getting hired

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina

124 months ago

I went to an interview with wm.I called to get my poc when I arrived and was told via phone that they(wm) would know who I was there to see and when I arrived just as I figured they asked me who I was supposed to see? Any way one of the main guys told me my resume was pretty impressive and when I actually got into the interview the gentleman told me they weren't actually hiring(go figure)then why do you even have a position listed for gq if I was over qualified then just say so and I'll go find a real shop that knows how to use my expertise.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

123 months ago

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina said: I went to an interview with wm.I called to get my poc when I arrived and was told via phone that they(wm) would know who I was there to see and when I arrived just as I figured they asked me who I was supposed to see? Any way one of the main guys told me my resume was pretty impressive and when I actually got into the interview the gentleman told me they weren't actually hiring(go figure)then why do you even have a position listed for gq if I was over qualified then just say so and I'll go find a real shop that knows how to use my expertise.

I had an appointment with WM not long ago. I took a day off from work, then WM called and left a message a day before my interview to tell me they made a mistake and had to reschedule. I never called them back.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Mocksville, North Carolina

123 months ago

Good job, I wouldn't give them the time of day either.For such a BIG company they sure don't seem to be "with" it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

James in Douglasville, Georgia

123 months ago

After 2 years of attempting to meet with anyone I finally got an interview. When I arrived 20 minutes early, the receptionist seemed dumbfounded. She had good reason because the human resources manager had no knowledge of my interview. They were not hiring for the position I had been screened 2 months prior. When initially screened I was told the interview was 200 miles from the actual job location. This was incorrect and I did not go to the erroneous interview location. They use a 3rd party recruiting service who appears to be totally incompetent. I called this service to express my dissatisfaction and to delete any profiles and/or applications. I have worked for enough dysfunctional organizations in my life.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Pat McDowell in Kenosha, Wisconsin

122 months ago

I have experience with both the hiring procedures and HR personnel @ WM. They should change their name to Wasted Management. What a joke for being a fortune 200 company.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mike in Westland, Michigan

122 months ago

i went for a interview at wm and never got a call back.boy i tank there just picky who they hire.but they dont pay good.so y be so pick.i wouldnt want to work for a company like that.they can stick it up there ass.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan

97 months ago

I just had a wonderful experience (NOT!) with Waste Management. I applied for their Inside Sales Rep position and received a call for an interview. After my interview with their HR person, she asked me if I had time to stay for an additional interview. I told her "yes" so she sent me into a conference room with two other women who took turns firing off interview questions at me. Afterwards, they said they'd give me a call in about a week. The HR woman called back before the week was up, asked me if I'd come in again for another interview with the head of the department. I said of course. When I got there, I was placed in a conference room and was interviewed by two different people: the supervisor of the department I was applying for and her supervisor. They proceeded to ask questions for about an hour, each taking turns. When the guy finished all his questions, he turned over the sheet he was reading from, pulled out his Iphone & started texting on it - while I was answering his last question. The woman was checking her watch in between writing down my answers. That was two weeks ago. I got this in my email today:

Dear ___,

We appreciate your interest in joining Waste Management. However, after a review of your submission information we have concluded that we will not be continuing the recruiting process with you. As a result, at this time you are no longer being considered for the position. If you have applied to multiple positions with us please use the "workbench" tab on our career site to determine which position this email applies.

We also encourage you to continue to visit our careers page at www.wm.com and apply for current and future positions.

We wish you success in your career endeavors.

Sincerely,

Waste Management Recruiting

I'm glad I'm not working for them. If they treat prospective employees like this, imagine how they treat their employees!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jrm5204 in Essington, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

Sounds like they used you for training.

They were posting the same position in my area over and over for months not long ago. I had a telephone interview, got a e-mail said they chose someone else, but they kept posting the same job. I even seen it posted on Craigslist one time. I guess they were collecting resumes and practicing interviewing people for a job they were not really offering.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan

97 months ago

Jrm5204 in Essington, Pennsylvania said: Sounds like they used you for training.

They were posting the same position in my area over and over for months not long ago. I had a telephone interview, got a e-mail said they chose someone else, but they kept posting the same job. I even seen it posted on Craigslist one time. I guess they were collecting resumes and practicing interviewing people for a job they were not really offering.

You know, you might be right. Right after I got that email this morning, I found that same position still advertised on the site I found it at. I find that interesting because training was supposed to start this past Monday.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Pinehurst, North Carolina

97 months ago

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan said: You know, you might be right. Right after I got that email this morning, I found that same position still advertised on the site I found it at. I find that interesting because training was supposed to start this past Monday.

Stay away from WM. The reason you always see ads for the same positions is because all they do is use you, burn you, dump you and then replace you. I have worked for WM for approx a year and they are terrible. The District Manager and Route Manager only care about their bonus. They acheive this by keeping their overhead low. This is done by not providing the proper safety equipment and not hiring the much needed people.

If you have ever worked in the transportation field then you know that unless you have been a driver or helper, you can not be a good manager. These jokers have never been a driver or a driver helper yet they assume that if it looks good on paper then it will work in the field.

I do not know how the rest of the company works but if it is being ran like the Sanford and Pinebluff NC. sites are ran then I would STAY AWAY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Roy Boy in Canada in Toronto, Ontario

71 months ago

Originally sent October 7th, 2011
To: Waste Management,

Roughly 20 days ago, I received a call from your online recruiting office in regards to the Waste Management Tire Technician posting in Stony Creek, Ontario. Your online recruiter (A) was very pleasant and professional in regards to the pre-recruitment phone call. During this phone call, recruiter (A) asked me some preliminary questions regarding medical, driver’s status, and professional credentials regarding the above position. What’s more, after I had answered all of her questions in full she informed me that I would be moving on to the next phase of the recruiting process. She then told me that a recruiter from Waste Management would be calling to do a follow up regarding my application.

After about 14 days with no follow up phone call, I began to think that my application had been over looked or something? I called recruiter (A) back to let her know that I had not received a follow up call as of yet. In a professional manner, her reply was that the recruitment office was backed up and that it may take an additional week to get back to me. She ended by saying “If you don’t hear back from us by Friday call me and I’ll look into it”. Today is Friday October 7th; I just called recruiter (A) back she informed me that the job had been filled.

It is of my opinion that the Waste Management recruitment process is flawed and non transparent. I’m very offended that I was not allowed do process in regards to the position. I’m sorry that I wasted my time applying and answering questions…I’ll be sure to spread the word about your recruitment scheme with my fellow tire mechanics and fellow truck drivers.

Yours truly,
R Morency

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

Roy Boy in Canada in Toronto, Ontario said: Originally sent October 7th, 2011
To: Waste Management,

Roughly 20 days ago, I received a call from your online recruiting office in regards to the Waste Management Tire Technician posting in Stony Creek, Ontario. Your online recruiter (A) was very pleasant and professional in regards to the pre-recruitment phone call. During this phone call, recruiter (A) asked me some preliminary questions regarding medical, driver ’s status, and professional credentials regarding the above position. What’s more, after I had answered all of her questions in full she informed me that I would be moving on to the next phase of the recruiting process. She then told me that a recruiter from Waste Management would be calling to do a follow up regarding my application.

After about 14 days with no follow up phone call, I began to think that my application had been over looked or something? I called recruiter (A) back to let her know that I had not received a follow up call as of yet. In a professional manner, her reply was that the recruitment office was backed up and that it may take an additional week to get back to me. She ended by saying “If you don’t hear back from us by Friday call me and I’ll look into it”. Today is Friday October 7th; I just called recruiter (A) back she informed me that the job had been filled.

It is of my opinion that the Waste Management recruitment process is flawed and non transparent. I’m very offended that I was not allowed do process in regards to the position. I’m sorry that I wasted my time applying and answering questions…I’ll be sure to spread the word about your recruitment scheme with my fellow tire mechanics and fellow truck drivers .

Yours truly,
R Morency

they probably gave the job to a friend of someone who works there- integrity ain't their finest attribute

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

Ray in Pinehurst, North Carolina said: Stay away from WM. The reason you always see ads for the same positions is because all they do is use you, burn you, dump you and then replace you. I have worked for WM for approx a year and they are terrible. The District Manager and Route Manager only care about their bonus. They acheive this by keeping their overhead low. This is done by not providing the proper safety equipment and not hiring the much needed people.

If you have ever worked in the transportation field then you know that unless you have been a driver or helper , you can not be a good manager. These jokers have never been a driver or a driver helper yet they assume that if it looks good on paper then it will work in the field.

I do not know how the rest of the company works but if it is being ran like the Sanford and Pinebluff NC. sites are ran then I would STAY AWAY!!!!

In the good ole days (burgundy trucks) WM's managers (even the GM) , OPS manager, route manager and even dispatcher were all seasoned guys who had at one time been driver's and even drove routes when the Union went on strike, these guys had garbage in their veins and loved the business and cared about it...long gone are those days. WM long ago sold its soul to Wall Street and the Q4 report, now college boys run the show and it doesn't matter if your degree is in business or some liberal arts crap like humanities, know it alls who know nothing of any real import to the job they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan said:
Dear ___,

We appreciate your interest in joining Waste Management. However, after a review of your submission information we have concluded that we will not be continuing the recruiting process with you. As a result, at this time you are no longer being considered for the position. If you have applied to multiple positions with us please use the "workbench" tab on our career site to determine which position this email applies.

We also encourage you to continue to visit our careers page at www.wm.com and apply for current and future positions.

We wish you success in your career endeavors.

Sincerely,

Waste Management Recruiting

I'm glad I'm not working for them. If they treat prospective employees like this, imagine how they treat their employees!

wow-what a brusque, arrogantly worded response. Most companies simply say " Thank you for seeking employment with XYZ company but we have selected another qualified candidate for the position. We appreciate the time you spent with us in the interview process and we wish you the best in your future endeavors. " Period. Who the h*ll is running their HR processes...why antagonize people and make a bad reputation for the company-which posts here prove is happening.Very unwise business practices.
you are correct it seems you are a meaningless number prior to employment and you will remain that way if they hire you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Matawan, New Jersey

45 months ago

i was shocked to find this comment list. my story - to keep it simple i too have applied for a position with no success and have bit my tongue to apply for a lower ranking job. amazingly my complete app and flawless resume and all their supporting forms were submitted properly with NO success. i received a "not selected" email approximately a week afterward. i just went on their website and two other job search engines and there it is a brand new posting for the same job i applied for! please take some truthful advice and stay away unless you are limited to opportunities in your local area. thank goodness i have a job and there is unlimited ways to earn money near me. WM get it together! good luck folks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

saenzmarvin72@*****.*** in Pasadena, Texas

39 months ago

I think waste management is a good company they traine you for the job you are expected to do I think is a good company to start the career .

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

t.thomaselli@*****.*** in El Cajon, California

39 months ago

saenzmarvin72@gmail.com in Pasadena, Texas said: I think waste management is a good company they traine you for the job you are expected to do I think is a good company to start the career .

WM is a super company to work for. I worked for them for 5 years,
and very much miss that position and the people. Perks were good
too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

wmlies in erie, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Wm is a bad place. Stay away

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Tigerman12 in East Orange, New Jersey

38 months ago

I have read several of these experiences with Waste Management and none of them sound like a solid employment and I called Waste Management in which a recruiter told me that their still making a selection for the position in Newark, New Jersey and I should be looking out for a phone call or email from them and that was told to me on June 27,2014 and I reapplied to the Newark driver's job so I hope that I receive the commercial driver's job and Newark has about 75% felony criminals in which I'm from Union, New Jersey with no criminal records nor points on his CDL WM should hire me and I'm dedicated too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Zeke in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

saenzmarvin72@gmail.com in Pasadena, Texas said: I think waste management is a good company they traine you for the job you are expected to do I think is a good company to start the career .

How long did it take you to get hired an do they expect misdemeanors for the roll back position

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

josephfranklin in Calumet City, Illinois

17 months ago

I have been trying to get in to W.M for about a year in a half I am a certified heavy equipment operator put in to application have not heard a peep does anyone have a backup plan for me let me no thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

bing90 in Sammamish, Washington

10 months ago

I just put in an application and I was turned down but I have been trying to find out why and I cant seem to get any answers out of them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd G in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

8 months ago

Pat McDowell in Kenosha, Wisconsin said: I have experience with both the hiring procedures and HR personnel @ WM. They should change their name to Wasted Management. What a joke for being a fortune 200 company.

Fortune 250. You must be the one everyone is complaining about, lol. Don't get me wrong it took quite awhile from the setup of my interview to my actual start date. However at the interview the manager and 2nd shift supervisor warned me of the overwhelming process. For me well worth it. I'm sure it weeds a lot of people out the door, but the determined survive. This is most likely why the reputation of Wm made a complete turn around. If other locations could be as passionate as the Germantown, WI MRF my stocks will be in great shape rather then good shape. Sorry it didn't work out for you guys. All I can say is if you want a career with a great company that got those backs of the ones determined. Don't stop your fight here keep going for it. It's well worth it. I am a heavy equipment operator I never been so enthusiastic about life as I have been since starting at Waste Management. Great things don't come easy. Besides there is a new CEO and he has been doing a great job. Can't wait to see what's in store for the future of the company and my shareholdings.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd G in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

8 months ago

Jess in Sacramento, California said: wow-what a brusque, arrogantly worded response. Most companies simply say " Thank you for seeking employment with XYZ company but we have selected another qualified candidate for the position. We appreciate the time you spent with us in the interview process and we wish you the best in your future endeavors. " Period. Who the h*ll is running their HR processes...why antagonize people and make a bad reputation for the company-which posts here prove is happening.Very unwise business practices.
you are correct it seems you are a meaningless number prior to employment and you will remain that way if they hire you.

I'm not sure who wrote that return response. I got the same one. It took me back as well. However once clicking out of that email and checking through the rest of my new emails the very next one was from the talent recruiter saying that my application benefits the heavy equipment operator position and that he encourages me to apply then give him a call once doing so. I did so, got the interview. They seem to really like me during the interview. Told me it could take up to 3 weeks for human resources to offer me the position. That one's day decide they like a candidate it is out of their hands from their. I got the call from Human Resources offering me the position for days later. From there it took another week to fill out all the electronic paperwork, drug test, physical. Then I got a call telling me my official start date and that I was do at orientation and safety training three or four days later which was one state over. 4 day Adventure total. Quite an ordeal however My first check completely reimbursed all my travel expenses, wear and tear on my vehicle, and drive time at pay rate. As far as the hotel and food that was paid for upfront by Wm. Since then I have been known to be an outstanding employee. I've been very satisfied with Wm since becoming an employee. Don't be discouraged

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mccarthy in Chicago, Illinois

3 months ago

3 months since filling out the application. 4 interviews later....and as of this morning i am told they are still deciding!?!? I am going for an entry level dispatch position making 17 an hour....not the frackin ceo job!! 3 month process is over kill...to drawn out...just ridiculous. Never waited this long for a job....very frustrated

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bamboobiscuit in Chico, California

1 month ago

I applied 3 times ,did 3 phone iterviews and 3 face to face iterviews and finally got hired in Chico CA start orientation in Reno Sept 5th it was well worth it the benefits are fantastic the people are great and they are a VERY safety oriented company the pay is good as well. The first time I got turned down I had no experience so I went and got some at a smaller company and here I am. It also helps if you dress nicely for the interviews (slacks ,Dress shoes , button down shirt , Tie , shave) The onboarding process is daunting but it is well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.