does not do this, there is no seeing te big picture it's just do more, faster, safer, and if your route time is affected, then you better have a reason as to why. I agree with you, when push comes to shove that is where you find your real workers, they either make it or they don't, we all have a driver or two, that we have to discuss things with on occassion to give them that extra boost becasue everyone else gets tired of pulling their load day after day, but when you expect so much from your best workers everyday and put more off on them day after day with no relief in sight, then eventually your going to be hiring a driver to replace him, and in the process moreale is going to decline badly because me as a supervisor stood by, watched and did nothing, and that's what Allied is good at, standing by watching and doing nothing, and the people who do try to do what is right get's the boot or is outcast. Teamwork, morale, dedication, understanding, that is a good working environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

continued: You can have all of the above mixed in with knowing how to maintain the financial status of the company and make a profit, just don't blind side others to do so. Be informative and attentive to workers, when they bring a problem to you, take care of it and give them an answer and if you can't get an answer now keep them informed untill you do, don't put them off. No you can't run a company on emotions and I didn't, Case in point, a driver who has been with the company for 20 something years, had 3 dumpsters that he said were not safe to pull, he went to his immediate supervisor and management, they allegedaly went to these locations and deemed them safe, the driver wasa very upset so he called me, I took my camera and I followed this driver on route,I took pictures as he was entering the site, dumping the boxing and exiting, he was almost involved in an accident while he was pulling one of these boxes, I submitted the pictures to the district manager since the other supervisor and site manager and general manager said they were safe, shortly upon recieveing my pictures the district manager had service stopped. The drivers seem to think that is the starting point of me loosing my job, and I think they were right. But what was I supposed to do charlie? not listen, or take the time to check these containers, I couldn't I followed through with things the way things needed to be done when the driver first made the complaint and it cost me my job, but if it saved this driver or anyone in public from getting seriously injured or killed, then so be it. It just showed me the kind of company that Allied is, get it now>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Wow, that was pretty low charlie, but of course unless you see the whole picture you wouldn't understand. Yes I may have avoided an accident, but if you have a person who has good judgement and doesn't like an idiot, why shouldn't I take him at his word and follow through, it was apparent that management did not follow through and when it was brought to my attention then it became my job to investigate, and unlike others, possibly yourself, I do investigate situations before coming to a conculsion so therefore I know exactly what I am talking about when asked and not assuming, you know what assume means don't ya charlie? you sound like a company man yourself, who speaks as though he don't have any common sense what so ever, You must be a sad person or one with no consious, maybe one day you will open your eyes but hopefully not at someone else's expense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: if you have a person who has good judgement and doesn't like an idiot, why shouldn't I take him at his word and follow through,

Simply because as a supervisor you are a part of management. The correct course, if you had concerns, is to contact upper management and ask them to clarify their decision but for subordinates, you must present the same page of music to the workers. To do otherwise is damaging the management's ability to control the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: Wow, that was pretty low charlie, ....you know what assume means don't ya charlie? you sound like a company man yourself, who speaks as though he don't have any common sense what so ever, You must be a sad person or one with no consious, maybe one day you will open your eyes but hopefully not at someone else's expense.

I find it interesting that my disparaging remark about you as a woman is stricken from the record yet your remark implying I am an ASSume is allowed to remain. I have plenty of common sense and a conscious. It is simply a fact that business is NOT an emotional thing, it is a business.

Yes, I am a company man. I have owned three of them in my lifetime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

That course of action was followed charlie about 2 months prior to the driver bringing it directly to my attention, but don't forget charlie, I am a woman, and as you stated when you voiced your opinion that I probably did not belong in that position with that company and I was being emotional. please charlie, I'm by no means stupid, wake up, this is the modern times and women are working in all areas of the workforce it would just make it easier if everyone could work together, you know teamwork, and by the way charlie I have not met a man yet that could intimidate me and I would never intimidate them. Goodluck charlie I would say that it has been a pleasure, but it hasn't. It has been an interesting one though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: I am a woman, and as you stated when you voiced your opinion that I probably did not belong in that position with that company and I was being emotional.

Oh now this is rich. You can say the same thing and repeat my words but because I am a man I cannot say it and it gets erased???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: ...it would just make it easier if everyone could work together, you know teamwork,

Exactly my point. If you worked together with the management team instead of trying to mother the drivers and intercede for them with management you might still have your job. It was not your place to go against management. Things like that is what got you in dutch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Assume charlie, assume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

charlie? have you ever heard of being sarcastic, that is why I repeated what you said, read between the lines charlie. Thata was a duh on you

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: charlie? have you ever heard of being sarcastic, that is why I repeated what you said, read between the lines charlie. Thata was a duh on you

Sarcasm is not easily pulled off even in face to face communication. To attempt it when you do not have the eloquence to make it clear is just stupidity.

What you are dong now is personally attacking my opinion and this has been noted to the Host as a complaint.

I am free to assume anything I wish. If you do not like my assumptions, then tell us all why you lost the job?

I will restate my opinion since you think is okay to use the excuse of sarcasm to veil an attack...

I know of lots of very feminine women who just have had as their hearts desire to become a garbage man. Ever since they smelled that wonderful aroma of rotting food, they gave up their dollies and went for the goal of tossing around the remains of yesterday's meal.

Many of these friends of mine just seemed so sexy to me when I would see them on the street wearing their soiled clothing and one was the best woman I ever knew. She managed to become a supervisor at the largest garbage company in the country. She had several garbage been under her (she enjoyed being on top, you know).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Oh. Did I make some typos?

I know of lots of very feminine women who just have had as their hearts desire to become a garbage man. Ever since they smelled that wonderful aroma of rotting food, they gave up their dollies and went for the goal of tossing around the remains of yesterday's meal.

Many of these friends of mine just seemed so attractive to me when I would see them on the street wearing their soiled clothing and one was the best woman I ever knew. She managed to become a supervisor at the largest garbage company in the country. She had several garbage men under her (she enjoyed being on top, you know).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

That is so funny charlie, but you know I have worked several different jobs before I began managing (which I have for 7 years) I never said throwing trash was a pleasure, but it paid the bills and provided well for my family, there really are some very good people that work in the trash business, hard workers that really have some value in life and appreaciate what they have, do you charlie? do you appreaciate your family, and the things you have acquired through life? do you appreaciate the people who hard there behinds off daily to keep you in the position your in now? From your readings I would say not. But on the humurous side of things, I did get a chuckle out of your reading, thanks, except for one thing I worked my way up charlie old boy!!

84 months ago

Charlie I do not have to explain to you why I lost my job,but it wasn't from lack of full filling my duties, watch the news, read the papers, give ear to any lawsuits you might catch on a glance. I feel sorry for you charlie, you are a sad individual(get it sorry charlie!! couldn't help myself). Anyway enough is enough I have more important things to do I really can't understand why I even waste my time responding back to you. Good evening charlie and GOODBYE

84 months ago

Theresa in Richmond, Kentucky said: I have worked several different jobs before I began managing (which I have for 7 years) I never said throwing trash was a pleasure, but it paid the bills and provided well for my family, there really are some very good people that work in the trash business, hard workers that really have some value in life and appreaciate what they have, do you charlie? do you appreaciate your family, and the things you have acquired through life? do you appreaciate the people who hard there behinds off daily to keep you in the position your in now? From your readings I would say not. But on the humurous side of things, I did get a chuckle out of your reading, thanks, except for one thing I worked my way up charlie old boy!!

Interesting. You say you have been in a management position for seven years yet have not learned how to break yourself away from the working class? You can't play on both teams. You are either upstairs or downstairs.

I discussed this conversation with a friend of mine today at work (female, intelligent and about 25 years old) her reaction was that you were a fool to go out and get involved in the incident in the first place when if you were management you could have avoided a ridiculous situation. She said, "What? This woman actually went out on a garbage route to see what the situation was?" She laughed at you. But then she is slated to be the CEO someday of the company that her father owns.

As for appreciating what I have, I have no reason to do so. People and things are so easily had that they are really virtually worthless when it comes down to it. There is nothing that any one person can do that another cannot do just as well. When someone disappoints me, I get rid of them and find someone who can do the job.

You will love this humor... I have to stop writing now. I have to take the garbage out to the street. Thanks for reminding me. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. George in Farmington, Michigan

84 months ago

Theresa,
I hear wher you're coming from and upper management (cya) takes care of their own only and are concerned only of their bonuses and end profits. Subordinates' toil/pain are mandatory!
Poor Charlie said it, "he's an A**hole."

Theresa in Lexington, Kentucky

84 months ago

Yes he is

no name

84 months ago

I used to work for WTI/waste management. It's true about what you said job security is something of the past. This position I am very familiar with and this company tries to let you do 3 jobs with one pay. the bonuses are horrible and Wouldn't you know I am one of the 14 administrative assistance that just got laid off from this particular company. I have been in this company for more than 10 years. Along with myself and the other 13 they eliminated tons of other position and still ongoing. Just be aware of this company.

Theresa in Winchester, Kentucky

84 months ago

I am sorry about the loss of your job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick Bryant in Dallas, Texas

84 months ago

A large minority (somewhere around 40%) of people holding CISSP or CISA certs work as independent consultants/contractors. I think this is in large part because people in audit and/or security are treated so poorly as employees.

You see it when you arrive at a new client site and your briefing includes a derogatory tirade about how inept their employees are. Invariably, you later discover that all your recommendations have already been requested by their own people - but ignored by upper management. So there I am, practically the identical twin of the guy they already have on staff, saying the same things he's been saying, and the only difference between us is: I make 50 to 100% more than him. But they listen to me where they don't listen to him!

Familiarity really does breed contempt.

If one has drive and talent, one eventually realizes that there's no future in working for somebody else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry L in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

And that is exactly the problem with American business today, management's attitude that you're either upstairs or downstairs, they're not supposed to relate to the people who do the actual work. This is a prime example of how our economy is changing to a class of haves and have nots. Those in management positions think nothing of the "working class", just how can they get more for themselves. They will trample all over the workers just to save themselves. I thought it was great that Theresa actually bothered to go find out for herself about a problem, it's too bad she was penalized so heavily for it. Just shows that mgmt types really don't want to hear about anybody's problems. I have an interview for this company next week (in accounts receivable), after reading these posts, I am very hesitant to go through with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry L in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: Interesting. You say you have been in a management position for seven years yet have not learned how to break yourself away from the working class? You can't play on both teams. You are either upstairs or downstairs.

I discussed this conversation with a friend of mine today at work (female, intelligent and about 25 years old) her reaction was that you were a fool to go out and get involved in the incident in the first place when if you were management you could have avoided a ridiculous situation. She said, "What? This woman actually went out on a garbage route to see what the situation was?" She laughed at you. But then she is slated to be the CEO someday of the company that her father owns.

As for appreciating what I have, I have no reason to do so. People and things are so easily had that they are really virtually worthless when it comes down to it. There is nothing that any one person can do that another cannot do just as well. When someone disappoints me, I get rid of them and find someone who can do the job.

You will love this humor... I have to stop writing now. I have to take the garbage out to the street. Thanks for reminding me. :)

And by the way Charlie, you're obviously oblivious to how the country works, and think that you actually have some kind of "better" position in society just because you're in a management job. Remember, all those managers at fast food joints, big box stores, convenience stores, etc, they're on the same level as you (by your calculations). How do you treat them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe snook in Glastonbury, Connecticut

52 months ago

Here is my take on surviving at almost any given company.

Working hard, multiple degrees, not taking vacations, working unpaid overtime will not save your job.

What saves peoples jobs are connections. I have met more than one incompetent dolt that spends their day shuffling papers and going to meetings and basically not doing anything, but they have friends in high places.

My old company had a posting for a job. It had a long laundry list of must have. I had all those skills plus some more but a connected person got the job just based on friendships he made.

When you start a new job you have to find friends. But you have to be careful on who you pick. Some of them may do nothing for you. If you align yourself with one powerful group and they all leave then, you could/will lose your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

44 months ago

no name said: I used to work for WTI/waste management. It's true about what you said job security is something of the past. This position I am very familiar with and this company tries to let you do 3 jobs with one pay. the bonuses are horrible and Wouldn't you know I am one of the 14 administrative assistance that just got laid off from this particular company. I have been in this company for more than 10 years. Along with myself and the other 13 they eliminated tons of other position and still ongoing. Just be aware of this company.

They do this frequently. Especially to make 4th QTR figures look good for Wall Street. Lay off folks, disrupt lives, "restructure" positions only to rehire and recreate some of those same jobs further down the road. Which means of course they can rehire at lower salaries, bring in friends of supervisor's and managers etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.