getting hired

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina

91 months ago

I went to an interview with wm.I called to get my poc when I arrived and was told via phone that they(wm) would know who I was there to see and when I arrived just as I figured they asked me who I was supposed to see? Any way one of the main guys told me my resume was pretty impressive and when I actually got into the interview the gentleman told me they weren't actually hiring(go figure)then why do you even have a position listed for gq if I was over qualified then just say so and I'll go find a real shop that knows how to use my expertise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina said: I went to an interview with wm.I called to get my poc when I arrived and was told via phone that they(wm) would know who I was there to see and when I arrived just as I figured they asked me who I was supposed to see? Any way one of the main guys told me my resume was pretty impressive and when I actually got into the interview the gentleman told me they weren't actually hiring(go figure)then why do you even have a position listed for gq if I was over qualified then just say so and I'll go find a real shop that knows how to use my expertise.

I had an appointment with WM not long ago. I took a day off from work, then WM called and left a message a day before my interview to tell me they made a mistake and had to reschedule. I never called them back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Mocksville, North Carolina

90 months ago

Good job, I wouldn't give them the time of day either.For such a BIG company they sure don't seem to be "with" it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James in Douglasville, Georgia

89 months ago

After 2 years of attempting to meet with anyone I finally got an interview. When I arrived 20 minutes early, the receptionist seemed dumbfounded. She had good reason because the human resources manager had no knowledge of my interview. They were not hiring for the position I had been screened 2 months prior. When initially screened I was told the interview was 200 miles from the actual job location. This was incorrect and I did not go to the erroneous interview location. They use a 3rd party recruiting service who appears to be totally incompetent. I called this service to express my dissatisfaction and to delete any profiles and/or applications. I have worked for enough dysfunctional organizations in my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat McDowell in Kenosha, Wisconsin

88 months ago

I have experience with both the hiring procedures and HR personnel @ WM. They should change their name to Wasted Management. What a joke for being a fortune 200 company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Westland, Michigan

88 months ago

i went for a interview at wm and never got a call back.boy i tank there just picky who they hire.but they dont pay good.so y be so pick.i wouldnt want to work for a company like that.they can stick it up there ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan

63 months ago

I just had a wonderful experience (NOT!) with Waste Management. I applied for their Inside Sales Rep position and received a call for an interview. After my interview with their HR person, she asked me if I had time to stay for an additional interview. I told her "yes" so she sent me into a conference room with two other women who took turns firing off interview questions at me. Afterwards, they said they'd give me a call in about a week. The HR woman called back before the week was up, asked me if I'd come in again for another interview with the head of the department. I said of course. When I got there, I was placed in a conference room and was interviewed by two different people: the supervisor of the department I was applying for and her supervisor. They proceeded to ask questions for about an hour, each taking turns. When the guy finished all his questions, he turned over the sheet he was reading from, pulled out his Iphone & started texting on it - while I was answering his last question. The woman was checking her watch in between writing down my answers. That was two weeks ago. I got this in my email today:

Dear ___,

We appreciate your interest in joining Waste Management. However, after a review of your submission information we have concluded that we will not be continuing the recruiting process with you. As a result, at this time you are no longer being considered for the position. If you have applied to multiple positions with us please use the "workbench" tab on our career site to determine which position this email applies.

We also encourage you to continue to visit our careers page at www.wm.com and apply for current and future positions.

We wish you success in your career endeavors.

Sincerely,

Waste Management Recruiting

I'm glad I'm not working for them. If they treat prospective employees like this, imagine how they treat their employees!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jrm5204 in Essington, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Sounds like they used you for training.

They were posting the same position in my area over and over for months not long ago. I had a telephone interview, got a e-mail said they chose someone else, but they kept posting the same job. I even seen it posted on Craigslist one time. I guess they were collecting resumes and practicing interviewing people for a job they were not really offering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan

63 months ago

Jrm5204 in Essington, Pennsylvania said: Sounds like they used you for training.

They were posting the same position in my area over and over for months not long ago. I had a telephone interview, got a e-mail said they chose someone else, but they kept posting the same job. I even seen it posted on Craigslist one time. I guess they were collecting resumes and practicing interviewing people for a job they were not really offering.

You know, you might be right. Right after I got that email this morning, I found that same position still advertised on the site I found it at. I find that interesting because training was supposed to start this past Monday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Pinehurst, North Carolina

63 months ago

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan said: You know, you might be right. Right after I got that email this morning, I found that same position still advertised on the site I found it at. I find that interesting because training was supposed to start this past Monday.

Stay away from WM. The reason you always see ads for the same positions is because all they do is use you, burn you, dump you and then replace you. I have worked for WM for approx a year and they are terrible. The District Manager and Route Manager only care about their bonus. They acheive this by keeping their overhead low. This is done by not providing the proper safety equipment and not hiring the much needed people.

If you have ever worked in the transportation field then you know that unless you have been a driver or helper, you can not be a good manager. These jokers have never been a driver or a driver helper yet they assume that if it looks good on paper then it will work in the field.

I do not know how the rest of the company works but if it is being ran like the Sanford and Pinebluff NC. sites are ran then I would STAY AWAY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Roy Boy in Canada in Toronto, Ontario

37 months ago

Originally sent October 7th, 2011
To: Waste Management,

Roughly 20 days ago, I received a call from your online recruiting office in regards to the Waste Management Tire Technician posting in Stony Creek, Ontario. Your online recruiter (A) was very pleasant and professional in regards to the pre-recruitment phone call. During this phone call, recruiter (A) asked me some preliminary questions regarding medical, driver’s status, and professional credentials regarding the above position. What’s more, after I had answered all of her questions in full she informed me that I would be moving on to the next phase of the recruiting process. She then told me that a recruiter from Waste Management would be calling to do a follow up regarding my application.

After about 14 days with no follow up phone call, I began to think that my application had been over looked or something? I called recruiter (A) back to let her know that I had not received a follow up call as of yet. In a professional manner, her reply was that the recruitment office was backed up and that it may take an additional week to get back to me. She ended by saying “If you don’t hear back from us by Friday call me and I’ll look into it”. Today is Friday October 7th; I just called recruiter (A) back she informed me that the job had been filled.

It is of my opinion that the Waste Management recruitment process is flawed and non transparent. I’m very offended that I was not allowed do process in regards to the position. I’m sorry that I wasted my time applying and answering questions…I’ll be sure to spread the word about your recruitment scheme with my fellow tire mechanics and fellow truck drivers.

Yours truly,
R Morency

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Sacramento, California

32 months ago

Roy Boy in Canada in Toronto, Ontario said: Originally sent October 7th, 2011
To: Waste Management,

Roughly 20 days ago, I received a call from your online recruiting office in regards to the Waste Management Tire Technician posting in Stony Creek, Ontario. Your online recruiter (A) was very pleasant and professional in regards to the pre-recruitment phone call. During this phone call, recruiter (A) asked me some preliminary questions regarding medical, driver ’s status, and professional credentials regarding the above position. What’s more, after I had answered all of her questions in full she informed me that I would be moving on to the next phase of the recruiting process. She then told me that a recruiter from Waste Management would be calling to do a follow up regarding my application.

After about 14 days with no follow up phone call, I began to think that my application had been over looked or something? I called recruiter (A) back to let her know that I had not received a follow up call as of yet. In a professional manner, her reply was that the recruitment office was backed up and that it may take an additional week to get back to me. She ended by saying “If you don’t hear back from us by Friday call me and I’ll look into it”. Today is Friday October 7th; I just called recruiter (A) back she informed me that the job had been filled.

It is of my opinion that the Waste Management recruitment process is flawed and non transparent. I’m very offended that I was not allowed do process in regards to the position. I’m sorry that I wasted my time applying and answering questions…I’ll be sure to spread the word about your recruitment scheme with my fellow tire mechanics and fellow truck drivers .

Yours truly,
R Morency

they probably gave the job to a friend of someone who works there- integrity ain't their finest attribute

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Ray in Pinehurst, North Carolina said: Stay away from WM. The reason you always see ads for the same positions is because all they do is use you, burn you, dump you and then replace you. I have worked for WM for approx a year and they are terrible. The District Manager and Route Manager only care about their bonus. They acheive this by keeping their overhead low. This is done by not providing the proper safety equipment and not hiring the much needed people.

If you have ever worked in the transportation field then you know that unless you have been a driver or helper , you can not be a good manager. These jokers have never been a driver or a driver helper yet they assume that if it looks good on paper then it will work in the field.

I do not know how the rest of the company works but if it is being ran like the Sanford and Pinebluff NC. sites are ran then I would STAY AWAY!!!!

In the good ole days (burgundy trucks) WM's managers (even the GM) , OPS manager, route manager and even dispatcher were all seasoned guys who had at one time been driver's and even drove routes when the Union went on strike, these guys had garbage in their veins and loved the business and cared about it...long gone are those days. WM long ago sold its soul to Wall Street and the Q4 report, now college boys run the show and it doesn't matter if your degree is in business or some liberal arts crap like humanities, know it alls who know nothing of any real import to the job they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

D Cam in Wixom, Michigan said:
Dear ___,

We appreciate your interest in joining Waste Management. However, after a review of your submission information we have concluded that we will not be continuing the recruiting process with you. As a result, at this time you are no longer being considered for the position. If you have applied to multiple positions with us please use the "workbench" tab on our career site to determine which position this email applies.

We also encourage you to continue to visit our careers page at www.wm.com and apply for current and future positions.

We wish you success in your career endeavors.

Sincerely,

Waste Management Recruiting

I'm glad I'm not working for them. If they treat prospective employees like this, imagine how they treat their employees!

wow-what a brusque, arrogantly worded response. Most companies simply say " Thank you for seeking employment with XYZ company but we have selected another qualified candidate for the position. We appreciate the time you spent with us in the interview process and we wish you the best in your future endeavors. " Period. Who the h*ll is running their HR processes...why antagonize people and make a bad reputation for the company-which posts here prove is happening.Very unwise business practices.
you are correct it seems you are a meaningless number prior to employment and you will remain that way if they hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Matawan, New Jersey

11 months ago

i was shocked to find this comment list. my story - to keep it simple i too have applied for a position with no success and have bit my tongue to apply for a lower ranking job. amazingly my complete app and flawless resume and all their supporting forms were submitted properly with NO success. i received a "not selected" email approximately a week afterward. i just went on their website and two other job search engines and there it is a brand new posting for the same job i applied for! please take some truthful advice and stay away unless you are limited to opportunities in your local area. thank goodness i have a job and there is unlimited ways to earn money near me. WM get it together! good luck folks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

saenzmarvin72@gmail.com in Pasadena, Texas

5 months ago

I think waste management is a good company they traine you for the job you are expected to do I think is a good company to start the career .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

t.thomaselli@yahoo.com in El Cajon, California

5 months ago

saenzmarvin72@gmail.com in Pasadena, Texas said: I think waste management is a good company they traine you for the job you are expected to do I think is a good company to start the career .

WM is a super company to work for. I worked for them for 5 years,
and very much miss that position and the people. Perks were good
too.

wm lies in erie, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

Wm is a bad place. Stay away

Tigerman12 in East Orange, New Jersey

5 months ago

I have read several of these experiences with Waste Management and none of them sound like a solid employment and I called Waste Management in which a recruiter told me that their still making a selection for the position in Newark, New Jersey and I should be looking out for a phone call or email from them and that was told to me on June 27,2014 and I reapplied to the Newark driver's job so I hope that I receive the commercial driver's job and Newark has about 75% felony criminals in which I'm from Union, New Jersey with no criminal records nor points on his CDL WM should hire me and I'm dedicated too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.